Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

27 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

^^^ who knows.  the way i'm looking at it is this. TWill is smarter than making up a story that involves so many different characters (guy he got into an accident with, the insurance company, his neighbor, the officer), where the totality of the story relies upon each person confirming his part of the story. 

at least i'm hoping he's smarter than that. 

I mean this is the guy who raced someone while drunk in the parking lot of XTC Cabaret at 5am while barefooted. Not real sure how smart he is. He could have sliced his foot open running over some broken glass or a nail. 

In case folks are wondering where we stand with cap space.....

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/05/21/what-dallas-cowboys-cap-space-looks-like-now-deals-draft-picks-finalized

The club sunk roughly $17.7 million of guaranteed money into signing this class. Four of the five players the Cowboys selected in the first four rounds — linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, guard Connor Williams, Gallup and tight end Dalton Schultz — have a chance to start or compete for significant playing time in their rookie seasons.

Gallup's signing leaves the Cowboys with just under $9 million in salary cap space. The club will add another $3 million to that total in less than two weeks since it designated cornerback Orlando Scandrick as a post June 1 cut.

Williams isnt getting cut....we went over this in the dez stuff

It will cost us $$$ to cut him 

He will be on the team and possibly get suspended but it was a first offense in the eyes of the NFL so maybe just a fine

He didnt beat anyone that we know of so has of now its just a bad decision that a lot of people make

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

12 million in cap space is a decent amount. Are there going to be any decent vets around after June 1 to target? 

10 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Williams isnt getting cut....we went over this in the dez stuff

It will cost us $$$ to cut him 

He will be on the team and possibly get suspended but it was a first offense in the eyes of the NFL so maybe just a fine

He didnt beat anyone that we know of so has of now its just a bad decision that a lot of people make

Guys on the radio this morning said that, if he gets suspended by the NFL, the Cowboys could cut him and save 3.75 mil in salary cap $.

I’m going off memory so my numbers may be a tad off.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We have Jeff Heath, guys. We are solidified at the safety position.

Heath is the backup. Woods is the free safety and Frazier is the strong safety. It would be awesome to get Earl Thomas but if not we will roll with those guys. Safety play was pretty far down the list of problems with the team last year

22 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Heath is the backup. Woods is the free safety and Frazier is the strong safety. It would be awesome to get Earl Thomas but if not we will roll with those guys. Safety play was pretty far down the list of problems with the team last year

frazier hasn’t won that job yet.  heath is still the starter. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

frazier hasn’t won that job yet.  heath is still the starter. 

Frazier played a ton towards the end of the year and was a big reason they decided Byron Jones was better off moving to corner. Our weak run defense needs him in or near the box

Heath might beat out Woods though. I like Xaviers speed and nose for turnovers but coaches do love the ole coach on the field. Much like the Cowboys defense, Heath has improved incrementally from "terrible" to "ok sometimes"

Edited by cmontexas

So this is interesting. Could be looked at two ways as I see it. 1) They are still all in on Chaz Green and want to get him reps, 2) They are abandoning Chaz Green and are throwing him out there early on to give him one more chance. Also someone was asking about Showers. He got an INT yesterday, though it was off of Dalton Sturm (who?).

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article211770404.html#navlink=Lead

With Martin out, Chaz Green worked at right guard with the first team during Wednesday’s practice. Green had a forgettable season a year ago, particularly the debacle in Atlanta when he couldn’t contain Adrian Clayborn.

Starting at tight end, with Witten retired, was Geoff Swaim, the most-tenured tight end on the roster. Swaim is entering his fourth season with the team.

Blake Jarwin, who joined the team as an undrafted free agent last year, also got reps at tight end with the first team.

Donovan Olumba, an undrafted corner out of Portland State, came away with an interception off a deflection on a pass thrown by Dalton Sturm. Sturm threw an interception later in practice with former Texas A&M quarterback-turned-DB Jameill Showers coming down with it.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/23/dallas-cowboys-chaz-green-zack-martin-otas-contract-dispute/

What’s interesting is the club signed Marcus Martin and Joe Looney in the offseason. Both can play both center and guard. After drafting Connor Williams from the University of Texas in the second round to play left guard, the team choosing Green over the other veterans to be the first guard off the bench is noteworthy.

Also a Rico sighting, though Jerry may want to make sure you only see Rico in the future and not hear him

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/news/delightful-cowboys-sight-rico-gathers-engaging-grind

It was a delightful sight: Rico Gathers wasn't doing anything spectacular on the field, he wasn't performing a rap song, he wasn't issuing a pithy quote -- all of which he's fully capable of.

He was simply lined up in a special-teams coverage drill, taking his turn in a mundane practice, involving himself in the grind of being a potential NFL roster member with the task of rolling a boulder up a hill.

"I could just tell by the drift of the season and the drift of the coaching staff that I probably wasn’t going to play this last year, anyway," he said of his 2017 season, when a concussion sidelined him for, seemingly, forever.

Gathers said he was cleared medically to come back at midseason (something maybe the Cowboys brass would prefer he keep a lid on) and Gathers said he could've really helped the offense last season.

"The biggest thing for me,'' Rico said, "is just making it to the regular season. I have to make sure I'm healthy and and make sure I'm able to be on somebody's 53-man roster.''

It'd be nice if that "somebody'' was the Cowboys. Delusions of grandeur, though, will help less than learning how to cover punts on special teams.

CVZoQULXAAEcL0e.jpg

On 5/21/2018 at 4:52 PM, gsoda3 said:

^^^ who knows.  the way i'm looking at it is this. TWill is smarter than making up a story that involves so many different characters (guy he got into an accident with, the insurance company, his neighbor, the officer), where the totality of the story relies upon each person confirming his part of the story. 

at least i'm hoping he's smarter than that. 

LOL..... 

3a65a253-dfff-4e0d-b316-8d79b5b2fa18.gif

Footage and pics from his arrest.... He's trashed out of his mind.  For those without any common sense, maybe he was just concussed???

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/24/terrance-williams-crashed-car-photos/

0524-terrance-williams-crashed-car-launc

In the pic gallery you can clearly see the light pole he knocked over....

The video is hilarious, he couldn't ride his bike and couldn't communicate what he was doing, where he was going, and what had happened....

0524-terrance-williams-car-wm-3.jpg

When cops were grilling Williams about the accident, he said he wasn't the driver, according to the police report ... and blamed the crash on an "idiot" friend Kendall Wright. 

According to the police report, Terrance said Kendall left the crash scene and went to a club -- but called Terrance to let him know where to find the car. 

Cops didn't believe Terrance ... because Williams' cell phone was actually inside the Lamobo. 

Plus, cops say they found the key to the vehicle in Terrance's pocket when they searched him....

Terrance later released a statement saying he did NOT hit a light pole -- and only crashed after swerving to avoid a driver in front of him who had slammed on the brakes. Williams didn't say what he hit, only saying he hopped the curb. 

But, the photos show the Lambo right next to a downed light pole ... with obvious damage to the front left side of the car. 

He's obviously lying and I get it.... Don't need to admit a DWI, but this is a bad, bad look.....

On 5/12/2018 at 4:38 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

So first he's a RB..... then Stephen makes up a word and calls him a web back, whatever the fuck that is, and says he's going to get the ball a dozen to two dozen times.  That's one of the dumber things said this season.  Now.... he's back to being a WR first!

I'm joking obviously and it feels like they envision Austin being like Lucky and Dunbar all in one, but it's funny to see how they trip all over the dicks trying to communicate why they traded for him and what his role may be.

He's a running back again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/23/dallas-cowboys-tavon-austin-running-back/

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Release him and move on from the last of the stale WR core we had. I think the language in his contact says if he gets suspended, his guaranteed money is forfeited. This is the perfect opportunity to cut our ties. He's fucking worthless anyways.

Maybe if he actually gets suspended, sure. But he's not right now and it would be idiotic to cut him before we even have the WR roster sorted out.

Maybe if he actually gets suspended, sure. But he's not right now and it would be idiotic to cut him before we even have the WR roster sorted out.

If there is any loophole where they could cut him and save his salary, either through suspension or being arrested they should it.

There are tons of WR’s out there they could get way cheaper and be just as productive. You do realize TWill didn’t catch a single TD pass last year.

I can't remember if the NFL suspends for DWIs -- do they? Also, I'm not sure they'll be able to nail him with a DWI here because he left the scene. A good attorney should get him off on that charge. Now the PI and destruction of public property and leaving the scene of an accident -- yeah, they got him dead-to-rights on those charges.

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

If there is any loophole where they could cut him and save his salary, either through suspension or being arrested they should it.

There are tons of WR’s out there they could get way cheaper and be just as productive. You do realize TWill didn’t catch a single TD pass last year.

that's why I said if he's actually suspended and they can get an out. Otherwise we've already been through how it makes no financial sense to cut him. Plus you have a lot of unknowns at WR