Vacationing in times of Covid

LABEVO

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

Anyone making summer plans to places that are currently closed to visitors, like Japan or Australia? Most countries are admitting travelers but there are a few countries that are closed off.

I booked a trip to North Korea, but I’m having a little trouble with the red tape 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

In all seriousness, I just got a negative PCR test from both CVS and Walgreens, as I'm headed to the Maldives tomorrow.  In my experience, Walgreens was better.  Both were drive thru tests and took around 36 hours for results, but Walgreens sent a QR code that lets you save the result to your phone immediately.  Walgreens pharmacy tech was more helpful as well, but your results may vary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Throwing caution to the wind and just booked Italy for this summer.  Was texting with a friend in Italy who said its definitely better than it used to be... proof of vax and you can do whatever you want.  They're also less stringent on quarantine if you get it.  I think this summer will be fine.

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Throwing caution to the wind and just booked Italy for this summer.  Was texting with a friend in Italy who said its definitely better than it used to be... proof of vax and you can do whatever you want.  They're also less stringent on quarantine if you get it.  I think this summer will be fine.

did the same thing.  booked late july for lake como and lake garda.

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

did the same thing.  booked late july for lake como and lake garda.

Northern part of Garda is great but by late July, you may want to practice your German-speaking skills.  Check out Lago di Tenno, just north or Riva del Garda.  If you're brave, go for a swim.  Cool alpine water.  I will say swimming at the beaches up on Riva del Garda is a blast.  Enjoy it!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Going in June.  Will be my 3rd Italy trip.  Pumped.

• Hook 'Em 1

My neighbor has a trip to Spain coming up. He was telling me a little trick he learned from his son, who's living somewhere in Europe for a year or 2. If you're traveling somewhere in the Euro Green Zone, you can book a (cancel-able) stay in Switzerland and then sign up on online for the Green Pass, and then cancel your stay in Switzerland. Switzerland supposedly has the best website to get the pass, and you can sign up for it as long as you have a hotel stay already booked - you don't need to be on the ground in the country to get the pass, nor do you have to even go to the country for the pass to work. This way you'd get it all taken care of before your trip, and save time and potential hassle once you're at your destination. Thought I'd pass it along.

• Like 3

Just now, rage-a-holic said:

Anyone have a good resource for current EU restrictions/requirements? May be heading to various EU spots in April. Do I just waive around my flimsy, stained paper CDC record?

Bring that but I pretty much can guarantee that whatever the rules are now will be different later

13 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You think the rules are gonna be much different in 8 weeks?

Definitely.  Depends on the country, some will be more strict than currently, some will be less.  Like the aforementioned Denmark that has declared COVID to be over.

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Definitely.  Depends on the country, some will be more strict than currently, some will be less.  Like the aforementioned Denmark that has declared COVID to be over.

Europe will open up over the course of the next 2 months (my prediction). U.K. was first to reopen, mainly because we were 4 to 6 weeks ahead of the continent with respect to Omicron.

Just now, Doug E. Fresh said:

Europe will open up over the course of the next 2 months (my prediction). U.K. was first to reopen, mainly because we were 4 to 6 weeks ahead of the continent with respect to Omicron.

That just means it'll be time for the next wave, from Zeta or whatever.  

Anyone have a good resource for current EU restrictions/requirements? May be heading to various EU spots in April. Do I just waive around my flimsy, stained paper CDC record?

If get the covi pass app set up. Then when you get to your EU destination, you hit a pharmacy and give them your CDC card. They turn that into a euro record with QR code, you scan that into the app, and if you have to show vax anywhere, you show your phone. They won’t accept a CDC card at actual places of business, if they have a vax requirement.
  • Like 1

Europe travel restrictions and testing look to be coming to an end soon for those that are vaccinated. Booster might be required depending on timing of 2nd jab.

UK likely to bin all remaining Covid restrictions later this month, about a month earlier then anticipated. In London, the talk about and concerns around Covid are quickly fading. It’s not something I think about much at all these days.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:25 PM, texasdago said:

There's going to be a point in Europe when each country does their own thing.  The rules in Greece were looser than Italy last summer.  

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

So like South Austins mom?

Yes, Greece loosened the rules, but only if you entered by the back door.

• Haha 2

We booked a 12 day Baltic cruise, that hits 10 countries, for August 2023. This damn virus better be over by then... but that's what we've been saying for 2 years, so who knows. Don't usually book cruises for Europe, but this has 2 days in St. Petersburg, and you don't have to mess with any Russian visas. Plus, we get to spend time in a lot of places and don't have to worry about accommodations and such. Booked with Oceania, which is a smaller ship, and a bit nicer, than the standard cruise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Europe travel restrictions and testing look to be coming to an end soon for those that are vaccinated. Booster might be required depending on timing of 2nd jab.

UK likely to bin all remaining Covid restrictions later this month, about a month earlier then anticipated. In London, the talk about and concerns around Covid are quickly fading. It’s not something I think about much at all these days.

France has already changed it to a booster being required to be considered fully vaccinated if you are 7 or 9 months (cannot remember which) past your 2nd shot.  Not sure if they will update that to be 9 months from the last shot, you need another one.  I am going to talk to my Dr. before my trip in May and see if another booster might be wise.  I got my Pfizer booster in late November, then had Omicron in Mid December.  So I should be GTG, but you never know.

So the CDC came out recently and decided inbound testing is still needed.  Even though I can go lick people in a covid icu unit anywhere in the US and get on a plane no questions asked.  And they wonder why everyone thinks the CDC is a complete joke.   Hopefully the morons will come to their senses soon but as long as its in place realize the rule is NOT 24 hours before departure.  It's within 1 day.   eg my flight left Belize at 445pm on Friday.  I had my test done at 10am on Thursday.  Completely fine. 

• 1 month later...

Bump.  I got an itch to go to London for a soccer match in Mid may.   6 days.   Looking for a place to go before hand.  Match is on Sunday May 15.  Would leave the 16th.   Was thinking of Amsterdam again because I didn't have much time there a few years ago and missed the Rijksmuseum last time but not really sure about how easy it is to move from the Netherlands through Belgium on a train with covid etc even though they are loosening pretty quick.   Maybe I just see more of the UK?  Any suggestions?   I went to Ireland probably 10 years ago.  Maybe do that again?

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Scotland if you've never been.  Start in Edinburgh and go as far north into the Highlands as you have time for.  Absolutely beautiful.

I like this.  Never been.  Ill have 3-4 days before needing to head to London.  Is that enough time?  Can I just base out of Edinburgh and do day trips etc? 

On 2/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, midtown said:

So the CDC came out recently and decided inbound testing is still needed.  Even though I can go lick people in a covid icu unit anywhere in the US and get on a plane no questions asked.  And they wonder why everyone thinks the CDC is a complete joke.   Hopefully the morons will come to their senses soon but as long as its in place realize the rule is NOT 24 hours before departure.  It's within 1 day.   eg my flight left Belize at 445pm on Friday.  I had my test done at 10am on Thursday.  Completely fine. 

Any new news on this? Friend of mine is leaving CR tomorrow to head back to Texas. He just headed into town to get his test done. Right now I’m booked to fly home in mid April and hoping I won’t have to get tested by then. Of all the stupid shit the CDC has done the last few years this may be the worst.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Any new news on this? Friend of mine is leaving CR tomorrow to head back to Texas. He just headed into town to get his test done. Right now I’m booked to fly home in mid April and hoping I won’t have to get tested by then. Of all the stupid shit the CDC has done the last few years this may be the worst

I follow the travel industry pretty well and not even a hint that they will drop this from what I've seem.   Brian Kelly has been hammering them publicly for a while now about illogical it is.  

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:
Scotland if you've never been.  Start in Edinburgh and go as far north into the Highlands as you have time for.  Absolutely beautiful.

We are doing a week in Scotland the week of Thanksgiving. What do you recommend?

I'm lucky that my wife lived there as a kid and still has family all over the country so we had free places to stay and free tour guides everywhere.  Glasgow really didn't do much for me but Loch Lomond was cool.  I really liked Edinburgh and it just get's more beautiful as you get into the highlands. When we go back I think we'll keep the planning to a minimum and just drive around to as much as we can get to. If you can spend some time on one of the isles you should.  Wife spent a lot of time on Arran, so I've been hearing about it since we met.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welp.  Mask mandate will be extended again.  15 more days to May 3.   It's time to just accept that the CDC and the administration is completely brain dead and has every intention of making this permanent for complete theater.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, midtown said:

Welp.  Mask mandate will be extended again.  15 more days to May 3.   It's time to just accept that the CDC and the administration is completely brain dead and has every intention of making this permanent for complete theater.  

What does that gain them?  The vast majority of Americans, on both sides of the aisle, are over this.  There is nothing to be gained but further alienation.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What does that gain them?  The vast majority of Americans, on both sides of the aisle, are over this.  There is nothing to be gained but further alienation.

I can't understand it.   There is zero science behind it and no support for it from anyone.  Not passengers, not the airlines, and every FA I've talked to about it is also done with it.   If you are afraid of a mask less plane then drive or zoom your meeting.   It's just adding to people mistrusting the CDC.  It will take decades for them to regain any credibility.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

They are unwilling to give up their magic talisman.

For longest time I would have laughed at this comment with the assumption that there was some rational behind the masks on planes and I held the belief that if you dont like the mask mandates then don't fly but now even us pro maskers have had it and I agree now that its ego. 

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

I'm lucky that my wife lived there as a kid and still has family all over the country so we had free places to stay and free tour guides everywhere.  Glasgow really didn't do much for me but Loch Lomond was cool.  I really liked Edinburgh and it just get's more beautiful as you get into the highlands. When we go back I think we'll keep the planning to a minimum and just drive around to as much as we can get to. If you can spend some time on one of the isles you should.  Wife spent a lot of time on Arran, so I've been hearing about it since we met.

I agree with all of this. Edinburgh is a terrific town. We only spent a day there, but I wish we had spent more. St Andrews is a must if you like golf at all and isn’t too far from Edinburgh. Loch Lomond is beautiful as is the area around it. I could just drive through Scotland and stop in every little town for a pint or tea.