2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

The BON article on this made sure to remind everybody that we lost Mike Williams to LSU a year or so ago--like this was a trend. I can't find Williams on the LSU roster at all, let alone on the 2- or 3-deep. Don't  know what happened to him. With Williams, I'm tempted to say not that much of a loss. Don't know what we'll say about Warren in a year or so.

How did I instantly know which dumbass wrote the article when I read the first line you wrote?  He also linked Mike Williams to:
https://dknation.draftkings.com/2019/8/30/20841639/mike-williams-fantasy-football-dfs-salary-stats-2019?_ga=2.131690511.1295068422.1596841518-1318138775.1586205766

Brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Have we had an offseason yet where Josh Thompson and Taquon Graham weren't ready to have a huge year?  I swear we've heard this about both 4 years in a row. 

Is it though? I think both Sweat and Ojomo could easily be starters by end of fall camp or at least during the season.  I could easily see our best DL being Ossai, Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo. 

I think Sweat and Coburn are too similar to be playing at the same time. Unless we are playing the 2009 Alabama offense, I don’t think we need two nose tackle/zero techs on the field at the same time. 

46 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

How did I instantly know which dumbass wrote the article when I read the first line you wrote?  He also linked Mike Williams to:
https://dknation.draftkings.com/2019/8/30/20841639/mike-williams-fantasy-football-dfs-salary-stats-2019?_ga=2.131690511.1295068422.1596841518-1318138775.1586205766

Brilliant.

Yep. Asshole of assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chip Brown: Tom Herman's biggest concerns, position questions

AUSTIN, Texas — As the Texas Longhorns began fall camp Friday, Tom Herman listed his biggest concerns and position questions. As far as biggest concerns, No. 1 is the health and safety of his players. "It's about maintaining this level of diligence in our practice and meetings and preparation," Herman said. "It's one thing to get excited about it and really pay attention to it on day one. It's another on day 17, when we're still having to pull your mask up and wear the shields. So, just making sure that our guys stay motivated to adhere to the guidelines that have been put in front of them."

Herman's second-biggest concern: installation of the offense and defense. "We haven't practiced in eight months - not since Dec. 29," Herman said. "We missed the 15, full-speed practices in the spring. So, we're behind there, but not nearly as behind as we would've been in previous years because of all the walkthrough time and meeting time we've had."

Herman's third-biggest concern: developing young depth. "I think we figured roughly 80 to 90 percent of your scholarship roster is probably going to see the field at some point this year," Herman said. "They better be ready and accelerate these learning curves pretty quickly."

As far as position questions, Herman said No. 1 is finding two new starters on the offensive line. "That'll be an interesting battle and one that will involve a lot of guys," Herman said, mentioning Isaiah Hookfin, Tyler Johnson, Denzel Okafor and Christian Jones by name. Herman's second-biggest position question: linebacker. "We need to make sure the production and depth at that position is solidified," Herman said.

Ayodele Adeoye is expected to start at middle linebacker. But DeMarvion Overshown, who is expected to compete at weakside linebacker, missed voluntary workouts for personal reasons. And Juwan Mitchell posted on social media he was uncomfortable playing college football amid the country's social unrest. But Overshown and Mitchell have been full participants since mandatory team activities started last month.

Marcus Tillman Jr., David Gbenda and Jaden Hullaby are seen as up-and-comers at linebacker, and Texas is still waiting to find out the decision of Arizona grad transfer Tony Fields, who is considering Texas among his finalists (along with West Virginia and Minnesota).

Herman's third-biggest position question: cornerback. "The reason I think our battle at corner is going to be a very interesting one is we have four or five guys all capable of starting here at Texas," Herman said, referring to Jalen Green, D'Shawn Jamison, Josh Thompson and Kenyatta Watson. "It's gonna be a heck of a battle throughout training camp."

Jamison led the team in interceptions last season (three). Green is loaded with talent but fought through injuries last season. Thompson has been among the team's stars since voluntary workouts began in June, and Watson is considered one of the most explosive players on the team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I think Sweat and Coburn are too similar to be playing at the same time. Unless we are playing the 2009 Alabama offense, I don’t think we need two nose tackle/zero techs on the field at the same time. 

Fucking football board. 

just because they have the size to play nose doesn’t mean they aren’t explosive enough to be a DT tandem. Did you bemoan Shawn Rogers and Casey Hampton playing side by side? Two strong AF dudes? Just because Orlando stuck then at nose in his scheme doesn’t mean they can’t be a really, really good DT tandem. This is flawed thinking. 

that being said don’t worry, they probably won’t be on the field at the same time often, at least to start. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Justin Wells: UT practice quick-hitters - 7/8/20

After 222 days between practices, UT was back on the field yesterday and today, and it was a much-needed shot for the group. The cramp monster hit some of the players. Might need a PowerPoint on the pee chart refresher. Hydrate. A few players and freshmen have already flashed. Let’s go:

** CB Jalen Green had two INTs. D’Shawn Jamison was solid, Kenyatta Watson II got some run with the 1s.

** The defense looks a little farther along than the offense, but that’s two practices in. That’s a good thing, they should. When the offense’s timing sharpens, that’ll tilt some.

** The team, in general, just looks bigger. Noticeably. One bystander said he couldn’t remember the last time a Texas team looked this large.

** When cramps hit a few wideouts, Troy Omeire entered with the 1s and looks the part. He’s competing. He’s playing the X, Dajon Harrison is at slot, and Kelvontay Dixon at Z.

Speaking of East Texas...

** If there was any question if the Longhorns should have signed Kelvontay Dixon, those can be put to bed. He has already impressed two practices in. “He looks like he belongs. Smooth and fluid. Total body control.” In general, the source likes the WR room.

** Bijan Robinson continues to impress, as does Alfred Collins. “Those two guys look like 5-stars.”

** One source said the RB position “looks great early”. Keaontay Ingram looks like a potential “NFL back” out of the gate. Ingram has always been a fast starter, and strong practice player.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fucking football board. 

just because they have the size to play nose doesn’t mean they aren’t explosive enough to be a DT tandem. Did you bemoan Shawn Rogers and Casey Hampton playing side by side? Two strong AF dudes? Just because Orlando stuck then at nose in his scheme doesn’t mean they can’t be a really, really good DT tandem. This is flawed thinking. 

that being said don’t worry, they probably won’t be on the field at the same time often, at least to start. 

First of all I agree with your overall point. 

But don't you bring up Casey Hampton, sir. He is one of the greatest college football players of all time and nobody on our roster deserves that comparison. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

knew you were swam4texas

I didn't swam4texas. They won the national championship that year and I was more of a 3-star with potential type.

But if you go to an FCS school you can keep the childhood football fandom that comes from being born in Houston.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

Jeff Howe: Longhorns who have a chance to rise up the depth chart

In Horns247’s first look at Texas players to watch during fall camp, the focus was on those who are likely chomping at the bit to get on the practice field, followed by a rundown of players who need to make the most of preseason practice. Next up in our preseason series of Longhorns worth keeping an eye on, we take a look at the players for head coach Tom Herman and Co. who are sleepers with the potential to rise up the depth chart.

— Joshua Moore, WR, Soph.

After serving a season-long suspension from game action in 2019, Moore’s legal situation was resolved in February. The Longhorns are now counting on him to not only provide depth but also to be a playmaker in the vertical passing game. Moore made the most of his year on the scout team and all indications are that he’s ready to be a factor where it counts. If Tarik Black’s health doesn’t allow him to remain on the field and Brennan Eagles needs to spend extended time at X receiver (boundary) to make sure the best 11 players are on the field, Moore could be the next man up at Z receiver (field) and his value extends to other positions (he worked at H as a true freshman in 2018).

— Brayden Liebrock, TE, RS-Fr.

Outside of Cade Brewer’s experience, the tight end position is full of unknowns. Liebrock redshirted last season, but he was one of the top receiving tight ends in the country in the 2019 recruiting cycle. Between Liebrock, Malcolm Epps and Jared Wiley, Jay Boulware should be looking to see which tool any of those players possess that could be potentially elite or could at least make them an asset on the offensive side of the ball. Liebrock’s potential as a receiver could be more beneficial to Sam Ehlinger in his final season in burnt orange than Wiley’s ability as an in-line blocker or the potential Epps has to be a matchup issue over the middle of the field.

— Isaiah Hookfin, OL, RS-Fr.

The buzz around Hookfin was palpable heading into camp. In addition to what sources have told Horns247 about Hookfin’s progress, Herman and Herb Hand have gone on record since the end of the regular season to talk up Hookfin as a player who has flashed serious promise. It’s been expected throughout the offseason that Christian Jones, Denzel Okafor and Willie Tyler would be the primary candidates looked upon to fill the guard and tackle vacancies and finish out the offensive line around the nucleus of Junior Angilau, Samuel Cosmi and Derek Kerstetter. Even before the pads go on, however, Hookfin appears to have gotten himself squarely in the mix.

— Alfred Collins, DL, Fr.-HS

Texas doesn’t need true freshmen to contribute on the defensive line because the depth across the front appears to be one of the legitimate strengths of the 2020 squad. With that said, Collins just might be good enough to force his way into the mix right out of the gate and while it’s hard to consider a five-star signee a sleeper, Collins has a real chance to turn heads if he’s ready to grab the bull by the horns. He’s expected to be listed as a defensive end, but Collins is someone the staff reportedly feels can play multiple shades effectively. Especially if Myron Warren keeps his name in the NCAA transfer portal, Collins has a chance to earn playing time based on what he shows in camp.

— T'Vondre Sweat, DL, Soph.

Sweat was one of the pleasant surprises of camp last season. Considered a redshirt candidate when the Longhorns began practice last summer, Sweat played in each of the team’s 13 games in 2019 and he was in a position to be a breakout player in spring practice had it occurred. He’s athletic enough to play multiple shades, but his size (348 pounds) makes him a tremendous fit to play near the ball and be a consistent threat to collapse the pocket. Malcolm Roach called Sweat “probably the most physically gifted defensive lineman in our room” last season, which says a ton about the tools Sweat brings to the table.

— Kenyatta Watson II, CB, Fr.-RS

Horns247 has reported in recent weeks that the battle for the starting cornerback jobs is expected to be hotly-contested throughout camp. Herman confirmed as much when he met with reporters after Friday’s practice and Watson’s presence is a big reason why Jalen Green and D'Shawn Jamison are going to have to work to hold onto their spots. Watson made his presence felt for the first time by making a play in the end zone that helped Texas beat Texas Tech to close out the 2019 regular season. The win over the Red Raiders was one of four games in which Watson played in a redshirt year, but if he can get his elite athleticism and impressive testing numbers to translate to the field consistently, he’s going to get a lot more action in 2020.