Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

So it's Kielan for sure.

No but seriously we're almost Alabama level in terms of talent now. Holy shit. We don't rebuild, we reload.

I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m still taking a wait and see this weekend before I agree there’s a negligible drop off at the position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is an interesting concept.

If you look at the totality of his plays you see it...

When he doesn't have to think much and gets downhill he has crazy burst and the long K-State run shows his top end speed in the open, no one closed on him. 

You see his burst on the Houston run with elite cutting ability. You saw it vs Rice on the run he got hurt on. The best form of his burst I've actually seen was on a catch he had vs Kansas(I believe that was the opponent). It doesn't look like much but that acceleration after he breaks the tackle is damn good

Once he gets better vision of the hole and hits them with the acceleration and size he has he's doing to be damn good....and that will come IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just haven't seen the tight space quickness from Baxter that Brooks has been so good at this season, and what made Bijan so great. Blue also seems a lot better at it than Baxter. That skill just seems so critical in a Zone Read running type of offense. Like the poster above said, Baxter just might be the 3rd best back RIGHT NOW. His future will depend on if he can learn to be more like Brooks and Bijan.

6 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I just haven't seen the tight space quickness from Baxter that Brooks has been so good at this season, and what made Bijan so great. Blue also seems a lot better at it than Baxter. That skill just seems so critical in a Zone Read running type of offense. Like the poster above said, Baxter just might be the 3rd best back RIGHT NOW. His future will depend on if he can learn to be more like Brooks and Bijan.

So the key to success is trying to be more like players with a different skillset than you? 

What I don't get is that when Baxter was recruited, I was sold on the idea that he was in the realm of a Cedric Benson.  I love those kinds of backs.  He is yet to show me he is anything like that.  He's not as big, not as bruising.  I don't know how to really use him, but I don't think it's the way that we have been using him so far.

55 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What I don't get is that when Baxter was recruited, I was sold on the idea that he was in the realm of a Cedric Benson.  I love those kinds of backs.  He is yet to show me he is anything like that.  He's not as big, not as bruising.  I don't know how to really use him, but I don't think it's the way that we have been using him so far.

I dont think he has been healthy all year. He pops off a nice run and you say "there it is!!!". Then immediately limps off the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think he has been healthy all year. He pops off a nice run and you say "there it is!!!". Then immediately limps off the field. 

A lot of Brooks flashing last year was in garbage time too. Baxter's been in there scrapping early all year. He may never be the best in college football but he's going to be good. 

For RBs we're the most spoiled fan base (for good reason) in college football right now.

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

A lot of Brooks flashing last year was in garbage time too. Baxter's been in there scrapping early all year. He may never be the best in college football but he's going to be good. 

For RBs we're the most spoiled fan base (for good reason) in college football right now.

He is also a very good blocker. Probably the best in the RB room. That is pretty important given that Ewers is banged up and Texas is a passing team (pass to run), Keilan being healthy I would not be surprised to see it be mostly Baxter and Keilan. 

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't understand the under usage of Keilan Robinson.  Whenever he is on the field he breaks out big chunks of yard.  Looks to have decent hands out of the backfield too. 

He's been better this year but must have straight up fallen down about five times last year.

Blue is going to show out Saturday night.  He's got an incredible opportunity to take the RB position by storm this closing stretch.  He reminds me of Selvin Young; runs low to the ground, absorbs contact well, bounces it when needed, great instincts.  CANNOT WAIT  to see this young bull run hard and for Tashard Choice to be rewarded for keeping his head in the game during this long season

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't understand the under usage of Keilan Robinson.  Whenever he is on the field he breaks out big chunks of yard.  Looks to have decent hands out of the backfield too. 

Yeah, I'm surprised we don't find more ways to get him on the field and use that speed. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Blue also made some nice plays.  Really like him catching balls out of the backfield.  At a minimum, he is a stud third down back.  I am much less concerned about next two games and loss of Brooks with what we saw last night.

I think Blue could be that Keilan role for us moving forward.....except Blue has more ability as a RB than Keilan.

Nice power run by Blue on 4th and 1yd.  Big statement from coaches to give him that opportunity to ice the game.  Really like that Blue hit the LOS hard to get that crucial short yardage 1st down !!!   🤘

Huge run by CB4 on 1st and 15

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Brooks is going pro

He won’t be healthy for Pro Day. No way he comes out. His draft stock was sky rocketing. Now he has to prove himself again unfortunately. I loved that snap where Blue puts a hit on a DE & then slips out into the flat for a small dump pass gain. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

So every back on the roster is quicker/faster (better fit for this offense?) than Baxter. 

Could probably the say the same thing about Brooks. Brooks is a great back but he's also a very patient runner. Blue and Wisner look like they have a different gear than both Baxter/Brooks. 

I think we might have over thought this a bit offensively this year with inside zone so much. We got some dudes on the perimeter that should probably be getting more touches.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope all these touches convince Blue to stick around now. 

Blue, Baxter, potentially Brooks (later in the season), Wisner, and Gibson will give us a ton of talent next if we can keep all those guys. I was thinking we needed to potentially add a transfer but now keeping Blue looks like the much better gameplan than going after a transfer. Blue > any transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hope all these touches convince Blue to stick around now. 

Blue, Baxter, potentially Brooks (later in the season), Wisner, and Gibson will give us a ton of talent next if we can keep all those guys. I was thinking we needed to potentially add a transfer but now keeping Blue looks like the much better gameplan than going after a transfer. Blue > any transfer. 

Is brooks coming back? 

9 hours ago, bluto said:

So every back on the roster is quicker/faster (better fit for this offense?) than Baxter. 

This is just wrong. If speed was the prerequisite for being an offensive fit, we would have watched KRob as the starter the last 2 years 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

JBrooks lets you get away with that.

Definitely but we probably should have been giving Blue a few touches a game on the perimeter. He looks like a big play waiting to happen every other touch. 

I think Sark had lost faith in Blue after the Wyoming fumble and all the offseason bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely but we probably should have been giving Blue a few touches a game on the perimeter. He looks like a big play waiting to happen every other touch. 

I think Sark had lost faith in Blue after the Wyoming fumble and all the offseason bullshit. 

Yeah, plus no one expected the JB24 injury.

i like the inside/outside game he’s calling now. Baxter ran with authority last night and Blue just needs a crease.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know about "fit" but I do think Sark was probably a little too attached to inside zone this year. 

Inside zone is a staple of his offense. I don’t think that is going to change. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1