Amy Coney Barrett

Anastasis

13 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

She really has you worked up. 

I’ve said this here before I think, but having 7 kids, 2 of which are adopted, almost precludes the mom from being a vile person. The amount of self sacrifice is off the charts. 

Worked up? Not really. Nothing the conservative SC will do is going to hurt me, my family, or my business in any way. She's just got the same "I'm a smug piece of shit" vibe that Tom Herman does. 

Also one of the most hypocritical, judgemental, racist shitbag couples I know in my social circle has a bunch of kids with a few adopted. That doesn't mean anything.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You should consider growing up.

Says the most openly racist dude on this board. The piece of shit you're voting for openly mocks people with disabilities and you're telling me to grow up for making a snap judgement about someone looking like a smug douche? I'm pretty sure I could take one look at you and tell that you're a hateful redneck, and I would be absolutely right. 

Plus, this is Surly. Everyone gets shit talked about them. Shut the fuck up.

ETA. I don't want to short-sell Johnny Sack. 2nd Most.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Worked up? Not really. Nothing the conservative SC will do is going to hurt me, my family, or my business in any way. She's just got the same "I'm a smug piece of shit" vibe that Tom Herman does. 

Also one of the most hypocritical, judgemental, racist shitbag couples I know in my social circle has a bunch of kids with a few adopted. That doesn't mean anything.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The couple I know has a black kid. They drop n bombs regularly.

Sounds like you run with the wrong crowd.
I literally can’t remember the last time I heard the N word in my everyday life. Only music, movies, TV whatever.

I stand by my judgment re: moms of large families. There are exceptions to every rule. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Sounds like you run with the wrong crowd.
I literally can’t remember the last time I heard the N word in my everyday life. Only music, movies, TV whatever.

I stand by my judgment re: moms of large families. There are exceptions to every rule. 

Not somebody I hang out with willingly. Family friend.

And of course you don't hear the N word. The Trump voters in your neighborhood know better than to say it in front of you. But those same folks say it when they think they're in a friendly crowd.

Edited by BradInATX

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Knock what shit off, @wildcat09?

Criticizing her looks. Someone else criticized her voice earlier too. That shit is stupid and wrong. There's a thousand good reasons to oppose her nomination and they have to do with who she is and what she'll do, not what she looks or sounds like.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And of course you don't hear the N word. The Trump voters in your neighborhood know better than to say it in front of you. But those same folks say it when they think they're in a friendly crowd.

What about my black Trump supporting neighbor? Do you think he says it? 

Don’t project your hanging out with racists onto me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Criticizing her looks. Someone else criticized her voice earlier too. That shit is stupid and wrong. There's a thousand good reasons to oppose her nomination and they have to do with who she is and what she'll do, not what she looks or sounds like.

Eh. You're seeking outrage where it's not there.

I'm not criticizing her looks. She's an attractive woman. But her body language and facial expressions and mannerisms give off of a huge douchebag, smug, smarter-than-thou vibe. I've said the same thing about Tom Herman. Some people look like assholes. Fact of life. Plus, did you forget what board you're on?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

What about my black Trump supporting neighbor? Do you think he says it? 

Don’t project your hanging out with racists onto me. 

Well, the only racists I know are Republicans and Trump voters, so there's that. And sure, I have people in my circle that say racist shit. Nobody that I talk to directly but people that run with people I run with. So do you. 

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Eh. You're seeking outrage where it's not there.

I'm not criticizing her looks. She's an attractive woman. But her body language and facial expressions and mannerisms give off of a huge douchebag, smug, smarter-than-thou vibe. I've said the same thing about Tom Herman. Some people look like assholes. Fact of life. Plus, did you forget what board you're on?

Man, there’s a huge gulf between “smug douche” and “vile.”

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The couple I know has a black kid. They drop n bombs regularly.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You either made all of this up to support an idiotic internet post or you are a complete pussy.  Regardless, you're a cunt.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Man, there’s a huge gulf between “smug douche” and “vile.”

I think someone holding up a blank piece of paper when asked for her "notes" and smiling smugly as if to signify that she has no respect for the process because the morally-bankrupt GOP is going to ram her through no matter what is pretty vile.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think someone holding up a blank piece of paper when asked for her "notes" and smiling smugly as if to signify that she has no respect for the process because the morally-bankrupt GOP is going to ram her through no matter what is pretty vile.

Dude, i think she had no notes. Chill.

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sounds like a confident, highly competent woman. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

The Tom Herman comparison is actually a pretty good one. Putting her on the Supreme Court is very much like making Tom Herman the head coach at the University of Texas. Except imagine the twist that you could never fire Tom Herman as your coach. He’s just always there until he finally dies. 

She will likely be confirmed and the country  will just have to live with Tom Herman being one of their head coaches for a long while.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

If it wasn't for the Republicans avoiding a hearing and vote on Merrick Garland's nomination and confirmation, I wouldn't have any problem with Barrett being confirmed to the court.  The only issue I have with her nomination has nothing to do with her, she's a well qualified individual who would be fine as a conservative justice. But the problem is the recent history of the process, and how it has been politicized instead of handled fairly. She shouldn't be nominated right now, and it shouldn't happen until either Trump is re-elected, or after Biden is confirmed.

I'm honestly surprised the Republicans are moving forward with this appointment, I thought keeping an open seat on the SCOTUS was one of the driving factors in getting Trump elected in the first place. Putting "abortion" on the ballot again would seem like a no-brainer decision for the R's, and if they lose, just go forward with this process in Nov/Dec instead. If they really think this election is going to the SCOTUS again like in 2000, then I guess it makes sense, but man that will be a total shitshow of a case. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

If it wasn't for the Republicans avoiding a hearing and vote on Merrick Garland's nomination and confirmation, I wouldn't have any problem with Barrett being confirmed to the court.  The only issue I have with her nomination has nothing to do with her, she's a well qualified individual who would be fine as a conservative justice. But the problem is the recent history of the process, and how it has been politicized instead of handled fairly. She shouldn't be nominated right now, and it shouldn't happen until either Trump is re-elected, or after Biden is confirmed.

I'm honestly surprised the Republicans are moving forward with this appointment, I thought keeping an open seat on the SCOTUS was one of the driving factors in getting Trump elected in the first place. Putting "abortion" on the ballot again would seem like a no-brainer decision for the R's, and if they lose, just go forward with this process in Nov/Dec instead. If they really think this election is going to the SCOTUS again like in 2000, then I guess it makes sense, but man that will be a total shitshow of a case. 

So is our two party shitshow solely focused on partisan politics. 

12 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

It doesn’t matter what ACB thinks.  ZERO.  she is getting confirmed by these ghouls who know they are on their way out. 

what matters is how to rebalance the the courts.  GOP has made it clear that decorum and rules don’t matter.   Winner takes all.   

11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I know @Anastasis mocks @Brisketexan nothing maters mantra.  But when it comes to this nomination it is absolutely true.   ABC could stand up and yell F NI@@ers and the senate GOP would absolutely confirm her.  This is a sham, but affirmation that the GOP senators internal polls are matching up with the external polls. They know the gig is up.   

Now I hope the the Democrats are just as ruthless and are willing to do whatever to makeup for this fucking farce.  

This.   The gig is up, and they know it.  This is their last heroic stand.   Once she's in, they will desert Trump and turn on him, trying to salvage their own campaigns.

They are determined to get the Dems to admit their plan is to pack the court after they take control.   That admission would concrete their justification to their base as to why they have to ram through this appointment.   A preemptive strike.  

The Dems not making that admission is smart.  Because right now the GOP reasoning is based on hypothesis.   And as long as the Dems don't admit anything, then their cloak of justification is worthless.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No one attached much significance to it, but the guy who called him an n-word was black.

I'm not sure that deserves a whole lot of significance, except that we are constantly told that the word only has the toxic meaning ascribed to it by Kavanaugh (and Barrett herself) when it is uttered by a white person at a black person and becomes just another epithet, if that, when used by a black person to another black person.

Which to some extent undermines the bolded.

Also, the plaintiff had a terrible work history, full of job-related failures and discipline, none of which he apparently contested.  Which I think explains why this was a hostile environment case and not an outright discrimination case (adverse employment action/firing).  Strange, pretty weak case to try to make a big point about.

Think of the boss’s use of the word in the same way Stephen in Dijango Unchained used it. 

39 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This.   The gig is up, and they know it.  This is their last heroic stand.   Once she's in, they will desert Trump and turn on him, trying to salvage their own campaigns.

They are determined to get the Dems to admit their plan is to pack the court after they take control.   That admission would concrete their justification to their base as to why they have to ram through this appointment.   A preemptive strike.  

The Dems not making that admission is smart.  Because right now the GOP reasoning is based on hypothesis.   And as long as the Dems don't admit anything, then their cloak of justification is worthless.  

True.  But why should the dems admit to anything?  The proposal of adding SC justices would be a reaction to ramming ACB through and that is still playing out.  This is like asking a coach if he plans to go for 2 or kick the extra point at the end of the game during the halftime interview.   It depends on what happens.  As others have more succulently phrased it-  Fuck around and find out!

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1