Amy Coney Barrett

Anastasis

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

On the same day that Kavanaugh cites Bush v. Gore to disenfranchise voters.

We’ve been talking too small. We shouldn’t add two or four seats, we should add fucking twenty. The price for disenfranchising Americans needs to be beyond devastating.

meh.   STFU.

all your dead/ fake/ burning ballot votes disenfranchise plenty of folks.

Y'all so pure though...

' Dead, fake, burning ballots?  WTF?

20 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm more depressed about this than I thought I'd be. And I'm out of weed. And booze. Fuck 2020.

As to the above, I knew she would get confirmed but it just sank in that they will use here and the other 5 to steal the election in some way. 

50 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

FIVE of the sitting Supreme Court justices were selected by Presidents that lost the popular vote.

Talk about a loss for democracy. 

dude,  I get it most of us are pissed, but your numbers are wrong. 

Like it or not in 2004 Bush got more than 50% of the vote.  2000 was 2000, but Alito was nominated in 2005.   "but, but he wouldnt have been President in 2004 if he lost in 2000 and it wudda been Al Gore"  Maybe maybe not.  The last time we had a 2 term Pres followed by his VP, the new Pres was only 1 term. That could very well have happened then. We can never know. 

but it comes down to this, since 2014, when the Democrats had the Senate Majority, they have managed to lose SIX seats.    Elections have consequences. 

I'm guessing the Dems win back at least 4 of the lost senate seats, and maybe they can go ahead and nominate 4 more judges to the Supreme Court to make it all right.  

But shit if I'm the Dems after this, I go ahead and nominate 10 more judges to the court. 

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Like it or not in 2004 Bush got more than 50% of the vote.  2000 was 2000, but Alito was nominated in 2005.   "but, but he wouldnt have been President in 2004 if he lost in 2000 and it wudda been Al Gore"  Maybe maybe not.  The last time we had a 2 term Pres followed by his VP, the new Pres was only 1 term. That could very well have happened then. We can never know. 

but it comes down to this, since 2014, when the Democrats had the Senate Majority, they have managed to lose SIX seats.    Elections have consequences. 

I'm guessing the Dems win back at least 4 of the lost senate seats, and maybe they can go ahead and nominate 4 more judges to the Supreme Court to make it all right.  

But shit if I'm the Dems after this, I go ahead and nominate 10 more judges to the court. 

Oh wow, thanks.  That makes it so much better. 

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

By 2040 nearly 70% of Americans will live in 15 states. The Senate is untenable and needs to be abolished.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

States rights tho!  LMAO. Republicans don’t believe in anything except pure power. 

It’s actually refreshing. If any of them had the restraint that John Roberts does, we’d never be able to convince moderates what needs to be done. But damned if they haven’t radicalized even Angus King, who isn’t even a Democrat. For most of the past four years I’ve been very pessimistic that the Dems will do what needs to be done if they manage to win, but it’s looking at least possible if not likely now. That’s how badly the GOP has fucked this up.

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

By 2040 nearly 70% of Americans will live in 15 states. The Senate is untenable and needs to be abolished.

actually, the Senate is doing EXACTLY what the founding fathers wanted.  in 1790 the top 4 states Populations were 50.2% of the population of the whole United States. 

Its why the Senate was designed to allow an equal representation of each state in one branch of Congress. 

and as you are well aware it takes 38 states to agree to amend the Constitution.    So by your very definition, why the fuck would the 35 smaller states ever agree to lose the equal represenation in the Senate?

As to the above, I knew she would get confirmed but it just sank in that they will use here and the other 5 to steal the election in some way. 

The downside of completely destroying all norms is that one of the norms that they may well destroy is the willingness of the people to follow a judgment of the SCOTUS.

If they dictate a result that is contrary to the obvious will of the people, their judgment can and should be ignored. If you want to kill the legitimacy of the SCOTUS in one fell swoop, that’s how you do it. And norms aren’t nearly as sacred as they were back in 2000.

Be careful what you ask for, GOP. You just might get it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The downside of completely destroying all norms is that one of the norms that they may well destroy is the willingness of the people to follow a judgment of the SCOTUS.

If they dictate a result that is contrary to the obvious will of the people, their judgment can and should be ignored. If you want to kill the legitimacy of the SCOTUS in one fell swoop, that’s how you do it. And norms aren’t nearly as sacred as they were back in 2000.

Be careful what you ask for, GOP. You just might get it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

actually, the Senate is doing EXACTLY what the founding fathers wanted.  in 1790 the top 4 states Populations were 50.2% of the population of the whole United States. 

Its why the Senate was designed to allow an equal representation of each state in one branch of Congress. 

and as you are well aware it takes 38 states to agree to amend the Constitution.    So by your very definition, why the fuck would the 35 smaller states ever agree to lose the equal represenation in the Senate?

We’ll just get them really liquored up so they miss the vote.

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Lol, the founders put in the anti-democratically appointed Senate as a check against a democratically elected House.