Transfer of Power Thread

tx 3 putt

Ok seriously someone fill me in on the technicalities.  Sure, trump dies, pence gets sworn in asap.  But how incapacitated does Trump have to be for pence to take the reigns?  I know trump could sign it over, but what if he doesn't, or if he suddenly goes unconscious.  The extent not my knowledge of this comes from watching Air Force One. 

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Ok seriously someone fill me in on the technicalities.  Sure, trump dies, pence gets sworn in asap.  But how incapacitated does Trump have to be for pence to take the reigns?  I know trump could sign it over, but what if he doesn't, or if he suddenly goes unconscious.  The extent not my knowledge of this comes from watching Air Force One. 

Majority of the cabinet can invoke 25A at any time.  

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Man, the fqpping going on over this fantasy must be filling Kleenex, and sewer systems nation wide....

No fantasy here, pence is a bigger idiot than president potato head 

I’m also curious, how much can the hide his current condition ? Going on a ventilator less than 30 days before the election is a huge hit 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

No fantasy here, pence is a bigger idiot than president potato head 

I’m also curious, how much can the hide his current condition ? Going on a ventilator less than 30 days before the election is a huge hit 

I'd bet they're doing everything available to create a quick recovery ?  Did he go on a vent ?

He’s not on a ventilator, but he looked terrible in that video.  I’m sure they have him on oxygen when he’s not fake working from some random conference room for the cameras.

As far as succession, as noted, the 25th amendment controls here. 

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Wild card scenario : pence gets sick, pelosi moves up, can she rescind the Barrett nomination ???? 😂😂😂

In theory, yes. In practical terms, probably not.

Pompeo would immediately sue Pelosi over the Presidential Sucession Act, during the couple of days it took the SC to sort that out, McConnell would break every rule in the Senate to get Barrett on the court. If Pence tests positive while the President is hospitalized, my guess is McConnell will immediately move Barrett to the floor by any means necessary. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

It's pretty clearly laid out what happens if the President is incapacitated or dies. It's clear what happens if the Pres and VP both die. 

It's less clear, as I understand it, as to what happens if the Pres and VP are both incapacitated. 

Also less clear what happens if someone dies during or after the election.  

WAPO ran this recently which discusses some of it: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/continuity-government-trump-coronavirus/2020/10/02/f20143f8-04ca-11eb-897d-3a6201d6643f_story.html

Edited by BillyBadAss

What's interesting re: the House choosing the POTUS is that each state's delegation gets a single vote. According to the article The Dog posted, the GOP has a majority delegation in 26 states - but that would change after the election. The new Congress is sworn in Jan 3 and receives the Electoral College votes Jan 6. 

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Article form AP that explains what happens.

https://www.startribune.com/ap-explains-what-happens-if-a-candidate-for-president-dies/572630231/

Basically, if they can't figure out what to do with electors then the House chooses the president and the senate the VP.

I believe this is what actually happens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_(film)

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Reins

On 10/3/2020 at 8:46 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

It may not even be Pence that takes the reins.

spacer.png

On 10/3/2020 at 9:46 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

On 10/3/2020 at 9:51 PM, conVINCEd said:

Majority of the cabinet can invoke 25A at any time.  

Yep, and he will have to be dead before they act. He has been mentally unfit to be president for a long time. And that's why they love him. He lets them fulfill their own agendas no matter how bad they may be.  None of them will act even if he is unconscious for a week. In fact, I don't think there will be an instant transfer of power to Pence if Trump dies. Pence doesn't have first hand knowledge of Trump's health. He is kept separately so that he doesn't catch covid. All the in between people have their own agendas, and will squeeze a few more "Trump said to do..." out while they can. 

Reagan was probably in even worse mental shape than Trump toward the end of his Presidency. Still, I'd rather have that Reagan making decisions than a healthy Trump. 

12 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

What's interesting re: the House choosing the POTUS is that each state's delegation gets a single vote. According to the article The Dog posted, the GOP has a majority delegation in 26 states - but that would change after the election. The new Congress is sworn in Jan 3 and receives the Electoral College votes Jan 6. 

If we ended up trying that, it's a waste of time to even bother with waiting on the House delegations to vote. Just start shooting at Fort Sumter and get it started already instead. 

I also don't think it is quite so bad. I believe those rules are for when the election winner dies after the election. I think the parties have their own rules for candidate replacement before the election. 

Still our nation is unraveling because a tyrannical minority can gain power under the regular rules. So of course the emergency rules give the minority party even more power.  So Biden wins, dies of something, and we end up with Gaetz-My Pillow instead.