More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I really hope that I'm not friends with anyone who sees Pat McAfee on television and says, "I'd really like to hear more about what that man has to say."

You're aggy.  You're 100% the target audience for sleeveless shirt, pasty, barely muscular, too loud Pat McAfee.

• Haha 2

The only way I can watch sports on ESPN, or any other channel for that matter, is muted with a strip of paper across the bottom of the screen so my eyes aren't continually drawn to Div II volleyball score updates, every minute on the minute.

Oh, also DVR'd. I start about  an hour after kickoff. After fast forwarding through the endless BK and insurance commercials, incessant replays, and mindless drivel they call a halftime show, I'm usually finishing watching the game right about the time it actually ends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

ESPN could layoff everyone and just have AI announcers and it would be a better product. 

As long as the AI announcers have the Guy Fawkes masked avatars.  They could even have multiple different AI models, and have the worst (dumbest) ones use a clown mask as their avatars.  Then it would be nearly identical to now.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The only way I can watch sports on ESPN, or any other channel for that matter, is muted with a strip of paper across the bottom of the screen so my eyes aren't continually drawn to Div II volleyball score updates, every minute on the minute.

Oh, also DVR'd. I start about  an hour after kickoff. After fast forwarding through the endless BK and insurance commercials, incessant replays, and mindless drivel they call a halftime show, I'm usually finishing watching the game right about the time it actually ends.

Don't forget to turn your phone off because some asshole will eventually text you about some great/poor play.

Last week I tried watching the championship games that were on at the same time, live.  I would try flipping back and forth when one went to commercial.  Eventually the commercial breaks lined up.  What's worse is one time it wasn't just the breaks that lined up but the actual commercial did.  With maybe a 3 second time difference.  Yeah it was a pharma commercial so the chances are pretty high it was showing on probably half of the channels at the same time anyway but WTF?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That usually gets me to the 2H kickoff. 😑

• Haha 1

Here's the problem w/ McAfee: it's actually not that he's a clown.  There are plenty of clowns on TV; hell Corso at his best was a clown.  The problem is he tries to make it all about HIM, as if he's bigger than the game.  Spoiler alert Pat: you're not.  Everything from the wife beater shirts, to his sycophant posse sucking up to him on his show, to his own simulcast from the end zone at the Bama game is all "look at ME" shit.  And if people aren't looking at him enough, he yells louder, does something more outrageous.  I get it, I'm old, OK boomer, etc.  FTR I'm Gen X.  I guess there are plenty of people who like that shit now or he wouldn't be a thing.

I'm a College Gameday casual these days, I'll flip it on in the morning as I'm getting ready on a Saturday or prepping the BBQ.  The thing that really turned me off this year was when he shit on Wazzu for no reason, then after he got dragged for it on Twitter, he started whining about how HE was being disrespected and maybe he should not do Gameday anymore as a result.  Again, all about Pat.  It's like he expected this big uprising of support for people to stroke him and say "Oh no Pat, don't leave, we LOVE you, those mean old Wazzu fans are the bad ones don't listen to them!"  Instead he got...

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

TL;DR fuck Pat McAfee.  I'm sure in a few years the next iteration of him will show up wearing fewer clothes and trying to be more outrageous.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1