Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Well Correa lead off yesterday.  

Baker saying it is probably either going to be him or Straw as leadoff.  

I can live with Correa there

Straw is having a good spring at the plate, and if he can hit .280+ he'd be the ideal lead off man. With his speed, if he can get on consistently,  he'd put pressure on opposing pitchers. I'd prefer to keep CC lower, but as you say, I can live with it. 

yeah in 1985.  

No one cares about leadoff man getting on base anymore, they want the leadoff man to hit a homer.  They want every player to hit a homer.  No one cares about singles/steals etc.  

THE COMPUTER SAID SO111111!!!!1!!!!111!!!1!

If Straw can get on base 40% of the time, then I'd be delighted and wouldn't bitch about him leading off (even if I'd prefer someone else). 

The problem is that Straw is pretty unlikely to get on base 40% of the time. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if he has an OBP in the .340-.350 range. But even in that case he should bat 9th. That still gives him the opportunity to "set the table" for your best hitters, just not in the first inning. 

Like I said, I'm good with Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley in any order, as long as they are 1-6 every day. So sign me up for Correa being in that slot most days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

If Straw can get on base 40% of the time, then I'd be delighted and wouldn't bitch about him leading off (even if I'd prefer someone else). 

The problem is that Straw is pretty unlikely to get on base 40% of the time. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if he has an OBP in the .340-.350 range. But even in that case he should bat 9th. That still gives him the opportunity to "set the table" for your best hitters, just not in the first inning. 

Like I said, I'm good with Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley in any order, as long as they are 1-6 every day. So sign me up for Correa being in that slot most days. 

Springer's career OBP is .361, so I would hope the Astros would be trying to find a guy around that or better to lead off.

The ideal guy is Bregman, but he's hurt.

18 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That’s generous of you seeing that there is typically less than 10 MLB players per year with an OBP of .400 or better. 

BTW, Straw’s minor league OBP average is .394

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s generous of you seeing that there is typically less than 10 MLB players per year with an OBP of .400 or better. 

BTW, Straw’s minor league OBP average is .394

That's the point - it seems really unlikely, and given that he has no power at all, he almost has to have an OBP in the .400 area (if you want to say .375+, that's fine) to justify batting him ahead of Bregman, Correa, etc. 

Like I said, I'd be stoked if he's in the .340 neighborhood. If he plays good defense in CF, then that will make him a plus player. But I still wouldn't hit him first. 

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Straw is having a good spring at the plate, and if he can hit .280+ he'd be the ideal lead off man. With his speed, if he can get on consistently,  he'd put pressure on opposing pitchers. I'd prefer to keep CC lower, but as you say, I can live with it. 

.280 would be crazy.  this isn't the 90's anymore.  i would settle for .255 and an obp around .360.  not sure you can reasonably ask for more.

hit him leadoff and put your 6 big bats after.  yuli 8, machete 9.  do it for a month.

if it doesn't work, roll everyone up 1.  straw goes to 9th. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Carlos-Correa-No-talks-yet-on-contract-extension-16018555.php

Carlos Correa: No talks yet on contract extension

Spoiler

Carlos Correa said on Thursday his representation and the Astros have not yet engaged in talks about a contract extension, negotiations on which he’s placed an April 1 deadline.

Correa presumed that Framber Valdez’s fractured left ring finger and the Astros’ subsequent signing of Jake Odorizzi took precedence over any extension talks. Houston signed Odorizzi to a two-year contract earlier this week.

“That might have delayed it a little bit, but I said strongly what I said,” Correa said on Thursday. “If we’re going to get something done, we want it to get done before the season starts. Obviously the Astros have shown interest that they do want to do something, so I appreciate that from them. But if we’re going to get something done, it’s going to have to be before the season.”

Both Correa and Astros general manager James Click have expressed interest in a reunion. The 26-year-old franchise cornerstone said this winter he’d love to be an “Astro for life” and become a franchise player.

If the Astros do not extend him by the regular season, Correa will enter winter as the youngest free-agent shortstop in a loaded class.

Under Jim Crane’s ownership, the Astros have not built their roster by signing high-priced free agents. Houston allowed Gerrit Cole to depart for the New York Yankees in 2020. George Springer left for the Toronto Blue Jays in January.

Josh Reddick’s four-year, $52 million deal in 2017 remains the largest free-agent contract given since Crane bought the team. Correa’s deal will dwarf that.

In 2018 and 2019, the Astros finished a handful of contract extensions during spring training, locking in Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Ryan Pressly and Justin Verlander. Altuve’s five-year, $151 million deal in 2018 remains the richest contract in franchise history. Correa’s asking price could easily surpass it.

“Right now, man, like I told you, I’m just enjoying being back on the field with my teammates,” Correa said. “If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. At the end of the day, we’re going to go out there and win another championship.”

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

.280 would be crazy.  this isn't the 90's anymore.  i would settle for .255 and an obp around .360.  not sure you can reasonably ask for more.

hit him leadoff and put your 6 big bats after.  yuli 8, machete 9.  do it for a month.

if it doesn't work, roll everyone up 1.  straw goes to 9th. 

How bout we start with him 9th and he can move up if he shows he deserves it.

Looks like we sent the C team today but still, only 1 goddamn hit?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Carlos-Correa-No-talks-yet-on-contract-extension-16018555.php

Carlos Correa: No talks yet on contract extension

Reveal hidden contents

Carlos Correa said on Thursday his representation and the Astros have not yet engaged in talks about a contract extension, negotiations on which he’s placed an April 1 deadline.

Correa presumed that Framber Valdez’s fractured left ring finger and the Astros’ subsequent signing of Jake Odorizzi took precedence over any extension talks. Houston signed Odorizzi to a two-year contract earlier this week.

“That might have delayed it a little bit, but I said strongly what I said,” Correa said on Thursday. “If we’re going to get something done, we want it to get done before the season starts. Obviously the Astros have shown interest that they do want to do something, so I appreciate that from them. But if we’re going to get something done, it’s going to have to be before the season.”

Both Correa and Astros general manager James Click have expressed interest in a reunion. The 26-year-old franchise cornerstone said this winter he’d love to be an “Astro for life” and become a franchise player.

If the Astros do not extend him by the regular season, Correa will enter winter as the youngest free-agent shortstop in a loaded class.

Under Jim Crane’s ownership, the Astros have not built their roster by signing high-priced free agents. Houston allowed Gerrit Cole to depart for the New York Yankees in 2020. George Springer left for the Toronto Blue Jays in January.

Josh Reddick’s four-year, $52 million deal in 2017 remains the largest free-agent contract given since Crane bought the team. Correa’s deal will dwarf that.

In 2018 and 2019, the Astros finished a handful of contract extensions during spring training, locking in Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, Ryan Pressly and Justin Verlander. Altuve’s five-year, $151 million deal in 2018 remains the richest contract in franchise history. Correa’s asking price could easily surpass it.

“Right now, man, like I told you, I’m just enjoying being back on the field with my teammates,” Correa said. “If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. At the end of the day, we’re going to go out there and win another championship.”

this needs to change, asap 

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hey siri, who hit leadoff today for the team that got 1 god damned hit?

I know it’s spring training, it’s not supposed to matter, it’s only been 9 games and a couple of our bangers don’t have an AB yet, but this team is slashing .209/.317/.284 so far. Not great. 

Some great Greinke stories in an Athletic article, mostly from catchers he played with.

Athletic

Here are some highlights:

Spoiler

Brayan Peña, Royals: We were eating together and I was eating ice cream. He is very lean, great body, he’s in ultimate shape, he really takes care of himself, right? We were talking and he says, “You want to know one reason why you’re not an everyday big-league catcher?” I thought he was going to say something about my framework or blocking balls or game-calling or hitting. He goes, “Because you eat too much ice cream.” I was like, “Zack, seriously?” The room was full of players. Everybody started laughing. So I got up and hugged him. Every time that we went to a city after that, he made sure I had the best ice cream they were selling in that city.

Tim Federowicz, Dodgers: So we’re in a team meeting, and it was a real serious meeting getting ready for the playoffs. Like, “Let’s get ready, everyone get locked in, we’ve got about a week left.” And then at the end, Don (Mattingly) was like, “All right, anybody got anything?” Zack raised his hand, and we’re ready to listen to him. And he goes, “Yeah, after you guys are done using the bathroom, just make sure you wash your hands.”

Buck: One day I came home to where I had bought a house in Surprise (Arizona). There was a pretty cool little basketball park just down the road from the stadium. And my house was right by that one. So after he’d throw, and after he’d run, he’d be out there shooting hoops with 12-year-old kids in the neighborhood. Zack’s socks are pulled up. He’s got his bedhead going, and he’s out there in a tank top and shorts. Before short shorts were cool, Zack was wearing them. Out there with these 12-year-olds playing hoops.

Lucroy: For context, I’ve known Zack and Zack’s family for years and years. I played with his brother, Luke, in high school travel ball. He’s from about 30 minutes from where I grew up in central Florida. One of the first times I spoke to him in Milwaukee, he walks up to me in spring training. He looks at me and just says, “You know, if I wanted to be, I could probably be a better catcher than you,” and just walks away. I was like, “What? I can’t believe he just …”

Federowicz: I was struggling hitting at the time. I was like, “Man, I really don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m such an easy out.” And his response was like, “Yeah, you are. If I was facing you, I would just throw you all sliders and you’d have no chance.”

Lucroy: I think he loves hitting more than pitching. He does. He had a double during a game, and he texted me after the game a picture of the exit velo.

Tony Arnerich, Class-A Wilmington: In spring training, we were both staying at the hotel. I was facing him and I got to a 1-2 count and fouled off like three pitches. And then he just smokes me in the elbow with a fastball. That night, we were back at the hotel and we’re in the hot tub. My elbow is kind of barking and I’m like, “Greink, man, you know where you’re throwing the ball. What’s up, man? Did you hit me on purpose?” And he was like, “Well, I only had so many pitches, I didn’t want to waste them all on you. I wanted to face other hitters so I had to get you out of there.” I was like, “Oh my god.” His brutal honesty was so great.

Buck: I had been catching him for a while. This was right at the end. And it happened to be the year he was having his Cy Young year (2009). In the middle of that, he said, “John, I know I’m throwing good, but I’m starting to second-guess myself. I don’t want you to catch me anymore.” I was just kind of like, “What?” I was young, too. My ego was hurt. And then he goes, “I just think you’re too smart. You just make me out-think what I’m calling. You have too many good reasons, and sometimes I just want to throw it. And with Miguel Olivo, I just don’t get that.” We’re both sitting there, and Olivo is like, “OK, so I’m dumb?” And Zack goes, “Yeah, but I like throwing to you.” Olivo and I were like, “How do we both want to punch him, but we both get it and appreciate his honesty?”

Arnerich: He probably did this twice, and I’ve heard other people have had this experience with him. He was like, “Hey, Arnie, next inning I’m throwing one in the 50s.” I’m like, “What?” He goes, “I’m going to throw one under 60 miles per hour. Just call a curveball, and it’s going to be under 60 miles per hour.” In my head I’m like, “This kid is just playing games within the game.” So we go out the next inning and call a curveball and he just throws this eephus curveball that loops in there for a strike. I catch it and look up at him and he’s already turned around looking back at the miles per hour on the scoreboard. It was like 58. He turns around and gives just a little fist pump.

Gosewisch: Has anyone talked about Zack on a plane? So, Zack was extremely disciplined in his diet and how he took care of himself. But when we would get on the airplane, we would have these special cookies that they would always have for us. … Zack would have all of them in his seat, and I’d say by the end of the flight, he’d have about a dozen cookies just crushed while he was on the plane. It was so random. The plane was his space where he could just let it go and just see how many cookies he can possibly eat on the airplane.

Alex Avila, Diamondbacks: He was throwing one of his first bullpens in spring training, and we were getting to know each other. We’re sitting there, and the grounds crew is mowing the outfield. He’s staring at the guy mowing the lawn. Out of nowhere, he asks me, “What kind of grass do you think this is?” Then he asks me about the lawnmower and whether having grass or turf in your yard is better. The funny thing is, earlier that offseason, I had just turfed my backyard. So we talked for an hour about grass and artificial turf. A month or so into the season, I randomly get a text message from him in the afternoon before a game. He’s sitting on a riding lawnmower in his backyard, shirtless. He went with grass. It’s a picture that I’m gonna save for the rest of my life.

Ellis: It was during the middle of his warm-up session in the Dodger Stadium bullpen. At that point it was like 7:03 p.m. All of a sudden he stops throwing and starts walking toward me. So I pop up from behind the plate and meet him halfway. He looks at me and says, “I’ve been thinking.” It could be about anything. He says, “I’ve been thinking. You guys have this quarterback injury issue going on now. I’ve got a ton of quarterbacks on my roster, and I noticed you’ve got a bunch of wide receivers on yours. I think we match up really well so I think you guys should make a trade. We’ll talk about it a little bit later.” Then he totally 180’d and walked back to the mound.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Some great Greinke stories in an Athletic article, mostly from catchers he played with.

Athletic

Here are some highlights:

Reveal hidden contents

Brayan Peña, Royals: We were eating together and I was eating ice cream. He is very lean, great body, he’s in ultimate shape, he really takes care of himself, right? We were talking and he says, “You want to know one reason why you’re not an everyday big-league catcher?” I thought he was going to say something about my framework or blocking balls or game-calling or hitting. He goes, “Because you eat too much ice cream.” I was like, “Zack, seriously?” The room was full of players. Everybody started laughing. So I got up and hugged him. Every time that we went to a city after that, he made sure I had the best ice cream they were selling in that city.

Tim Federowicz, Dodgers: So we’re in a team meeting, and it was a real serious meeting getting ready for the playoffs. Like, “Let’s get ready, everyone get locked in, we’ve got about a week left.” And then at the end, Don (Mattingly) was like, “All right, anybody got anything?” Zack raised his hand, and we’re ready to listen to him. And he goes, “Yeah, after you guys are done using the bathroom, just make sure you wash your hands.”

Buck: One day I came home to where I had bought a house in Surprise (Arizona). There was a pretty cool little basketball park just down the road from the stadium. And my house was right by that one. So after he’d throw, and after he’d run, he’d be out there shooting hoops with 12-year-old kids in the neighborhood. Zack’s socks are pulled up. He’s got his bedhead going, and he’s out there in a tank top and shorts. Before short shorts were cool, Zack was wearing them. Out there with these 12-year-olds playing hoops.

Lucroy: For context, I’ve known Zack and Zack’s family for years and years. I played with his brother, Luke, in high school travel ball. He’s from about 30 minutes from where I grew up in central Florida. One of the first times I spoke to him in Milwaukee, he walks up to me in spring training. He looks at me and just says, “You know, if I wanted to be, I could probably be a better catcher than you,” and just walks away. I was like, “What? I can’t believe he just …”

Federowicz: I was struggling hitting at the time. I was like, “Man, I really don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m such an easy out.” And his response was like, “Yeah, you are. If I was facing you, I would just throw you all sliders and you’d have no chance.”

Lucroy: I think he loves hitting more than pitching. He does. He had a double during a game, and he texted me after the game a picture of the exit velo.

Tony Arnerich, Class-A Wilmington: In spring training, we were both staying at the hotel. I was facing him and I got to a 1-2 count and fouled off like three pitches. And then he just smokes me in the elbow with a fastball. That night, we were back at the hotel and we’re in the hot tub. My elbow is kind of barking and I’m like, “Greink, man, you know where you’re throwing the ball. What’s up, man? Did you hit me on purpose?” And he was like, “Well, I only had so many pitches, I didn’t want to waste them all on you. I wanted to face other hitters so I had to get you out of there.” I was like, “Oh my god.” His brutal honesty was so great.

Buck: I had been catching him for a while. This was right at the end. And it happened to be the year he was having his Cy Young year (2009). In the middle of that, he said, “John, I know I’m throwing good, but I’m starting to second-guess myself. I don’t want you to catch me anymore.” I was just kind of like, “What?” I was young, too. My ego was hurt. And then he goes, “I just think you’re too smart. You just make me out-think what I’m calling. You have too many good reasons, and sometimes I just want to throw it. And with Miguel Olivo, I just don’t get that.” We’re both sitting there, and Olivo is like, “OK, so I’m dumb?” And Zack goes, “Yeah, but I like throwing to you.” Olivo and I were like, “How do we both want to punch him, but we both get it and appreciate his honesty?”

Arnerich: He probably did this twice, and I’ve heard other people have had this experience with him. He was like, “Hey, Arnie, next inning I’m throwing one in the 50s.” I’m like, “What?” He goes, “I’m going to throw one under 60 miles per hour. Just call a curveball, and it’s going to be under 60 miles per hour.” In my head I’m like, “This kid is just playing games within the game.” So we go out the next inning and call a curveball and he just throws this eephus curveball that loops in there for a strike. I catch it and look up at him and he’s already turned around looking back at the miles per hour on the scoreboard. It was like 58. He turns around and gives just a little fist pump.

Gosewisch: Has anyone talked about Zack on a plane? So, Zack was extremely disciplined in his diet and how he took care of himself. But when we would get on the airplane, we would have these special cookies that they would always have for us. … Zack would have all of them in his seat, and I’d say by the end of the flight, he’d have about a dozen cookies just crushed while he was on the plane. It was so random. The plane was his space where he could just let it go and just see how many cookies he can possibly eat on the airplane.

Alex Avila, Diamondbacks: He was throwing one of his first bullpens in spring training, and we were getting to know each other. We’re sitting there, and the grounds crew is mowing the outfield. He’s staring at the guy mowing the lawn. Out of nowhere, he asks me, “What kind of grass do you think this is?” Then he asks me about the lawnmower and whether having grass or turf in your yard is better. The funny thing is, earlier that offseason, I had just turfed my backyard. So we talked for an hour about grass and artificial turf. A month or so into the season, I randomly get a text message from him in the afternoon before a game. He’s sitting on a riding lawnmower in his backyard, shirtless. He went with grass. It’s a picture that I’m gonna save for the rest of my life.

Ellis: It was during the middle of his warm-up session in the Dodger Stadium bullpen. At that point it was like 7:03 p.m. All of a sudden he stops throwing and starts walking toward me. So I pop up from behind the plate and meet him halfway. He looks at me and says, “I’ve been thinking.” It could be about anything. He says, “I’ve been thinking. You guys have this quarterback injury issue going on now. I’ve got a ton of quarterbacks on my roster, and I noticed you’ve got a bunch of wide receivers on yours. I think we match up really well so I think you guys should make a trade. We’ll talk about it a little bit later.” Then he totally 180’d and walked back to the mound.

those are fucking great

Kalas in midseason form....talks about Strasburg for 2 minutes during Altuve ab, then they put up the defensive alignment for Nats and its wrong and says Scherzer on the mound....he reads off all of them and says "and Gomes behind the plate for Scherzer"

Alzheimers

[quote]

Lance McCullers whiffed six batters over four scoreless innings on Sunday in a Grapefruit League start against the Nationals.

McCullers gave up a pair of hits, but got Kyle Schwarber to ground into an inning-ending double-play to end the opening frame. He proceeded to retire nine of the final 10 batters he faced in this one. There’s no Hawkeye tracking system to officially confirm, but he also appeared to unveil a brand-new slider in this one as well. He's allowed only two runs on five hits with 11 strikeouts and a pair of walks over seven innings (three starts) this spring. The 27-year-old carries plenty of injury risk, but also possesses elite strikeout upside, which has made him a popular breakout candidate in fantasy drafts this spring.[/quote]

Is it me or are there fewer 9:10 pm west coast start times than in years past?  Granted, the 8:40 pm starts may not be much mitigation, but there are plenty of 8:10 pm games out there.  Angels seem to be the best about that, Seattle the worst.  But very few series with more than one 9 pm start.

7 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Is it me or are there fewer 9:10 pm west coast start times than in years past?  Granted, the 8:40 pm starts may not be much mitigation, but there are plenty of 8:10 pm games out there.  Angels seem to be the best about that, Seattle the worst.  But very few series with more than one 9 pm start.

Yeah, good callout

seems like it’s mostly an Anaheim thing though. And a little bit of Oakland

maybe they realize their state isn’t going to allow fans so no need for as late of a start (no cr).

elther way, I’ll take the half hour earlier start. Although I think I’d rather take the later start if it meant consistent start times. I hated that last year having a different start time every day.