COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Everyone should be going to get their booster if they're Pfizer and > ~ 6 months since their last shot, imo. Has anyone tried? The list of conditions is quite extensive and I'm pretty sure you could march into any CVS or Walgreens or Kroger or Wal Mart and be like I have hypertension and they wouldn't bat an eye. Has anyone tried? There is no supply shortage in the US, and you aren't saving a vaccine for someone in Africa by holding off. Really kicking myself for not pushing this with my wife and in laws a few weeks ago. 

13 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Everyone should be going to get their booster if they're Pfizer and > ~ 6 months since their last shot, imo. Has anyone tried? The list of conditions is quite extensive and I'm pretty sure you could march into any CVS or Walgreens or Kroger or Wal Mart and be like I have hypertension and they wouldn't bat an eye. Has anyone tried? There is no supply shortage in the US, and you aren't saving a vaccine for someone in Africa by holding off. Really kicking myself for not pushing this with my wife and in laws a few weeks ago. 

I'm almost 7 months out and got a booster Tues at a Walgreens.  There was a form to sign where you indicated if 18-49 you either had an underlying condition or had an occupation with a high risk of contracting COVID.  Super generic.  Checked yes and that was that.   Reaction is similar to Pfizer #2 with maybe a slightly later onset.  Felt tired/lethargic yesterday.  Still worked fine and worked out although much lighter cardio than normal.  Still feel a bit off today except slightly better.  Plan to do a normal workout in about an hour.   I have an oura ring that tracks sleep, RHR, body temp etc. and found it interesting that vax didn't move the needle on those at all (compared to 3+ drinks which makes a huge impact)

• Like 1

I've noticed the Ivermectin/horse paste clamoring has died down a bit?  But also, our little peak from a few weeks ago on vaccines has flamed out as well?  

What's the new fad then?  

Gonna get a booster early next week.  Moderna 2nd shot on 4/30, but TX/OU is next weekend and taking a long weekend vacation 2 weeks after that.
I didn't think Moderna boosters were authorized or even needed. They are talking about a half booster dose. This seems like a premature action
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Correct. Certainly not authorized yet. Not clear whether needed and if so when and what dosage.

My antibodies have dropped over the course of 2 months.  I’ve got some other shit going on as well.  I’m not doing this willy nilly, It’s an educated guess in consultation with a doctor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

My antibodies have dropped over the course of 2 months.  I’ve got some other shit going on as well.  I’m not doing this willy nilly, It’s an educated guess in consultation with a doctor.

Not Dr. Beeper?

• Haha 1

No judgment. Was just responding to the question that was posed based on what the CDC has authorized and the status of Moderna boosters.

They’re coming. It’s just not clear what the details will be.

Be safe.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

No judgment. Was just responding to the question that was posed based on what the CDC has authorized and the status of Moderna boosters.

They’re coming. It’s just not clear what the details will be.

Be safe.

The conversation consisted of me telling the doc my plans.  The trip has to happen because it’s prep for a move which has already been delayed due to covid.   The game is optional, but I want to go.  He said under my circumstances he would get another shot this week despite the fact that it’s not authorized yet.  Not clear cut, but he doesn’t see a lot of downside.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The conversation consisted of me telling the doc my plans.  The trip has to happen because it’s prep for a move which has already been delayed due to covid.   The game is optional, but I want to go.  He said under my circumstances he would get another shot this week despite the fact that it’s not authorized yet.  Not clear cut, but he doesn’t see a lot of downside.

Love that you did this. I almost posted please talk to your Dr first but I stopped because I didn't know that you hadn't, and common sense and some things I've read from experts dictate it's probably a good approach, and how did I know that you weren't on top of that, as well. Anyway, nice job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Love that you did this. I almost posted please talk to your Dr first but I stopped because I didn't know that you hadn't, and common sense and some things I've read from experts dictate it's probably a good approach, and how did I know that you weren't on top of that, as well. Anyway, nice job. 

I’ve seen more docs in the last 2 months than I’ve seen in the last 20 years.  It’s a one-off deal.  If everything was perfect I would wait for the official guidance.  I’ve also had a bunch of blood work done ao I have been able to track my antibodies pretty well.

• Like 2

I got the third Moderna last week, it's not about authorization it's about what you started with.  Same story I was a little earlier in the game, second shot 2/10 due to some mild hypertension that moved me up I guess.  It was getting close to 8 months I have two high school freshman and a freshman at UT (all vaccinated) so talked to my doctor about what to do, when I am around them, UT games, etc etc etc.  He said he wouldn't advise against it, did I need it for sure....no, but nobody really knows anything for sure so if I felt comfortable with it while he wasn't saying I SHOULD get it he was also saying there was not any demonstrable downside and to do what I was comfortable with.

Now that said @conVINCEd it's just my experience but something to be mindful of.  With 1 and 2 I had the exact same experience.  Shots in the noon-1 hour, fine that day woke up the next day feeling tired, heavy eyes etc.  Nothing bad but then about 24 hours after shot I experienced about 8 hours of being "cold" not racked with bad chills but just cold.  Went to bed early and woke up next morning both times like nothing happened except for a few days of a SLIGHTLY sore arm.  This third one, got it around 3:30.  Wake up the next morning just fine.  Go all day still fine....nothing.  Then right as I was about to go to bed about 11:30 it hit.  Racked with chills (much worse this time) and generally felt like truck hit me.  OK fine, went to bed wake up the next morning (drenched in sweat) and the chills were gone, and stayed gone but I still felt fatigued and just generally not my best.  Pretty much felt that way for 3 more days.  It wasn't anything terrible mind you, I was still functioning BUT you mentioned doing it week of TX/OU etc so I would say earlier than later....just to be sure.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I got the third Moderna last week, it's not about authorization it's about what you started with.  Same story I was a little earlier in the game, second shot 2/10 due to some mild hypertension that moved me up I guess.  It was getting close to 8 months I have two high school freshman and a freshman at UT (all vaccinated) so talked to my doctor about what to do, when I am around them, UT games, etc etc etc.  He said he wouldn't advise against it, did I need it for sure....no, but nobody really knows anything for sure so if I felt comfortable with it while he wasn't saying I SHOULD get it he was also saying there was not any demonstrable downside and to do what I was comfortable with.

Now that said @conVINCEd it's just my experience but something to be mindful of.  With 1 and 2 I had the exact same experience.  Shots in the noon-1 hour, fine that day woke up the next day feeling tired, heavy eyes etc.  Nothing bad but then about 24 hours after shot I experienced about 8 hours of being "cold" not racked with bad chills but just cold.  Went to bed early and woke up next morning both times like nothing happened except for a few days of a SLIGHTLY sore arm.  This third one, got it around 3:30.  Wake up the next morning just fine.  Go all day still fine....nothing.  Then right as I was about to go to bed about 11:30 it hit.  Racked with chills (much worse this time) and generally felt like truck hit me.  OK fine, went to bed wake up the next morning (drenched in sweat) and the chills were gone, and stayed gone but I still felt fatigued and just generally not my best.  Pretty much felt that way for 3 more days.  It wasn't anything terrible mind you, I was still functioning BUT you mentioned doing it week of TX/OU etc so I would say earlier than later....just to be sure.  

It’s on Tuesday.  I had almost no reaction to the first two aside from the sore arm.  I have also had a very mild case of COVID.  The other medical shit going on in my life, which has been taken care of but is not completely resolved, is what is driving this decision.  I’m not gonna post my lab results and MRIs on a message board.

It’s on Tuesday.  I had almost no reaction to the first two aside from the sore arm.  I have also had a very mild case of COVID.  The other medical shit going on in my life, which has been taken care of but is not completely resolved, is what is driving this decision.  I’m not gonna post my lab results and MRIs on a message board.

Look, man, ain’t nobody gonna judge you over a case of herpes simplex 37.

Was it the actual needle that might some people take the "I don't trust the vaccine yet" bullshit?  I figured if you're against it, you're against it in all forms.  But Merck wouldn't have gone down that CapEx/research/clinical trials rabbit hole if they didn't think it'd be worth it.  So it turns out several million Americans aren't really principled freedom-lovers, they were just pussies who couldn't stand needles?

Kinda reminds me of this past Winter.  My cousin and sister had my mom believing all kinds of anti-vaxx bullshit.  I pleaded with her to get it as soon as possible because of her roster of comorbidities.  Her compromise was that she'd do the Johnson & Johnson one because it was a single shot.  Told me, with a straight face, that she didn't want to have to go Walgreen's twice, to get two Pfizer shots.  I laughed over the phone and she got pissy, "What's so damn funny about that?"  
"Mom, you've gone into that Walgreen's down the street twice a week for cigarettes since the late 90's.  But two trips to likely save your life is a bridge too far?"  

She ended up getting both Pfizers. Now I need to make sure she gets her booster here in a month or so.  I'm sure my Qanon Cousin will tell her the booster recharges the 5G chip or some shit like that and we'll right back to square one. 

14 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Even with Pfizer this definitely hits later.  I was tired after my 2nd about 10 hours, went to bed early, felt off/shitty next day then woke up day 2 fine.  I didn't really feel anything other than arm on this one for probably over 24 hours.  Never felt as bad as you but started feeling tired and off the next afternoon and all yesterday.  Ended up relatively light workouts both days as I did about 25 mins of a normal Peloton ride then felt drained and somewhat coasted last 20.   I actually felt my worst last night before bed 2.5 days after shot and woke up this AM drenched in sweat.  But feel better today now 3 days post-shot.  Probably 95%.

I would be surprised if a full approval came before summer 2022 at earliest.  FDA is still working with proxy outcome data (immune response) for the EUAs. I don't think that they give full approval until they have some clinical outcomes, but who fucking knows to be honest. 

I would imagine there's a metric fuckton of settled caselaw brought against school districts, municipalities, and state governments over the years regarding mandatory vaccinations for Rubella, MMR, Measles, Mumps, HepB, Rotavirus, DTaP, and Polio.  So before we go clogging up the courts with this shit for the next few years, can somebody just come out and tell these people they aren't going to win?  At this point, there are only degrees of losing.  

The number of shots required for my two young children here in "Personal Freedom, Limited Government" Texas is literally a dozen shots long.  Thank god my wife's keep track of that shit, because I lost count a long time ago, especially with regard to the spacing out of most of them.  

Of course, our current logic in this state is, "No Covid vaccine mandates.  Shit, while we're at it, no mandates for polio or measles vaccines neither!  It's not like those diseases are a problem anymore.  No sense in a school mandated shot for something that's been gone for decades!"  I promise you that mentality is coming, and it's going to come from the people in charge.  

On 9/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, Sbbruin said:

Looks like Moderna is better than Pfizer at producing antibodies and preventing breakthrough infections. Sorry Pfizer suckers. Us Modernites will rule the earth.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/moderna-vs-pfizer-is-one-vaccine-stronger-against-delta-variant/2603249/?amp

I'm a Moderna breakthrough and had high counts just a month before I got it. Kid barely had a sniffle, but gave it to me and put me on my but for 3-4 days. 

Figure now I have both natural and vaccine antibodies though. That's got to be what, maybe 15% of the population? I promise to rule the rest of your rubes fairly.

Firm. But fair.

Looking like October 26th might be a key day for kid approval.

The FDA anticipates receiving a request from Pfizer to amend its emergency use authorization to allow the use of its COVID-19 vaccine in children 5 through 11 years of age. In anticipation of the request, the FDA is moving forward with scheduling an advisory committee meeting on Oct. 26 to inform the agency’s decision-making.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-hold-advisory-committee-meetings-discuss-emergency-use-authorization-booster-doses-and-covid-19

I would imagine there's a metric fuckton of settled caselaw brought against school districts, municipalities, and state governments over the years regarding mandatory vaccinations for Rubella, MMR, Measles, Mumps, HepB, Rotavirus, DTaP, and Polio.  So before we go clogging up the courts with this shit for the next few years, can somebody just come out and tell these people they aren't going to win?  At this point, there are only degrees of losing.  
The number of shots required for my two young children here in "Personal Freedom, Limited Government" Texas is literally a dozen shots long.  Thank god my wife's keep track of that shit, because I lost count a long time ago, especially with regard to the spacing out of most of them.  
Of course, our current logic in this state is, "No Covid vaccine mandates.  Shit, while we're at it, no mandates for polio or measles vaccines neither!  It's not like those diseases are a problem anymore.  No sense in a school mandated shot for something that's been gone for decades!"  I promise you that mentality is coming, and it's going to come from the people in charge.  

I don’t have kids, but aren’t the Texas polio, etc. mandates basically suggestions with a bunch of easy “outs”?