Markets still falling like whoa

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, Indexes are being weighted down so heavily by the FAANG stocks that they are not reflective of the "total stock market". Not sure how you deal with it, but you'd be better off buying the FAANG stocks and roll with it vs. a DOW Index

I can't afford the FAANG, in a reasonable fashion - so I've started to dip my toes into buying index LEAP calls that are much more affordable than buying them for individual stocks. And the hope is that if the FAMTANG group keeps going up then the index does as well (added Tesla because I like saying FAMTANG)

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Places like Fidelity are selling "partial" shares.  

Yeah - but are they selling "partial" options?
I own enough shares as part of my core index funds, but I'm not going to trade around that position with FAMTANG related stocks or options

Spoiler

Here are a couple of price points that show you can't play around the FAANG'ish stocks; as I could buy 20x the amount of SPY for about the same price and if you are right about the moves I thing you should profit more from the volume of index options vs. the options you could buy on individual stocks.
Again this is not a core investment or trading position, but just a way to try to play/time the market (either riding the wave or guessing when the crest is and capturing value on the downside)

SPY 1/15/21 +/- 10%  options priced are puts for $10.50 and calls are $4.20

AMZN 1/15/21 +/- 10% options priced at puts for $200 and calls are $225
TSLA 1/15/21 +/- 10% options are priced at puts for $265 and calls are $285

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

FSPTX - Fid Select Technology has .71 expense ratio and had this top 10 as of June30th:

Apple 21.2%
Microsoft 19.5%
Adobe 3.9
Salesforce 3.4
Facebook 3.1

(Below all above 2%)
NVIDIA
MasterCard
Visa
PayPal
Amazon

Yeah, I was in that pretty strong the last 4 months and made some nice returns. Got out & diversified a bit.

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

FSPTX - Fid Select Technology has .71 expense ratio and had this top 10 as of June30th:

Apple 21.2%
Microsoft 19.5%
Adobe 3.9
Salesforce 3.4
Facebook 3.1

(Below all above 2%)
NVIDIA
MasterCard
Visa
PayPal
Amazon

IYW is an alternative (.42 expense and there are options if you want to +/- risk )
I've bought some for my account, and put my Dad onto it (although he'd rather have dividends and interest {rolled-eyes}

22.45 % - AAPL
17.89 % - MSFT
4.45 % - FB
7.5 % - GOOG & GOOGL
3.89 % -NVidia

others
ADBE, INTC, CRM, CSCO,
Top 10 are >66% of the portfolio

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

IYW is an alternative (.42 expense and there are options if you want to +/- risk )
I've bought some for my account, and put my Dad onto it (although he'd rather have dividends and interest {rolled-eyes}

22.45 % - AAPL
17.89 % - MSFT
4.45 % - FB
7.5 % - GOOG & GOOGL
3.89 % -NVidia

others
ADBE, INTC, CRM, CSCO,
Top 10 are >66% of the portfolio

its trading at 9% above net asset value.  wtf

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

We should start an ETF composed solely of FAANG+Microsoft, and charge 0.75% management fee

Is there an easily trade-able ETF for international blue chips... the likes of Alibaba, ARM, Samsung, etc.  

I know there are  ETFs for international indices but it would be cool to have one fully composed of blue chip international stocks.  

Edited by Hmmm

there is still money on the sidelines but it has to be just waiting for a correction/crash, so most money going into the market is headed to AAMGF

I’m the guy sitting on cash after moving a bunch of things around. My guy at Morgan wants to begin staggered entry in big cuts at the next 10% correction, but I’m weighing sitting the whole thing out until next year. It feels like we’re headed for a shitstorm and I like the feel of my umbrella...

Realize I’m missing out on a good amount of profits, but I want to be in a good position when/if this blows up. Am I crazy?

If you've waited this long, might as well wait until the election is over.  I am very new to this so take that with a grain of salt.  

I've wanted to ask opinions about election results and market for some time now, but fear it would get too political.  

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 2

Market back at highs so buying into anything but individual stocks that you feel are good prices might be dicey.

I’ll probably wait with some money on the side and buy a few of the companies that are going public over the next few months. Snowflake, potential Unity come to mind.

$ZI and $BIGC are two others that I bought recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hmmm said:

If you've waited this long, might as well wait until the election is over.  I am very new to this so take that with a grain of salt.  

I've wanted to ask opinions about election results and market for some time now, but fear it would get too political.  

my only thought is a big sell off comes in early Oct and wait it out. but its just a guess.

13 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I’m the guy sitting on cash after moving a bunch of things around. My guy at Morgan wants to begin staggered entry in big cuts at the next 10% correction, but I’m weighing sitting the whole thing out until next year. It feels like we’re headed for a shitstorm and I like the feel of my umbrella...

Realize I’m missing out on a good amount of profits, but I want to be in a good position when/if this blows up. Am I crazy?

I moved 25% of our entire holdings to cash when the S&P was at about 2950. Thought I was real smart. I decided just this week to start moving back in.....sloooowly. I'm just gonna set it and forget it, a small chunk each month until I'm back to my original mix. Might take a year or more. If it dips any time soon, I'll have plenty of dry powder to move in more aggressively. But honestly, there's not going to be a correction. The Fed has discovered that inflation isn't a thing anymore, although they have no idea why. We're looking at years or even decades of near-zero interest rates and money printing. Infinite money chasing assets + TINA = stock market on a permanent rocket ship.

Of course, I am literally ALWAYS wrong about this stuff, so now is the time to liquidate everything.

Salesforce had a big earnings beat, so it opened 17% to $250 or something... usually after the post-earnings pop they start deflate right away

So I sold $280 calls.... and then Salesforce promptly climbed above 25% and almost put my short position in the money.   fucker.

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This is awesome and shows how there where clear winners and losers in this downturn/upturn. If you had a tech heavy portfolio, you won.

Yup. Nothing but up since March.

Just bought some more AAPL today. Also got in MSFT. 

I spared you guys be staying out of NFLX. Enjoy your 10% rise today, because it'll all come crashing down if I ever decide to go back in.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

i have been this person for the past 1.5 yrs. FUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEEEEEE

If Laura is half the hurricane they predict the insurance and re-insurance companies are going to take a huge hit.  If one of these storms ever hits Miami directly insurance would probably go bust.  I don't know how the Miami area has dodged the storms over the last few decades.

This thing looks like a hurrinado

Edited by BevoSwag

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Salesforce had a big earnings beat, so it opened 17% to $250 or something... usually after the post-earnings pop they start deflate right away

So I sold $280 calls.... and then Salesforce promptly climbed above 25% and almost put my short position in the money.   fucker.

Nothing wrong with making profits.  You can always just cover and take the small loss vs position.  I’m doing the exact same thing, but on AAPL and FB. Hope they just don’t pop 5% in next 7 biz days. 

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

JPowell forgot to send me copies of his trade slips.  Can you forward them to me?

kthnxbai.

55 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Posted the Fed's favorites already.

SPY, I'm pretty sure the Fed has reported buying that ETF as part of the market support/manipulation program

On 8/25/2020 at 6:44 PM, Hmmm said:

Well, the market did just as well under Obama as it has done under Trump.  Biden is Obama-lite.  Warren seemed to frighten the corporate types, and possibly for good reason.

As far as I can tell, other than lowering corporate taxes, Trump hasn't really done anything for business except create a culture where maybe anything goes.  His fairly constant shenanigans have created tons of uncertainty.

But, the market likes to do things for pretty irrational reasons, so  . . . . 

Stock Market Alert - Stock Market Alert!!!!

Figured I should give everyone a heads up that I've gone all in on playing the momentum ride of the market - I'm out of my puts, and have started to play with calls to goose the returns. 
There is no more a certain indicator that the market has peaked then me deciding to speculate into the market rising. Full disclosure, I started to buy some calls in early June, because I was so pissed that my puts were turning into dogs. 
Long-term I still believe there is a correction coming, but I can't guess when or what will be the trigger - so until it is on the horizon I'm gonna ride the wave, and then hopefully switch back when the tides change, but I'll likely get sucked into the maelstrom once that wave crashes.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Figured I should give everyone a heads up that I've gone all in on playing the momentum ride of the market - I'm out of my puts, and have started to play with calls to goose the returns. 
There is no more a certain indicator that the market has peaked then me deciding to speculate into the market rising. Full disclosure, I started to buy some calls in early June, because I was so pissed that my puts were turning into dogs. 
Long-term I still believe there is a correction coming, but I can't guess when or what will be the trigger - so until it is on the horizon I'm gonna ride the wave, and then hopefully switch back when the tides change, but I'll likely get sucked into the maelstrom once that wave crashes.

never bet against the greatest country on the face of the earth

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Naked Gun Panic GIF

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

never bet against the greatest country on the face of the earth

17 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Never bet against The System.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed, AKA, the greatest country on earth

you do realize we are talking about investments in companies, not countries - right
because there are winners and losers, and within those groups there are big winners and little winners and big losers and little losers

(btw - history tells me that being the greatest at anything is not a permanent thing - a number of countries have been considered the greatest, but then something happens and they aren't)