Always Sunny confirmed for at least four more seasons

shadow_operative

I must admit I'm really, really late to the party on Sunny. Tried it 10 years or more ago and I thought it was trying too hard. I've been watching the reruns on FX for the past couple of years and holy shit is hysterical. Better late than never. I've always loved Danny DeVito and Frank Reynolds is an all-time great sitcom character.

EDIT: Can't believe it's been on TV since Vince was still in Austin.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

I didn't enjoy the last season much, and it's probably my favorite comedy show of all time.

I'm hoping they kind of ride off into the sunset at some point, but if they're having fun with it, fuck it, they might as well keep going.

Seasons 2-5 are the absolute peak of TV comedy, IMO, and there have been a ton of A list episodes since (and the first season was solid too, just doesn't have Frank).  Really, up until the point where Howerton was in and out of the regular line up, you could count on at least 50% of the episodes in a season to be top shelf.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I didn't enjoy the last season much, and it's probably my favorite comedy show of all time.

I'm hoping they kind of ride off into the sunset at some point, but if they're having fun with it, fuck it, they might as well keep going.

Seasons 2-5 are the absolute peak of TV comedy, IMO, and there have been a ton of A list episodes since (and the first season was solid too, just doesn't have Frank).  Really, up until the point where Howerton was in and out of the regular line up, you could count on at least 50% of the episodes in a season to be top shelf.

Agree. It just doesn't work without Howerton. 

Basically, I think the cast enjoy being around each other and like getting paid for it. It's the family business. 

Also, I think the cast understands they've peaked. Charlie Day probably won't get another lead role in a motion picture. Howerton probably won't get another lead in a television series. Kaitlin Olson won't get another shot like The Mick. Danny DeVito has been much more successful as a producer than as an actor. IRob McElhenney has distinguished himself as a writer, but he hasn't really acted outside of It's Always Sunny. 

Howerton has said in numerous interviews that he wants to take on more serious roles. I think he would do really well in this space, but I'm not sure he'll get a shot. He's 44 now, and A.P. Bio unfortunately hasn't been a huge hit that springboard him into other things. 

Someone said upthread that It's Always Sunny is better than a vast majority of the shows currently on air. I agree. You could say the same thing about The Mick and A.P. Bio. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 12/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Basically, I think the cast enjoy being around each other and like getting paid for it. It's the family business. 

Also, I think the cast understands they've peaked. Charlie Day probably won't get another lead role in a motion picture. Howerton probably won't get another lead in a television series. Kaitlin Olson won't get another shot like The Mick. Danny DeVito has been much more successful as a producer than as an actor. IRob McElhenney has distinguished himself as a writer, but he hasn't really acted outside of It's Always Sunny. 

Howerton has said in numerous interviews that he wants to take on more serious roles. I think he would do really well in this space, but I'm not sure he'll get a shot. He's 44 now, and A.P. Bio unfortunately hasn't been a huge hit that springboard him into other things. 

Someone said upthread that It's Always Sunny is better than a vast majority of the shows currently on air. I agree. You could say the same thing about The Mick and A.P. Bio. 

You're right that they've all probably peaked with this show given how long its run and its popularity, but some of their careers have been nothing to sneeze at in an industry as tough to break into as acting.  Lots of reoccurring characters in other sitcoms and side characters in movies with a few leads thrown in.  I remember recognizing Kaitlin in the first episode I watched of "Sunny" from "The Riches," which she had a pretty decent part in.  I remember thinking between her and beloved character actress Margo Martindale, FX seemed to love recycling their actors.

But yeah, they might as well keep this going as long as FX lets them if they all love it as much as they seem to.

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

You're right that they've all probably peaked with this show given how long its run and its popularity, but some of their careers have been nothing to sneeze at in an industry as tough to break into as acting.  Lots of reoccurring characters in other sitcoms and side characters in movies with a few leads thrown in.  I remember recognizing Kaitlin in the first episode I watched of "Sunny" from "The Riches," which she had a pretty decent part in.  I remember thinking between her and beloved character actress Margo Martindale, FX seemed to love recycling their actors.

But yeah, they might as well keep this going as long as FX lets them if they all love it as much as they seem to.

McElhenney said in an interview that the best advice he’s ever received was from Larry David. Basically, don’t ever have a series finale, just keep it going as long as you want. Don’t end it, just go back to it whenever you feel like it. He’s clearly taken this to heart. 

I feel like the cast is where they should be, except for Howerton. I think he’s a talented guy that should have got one big break in a motion picture. Maybe it’s one him. Take some indie roles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I need to go back and watch the most recent season... did that end with Mac's dance, or with them in the lazer tag arena?

It still hits hard when it hits hard. I think the past season or two have been a bit low without the whole gang really on board. I hope Howerton is back completely. I'm confident they have more gold to mine.

I am curious where they might take things as they get deep into middle age. Season 5 was the peak, probably the actual zenith was the gang gives Frank an intervention. They were around... early mid 30s in that season? That's really probably the comedic sweet spot for "horrible codependent losers navigate life and fight the world".

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I need to go back and watch the most recent season... did that end with Mac's dance, or with them in the lazer tag arena?

It still hits hard when it hits hard. I think the past season or two have been a bit low without the whole gang really on board. I hope Howerton is back completely. I'm confident they have more gold to mine.

I am curious where they might take things as they get deep into middle age. Season 5 was the peak, probably the actual zenith was the gang gives Frank an intervention. They were around... early mid 30s in that season? That's really probably the comedic sweet spot for "horrible codependent losers navigate life and fight the world".

tenor.gif?itemid=14408958

• Hook 'Em 1