Formula 1 2021

wood

15 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

More Sepangs, less Jeddahs. 

*Fewer.  ;)

He did COTA (with a massive amount of help from Hellmund. Really, Tilke's people did the engineering at COTA). I'm not a huge fan of some of Tilke's work, but I do think he gets a bit of a bad rap. He rarely, if ever, has a blank canvas to just throw down a track layout. He has a tract of land, often oddly shaped and fraught with problems. He has to work around things like hotels, buildings etc that either already exist or are part of the plan, and he has to build the track the promoter wants him to build, as in Austin. But his name is on it, so he takes the heat for the outcome. He probably doesn't mind that much though, I guess, given how much money he makes off of it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They are mandated for all, and the wheels AND covers are all a spec design. Same for everyone.

That's what I thought. I wonder why they weren't on the front at the time of that photo. Probably no big deal.

6 minutes ago, wood said:

*Fewer.  ;)

He did COTA (with a massive amount of help from Hellmund. Really, Tilke's people did the engineering at COTA). I'm not a huge fan of some of Tilke's work, but I do think he gets a bit of a bad rap. He rarely, if ever, has a blank canvas to just throw down a track layout. He has a tract of land, often oddly shaped and fraught with problems. He has to work around things like hotels, buildings etc that either already exist or are part of the plan, and he has to build the track the promoter wants him to build, as in Austin. But his name is on it, so he takes the heat for the outcome. He probably doesn't mind that much though, I guess, given how much money he makes off of it.

I was going to use the same phrase, bad rap. I think most people have problems with the huge areas of concrete surrounding the track. Those should be sand or lava or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Slight correction.

The aero covers are designated as OSC (open source components), which means that their design specification and IP must be available to everyone though a common server.

This is a new thing as an alternative to having a standard sourced component (SSC), which the wheels are. This means that they still build their own parts (or use their own chosen vendors), just to an open spec, and other teams can use those designs as well.

If the FIA decide that they want to use the LED panels on the aero covers, those parts will become a standard sourced part.

Other notable OSC components:

DRS adjuster mechanism (they want to get rid of DRS hopefully anyway, so this makes sense).

Drive shafts

Wheel hubs

Steering column

Steering wheel (will become SSC in 2023)

Brake calipers, master cylinder, and pads

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I was going to use the same phrase, bad rap. I think most people have problems with the huge areas of concrete surrounding the track. Those should be sand or lava or something. 

Absolutely agree. Blame the FIA for that though. Hellmund wanted a faster, more agressive track at multiple turn complexes, but the FIA wouldn't have it.

37 minutes ago, wood said:

That's what I thought. I wonder why they weren't on the front at the time of that photo. Probably no big deal.

Not sure why they had it rigged that way, but I like seeing it for the sake of comparison.  I don't like the covers, but hopefully I'll get used to them.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Not sure why they had it rigged that way, but I like seeing it for the sake of comparison.  I don't like the covers, but hopefully I'll get used to them.

Yeah I prefer the look of open wheels, too, esp since they're finally gonna be bigger ... but oh well.

31 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s just time to change it up!

Compounds are totally different, so it’s not really comparable. There will still be 5 dry compounds, intermediates, and wets. I hope the new inters and wets are much improved.

Yeah it's gonna be very interesting to see how the teams change suspension design & setup to deal with the handling & ride changes produced by the new lack of flex of compression in the sidewalls of these tires, esp at places like COTA. The suspensions will take a lot more of that kerb & bump beating now.

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it's gonna be very interesting to see how the teams change suspension design & setup to deal with the handling & ride changes produced by the new lack of flex of compression in the sidewalls of these tires, esp at places like COTA. The suspensions will take a lot more of that kerb & bump beating now.

wheels-fall-off-f1.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, wood said:

On the Ferrari, they have an open front wheel. I think I know the answer to this, but I'm not sure: Are the covers mandated for all 4 wheels, or is it up to the teams to decide how to employ them?

As close as I could find.

« 3.13.7 > Only one wheel cover per wheel should be rigidly attached to the rim so that it has the same rotational speed as the wheel to which it is attached and forms an aerodynamic seal to the rim. »

« In order to provide visual information to spectators, the FIA may require that each of the four hubcaps described in article 3.13.7 be fitted with a rotating LED display panel.. »

They look pretty terrible imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Slight correction.

The aero covers are designated as OSC (open source components), which means that their design specification and IP must be available to everyone though a common server.

Is this still the case? Wood's question had me looking at the regs and I couldn't find anywhere that expressly required the use of the covers until... 

17.5.7 The use of a PDC is mandatory and the particular function of that PDC must not be by-passed, replaced or complemented by another component.

image.png.b6e440fb692c7694181f7e62b6e9e35f.png

Is this still the case? Wood's question had me looking at the regs and I couldn't find anywhere that expressly required the use of the covers until... 
17.5.7 The use of a PDC is mandatory and the particular function of that PDC must not be by-passed, replaced or complemented by another component.
image.png.b6e440fb692c7694181f7e62b6e9e35f.png

That reference is from the 2021 regs. Check the 2022 ones.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, vicerous said:

As close as I could find.

« 3.13.7 > Only one wheel cover per wheel should be rigidly attached to the rim so that it has the same rotational speed as the wheel to which it is attached and forms an aerodynamic seal to the rim. »

« In order to provide visual information to spectators, the FIA may require that each of the four hubcaps described in article 3.13.7 be fitted with a rotating LED display panel.. »

They look pretty terrible imo. 

Oh man, are we going to get Danny Ric driving with an LED image of dickbutt on his hubcaps?

Just now, utee94 said:

Forget the wheel covers, F1 needs more of THIS:

Well That Didn't Work: The Crazy Plan to Bring 6-Wheeled Cars to F1 | WIRED

With the front wing and extra tires, it looks like it's made to clear livestock out of the road, not race around Monaco.

OBTW, for any of you who might be YoutubeTV subscribers, I got an email from them saying their deal with Disney runs out soon and no new deal has yet been reached. That means they're possibly about to lose all the Disney channels, which includes all the ESPNs, local ABC, and more.

Just started with YTTV and mostly loving it so far. FML.

13 minutes ago, wood said:

OBTW, for any of you who might be YoutubeTV subscribers, I got an email from them saying their deal with Disney runs out soon and no new deal has yet been reached. That means they're possibly about to lose all the Disney channels, which includes all the ESPNs, local ABC, and more.

Just started with YTTV and mostly loving it so far. FML.

They have these spats with multiple providers throughout the year. They'll spam you with "OMG Disney is the devil and charging us too much! Complain to them for us!" and then Disney will spam "OMG YouTube TV is the devil and demanding too much! Complain to them for us!" and then the spam stops, Disney never goes away, and we carry on until the next spat.

1 minute ago, dieucla98 said:

They have these spats with multiple providers throughout the year. They'll spam you with "OMG Disney is the devil and charging us too much! Complain to them for us!" and then Disney will spam "OMG YouTube TV is the devil and demanding too much! Complain to them for us!" and then the spam stops, Disney never goes away, and we carry on until the next spat.

Followed closely by a 12$ price hike for the finger painting channel. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, that one will get cleared up pretty quickly I bet.

I have been a YTTV user since just about the beginning and mostly love it. It knows when it’s time to watch F1!

It's pretty great - I wouldn't complain much if it didn't use to cost me 40$ a month. Fuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, that one will get cleared up pretty quickly I bet.

I have been a YTTV user since just about the beginning and mostly love it. It knows when it’s time to watch F1!

Yeah I hope so. I'm already having to pay to live stream Stars games (only live), because they can't get a deal with Bally. 

1 hour ago, vicerous said:

It's pretty great - I wouldn't complain much if it didn't use to cost me 40$ a month. Fuck

Yeah it's not cheap, but it's still about $30 cheaper than the cable, dish, or fiber alternatives for the same service level I'm getting (and they have limited DVR space and little to npo portability). 

Edited by wood

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Use stream east dot io for stars games. It works well, and can be airplayed if you’re into all that.

Thanks! Right now I'm using caststreams. Can you watch replays on stream east? Trying to watch every game live in primetime is a real pita.

ETA: Never mind. Doesn't look like it, but I'll still give it a try. Maybe the stream quality will be better.

Edited by wood

31 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Just in case you didn't know, use a VPN when you do that kind of stuff.

I might just get a VPN so I can watch live on ESPN+. They show the games, but blackout in-market games, and Austin is in the Stars market.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:43 PM, deft said:

You looois Stans excited he's getting his fellow countryman as a teammate next year?  GR looked pretty good in the W11 last year subbing for LH.  I'll be excited to see what he can do out of that Williams shitbox.

Could be one of the biggest stories of the year. It will be nice to have a rootable young driver at Merc. Lewis is like pulling for Alabama and Terry Boatass was always gonna be too much in his shadow. 

15 hours ago, vicerous said:

Followed closely by a 12$ price hike for the finger painting channel. 

the promise of streaming television has been "ditch your cable tv package that makes you pay for all the channels you dont want" and become "pay for our streaming tv package that makes you pay for all the channels you dont want"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hey now

Well, it's true.  Bask in it! :)

Meanwhile Ferrari is like Texas.  Used to be really good, it's been over a decade since they won anything important, and every time the situation looks like it might be looking up, the whole thing crashes and falls apart in some new, spectacular way.  All of the ultra-rich cooks in the kitchen make things harder for the team to execute, and it's possible there's just a deep-seated culture of softness and malaise that will prevent the organization from ever reaching the pinnacle again.

Hopefully I'm exaggerating on most or all of the above...

Edited by utee94
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, wood said:

I might just get a VPN so I can watch live on ESPN+. They show the games, but blackout in-market games, and Austin is in the Stars market.

Note that it won’t work on any device with a GPS (phone, tablet). I have a VPN (PIA VPN) that I use so I can watch Braves and Atlanta United matches when they are blacked out. I have to run it on a Mac Mini desktop and then mirror that to an Apple TV attached to my main TV. It works but it’s clunky and the picture quality isn’t great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Meanwhile Ferrari is like Texas.  Used to be really good, it's been over a decade since they won anything important, and every time the situation looks like it might be looking up, the whole thing crashes and falls apart in some new, spectacular way.  All of the ultra-rich cooks in the kitchen make things harder for the team to execute, and it's possible there's just a deep-seated culture of softness and malaise that will prevent the organization from ever reaching the pinnacle again.

Dude, that, um, hits a little too close to home.  Sad, but true.

• Rage+1 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

Read about Bruce and see if you don’t find yourself wearing papaya next year.

This.  I happened across a documentary movie McLaren a few years back.  It is definitely worth a rental. 

Spoiler

I kept wondering why he wasn't interviewed in the present day.  Then it begins to dawn on me. No. Surely not.  Then he's going out for one more lap.  No, Bruce. Don't.  ...  Fucking hell it got dusty in my living room.

Quite a few of those interviewed passed on shortly after the film was released.  Almost as if they needed to lend their voices to this recording of his story for posterity.  

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1