2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

Update:

Two periods to worry about:  the first is going on right now.  This is when a warm front has moved back north, and a convergence zone is mostly NW of us.  So far behaving as expected... most of the severe activity is NW of us, although there is a severe TS warning right now for San Saba.  This could backbuild south to reach us, but if it does it'll be quick and scattered.

The second period is the more likely one, after midnight.  That's when the front with the low will sweep in with the dry line.  Very good chance for severe storms, again NW of us but this could very easily be extended SE in our area.  I'd say chances are very good someone in the ATX region is going to get hail, strong winds, again maybe a sparse small tornado.  Biggest threats are wind and hail.  All of it should move out by 3 a.m. or so.

Stay tuned, could be some bumps tonight.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

So my two favorite weather "apps" are the NWS mobile site and Rainy Days.

The NWS radar has been n/a for weeks and Rainy Days I believe takes its radar data from NWS.  It works, but tends to be a couple of hours behind (it is radar-only and sweeps over a period of a couple of hours updating every 8-10 minutes; currently stops at 3:40 pm).

Anyone know whats up with all that?

Radar on weather.gov, the main site, seems to be fine.

Funny thing, some of the apparent clickbait radar from local news channels, uses more red and purple and looks much more dire than NWS.  I suspect that's initially just a "nomenclature" matter, but I am suspicious that it is designed to drive clicks/pageviews.

Why is part of Austin under a tornado watch?  I do not like getting those kinds of alerts right as I'm headed to bed.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 49 IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM CDT THURSDAY  FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN TEXAS BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT YOU TO SLEEP WELL TONIGHT

THIS WATCH INCLUDES 16 COUNTIES IN SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS

BANDERA BEXAR BLANCO COMAL EDWARDS GILLESPIE HAYS KENDALL KERR KINNEY MEDINA REAL TRAVIS UVALDE VAL VERDE WILLIAMSON

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF AUSTIN, BANDERA, BLANCO, BOERNE, BRACKETTVILLE, DEL RIO, FREDERICKSBURG, GEORGETOWN, HONDO, KERRVILLE, LEAKEY, NEW BRAUNFELS, ROCKSPRINGS, SAN ANTONIO, SAN MARCOS, AND UVALDE.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Update:

Things are pretty bad out west and NW of ATX.  Yes that's a pretty definite tornado moving just west of Junction.  These storms are nasty.

The hopeful/good news is that much of this activity will be worst out in the Hill Country, and hopefully weaken by the time they hit our area.  They often do later at night.  However these storms are almost certain to pass through us, and the only question is how bad?  Hopefully the line will fill in and prevent supercell rotation, which cuts down on hail and tornadoes.  Or just weaken.

I'm pretty sure though that a few places along the line from San Antonio to Waco, there will be hail and damaging wind.  Hopefully not, or very concentrated.  Someone's gonna get it.

The worst shoul happen from say about 1 or 2 up through about 4 this morning.  Should be a fun night.  Will update if needed/I'm awake.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Damn. Hope it leaves South Llano River SP alone. I’ve got camping reservations there on Saturday. 

That's a great park!  And a great canoe trip down the Llano from there.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Holy fuck. Hailing like a motherfucker in Hyde park. Never heard it this loud. Thinking my car might be getting a new windshield tomorrow. 

Glad we missed that (Bull Creek/2222). Had some pea sized hail that woke me up but not bad. 

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Holy fuck. Hailing like a motherfucker in Hyde park. Never heard it this loud. Thinking my car might be getting a new windshield tomorrow. 

Just to the west of you but holy fucking shit that was nuts.  I really thought we’d lose a car window.  

Wife woke me up just as it really came down, trying to hand me a bike helmet and yelling about throwing some blankets on the car windshield  I was ready to hand her a divorce.  

Anal bead sized hail from about 4:10-4:20a.  Full disclosure---I live not too far from South Austin's Mom.  

Now it's perfectly calm out there.  And the hail already melted.  

According to weather.com, there's a second wave of just rain coming around 5:30/6:00a but should only last an hour, no lightning.  Looks like another beautiful day in Austin, TX after that though.  Lotsa rain in our long term horizon, which is good for the drought conditions.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anal bead sized hail from about 4:10-4:20a.  Full disclosure---I live not too far from South Austin's Mom.  

Now it's perfectly calm out there.  And the hail already melted.  

According to weather.com, there's a second wave of just rain coming around 5:30/6:00a but should only last an hour, no lightning.  Looks like another beautiful day in Austin, TX after that though.  Lotsa rain in our long term horizon, which is good for the drought conditions.  

image.thumb.png.77b54a22c200e98a163af497259e92ed.png