Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Just now, Texas said:

He's surrounding himself with old familiar faces. Not good

You mean one generally well-regarded strength coach (out of two he's going to hire)?

Otherwise I don't think you can say taking guys from Saban's staff is really a backsliding kind of move. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, texifornia said:

You mean one generally well-regarded strength coach (out of two he's going to hire)?

Otherwise I don't think you can say taking guys from Saban's staff is really a backsliding kind of move. 

Or a highly thought of young coach that he's never worked with in Gideon.  Thats not a 'familiar face'.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Or a highly thought of young coach that he's never worked with in Gideon.  Thats not a 'familiar face'.

Yeah. It's actually preferable that his offensive staff is full of familiar faces. The problem was that Herman's guys sucked.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

Everybody wants to know who the next defensive coordinator/play-caller will be for the Longhorns.

Here are several names to know:

Zach Arnett - Mississippi State DC
Marcus Freeman - Cincinnati DC
Tosh Lupoi - Atlanta Falcons DL/OLB (former DC at Alabama)
Peter Sirmon - Cal-Berkeley DC
Derrick Mason - Vanderbilt HC
John Glenn - Seattle Seahawks LB
Pete Golding - Alabama DC
Chris Ash - Texas DC

Arnett has been approached by Texas and numerous other programs in recent days as well, including Notre Dame and South Carolina.

Freeman spent yesterday in Baton Rouge interviewing for the DC role at LSU, and is also a possibility at Notre Dame. Sarkisian has expressed interesting in speaking with him.

Lupoi and Sarkisian have a long relationship. But the question remains whether Sark would want Lupoi to call the defense. Lupoi is known as a recruiting rainmaker but not necessarily a great defensive mind.

Sirmon, a former NFL player, has been a defensive coordinator in three different conferences and has worked with Cal’s Justin Wilcox. Sark and Sirmon know each other well.

Former Vanderbilt head coach Derrick Mason is thought to be the leader for the defensive coordinator role at Auburn. Mason originally earned the Vandy job off of the strength of his performance as Stanford’s DC.

Seahawks HC Pete Carroll is said to have recommended John Glenn from his current staff to Sarkisian.

Pete Golding is coaching the Crimson Tide in the national championship on Monday. But it’s unclear if he will return to Tuscaloosa next season.

And that leaves Chris Ash, the Texas DC who showed increasingly promising results as the year went on, but who is apparently also a candidate at Florida, Arizona and potentially the NFL if Urban Meyer returns to coaching.

If I’m betting on this hire, Arnett is likely the guy. But I’m not so sure that the field wouldn’t have better odds overall.

One thing is for sure: athletic director Chris Del Conte is confident that Sarkisian will get his man. Del Conte has told multiple boosters in the last 24 hours that things are going great in Sarkisian’s efforts to fill out his staff. Del Conte is exuding confidence while preaching patience.

[b]Sarkisian will host a private Zoom call at 10am this morning with all former Texas football lettermen.

The call is expected to last an hour or so. Lettermen were notified by email yesterday and asked to participate as well as RSVP for the event.

We should have some intel from the call following it.[/b]

The last portion is very interesting and ironic to me. I was at a buddies house last night who is neighbors with a former letterman and he said under the Herman regime fewer and fewer players if any at all were going back to train at Texas during the off season - even before the covid outbreaks.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The last portion is very interesting and ironic to me. I was at a buddies house last night who is neighbors with a former letterman and he said under the Herman regime fewer and fewer players if any at all were going back to train at Texas during the off season - even before the covid outbreaks.

I remember early in Herman's tenure he made it a point to bring the old lettermen back to be around the program, but as the years went on you heard less and less about that. I think because they all got to know Herman and didn't want to hang out around him.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Texas said:

He's surrounding himself with old familiar faces. Not good

Familiar faces? Herman is the one who did that when he basically brought his entire coaching staff from G5 Houston to Texas.

This is absolutely not that.

No overlap with Drayton, Carrington, Chang (assuming he keeps the job?), Gideon

Brings in his S&C guy - which you would kind of hope he would know the S&C guy

Brings in his own QB guy - which makes sense considering he is going to be the head coach and needs someone he trusts to help with QBs

Brings in what is honestly the actual best possible hire at OL with Flood

Potentially bringing (or trying to) bring other dudes from Saban's staff at WR and TE/Rainmaker

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sarkisian will host a private Zoom call at 10am this morning with all former Texas football lettermen.

The call is expected to last an hour or so. Lettermen were notified by email yesterday and asked to participate as well as RSVP for the event.

Herman was a known asshole - not shocking folks wanted nothing to do with being around him.

He has to be the least "loved" Texas Coach in the last 40 years, right?

IIRC, players loved Akers. No clue about McWilliams. I thought players loved Mackovic but not for sure. Obv players loved Mack and Charlie.

from looking at the foundation list posted above, not sure anyone on that list is really plugged in based on recent follows.

guessing that the guy we have talked about before subs at either a pay site or here...don't want to say TOO much just in case they become a useful source in the future or end up with someone telling them to lock it up but just mentioning it in general.

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So basically Bobby reads Surly.

I hope Burton is wrong about Arnett. Just don't think he's been tested enough. San Diego st. is still highly ranked in team D after his departure.  I don't see him as a step up from Ash.  At this point if it's not Freeman, then I'd rather stay with Ash

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby had it wrong, the zoom call is next week

5 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I hope Burton is wrong about Arnett. Just don't think he's been tested enough. San Diego st. is still highly ranked in team D after his departure.  I don't see him as a step up from Ash.  At this point if it's not Freeman, then I'd rather stay with Ash

If possible I'd take Freeman because Fickell obviously approves and Vrabel, Mel Tucker, and now Brian Kelly have all tried to hire him away. 

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I’ll ask again where the “we’re going to have two guys managing the S&C side “ is coming from besides Nahlin claiming he’s hearing that? 

I’m not saying that it won’t happen, I’d just like to understand what the underlying support to the premise is beyond one guy who has no insights whatsoever otherwise to what the Sarkisian end is doing or planning. Some of you guys are being matter of fact about it, so it would be helpful to track the different places claiming it, in order to understand that it’s not a hypothesis of one being floated by a guy known for making shit up. 

The guys at Bama were unknowns when Saban picked them up. One is a PhD with no football background of interest. Is the premise here that we’re going to slap a dork into the S&C sandwich with an old school guy and call it a success along the likes of whatever Bama is doing?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The latest:

image.thumb.png.02f43137003571c62ca4b7015d836237.png

Thank you, but why isn't there an OC on there? Don't tell me BoB is still the guy there...

Hoping for Ash on D, the guys seemed to really buy in and he didn't do too bad in a year 1 with no offseason and no offense.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The guys at Bama were unknowns when Saban picked them up. One is a PhD with no football background of interest. Is the premise here that we’re going to slap a dork into the S&C sandwich with an old school guy and call it a success along the likes of whatever Bama is doing?

I volunteer to be the dork. I'll do the job for a cool 400k. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll ask again where the “we’re going to have two guys managing the S&C side “ is coming from besides Nahlin claiming he’s hearing that? 

I’m not saying that it won’t happen, I’d just like to understand what the underlying support to the premise is beyond one guy who has no insights whatsoever otherwise to what the Sarkisian end is doing or planning. Some of you guys are being matter of fact about it, so it would be helpful to track the different places claiming it, in order to understand that it’s not a hypothesis of one being floated by a guy known for making shit up. 

Went purely off Nahlin, yup

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Interesting that Sark is requiring his DC to run a 3-3-5, not as a necessary base set but I’m guessing he is thinking that is the defense that will work the best in the big 12. I know Arnett runs it but does Freeman? 

My guess would be because it's probably the new wave of defense to combat the spread. It's base in of iteself can be multiple front opportunities and you don't have to change much when going against more traditional offense.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There is an interesting article about it that the "dork" you reference is Saban wanting to take S&C into the 21st century and make more of a science about it instead of just eat meat and protein shakes and lift weights me big you small. 

I mean it makes sense.

image.png.d55e32d964d30529b665912e52b0dcab.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The latest:

image.thumb.png.02f43137003571c62ca4b7015d836237.png

Sure seems like there aren't a lot of DL names being thrown out. Someone said Chip also mentioned Dan Quinn, but not sure how he'd fare as a DC, but he's a good DL coach I believe.

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Interesting that Sark is requiring his DC to run a 3-3-5, not as a necessary base set but I’m guessing he is thinking that is the defense that will work the best in the big 12. I know Arnett runs it but does Freeman? 

Yes.  Article I read said that Freeman started out as an even front guy at Cincy but evolved to running the 3-3-5 as a way to combat the high scoring offenses in their conference.

6 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I posted a week or two ago my top 5 worst longhorn moments how Gideon was intimately involved in 2 of those moments.  The drop in 2008 of course.  But the one people forget is during the NC game against Alabama, Blake  “learned” his lesson and caught an int.  Only one problem.  It was 4th down. No big deal, just field position...only one problem, that very series is the series Colt got hurt. Therefore, if Blake had dropped the 4th down interception, there is a very good chance that Colt play would not have been called, because we would already have made a TD.  At the end of my post, I flippantly asked do you think he will ever coach at Texas?  Of course, I thought there is no way he’ll ever coach here.  

So, I now see the light.  Blake Gideon is coming back to Texas to right the wrong.  He owes us 2 national championships, and he’s gonna be the hardest working asst. coach anybody has ever seen.  

You cannot make this stuff up.  It is HAPPENING!!!

His interception in the NCG cost us 17 yards of field position, and then Colt got hurt on the 12 yard line... So, I think it's more than justifiable to blame Colt's injury on Blake. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am assuming your reference to 3-3-5 is really a reference to the modern 3-2-6/Tite Front.  Almost no one runs the old 3-3-5 stack these days, other than Gibson, who was at WVU for several years.  But Bama has been a leading adopter of the Tite front defense, after Heacock rolled it out at Iowa State a few years back.  I am sure Sark has been in conversations with Saban about how and why it is an effective way to defend modern offensive attacks.  Aranda used it at LSU and had good results with it, too.  And Sark has seen Bama have success with it in the SEC and throughout the playoffs for the last two years.  Why wouldn't Sark want to run the same defense Saban is running?

3 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

His interception in the NCG cost us 17 yards of field position, and then Colt got hurt on the 12 yard line... So, I think it's more than justifiable to blame Colt's injury on Blake. 

I blame it on FUPM. Recruit some RBs and an O-line and we're not running Colt into Marcell Dareus's fatass.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Thank you, but why isn't there an OC on there? Don't tell me BoB is still the guy there...

Hoping for Ash on D, the guys seemed to really buy in and he didn't do too bad in a year 1 with no offseason and no offense.

Sark will be the OC, probably with Milwee and Flood as co-OC (passing game coord and running game coord)

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB

Spoiler

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Steve Sarkisian’s search for a defensive coordinator. So let’s start with what happened with Will Muschamp.

Muschamp just got $13 million to walk out the door at South Carolina, where was let go after a 2-5 start in his fifth season as coach of the Gamecocks (28-30). His wife, Carol, and son, Whit, a freshman in high school, are happy in Columbia, where they live in an incredible house on an island on Lake Murray. (Muschamp’s older son, Jackson, is a freshman walk-on at Georgia, Muschamp’s alma mater.)

I’m told Muschamp doesn’t want to get back into coaching in 2021. His decision had nothing to do with any kind of reluctance about returning to Texas or Austin or any kind of reluctance about working with Sarkisian. In fact, Muschamp didn’t turn down the defensive coordinator job at Texas. Muschamp made it so clear to Sarkisian that he didn’t plan on working in 2021 that Sarkisian never offered the job, sources said.

So, where does that leave Sarkisian in his search for a defensive coordinator?

I’m hearing Sarkisian’s short list includes:

Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman …

Freeman is also drawing interest from Notre Dame and LSU. Notre Dame was seen as the frontrunner, but Sarkisian hasn’t even had a chance to meet with Freeman at this point. So, if Freeman is willing to be patient and meet with Sarkisian after the national championship game, no one can play the money game like Texas. Freeman’s defense finished No. 8 in points allowed in FBS (16.8 points per game) for the Bearcats.

Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett …

A disciple of Rocky Long’s 3-3-5, Arnett, 34, helped a Mississippi State defense that lost seven starters improve from No. 73 in scoring defense (prior to his arrival) to No. 57 in 2020. MSU’s run defense also improved from 59th (152.4 ypg) to 23rd (126.4) in 2020. I’m told Sarkisian has already spoken with Arnett.

Title/Alt Text
Matt Ryan (Photo: Bob Donnan, USA TODAY Sports)
Former Atlanta Falcons coach and former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn …

How about this for a possible twist of fate? Quinn was Sarkisian’s boss when Sarkisian was the offensive coordinator of the Falcons in 2017 and 2018 (before Quinn was pressured into letting Sarkisian go following the 2018 season). But before Quinn was Pete Carroll’s defensive coordinator in Seattle in 2013 and 2014, when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl (2013) over Denver and then lost the Super Bowl (to the Patriots), Quinn was the defensive coordinator at Florida in 2011 and 2012 under Will Muschamp. I’m told Quinn wants to get back into coaching in the college game - not the NFL - and he’s interested in becoming Texas’ next defensive coordinator. Quinn’s high-energy personality is seen as a natural fit on the recruiting trail and what recruit wouldn’t want to play for the defensive coordinator of the Legion Of Boom right?

Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash …

Sarkisian hasn’t made any final decisions on Texas defensive coaches, because he’s still considering options, including the possibility of keeping Ash as defensive coordinator. Ash is also drawing interest from Dan Mullen as a possible co-defensive coordinator in charge of safeties at Florida after Mullen fired safeties coach Ron English (as well as cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray) last week.

Sarkisian is obviously trying to cram a lot of staff decision-making into whatever spare time he can afford this week when he’s not preparing Alabama’s offense for Monday’s national championship game against Ohio State.

His defensive coordinator hire is arguably the most important decision he’ll make in his return to being a head coach.

Some of you have asked about other possible defensive position coaches, such as Tosh Lupoi, who served as Sark’s D-line coach at Washington (2012-13) and is currently the D-line coach of the Falcons. But until Sarkisian makes a decision on his coordinator, he’s been holding off on decisions involving most position coaches.

His decision on exactly what role Blake Gideon will have is actually still up in the air until Alabama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks makes a final decision on if he’ll stay at Alabama or possibly join Sark’s staff at Texas.

Interestingly enough, Tom Herman made a run at Banks last year before hiring Jay Boulware in the same role. I'm told Banks didn't feel strong enough about Herman's job security to leave Alabama. He was right.

If Banks comes to Texas this time, Gideon is coaching in the secondary. If Banks stays at Alabama, Gideon is special teams coordinator. We wait.

STEVE SARKISIAN’S OFFENSE

(Photo: MIckey Welsh, USA TODAY Sports)
Steve Sarkisian made a couple things clear from an offensive standpoint when he addressed Texas players for the first time as coach on Saturday:

No. 1 — Sark will be calling the plays on offense;

No. 2 — Sark will adjust the scheme to the talent, but there is no plan to use the quarterback as a runner on a bunch of power plays or sweeps - especially in the red zone or on short-yardage plays - the way Tom Herman did.

Sark told the team he was purely a “pro-style” guy as an assistant coach to Pete Carroll at USC from 2001-03 (including QB coach for Carson Palmer in his 2002 Heisman Trophy winning season) and again from 2005-08.

But Sark said he began evolving his offensive philosophy to more of a power spread when he was the head coach at Washington with Jake Locker at quarterback in 2009 and 2010.

In recent years, in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons and the past two seasons at Alabama, Sark has gotten much more into the RPO game.

Sark has used much more play-action with Mac Jones at quarterback than he did with Tua Tagovailoa.

The signature of Alabama’s RPO game the past two seasons has been rock-solid production at running back (Najee Harris) combined with blazing speed at receiver, whether it be Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle or 2020 Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith.

The quarterback play wasn’t too bad, either, considering Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones combined to complete 70 percent of their passes in 2019, and Jones has completed 77 percent of his passes in 2020 with 36 touchdowns and just four interceptions.

Texas has the ideal running back for Sarkisian’s RPO offense in Bijan Robinson as well as speed at receiver in Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon.

The million-dollar question will be how Casey Thompson and Hudson Card adapt to Sarkisian’s offense? I know Sark has spoken to Thompson and Bijan Robinson individually following his introduction to the entire team.

Sark told Thompson he was impressed with his Alamo Bowl performance and to be ready to get to work once Sark gets on campus following Alabama’s national championship game against Ohio State.

Sark basically told Robinson that if the freshman running back is ready to put in the work, he’s going to love being featured as the running back in his offense, because it involves healthy doses of running and catching the football.

Robinson played in only nine of 10 games this season with 86 carries for 703 yards, producing a school-record 8.2 yards per carry, with four touchdowns. Robinson also caught 15 passes for 196 yards and two TDs.

By contrast, Alabama’s Najee Harris ran the ball 209 times for 1,224 yards (5.9 ypc) and 13 touchdowns in 2019 with 27 receptions for 304 yards and seven TDs.

In 2020, Harris, a Heisman Trophy finalist, ran 229 times for 1,387 yards (6.1 ypc) and 24 touchdowns with 36 receptions for 346 yards and three TDs.

Robinson can probably expect his workload to at least double in 2021.

DEREK KERSTETTER PLANNING TO RETURN

(Photo: Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
Senior offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter, who is recovering from surgery to repair his dislocated left ankle, is planning to return to Texas for his additional year of eligibility awarded by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Horns247 has learned.

If Kerstetter hadn’t suffered such a serious injury (against Kansas State on Dec. 5), he probably wouldn’t have made the decision to return to Texas and probably would’ve taken his chances in pro football, sources told Horns247.

But now Kerstetter senses the need to show the NFL he has recovered from the injury, so Kerstetter plans to return to Texas as a graduate student to play for the Longhorns in 2021, the sources said.

Kerstetter is excited about the possibility of playing tackle or guard in 2021 now that Jake Majors has two starts at center and appears capable and comfortable, one source said.

We reported in the Morning Brew on Wednesday Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood is expected to take the same position on Sarkisian’s staff at Texas (probably with the offensive coordinator title, even though Sark has made it clear he’s calling the offensive plays).

COMMENTS
It will be interesting this spring to see how Flood views his offensive line talent considering Christian Jones, Kerstetter and Andrej Karic would’ve been the most likely tackle candidates under Herman’s staff. Denzel Okafor, Junior Angilau, Tyler Johnson and Isaiah Hookfin are considered the top competitors at guard, while Jake Majors is the leading candidate at center.

Kerstetter, Cade Brewer, Josh Thompson, Keondre Coburn and Roschon Johnson helped organize a players-only meeting on Monday - following the dismissal of Tom Herman and the hiring of Steve Sarkisian - to rally the rest of the team to stay focused, stay positive and to keep working out until the new staff arrives.

• Hook 'Em 7

Dan Quinn wasn't great as a DC at Atlanta (he pulled a Herman and took control of playcalling for some time when things went to shit) when he didn't have major talent advantages. Things would be stacked in his favor at Texas, but I don't know if he's as "cutting edge" compared to someone like Arnett or Freeman.

He's also a well-respected guy in the locker room.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Especially contrasted to the stuff Jeff Howe mentioned (which I somehow missed or dismissed) from Herman's takeover.  Sounded like he alienated the media straight out of the gate with his first meeting with them.  I had never heard the "sit up straight, both feet on the floor" new sheriff in town tough guy bullshit Herman pulled on his first meeting with the team.  

I do remember the "no parent should talk to the media" bullshit.  That along with the runny eggs bullshit should have been the first screaming red flags, but I was too in love with Herman's 13-1 record and let it all pass.  Maryland part 1 and Tech later that year was my first real souring on Herman.

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

FCB

Hide contents

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Steve Sarkisian’s search for a defensive coordinator. So let’s start with what happened with Will Muschamp.

Muschamp just got $13 million to walk out the door at South Carolina, where was let go after a 2-5 start in his fifth season as coach of the Gamecocks (28-30). His wife, Carol, and son, Whit, a freshman in high school, are happy in Columbia, where they live in an incredible house on an island on Lake Murray. (Muschamp’s older son, Jackson, is a freshman walk-on at Georgia, Muschamp’s alma mater.)

I’m told Muschamp doesn’t want to get back into coaching in 2021. His decision had nothing to do with any kind of reluctance about returning to Texas or Austin or any kind of reluctance about working with Sarkisian. In fact, Muschamp didn’t turn down the defensive coordinator job at Texas. Muschamp made it so clear to Sarkisian that he didn’t plan on working in 2021 that Sarkisian never offered the job, sources said.

So, where does that leave Sarkisian in his search for a defensive coordinator?

I’m hearing Sarkisian’s short list includes:

Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman …

Freeman is also drawing interest from Notre Dame and LSU. Notre Dame was seen as the frontrunner, but Sarkisian hasn’t even had a chance to meet with Freeman at this point. So, if Freeman is willing to be patient and meet with Sarkisian after the national championship game, no one can play the money game like Texas. Freeman’s defense finished No. 8 in points allowed in FBS (16.8 points per game) for the Bearcats.

Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett …

A disciple of Rocky Long’s 3-3-5, Arnett, 34, helped a Mississippi State defense that lost seven starters improve from No. 73 in scoring defense (prior to his arrival) to No. 57 in 2020. MSU’s run defense also improved from 59th (152.4 ypg) to 23rd (126.4) in 2020. I’m told Sarkisian has already spoken with Arnett.

Title/Alt Text
Matt Ryan (Photo: Bob Donnan, USA TODAY Sports)
Former Atlanta Falcons coach and former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn …

How about this for a possible twist of fate? Quinn was Sarkisian’s boss when Sarkisian was the offensive coordinator of the Falcons in 2017 and 2018 (before Quinn was pressured into letting Sarkisian go following the 2018 season). But before Quinn was Pete Carroll’s defensive coordinator in Seattle in 2013 and 2014, when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl (2013) over Denver and then lost the Super Bowl (to the Patriots), Quinn was the defensive coordinator at Florida in 2011 and 2012 under Will Muschamp. I’m told Quinn wants to get back into coaching in the college game - not the NFL - and he’s interested in becoming Texas’ next defensive coordinator. Quinn’s high-energy personality is seen as a natural fit on the recruiting trail and what recruit wouldn’t want to play for the defensive coordinator of the Legion Of Boom right?

Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash …

Sarkisian hasn’t made any final decisions on Texas defensive coaches, because he’s still considering options, including the possibility of keeping Ash as defensive coordinator. Ash is also drawing interest from Dan Mullen as a possible co-defensive coordinator in charge of safeties at Florida after Mullen fired safeties coach Ron English (as well as cornerbacks coach Torrian Gray) last week.

Sarkisian is obviously trying to cram a lot of staff decision-making into whatever spare time he can afford this week when he’s not preparing Alabama’s offense for Monday’s national championship game against Ohio State.

His defensive coordinator hire is arguably the most important decision he’ll make in his return to being a head coach.

Some of you have asked about other possible defensive position coaches, such as Tosh Lupoi, who served as Sark’s D-line coach at Washington (2012-13) and is currently the D-line coach of the Falcons. But until Sarkisian makes a decision on his coordinator, he’s been holding off on decisions involving most position coaches.

His decision on exactly what role Blake Gideon will have is actually still up in the air until Alabama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks makes a final decision on if he’ll stay at Alabama or possibly join Sark’s staff at Texas.

Interestingly enough, Tom Herman made a run at Banks last year before hiring Jay Boulware in the same role. I'm told Banks didn't feel strong enough about Herman's job security to leave Alabama. He was right.

If Banks comes to Texas this time, Gideon is coaching in the secondary. If Banks stays at Alabama, Gideon is special teams coordinator. We wait.

STEVE SARKISIAN’S OFFENSE

(Photo: MIckey Welsh, USA TODAY Sports)
Steve Sarkisian made a couple things clear from an offensive standpoint when he addressed Texas players for the first time as coach on Saturday:

No. 1 — Sark will be calling the plays on offense;

No. 2 — Sark will adjust the scheme to the talent, but there is no plan to use the quarterback as a runner on a bunch of power plays or sweeps - especially in the red zone or on short-yardage plays - the way Tom Herman did.

Sark told the team he was purely a “pro-style” guy as an assistant coach to Pete Carroll at USC from 2001-03 (including QB coach for Carson Palmer in his 2002 Heisman Trophy winning season) and again from 2005-08.

But Sark said he began evolving his offensive philosophy to more of a power spread when he was the head coach at Washington with Jake Locker at quarterback in 2009 and 2010.

In recent years, in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons and the past two seasons at Alabama, Sark has gotten much more into the RPO game.

Sark has used much more play-action with Mac Jones at quarterback than he did with Tua Tagovailoa.

The signature of Alabama’s RPO game the past two seasons has been rock-solid production at running back (Najee Harris) combined with blazing speed at receiver, whether it be Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle or 2020 Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith.

The quarterback play wasn’t too bad, either, considering Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones combined to complete 70 percent of their passes in 2019, and Jones has completed 77 percent of his passes in 2020 with 36 touchdowns and just four interceptions.

Texas has the ideal running back for Sarkisian’s RPO offense in Bijan Robinson as well as speed at receiver in Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon.

The million-dollar question will be how Casey Thompson and Hudson Card adapt to Sarkisian’s offense? I know Sark has spoken to Thompson and Bijan Robinson individually following his introduction to the entire team.

Sark told Thompson he was impressed with his Alamo Bowl performance and to be ready to get to work once Sark gets on campus following Alabama’s national championship game against Ohio State.

Sark basically told Robinson that if the freshman running back is ready to put in the work, he’s going to love being featured as the running back in his offense, because it involves healthy doses of running and catching the football.

Robinson played in only nine of 10 games this season with 86 carries for 703 yards, producing a school-record 8.2 yards per carry, with four touchdowns. Robinson also caught 15 passes for 196 yards and two TDs.

By contrast, Alabama’s Najee Harris ran the ball 209 times for 1,224 yards (5.9 ypc) and 13 touchdowns in 2019 with 27 receptions for 304 yards and seven TDs.

In 2020, Harris, a Heisman Trophy finalist, ran 229 times for 1,387 yards (6.1 ypc) and 24 touchdowns with 36 receptions for 346 yards and three TDs.

Robinson can probably expect his workload to at least double in 2021.

DEREK KERSTETTER PLANNING TO RETURN

(Photo: Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
Senior offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter, who is recovering from surgery to repair his dislocated left ankle, is planning to return to Texas for his additional year of eligibility awarded by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Horns247 has learned.

If Kerstetter hadn’t suffered such a serious injury (against Kansas State on Dec. 5), he probably wouldn’t have made the decision to return to Texas and probably would’ve taken his chances in pro football, sources told Horns247.

But now Kerstetter senses the need to show the NFL he has recovered from the injury, so Kerstetter plans to return to Texas as a graduate student to play for the Longhorns in 2021, the sources said.

Kerstetter is excited about the possibility of playing tackle or guard in 2021 now that Jake Majors has two starts at center and appears capable and comfortable, one source said.

We reported in the Morning Brew on Wednesday Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood is expected to take the same position on Sarkisian’s staff at Texas (probably with the offensive coordinator title, even though Sark has made it clear he’s calling the offensive plays).

COMMENTS
It will be interesting this spring to see how Flood views his offensive line talent considering Christian Jones, Kerstetter and Andrej Karic would’ve been the most likely tackle candidates under Herman’s staff. Denzel Okafor, Junior Angilau, Tyler Johnson and Isaiah Hookfin are considered the top competitors at guard, while Jake Majors is the leading candidate at center.

Kerstetter, Cade Brewer, Josh Thompson, Keondre Coburn and Roschon Johnson helped organize a players-only meeting on Monday - following the dismissal of Tom Herman and the hiring of Steve Sarkisian - to rally the rest of the team to stay focused, stay positive and to keep working out until the new staff arrives.

Too Chip Brown didn’t read.

FCB

Edited by Bigbend1812
English fail.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3