Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

34 minutes ago, burdine said:

It seems like the Name, Image and Likeness changes coming down the road probably change the whole game anyway and put everything above board therefore I'm thinking certain hires might not have the same risk as before to UT's sterling reputation.

NCAA Link

If adopted, the measures would:

• Allow student-athletes to use their name, image and likeness to promote camps and clinics, private lessons, their own products and services, and commercial products or services.
  • Allow student-athletes to be paid for their autographs and personal appearances.
  • Allow student-athletes to crowdfund for nonprofits or charitable organizations, catastrophic events and family hardships, as well as for educational expenses not covered by cost of attendance.
  • Allow student-athletes the opportunity to use professional advice and marketing assistance regarding name, image and likeness activities, as well as professional representation in contract negotiations related to name, image and likeness activities, with some restrictions.
  • Prohibit schools from being involved in the development, operation or promotion of a student-athlete’s business activity, unless the activity is developed as part of a student’s coursework or academic program.
  • Prohibit schools from arranging or securing endorsement opportunities for student-athletes.

Student-athletes would not be permitted to use their school’s marks in any advertisements, endorsements, personal appearances or promotions. Additionally, they could not participate in activities involving a commercial product or service that conflicts with NCAA legislation (such as sports wagering or banned substances), and schools would have the opportunity to prohibit activities that conflict with school values or existing sponsorship arrangements. The school would be required to disclose activities that would be prohibited at the time a student is admitted or signs a financial aid agreement.

WE are going to need to add this course to our curriculum. Maybe have Marcus Lemonis from The Profit teach it.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but Kerstetter coming back and moving back to tackle is huge for this offensive line. Look at what Flood is inheriting there vs. Warehime or Wickline. 2021 should be the best offensive line Texas has fielded since 2006 and that was before adding competent coaching and cohesive scheme fit. Herman had to go but he sure as shit left Texas in a much better place than he found it.

I want to push back on the optimism for our OL next year a bit

Were the KSU and Colorado games encouraging? Yes. But let's not get carried away. We've had high NFL drafts picks starting at LT for the better part of the last six years. I really like what I saw from Karic, and I still believe in Jones's potential, but we will assuredly have a step back at the most important position on the line next year. That's something we'd be foolish to overlook.

I also like what I've seen from Majors at Center, but he won't be a high level starter until he adds more core strength. He gets ends up 2 yards in the backfield on a regular basis. This is a problem that has plagued him since high school and I'm not sure that one more offseason will be enough to get him to where he needs to be. I'm confident he'll develop physically at some point and be a great player, but this is the problem when you're relying on first and second year players on the OL. Remember all the talks we've had about how great it will be to put guys on the shelf and not start them until they are upperclassmen? Let's not renege on that.

I actually do like our options at guard and RT with Kerstetter returning. None of the guys are great but overall I have a high floor, medium ceiling for those spots next year. 

This is the same trap that we fell into setting our expectations for the defense in 2019 and the WRs this year--seeing young talent that has flashed and projecting that it will develop at multiple positions. Some will, some won't. Kerstetter is the only one I trust to play well against a good DL and he's coming back from a major injury. We shouldn't expect consistent plus play at more than 3 positions on the OL next year.

I'm pretty hyped for Flood though. He just needs time

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Light on the coaching career...

Career information
High school: Chicago Heights (IL) Bloom
College: Notre Dame
NFL Draft: 1994 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7
Career history
As player:
As coach:
Career highlights and awards

Also he has retired from coaching twice now.

52 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Maybe because Brady Hoke is still there? While obviously not a good HC for Michigan, he seems to thrive at SDSU.

Funny enough, the current Michigan coach had success at USD.

48 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Only issue I have with Freeman or Quinn IMO is them wanting to be a HC in the next two years. Arnett could give us 3-4. That of course is a small ass concern because we are winning a lot of ball games if they are putting themselves in that position. So really I am good with anyone on those lists except for Golding and Sirmon (and Lupoi if he is the primary play caller)

Other issue with Freeman is is he willing to take guys who aren't his?  Will he work with more experienced guys and would they work with him?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Were the KSU and Colorado games encouraging? Yes. But let's not get carried away. We've had high NFL drafts picks starting at LT for the better part of the last six years. I really like what I saw from Karic, and I still believe in Jones's potential, but we will assuredly have a step back at the most important position on the line next year. That's something we'd be foolish to overlook.

I also like what I've seen from Majors at Center, but he won't be a high level starter until he adds more core strength. He gets ends up 2 yards in the backfield on a regular basis. This is a problem that has plagued him since high school and I'm not sure that one more offseason will be enough to get him to where he needs to be. I'm confident he'll develop physically at some point and be a great player, but this is the problem when you're relying on first and second year players on the OL. Remember all the talks we've had about how great it will be to put guys on the shelf and not start them until they are upperclassmen? Let's not renege on that.

I actually do like our options at guard and RT with Kerstetter returning. None of the guys are great but overall I have a high floor, medium ceiling for those spots next year. 

This is the same trap that we fell into setting our expectations for the defense in 2019 and the WRs this year--seeing young talent that has flashed and projecting that it will develop at multiple positions. Some will, some won't. Kerstetter is the only one I trust to play well against a good DL and he's coming back from a major injury. We shouldn't expect consistent plus play at more than 3 positions on the OL next year.

We'll see if Sark can land a transfer or two. This roster may change a good deal before we play a game this fall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is an interesting article about it that the "dork" you reference is Saban wanting to take S&C into the 21st century and make more of a science about it instead of just eat meat and protein shakes and lift weights me big you small. 

I mean it makes sense.

image.png.d55e32d964d30529b665912e52b0dcab.png

I’m not questioning that it may make sense or work. It’s working at Bama. I’m questioning the validity of the notion that that is what Texas is going to do now. Nahlin saying it, and that being the only reference point, indicates to me that no one knows shit. Might happen, but it’s not something to be looking at as a matter of fact. There may not be a whole lot of those interested PhD types around. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Correct. The 14th

There’s a Zoom on the 15th with Sarkisian for donors above a certain threshold. I guess I’d assume that the ex players would get attention first, so that’s good, as we’re not talking about full-blown BMD types. 

I hope he resonates with everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Other issue with Freeman is is he willing to take guys who aren't his?  Will he work with more experienced guys and would they work with him?

I think we need to assume that any DC that we hire will want at least one of "their" guys who isn't one of the flashy names we're wishcasting into existence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

The most important question we should be asking is do any of these potential hires have hot wives and/or daughters (18+) for us to gawk at?

That needs to be weighed heavily.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Cross off Quinn, then.

Dan-Quinn-Wife.jpg

She definitely is weighed heavily

• Like 1

2012 Florida defense was really good.  2nd in DFEI that year, 1st in SP+.  So Quinn has that going for him.

On the other hand, the 2020 Cincinnati defense was really good.  3rd in DFEI in the current ranking.  Freeman has that going for him.  Had 8 tackles in the '09 Fiesta Bowl for whatever that is worth.

Edited by El Hornarino
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

2012 Florida defense was really good.  2nd in DFEI that year.  So Quinn has that going for him.

On the other hand, the 2020 Cincinnati defense was really good.  3rd in DFEI in the current ranking.  Freeman has that going for him.  Had 8 tackles in the '09 Fiesta Bowl for whatever that is worth.

Would rather have the guy who was 2nd while coaching in the SEC and 1st in the NFL in back to back years. 

If Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady Quinn would have 3 super bowls and still be employed in Atlanta. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, but that would be more because of Kyle Shanahan, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones than the defense.

The fuck did Julio do wrong that game? Fairly certain he caught every target including a top-5 all-time SB catch that should have sealed the game

On the NLI stuff, rather than touting our social media impressions are we going to be bragging about how many subscribers our players' OnlyFans accounts have? I hope shit gets as weird as I anticipate

edit: lol, i read that mostly as blame for the loss (some def deserves to be directed toward Shanahan/Ryan for that game), but I think I had it backwards. Mea culpa

Edited by TommyGufano

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know what we're using as 'confirmed' - but multiple sites have now reported that Flood will be the OL coach at Texas.

We aint using Chip, that's for sure!

all i saw was chip and football scoop.

waiting for some more from other sources than chip/247

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

2012 Florida defense was really good.  2nd in DFEI that year.  So Quinn has that going for him.

And more importantly, DIDN'T have a 9th tackle 🙂

(Love this clip ... with a hyperventilating Craig Way on audio.)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not questioning that it may make sense or work. It’s working at Bama. I’m questioning the validity of the notion that that is what Texas is going to do now. Nahlin saying it, and that being the only reference point, indicates to me that no one knows shit. Might happen, but it’s not something to be looking at as a matter of fact. There may not be a whole lot of those interested PhD types around. Who knows. 

There’s a Zoom on the 15th with Sarkisian for donors above a certain threshold. I guess I’d assume that the ex players would get attention first, so that’s good, as we’re not talking about full-blown BMD types. 

I hope he resonates with everyone. 

I have no idea what Sark will do, but Texas Athletics - including football - has embraced and utilized the sports science dimension in strength and conditioning.  Matt Van Dyke worked very closely with Yancy until he left last season (I believe he is with the Texans now).  Matt Hamm replaced Van Dyke (though he wasn't as embraced as Van Dyke by the football guys). Travis Vlantes heads up the team.  He isn't as involved in football, but oversees the rest of the UT sports.

You can see a glimpse of it starting at the 40 second mark of this youtube video. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We aint using Chip, that's for sure!

all i saw was chip and football scoop.

waiting for some more from other sources than chip/247

there was a screenshot from the Cal site saying the same thing..he was going to Texas and they had a list of potential replacements for Becton

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Banks looks like a dork.  He has the BDE though.  Do want!

If I am really thinking about it, I don't know that Banks is really a guy you want around Sark long term. Addiction recovery is about surrounding yourself with the right people and if he surrounds himself with a bunch of crazy asses with stripper girlfriends who snort coke on the weekends then it could be a recipe for disaster at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Interesting that Sark is requiring his DC to run a 3-3-5, not as a necessary base set but I’m guessing he is thinking that is the defense that will work the best in the big 12. I know Arnett runs it but does Freeman? 

There was an article that I had read that Freeman ran a base 4-3 originally at Cincy, switched to 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. Has also run 4-4 against Navy and a bear 5 front against Army. They said he evolved his base scheme as his players continued to grow, allowing them to grow into new positions as they continued their development.

Edited by HornsTX231994
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, someguy said:

I have no idea what Sark will do, but Texas Athletics - including football - has embraced and utilized the sports science dimension in strength and conditioning.  Matt Van Dyke worked very closely with Yancy until he left last season (I believe he is with the Texans now).  Matt Hamm replaced Van Dyke (though he wasn't as embraced as Van Dyke by the football guys). Travis Vlantes heads up the team.  He isn't as involved in football, but oversees the rest of the UT sports.

You can see a glimpse of it starting at the 40 second mark of this youtube video. 

I thought it was known.  That others would think they are "light years" ahead in this field is either a lack of awareness or they were that far behind, imo.   At one point i thought we were over doing it.   

Edited by RollLeft

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

If I am really thinking about it, I don't know that Banks is really a guy you want around Sark long term. Addiction recovery is about surrounding yourself with the right people and if he surrounds himself with a bunch of crazy asses with stripper girlfriends who snort coke on the weekends then it could be a recipe for disaster at some point. 

Maybe but he has been around him for a couple years now and he hasn't spiraled out of control just yet

19 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'll give you Colorado just because I don't know shit about them, but Kansas State had one of the better defensive lines in the conference. Hubert was unanimous all conference DE with a late 1st round / early 2nd round draft projection lined up directly across from Karic and he more than held his own. He's about as good as he's going to face in his career. And Majors may be light in the britches, but it's not like anybody in this conference is lining up 350 lb nose tackles (other than Coburn) anymore.  Teams just don't play that way in this conference.

We haven't had this kind of OL depth in forever --- Kerstetter, Karic, Majors, Angilou, Jones, Johnson, Okafor + Hookfin who was considered a starter before getting hurt.  That doesn't include guys like Reese Moore, Tope Imade and and Ghirmai who have been in the program long enough to be serviceable in mop up duty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If Sark has to be handled with kid gloves this probably isn't going to work regardless.  The coaches don't need to be his addiction support group, if they make it rain on and off the recruiting trail sign them up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

C'mon man. Banks will be out on the road recruiting and snorting blow off his wife/GF's buttcheeks with the Zach Smiths and Lane Kiffins of the world. No threat to Sarkisian.

Naw. Always 10 wins at a minimum.

On the flip side, only Karic and Majors are 2nd year in the program (that are counted on to contribute) right? Jones, Johnson, Angilau and Hookfin are now hitting the point of their expected contribution. Overall still younger than you'd like to be front line guys. And the gamebreaker at RB can make them look better and keep the defense more honest.

We may not be there yet but it certainly could be the best group in years.