Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Btw, Bo Davis worked with Golding at UTSA and gave thumbs up to Saban to interview Golding.

Before hiring or even interviewing his newest Alabama assistant coach, Nick Saban sought feedback from a former member of the Crimson Tide staff.  While Bo Davis had to leave the Crimson Tide under less than ideal circumstances, Saban maintains a relationship with his former defensive line coach and still very much respects his opinion.

Prior to meeting with Pete Golding, Saban called Davis.

The conversation only lasted about 10 minutes but Davis gave a strong endorsement of Golding, whom he worked with at University of Texas-San Antonio since February.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/01/a_former_tide_assistant_contri.html

Yeah, he's not my first choice by any means but I think Golding is the overwhelming logical favorite at this point.

10 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Y’all talking about dropping bags, but it’s clear as day that Seafood Boils are the real key to recruiting. No kids from the south are turning Texas down when they get a plate of this during a visit. 

446C4EC7-89DA-4777-BF6F-50DB549C4546.jpeg

Nm. dcar best me to it. 

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, he's not my first choice by any means but I think Golding is the overwhelming logical favorite at this point.

Wouldn't be first DC for Saban to burn thru after 3 years --Saban chews 'em up and spits them out.  Still wonder if Steele is about to end up back at BAMA -- he's been there twice before.

First time posting but the McRibs in the Urban Meyer or Bust convinced me to sign up. 

I would be surprised if it is Goulding, but I would be more surprised if the DC hasn’t already been picked given the defensive hires. It is almost like the 9.95ers have a schedule for releasing one staff name a day until the DC is announced. Keeps interest peaked.

I have a hard time seeing Bo Davis coming to the work for a DC who only has 3 years of DC experience (Arnett). I think it’s safe to assume the DC is not a rising “star”. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Isn’t Bama trying to run him off?

Saban doesn't have to 'run anyone off' - when he's through with you he disposes of you - but yes the rumor is that Golding will be gone after the title game.

His defense hasn't been as dominant as in the past - but at least a little of that has to be a result of Saban's shift in focus and philosophy to an 'offense is what is going to bring him more titles' (helped out in that thinking by Kiffin and then Sark) type of thinking.  They fell from 9th in DFEI last season to 34th this season.

Golding's resume is better than Arnett's resume at this point - and Golding has spent the last two seasons learning under Saban.

But, yeah, it would feel like an underwhelming hire at this point.

SIAP, but this 247 article is a positive indication that college is certainly a potential option for Quinn ( https://247sports.com/Article/Dan-Quinn-head-coaching-future-seeking-interviews-Auburn-Tigers-Arizona-Wildcats-Atlanta-Falcons-157071572/

Key quote Dan Quinn is "aggressively" seeking interviews for head coaching jobs with both the Auburn Tigers and Arizona Wildcats, and he has allegedly told those close to him that he wants to get back into coaching in college.

Spoiler

Report: Dan Quinn seeking interviews for college football jobs

BySTEVEN TARANTO Dec 16, 10:21 AM
  • It's been a long Autumn for Dan Quinn. After being fired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons following Week Five, Quinn has spent the majority of football season on the sidelines and looking for his next opportunity. Efforts which are about to pick up as Fall turns to Winter and a new hiring cycle begins.

According to Jason Scheer of 247Sports, Dan Quinn is "aggressively" seeking interviews for head coaching jobs with both the Auburn Tigers and Arizona Wildcats, and he has allegedly told those close to him that he wants to get back into coaching in college. Quinn, who served as head coach of the Falcons for over four seasons, has coached at the NFL level throughout the past two decades.

In pursuing head coaching opportunities at both Auburn and Arizona, Quinn would be filling the shoes of two notable names in the college football ranks. Auburn just parted ways with longtime head coach Gus Malzahn, while Arizona fired former SEC Coach of the Year Kevin Sumlin after three years with the program.

While Dan Quinn's name is very recognizable among coaches seeking new jobs, going back to coaching college ball would be quite a change for him. Quinn has not coached at the college level since 2012, when he was the defensive both the defensive coordinator and defensive line coach of the Florida Gators. Prior to his time at Florida, Quinn had been coaching at the NFL level for the better part of a decade: After coaching defensive lines at William & Mary, VMI, and Hofstra, Quinn took his first NFL job as a defensive quality control coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2001.

After his two seasons at Florida, Quinn won Super Bowl XLVIII and made it to Super Bowl XLIX as the defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks before being hired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. In Atlanta, Quinn would have a mixed tenure: He had a winning record (46-44, including 3-2 in the playoffs), but his teams were usually one extreme or another and defined by one historic failure. After going 11-5 and winning the NFC Championship Game in 2016, Quinn's Falcons were a little over a quarter away from victory in Super Bowl LI, which they led 28-3 over the New England Patriots. But they melted down in spectacular fashion, allowing New England to tie the game in the fourth quarter before losing in overtime.

After another playoff season in 2017, Quinn's Falcons teams had 4-9 and 1-7 starts in 2018 and 2018, but late-season rallies allowed them to finish 7-9 both times. After things began trending in the same direction with an 0-5 start to the 2020 season, Quinn was fired by the Falcons in October.

While openings have already become available at the college level, Quinn already has a few choices available to him should he choose to pursue another NFL head coaching job. As of Week 15, the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans are already looking for new head coaches.

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

SIAP, but this 247 article is a positive indication that college is certainly a potential option for Quinn ( https://247sports.com/Article/Dan-Quinn-head-coaching-future-seeking-interviews-Auburn-Tigers-Arizona-Wildcats-Atlanta-Falcons-157071572/

Key quote Dan Quinn is "aggressively" seeking interviews for head coaching jobs with both the Auburn Tigers and Arizona Wildcats, and he has allegedly told those close to him that he wants to get back into coaching in college.

Hide contents

Report: Dan Quinn seeking interviews for college football jobs

BySTEVEN TARANTO Dec 16, 10:21 AM
  • It's been a long Autumn for Dan Quinn. After being fired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons following Week Five, Quinn has spent the majority of football season on the sidelines and looking for his next opportunity. Efforts which are about to pick up as Fall turns to Winter and a new hiring cycle begins.

According to Jason Scheer of 247Sports, Dan Quinn is "aggressively" seeking interviews for head coaching jobs with both the Auburn Tigers and Arizona Wildcats, and he has allegedly told those close to him that he wants to get back into coaching in college. Quinn, who served as head coach of the Falcons for over four seasons, has coached at the NFL level throughout the past two decades.

In pursuing head coaching opportunities at both Auburn and Arizona, Quinn would be filling the shoes of two notable names in the college football ranks. Auburn just parted ways with longtime head coach Gus Malzahn, while Arizona fired former SEC Coach of the Year Kevin Sumlin after three years with the program.

While Dan Quinn's name is very recognizable among coaches seeking new jobs, going back to coaching college ball would be quite a change for him. Quinn has not coached at the college level since 2012, when he was the defensive both the defensive coordinator and defensive line coach of the Florida Gators. Prior to his time at Florida, Quinn had been coaching at the NFL level for the better part of a decade: After coaching defensive lines at William & Mary, VMI, and Hofstra, Quinn took his first NFL job as a defensive quality control coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2001.

After his two seasons at Florida, Quinn won Super Bowl XLVIII and made it to Super Bowl XLIX as the defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks before being hired as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. In Atlanta, Quinn would have a mixed tenure: He had a winning record (46-44, including 3-2 in the playoffs), but his teams were usually one extreme or another and defined by one historic failure. After going 11-5 and winning the NFC Championship Game in 2016, Quinn's Falcons were a little over a quarter away from victory in Super Bowl LI, which they led 28-3 over the New England Patriots. But they melted down in spectacular fashion, allowing New England to tie the game in the fourth quarter before losing in overtime.

After another playoff season in 2017, Quinn's Falcons teams had 4-9 and 1-7 starts in 2018 and 2018, but late-season rallies allowed them to finish 7-9 both times. After things began trending in the same direction with an 0-5 start to the 2020 season, Quinn was fired by the Falcons in October.

While openings have already become available at the college level, Quinn already has a few choices available to him should he choose to pursue another NFL head coaching job. As of Week 15, the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans are already looking for new head coaches.

Well he didn't get those and there aren't any decent p5 openings left right?

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Saban doesn't have to 'run anyone off' - when he's through with you he disposes of you - but yes the rumor is that Golding will be gone after the title game.

His defense hasn't been as dominant as in the past - but at least a little of that has to be a result of Saban's shift in focus and philosophy to an 'offense is what is going to bring him more titles' (helped out in that thinking by Kiffin and then Sark) type of thinking.  They fell from 9th in DFEI last season to 34th this season.

Golding's resume is better than Arnett's resume at this point - and Golding has spent the last two seasons learning under Saban.

When Texas is elite and contending on the national stage we have almost always had elite defenses. I'm with you in that grabbing a guy that is coming off of producing a pretty meh defense with what Bama has at it's disposal wouldn't be super exciting. Maybe they had a down year players-wise but Ole Miss and UF both scored easily on them. Even with Lane and Trask being part of the equation on those teams, OU remains a tier above offensively - especially with a more experienced Rattler. 

For some reason I think we get Muschamp, though. Probably just delusional wishcasting on my end. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

So Quinn did work with Davis in Miami.  Now the question becomes what's the connection to Gideon?  

Maybe Muschamp recommended him to Sark? Or Sark might've decided he wanted him on his staff regardless.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is it that underwhelming? He has strong ties in both Texas and Louisiana which is a plus for recruiting. And he was very, very good at UTSA, although Texas is obviously a different ballgame.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So Quinn did work with Davis in Miami.  Now the question becomes what's the connection to Gideon?  

Muschamp is the connection between Quinn and Gideon, though they have never worked together professionally.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Somebody made the same joke about Freeman above, but I wonder if a short term commitment could be part of the pitch for Quinn. Take $2.5mil for a season, come in and kick ass and then test the college HC market in 2022. Sark keeps in touch with Boom in the meantime with the understanding that after he sits the year out, he'll be option number one if our DC position comes open.

I realize that's some pretty ambitious daydreaming, I just gave hypothetical where we get Dan Quinn, are great enough on defense where he immediately becomes a big time college HC candidate and then turn around and hire Muschamp. Fuck it though, it's wish-casting szn.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Somebody made the same joke about Freeman above, but I wonder if a short term commitment could be part of the pitch for Quinn. Take $2.5mil for a season, come in and kick ass and then test the college HC market in 2022. Sark keeps in touch with Boom in the meantime with the understanding that after he sits the year out, he'll be option number one if our DC position comes open.

I realize that's some pretty ambitious daydreaming, I just gave hypothetical where we get Dan Quinn, are great enough on defense where he immediately becomes a big time college HC candidate and then turn around and hire Muschamp. Fuck it though, it's wish-casting szn.

Quinn for one year and then promote someone from within?

Is Will taking a year off something reported or are we just guessing? I doubt he turns down Texas to go DC somewhere else in college - but he could still be looking for another HC gig or to jump to the NFL.

Golding feels way too much like Urban Meyer dumping Tim Beck off on Tom Herman as OC. Hard pass for me. If you can't do better than the #34 or whatever defense with that talent and Saban looking over your shoulder against the worst SEC I can remember, then I'd rather roll the dice with one of the other candidates.

• Hook 'Em 8

Somebody made the same joke about Freeman above, but I wonder if a short term commitment could be part of the pitch for Quinn. Take $2.5mil for a season, come in and kick ass and then test the college HC market in 2022. Sark keeps in touch with Boom in the meantime with the understanding that after he sits the year out, he'll be option number one if our DC position comes open.   I realize that's some pretty ambitious daydreaming, I just gave hypothetical where we get Dan Quinn, are great enough on defense where he immediately becomes a big time college HC candidate and then turn around and hire Muschamp. Fuck it though, it's wish-casting szn.

Damn -- Jedi Mind Shit Going On !!!

giphy.gif

TFB

Spoiler

***As you know by now, Horns 247 is reporting that Texas will add Bo Davis as defensive line coach (heck of a hire). I had actually heard through the grapevine that Saban has been wanting to bring him back.

***The question some have asked is whether this hire signals that Sark has his guy on the defensive side. I think the answer to that is, not necessarily.

***First, Bo Davis has connections with multiple potential hires. And, Bo Davis is the kind of coach and recruiter than most any DC would want to have.

***Bo knows the Bama defense, having coached there. So, anyone tied into that program whether it be Ainsley, Lupoi, Golding, etc. would be more than fine with Bo. And, in the case of Golding, he coached with Bo at UTSA.

***Bo is also tied in to Muschamp as both are Nick guys and Muschamp was Bo’s DC at LSU in the early 2000s.

***For guys outside of the Saban system, like Zach Arnett, Bo is just too big of a hire to care. I reached out to someone close to Arnett and asked if Arnett would insist or bringing his own DL guy or if it didn’t matter. The response I received was, “it doesn’t matter”.

***I’m waiting to hear back from my source close to Marcus Freeman but again, I just don’t think it matters.

***Also, file this away under rumors but I’ve been hearing this rumor a lot lately. It’s been going around that Saban may make a change at DC at the end of the season. Nothing officially reportable. Just grapevine talk right now. If it did happen then it may change what candidates are and aren’t available to Sark.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

First time posting but the McRibs in the Urban Meyer or Bust convinced me to sign up. 

I would be surprised if it is Goulding, but I would be more surprised if the DC hasn’t already been picked given the defensive hires. It is almost like the 9.95ers have a schedule for releasing one staff name a day until the DC is announced. Keeps interest peaked.

I have a hard time seeing Bo Davis coming to the work for a DC who only has 3 years of DC experience (Arnett). I think it’s safe to assume the DC is not a rising “star”. 

I am kind of in the opposite camp tbh. I am warming to the idea of taking a young up and coming DC and pairing him with a fantastic assistant staff. I have an SEC buddy who is also a Falcons fan who is adamant that we don't want Quinn. That could just be recency bias, but Quinn makes me a bit uneasy. Plus he will likely be gone in a year with any success. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Is Will taking a year off something reported or are we just guessing? I doubt he turns down Texas to go DC somewhere else in college - but he could still be looking for another HC gig or to jump to the NFL.

I don't remember who said it, a $9.95er, certainly nothing official. But the word seems to be he doesn't want to coach this year for whatever reason (or maybe something to do with his buyout that it's better if he doesn't). Speculation that he takes an analyst job at Georgia where is son plays for a year and then entertains big time DC offers next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Golding feels way too much like Urban Meyer dumping Tim Beck off on Tom Herman as OC. Hard pass for me. If you can't do better than the #34 or whatever defense with that talent and Saban looking over your shoulder against the worst SEC I can remember, then I'd rather roll the dice with one of the other candidates.

#27 defense per FEI

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am kind of in the opposite camp tbh. I am warming to the idea of taking a young up and coming DC and pairing him with a fantastic assistant staff. I have an SEC buddy who is also a Falcons fan who is adamant that we don't want Quinn. That could just be recency bias, but Quinn makes me a bit uneasy. Plus he will likely be gone in a year with any success. 

Yep, I'm of two minds on Quinn.

I think he would bring it on the recruiting trail, he would be an adult in the room for Sark to listen to, and would be well-respected in the locker room.

I'm not sure he has the schematic chops for modern CFB.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Yep, I'm of two minds on Quinn.

I think he would bring it on the recruiting trail, he would be an adult in the room for Sark to listen to, and would be well-respected in the locker room.

I'm not sure he has the schematic chops for modern CFB.

This is my concern (that he have that).  Maybe it's overblown.

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Just imagine a world where a coordinator leaves Texas because of success though.

• Like 1