Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

49 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I hope Burton is wrong about Arnett. Just don't think he's been tested enough. San Diego st. is still highly ranked in team D after his departure.  I don't see him as a step up from Ash.  At this point if it's not Freeman, then I'd rather stay with Ash

Ash is ass dude. The defense was a complete shit show against an overmatched Colorado team. Compared to Orlando, Ash was an improvement but Texas can do better. Why would you not want the guy that gave Sarkisian's offense the biggest trouble this past season, working at a severe talent disadvantage.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Kerstetter, Cade Brewer, Josh Thompson, Keondre Coburn and Roschon Johnson helped organize a players-only meeting on Monday - following the dismissal of Tom Herman and the hiring of Steve Sarkisian - to rally the rest of the team to stay focused, stay positive and to keep working out until the new staff arrives.

This level of leadership is extremely encouraging.

back to banks. as others have said. if we are considering banks and the baggage associated with him, then Texas decision makers have made paradigm shifting decision to say fuck it, we're going to win and damned everything else. if we're hiring banks, then here's to hoping we have an atm machine which spits out 100s for recruiting visits.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

He was Champs DC in Florida for his first two seasons. How were those defenses? 

He helped create the legion of boom and helped get the Falcons to a super bowl. Would be crazy to think he just fell off a cliff. 

That 11-2 team his second year was extremely hard to watch as a Gator fan.  A lot like our 2009 team, they leaned on a stout D to win them games.  It fell apart after that because the offense always sucked, and you can't be the Gator coach if you can't score points.  The fan base won't tolerate it.

Cracks started showing against Louisiana and Jacksonville State (!!!!) late that year.  Bowl game against Chuck was the beginning of the end for Boom.

A&M against Johnny Football was extremely impressive.

image.png.4ea7c699fa1f0a9e12c604e022073afc.png

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I hope Burton is wrong about Arnett. Just don't think he's been tested enough. San Diego st. is still highly ranked in team D after his departure.  I don't see him as a step up from Ash.  At this point if it's not Freeman, then I'd rather stay with Ash

Maybe because Brady Hoke is still there? While obviously not a good HC for Michigan, he seems to thrive at SDSU.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Looking up his salary....for a NFL head coach he was paid fairly low.

4.5 million in 2021.

The highest paid defensive coordinator in the NFL according to a google search is Raven's DC at 3.25 million a year.

We'd probalby offer 2.5-3 million range I'd assume.

Quinn was under contract until 2022 with the Falcons. Maybe we save a little money with mitigation from Atlanta.

Give me Freeman or Quinn, based on what little I know about the direction of the search. The above note about Freeman adapting to spread offenses and using multiple fronts to address different offensive styles (from the run-heavy service academies to wide-open spreads) is encouraging. I think that guy has a phenomenal future, and I'd like him to live it in Austin. As for Quinn, if he's eager to get back into college coaching, I could see him as a really solid fit. The guy knows defensive football and probably would kill it in Austin. Of course, your mileage may vary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Reposting it because it is ridiculous

Robinson played in only nine of 10 games this season with 86 carries for 703 yards, producing a school-record 8.2 yards per carry, with four touchdowns. Robinson also caught 15 passes for 196 yards and two TDs.

Also - the Dan Quinn hire would be gruntling.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

back to banks. as others have said. if we are considering banks and the baggage associated with him, then Texas decision makers have made paradigm shifting decision to say fuck it, we're going to win and damned everything else. if we're hiring banks, then here's to hoping we have an atm machine which spits out 100s for recruiting visits.

Thank god if so. It doesn't matter what we do, media will shit on us regardless. Might as well embrace the role and do what it takes to win!

Only issue I have with Freeman or Quinn IMO is them wanting to be a HC in the next two years. Arnett could give us 3-4. That of course is a small ass concern because we are winning a lot of ball games if they are putting themselves in that position. So really I am good with anyone on those lists except for Golding and Sirmon (and Lupoi if he is the primary play caller)

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

That 11-2 team his second year was extremely hard to watch as a Gator fan.  A lot like our 2009 team, they leaned on a stout D to win them games.  It fell apart after that because the offense always sucked, and you can't be the Gator coach if you can't score points.  The fan base won't tolerate it.

image.png.4ea7c699fa1f0a9e12c604e022073afc.png

That aggy team scored 45 points a game. Been saying it for a few days but Quinn is option 1 if realistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Herman was a known asshole - not shocking folks wanted nothing to do with being around him.

He has to be the least "loved" Texas Coach in the last 40 years, right?

IIRC, players loved Akers. No clue about McWilliams. I thought players loved Mackovic but not for sure. Obv players loved Mack and Charlie.

At least one or two T&F members loved Bev Kearney. A lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Thing I like about a established guy like Quinn is his ability to hire top assistants. I would think being a former NFL HC and DC will have more positions coaches across the country listening to our pitch. 

Huge if true.  We need a light years better upgrade at db coach.  We haven't been able to play press or zone for years.  Other than that they are great.

It seems like the Name, Image and Likeness changes coming down the road probably change the whole game anyway and put everything above board therefore I'm thinking certain hires might not have the same risk as before to UT's sterling reputation.

NCAA Link

If adopted, the measures would:

• Allow student-athletes to use their name, image and likeness to promote camps and clinics, private lessons, their own products and services, and commercial products or services.
  • Allow student-athletes to be paid for their autographs and personal appearances.
  • Allow student-athletes to crowdfund for nonprofits or charitable organizations, catastrophic events and family hardships, as well as for educational expenses not covered by cost of attendance.
  • Allow student-athletes the opportunity to use professional advice and marketing assistance regarding name, image and likeness activities, as well as professional representation in contract negotiations related to name, image and likeness activities, with some restrictions.
  • Prohibit schools from being involved in the development, operation or promotion of a student-athlete’s business activity, unless the activity is developed as part of a student’s coursework or academic program.
  • Prohibit schools from arranging or securing endorsement opportunities for student-athletes.

Student-athletes would not be permitted to use their school’s marks in any advertisements, endorsements, personal appearances or promotions. Additionally, they could not participate in activities involving a commercial product or service that conflicts with NCAA legislation (such as sports wagering or banned substances), and schools would have the opportunity to prohibit activities that conflict with school values or existing sponsorship arrangements. The school would be required to disclose activities that would be prohibited at the time a student is admitted or signs a financial aid agreement.

Edited by burdine

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Only issue I have with Freeman or Quinn IMO is them wanting to be a HC in the next two years. Arnett could give us 3-4. That of course is a small ass concern because we are winning a lot of ball games if they are putting themselves in that position. So really I am good with anyone on those lists except for Golding and Sirmon (and Lupoi if he is the primary play caller)

I am 100% ok with Freeman if we get him, he kills it here for 2 years and wins a ton of games and then he becomes a head coach somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

I am 100% ok with Freeman if we get him, he kills it here for 2 years and wins a ton of games and then he becomes a head coach somewhere.

to be honest i'd be happy if we become the school that gets coaches poached for head coaching positions. That means we are doing something right 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry mentioned Bryant Young as a DL coach candidate if Quinn is the guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryant_Young

Interesting. Is a semi-finalist for the NFL HOF, was on the All Decade team. Coached with Quinn at both Florida and Atlanta, after taking a 3 year break to spend time with his family.

The Muschamp tree is still being well represented here. Likely Will and Sarkisian had a very long and good conversation about who to look at.

DC/DL - Quinn

DL - Bryant/Lupoi

LB - Hutzler

CB - Raymond

S/ST - Gideon

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know how realistic that is - Young has 'retired' a couple of times to spend more time with his family.  Maybe he comes for a year because he is bored at home - but he doesn't seem like a serious option - and certainly not a recruiter.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting. Is a semi-finalist for the NFL HOF, was on the All Decade team. Coached with Quinn at both Florida and Atlanta, after taking a 3 year break to spend time with his family.

The Muschamp tree is still being well represented here. Likely Will and Sarkisian had a very long and good conversation about who to look at.

DC/DL - Quinn

DL - Bryant/Lupoi

LB - Hutzler

CB - Raymond

S/ST - Gideon

That would be a salty staff. 

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Light on the coaching career...

Career information
High school: Chicago Heights (IL) Bloom
College: Notre Dame
NFL Draft: 1994 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7
Career history
As player:
As coach:
Career highlights and awards

19 minutes ago, burdine said:

It seems like the Name, Image and Likeness changes coming down the road probably change the whole game anyway and put everything above board therefore I'm thinking certain hires might not have the same risk as before to UT's sterling reputation.

NCAA Link

If adopted, the measures would:

• Allow student-athletes to use their name, image and likeness to promote camps and clinics, private lessons, their own products and services, and commercial products or services.
  • Allow student-athletes to be paid for their autographs and personal appearances.
  • Allow student-athletes to crowdfund for nonprofits or charitable organizations, catastrophic events and family hardships, as well as for educational expenses not covered by cost of attendance.
  • Allow student-athletes the opportunity to use professional advice and marketing assistance regarding name, image and likeness activities, as well as professional representation in contract negotiations related to name, image and likeness activities, with some restrictions.
  • Prohibit schools from being involved in the development, operation or promotion of a student-athlete’s business activity, unless the activity is developed as part of a student’s coursework or academic program.
  • Prohibit schools from arranging or securing endorsement opportunities for student-athletes.

Student-athletes would not be permitted to use their school’s marks in any advertisements, endorsements, personal appearances or promotions. Additionally, they could not participate in activities involving a commercial product or service that conflicts with NCAA legislation (such as sports wagering or banned substances), and schools would have the opportunity to prohibit activities that conflict with school values or existing sponsorship arrangements. The school would be required to disclose activities that would be prohibited at the time a student is admitted or signs a financial aid agreement.

This is very interesting, and I know it’s been said 1000x but UT would have a large advantage over pretty much any other school. Wouldn’t mind getting top notch bagmen recruiters but their influence is definitely going to be minimized.

Edited by Fug
Autocorrect

22 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

That aggy team scored 45 points a game. Been saying it for a few days but Quinn is option 1 if realistic. 

I edited my comment to point that out actually.  That was a helluva game.

43 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I am assuming your reference to 3-3-5 is really a reference to the modern 3-2-6/Tite Front.  Almost no one runs the old 3-3-5 stack these days, other than Gibson, who was at WVU for several years.  But Bama has been a leading adopter of the Tite front defense, after Heacock rolled it out at Iowa State a few years back.  I am sure Sark has been in conversations with Saban about how and why it is an effective way to defend modern offensive attacks.  Aranda used it at LSU and had good results with it, too.  And Sark has seen Bama have success with it in the SEC and throughout the playoffs for the last two years.  Why wouldn't Sark want to run the same defense Saban is running?

I understand systematically it's a little different, but the 3-2-6 is kind of just playing nickel. One of the LBs is a fast DE, one of the DBs is a fast LB. 

I was liking how Ash's 4 DL every play were working to get pressure. I get that there's the quick game where this is countered, but it seems like having 4 guys focused on dominating the LOS every play is pretty sweet. 4 DL, 2 fast linebackers that can cover, or maybe just 1 if they trot out 4 WRs.

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Light on the coaching career...

Career information
High school: Chicago Heights (IL) Bloom
College: Notre Dame
NFL Draft: 1994 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7
Career history
As player:
As coach:
Career highlights and awards

Don't know what kind of coach he is, but dude was a badass at San Fran.

Edited by hobbs

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry:

Reveal hidden contents

Had a concrete source just tell me Dan Quinn would have interest in being a DC in the college game again.

He will very likely have NFL DC opportunities too, though.

He's not nearly ready to retire.

Quinn is 50, of course he isn't going to retire!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but Kerstetter coming back and moving back to tackle is huge for this offensive line. Look at what Flood is inheriting there vs. Warehime or Wickline. 2021 should be the best offensive line Texas has fielded since 2006 and that was before adding competent coaching and cohesive scheme fit. Herman had to go but he sure as shit left Texas in a much better place than he found it.

I hope all the $ Texas can spend on Kerstetter is spent and it works, if anyone deserves it, it's him. 

2 minutes ago, Fug said:

This is very interesting, and I know it’s been said 1000x but UT would have a large advantage over pretty much any other school. Wouldn’t mind getting top knit hair bagmen recruiters but their influence is definitely going to be minimized.

It's also going the hasten further consolidation/stratification of divisions.  There will be about 20 or 30 teams whose alumni can just hire the entire starting 22 to do car commercials or whatever for 10k a pop.  You will have the best college players making 6 and probably eventually 7 figures above the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

DC/DL - Quinn

DL - Bryant/Lupoi

LB - Hutzler

CB - Raymond

S/ST - Gideon

Show me a loss! Good coaching that puts some kids in position to take home some hardware and a shot at the nfl is what we need right now. The recruiting will turn into a machine all on its own once we start to win. Oh and fuck my username before anybody takes a shot haha!! 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's also going the hasten further consolidation/stratification of divisions.  There will be about 20 or 30 teams whose alumni can just hire the entire starting 22 to do car commercials or whatever for 10k a pop.  You will have the best college players making 6 and probably eventually 7 figures above the table.

As Tom moves on to doing cheap commercials for Turtle Wax. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The best D scheme is the one that has the fastest and best athletes on the field.  Get the guys who can recruit to your other guys who can coach/position them on the field.  

funny how this is also the concept for the best Special Teams

I just think the Likeness changes are going to really change the recruiting game away from bagmen and that UT should do well in the new environment with our natural advantages and big media markets in the State of Texas.  So I think that might change how we think of some hires.

10 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The best D scheme is the one that has the fastest and best athletes on the field.  Get the guys who can recruit to your other guys who can coach/position them on the field.  

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

So fast they can blitz from 15 yards out?

This fast

Teddy Lehman Wins Bednarik Award - University of Oklahoma

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3