Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I get we are going to do it but can he just shut up about it? christ on a cracker.

Texas media and 995ers are in for a world of hurt.  They're going to be put in a position where they either stfu or directly harm the university far more than ever before.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I feel the same, but I also wonder whether my reaction is just reflexive stereotyping (long time in the NFL, can he keep up with the craziness of modern college offenses?), or whether that has actually proven to be true.

Any recent examples come to mind?

Gerg?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Octavian said:

This reads "I want a raise" :(

Would definitely be A M A Z I N G if he came though

I'm tired of this trope. How did Mullen's raise work out? 

Not that it doesn't happen but I would think that LSU would not be dumb enough to fall for that again....or would they?

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

With Flood, can we say without a doubt this is a better coaching staff than Herm or Charlie?  If so how much better?  Like waaaay better, like the staff difference alone should account for 1 or 2 additional victories?  I wasn’t paying attention in 98.  How does this staff compare to Mack’s staff?  

Look at it this way.

Sarkisian is regarded as an offensive genius and superb play caller. (that is better than what we just had with Yurchich and Herman)

Flood is widely considered one of the best o line coaches in the country. (Hand....really?)

Gideon, is a bright up and comer, but young and full of enthusiasm. (Jay Boulware was a toad)

Bo Davis, at minimum, is a coaching equal to Giles, but runs circles around his lazy ass on the recruiting trail.

In my opinion, if he stops hiring, his staff would still be light years ahead of Herman or Charlie, and on par or better than Mack's as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

My favorite assistant target but this screams agent pushing for a raise..

That whole staff will be gone in a year due to the minimal success and the rapes they let happen. He can get out a year early and avoid the mess by leaving now

• Like 1

My favorite assistant target but this screams agent pushing for a raise..
I agree, but the only thing that makes it not a pipe dream is the shit show happening at lsu right now. It has to be the most dramatic collapse of a program following a nc in history.

You'd have to think anyone on that staff would at least have a conversation at this point.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m with you. I think if you read further in the thread you’ll see where that is clarified. 

Yup. Noted. 

And this, my friends, is why “multi/tasking” (In this case trying to keep up with the going’s on of TX Football and that annoying thing called “work”) is NOT always a proficient way to go about things. 
Bottom Line - Shit gets missed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Also does Raymond want to work under a guy like Freeman or Arnett? 

I can not imagine the feasibility of trying to recruit over a guy like Raymond without a DC already hired. Raymond could go anywhere why would he risk going to Texas with an uncertain DC?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hobbes said:

I can not imagine the feasibility of trying to recruit over a guy like Raymond without a DC already hired. Raymond could go anywhere why would he risk going to Texas with an uncertain DC?

Could this be a situation where he get the Co-DC tag with someone like Arnett? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Bobby's talk of splitting S&C into separate jobs held by separate guys strikes me as a solid move. I mean, as long as S isn't Lex Luger and C isn't Lance Armstrong.

you wouldn't want the best of all time at covering up "illegal" stuff?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexasFan21 said:

Could this be a situation where he get the Co-DC tag with someone like Arnett? 

You’re on to something important. Guys like Lupoi and probably Raymond are not coming, should they come, without significant title inflation and the commensurate salaries. So, maybe that is what needs to be sorted with the actually-playcalling DC, the admin, Sarkisian and the candidates. The guys already announced wouldn’t be as relevant in that regard. If you’re keeping Hutzler and bringing on Gideon and Davis, all 3 are less complicated hires than some of the other names considered for roles. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The mere fact that there is a legitimate coaching search involving some of the best coaches out there tells me this is a completely different approach than Strong and Herman’s initial staff. 

Estes. 

13 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

Gerg?

Gerg is a far more mature and polished version of Chris Ash. Simple scheme with a heavy focus on sound fundamentals that allows superior athletes to play fast. If only he was younger.

I find it funny (and sad) that Charlie Strong didn’t want to keep him because he brought fucking Vance Be_for_ with him...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The mere fact that there is a legitimate coaching search involving some of the best coaches out there tells me this is a completely different approach than Strong and Herman’s initial staff. 

As I've said many times, I was super excited about Tom until I heard that Warehime, Meekins, Washington, etc got off the plane with him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You’re on to something important. Guys like Lupoi and probably Raymond are not coming, should they come, without significant title inflation and the commensurate salaries. So, maybe that is what needs to be sorted with the actually-playcalling DC, the admin, Sarkisian and the candidates. The guys already announced wouldn’t be as relevant in that regard. If you’re keeping Hutzler and bringing on Gideon and Davis, all 3 are less complicated hires than some of the other names considered for roles. 

Just make up some new names.

"Minister of BDE"

"Ultra Assistant Associate Head Coach"

"McRib Chancellor"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

As I've said many times, I was super excited about Tom until I heard that Warehime, Meekins, Washington, etc got off the plane with him.

I was super disappointed with Sark until I saw the names rumored to be on the staff. I dun goofed. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Exactly. The FootballScoop article mentioned "Sources tell FootballScoop that Sark has made a very strong offer to bring LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond to Texas." This implies we are either throwing money around $1M mark or money + title elevation) 

I am surprised he only made $575K in 2020. Seems like Texas could throw $900K-$1M to him and it would be a no brainer. Gets out of an uncertain situation and it paired with a new, legit staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's a Pete Carroll DC thing. Most of his coaching tree are currently failing or stagnant as DCs, with the notable exception of Robert Saleh, who's in line for an NFL HC job.

Their Cover 3 scheme is very basic and only works with an elite pass rush.  Even Saleh’s gotten chewed up in games where he has a lot of DL injuries. The Seahawks defense was horrible early this year but has come around more since they added Dunlap and their pass rush has improved. Probably wouldn’t be great for us since we’re losing our best pass rusher and don’t have someone to replace him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If you want an idea of what the top defensive assistants (who don't call plays) make, Larry Johnson and Greg Mattison make $1.1M at Ohio State.

not even kidding, i would offer Larry Johnson $1.5m in a heartbeat

• Hook 'Em 1

Put it on a grade scale.  I am putting Herms staff at D.

SS staff will be A? A-?

Grade of A bumps us 2 wins more than I predicted.  Without an A staff, I have us at 7-5.  With A staff, I have us at 9-3. Then, if SS keeps the staff humming in 22, I have us 10-2, in B12 CC game, and winning NY6 bowl.  Then repeat process in 23, go 11-1, in playoffs, and anything can happen.  

11 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Exactly. The FootballScoop article mentioned "Sources tell FootballScoop that Sark has made a very strong offer to bring LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond to Texas." This implies we are either throwing money around $1M mark or money + title elevation) 

I am surprised he only made $575K in 2020. Seems like Texas could throw $900K-$1M to him and it would be a no brainer. Gets out of an uncertain situation and it paired with a new, legit staff.

It would be awesome to bring in Raymond for CB. Let Gideon have S, throw a Co-DC tag on Raymond, and let him spearhead recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Bring in a more X's and O's guy as the play calling DC.

Near criminal for Raymond to be making less thank 800k a year given today's salaries.

Edited by Hobbes
Sentence ran on for ever I got excited
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, orangecat92 said:

SS staff will be A? A-?

Grade of A bumps us 2 wins more than I predicted.  Without an A staff, I have us at 7-5.  With A staff, I have us at 9-3. Then, if SS keeps the staff humming in 22, I have us 10-2, in B12 CC game, and winning NY6 bowl.  Then repeat process in 23, go 11-1, in playoffs, and anything can happen.  

he isn't an A without a "rainmaker", which isn't the case currently.

that can change, but an A- with this staff is quite good. upgrades at mostly every position? that's a win in my book.

2 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

It would be awesome to bring in Raymond for CB and let Gideon have S and throw a Co-DC tag on Raymond and let him spearhead recruiting on the defensive side of the ball and bringing in a more X's and O's guy as the play calling DC.

Near criminal for Raymond to be making less thank 800k a year given today's salaries.

I would rather have Tosh as Co-DC, throw Raymond an extra $100k and call it a day

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

SS staff will be A? A-?

need to see the DC hire and a true rainmaker/bagman/volume recruiter.