Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

Road-tripping to Pigville in the SWC days was a hoot. That is, if you like slashed tires and gas stations that didn't want to sell to anyone with Texas license plates. Eddie Sutton only made it that much worse. But hey, enough about those vermin. Let's focus on us.

I sense Muschamp is a pipe dream for 2021 (maybe beyond) but that Raymond is actually in play for a change. Bringing him aboard would be outstanding, no matter who the DC ends up being. Even if our offense improves, I'm not sure we can dominate the B12 without a witch who can really recruit and coach corners.  

My Dad and his cousin reported the same behavior from the middle-60s onward, especially not being able to buy gas in AR-kansas if you had Texas plates, especially after Texas wins in both Pigville and LR.

6 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

at Baylor

at Iowa State

at TCU

Back to back to back.  Three straight road games???  When is the last time we had three straight road games??

Also, I have been advised by the good people on this site that there is a burnt orange conspiracy that gives us all kinds of unfair advantages.  LHN, * ratings bumps for recruits, preferential officiating,  and best of all preferred scheduling.  Can someone please let me know when I can expect these advantages to kick in?

Calm down. Maybe have some coffee. 

Do you really think we're playing OU as our 6th conference game? That's not how that works.

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the game there in 2004. Folks were as nice as could be and it was a beautiful place to watch a football game.

Weird - me and my two friends had full bottles of beer thrown at us from Frat Houses on the way to the stadium while multiple goobers tried instigating fights. All before we got to our seats. Fuck that place and their redneck fans

• Hook 'Em 2

at Baylor
at Iowa State
at TCU
Back to back to back.  Three straight road games???  When is the last time we had three straight road games??
Also, I have been advised by the good people on this site that there is a burnt orange conspiracy that gives us all kinds of unfair advantages.  LHN, * ratings bumps for recruits, preferential officiating,  and best of all preferred scheduling.  Can someone please let me know when I can expect these advantages to kick in?

What does “Date TBA” mean to you?

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

We do have a rising Collins to go with massive upperclassmen in Coburn and Sweat. I feel pretty good about our pass rush if we get someone like Prince Dorbah to make his way to the edge. 

All three of those guys are better against the run than the pass and we don’t have a clear threat off the edge other than hoping Dorbah develops quickly or Bimage comes on. We also have very limited depth. Guys like GSW and Broughton are not good right now. Unless Collins becomes a Bosa/JJ Watt Type next year, our pass rush will take a definite step back and would struggle with a Carroll Civer 3-style scheme. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

All three of those guys are better against the run than the pass and we don’t have a clear threat off the edge other than hoping Dorbah develops quickly or Bimage comes on. We also have very limited depth. Guys like GSW and Broughton are not good right now. Unless Collins becomes a Bosa/JJ Watt Type next year, our pass rush will take a definite step back and would struggle with a Carroll Civer 3-style scheme. 

well there is also Ja'Tavion Sanders

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wasn't Alfred playing off the edge in the Alamo Bowl on that one-handed INT? I remember his trainer (think he has the same one as Omenihu) saying on a podcast that he could keep his massive weight/frame and stay on the edge because he's just freakishly athletic. If he slimmed down a tad or actually just pulled it off, that would definitely be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jan 12 2019 - LSU DB Coach Corey Raymond to interview for same position at Georgia
Jan 14 2019 - LSU DB coach Corey Raymond expected to stay at LSU after taking interview with UGA
Jan 19 2020 - LSU defensive backs coach Corey Raymond has turned down a job offer from Texas A&M
Jan 20 2020 - LSU DB coach Corey Raymond agrees to contract extension, per sources
Every. Single. Year. The man is not leaving LSU.

What a odd way tell us that you have a tiny penis...
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I mean so far I don't think anyone can complain about Sarks hires, but I expect Surly to try

unless we close with Flood, Raymond, Quinn/Boom, Lupoi this will be graded C- by Surly.  Good luck coach, welcome to Texas!

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

well there is also Ja'Tavion Sanders

Credit to RGBIII for posting on the recruiting board:

73E36AC5-8DA9-452D-9356-3DA5FA25595A.png

We will see, seems like his impact would be maximized as a terror off the edge IMO. Especially his first year, I'm still pretty bullish on how good Wiley can be.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Credit to RGBIII for posting on the recruiting board:

73E36AC5-8DA9-452D-9356-3DA5FA25595A.png

We will see, seems like his impact would be maximized as a terror off the edge IMO. Especially his first year, I'm still pretty bullish on how good Wiley can be.

Nah, dude is too talented of a pass catcher to waste away on defense. He has a much brighter future at TE and could imo be a top 15 pick at that position.  In this day and age of offense put your best athletes there imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TFB

Spoiler

***Football Scoop is reporting the coach Sarkisian is working on bringing LSU CB coach, Corey Raymond to Texas.

I think we addressed this the other day but we had heard this but also know that Corey often has suitors this time of year and nothing typically comes of it. However, given some of the issues behind the scenes at LSU perhaps this time will be different.

If he did take the Texas job, rumor is he might even be able to bring a corner or two with him to Texas. Behind the scenes we’ve heard Elias Ricks is looking at leaving.

***Also, starting to hear that coach Ash may be set to take the safeties job opening at Florida. Would assume if he went he’d be safeties coach and co-DC running the back end. However, with Mullen looking for a NFL job, I assume this isn’t necessarily a done deal.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

***Football Scoop is reporting the coach Sarkisian is working on bringing LSU CB coach, Corey Raymond to Texas.

I think we addressed this the other day but we had heard this but also know that Corey often has suitors this time of year and nothing typically comes of it. However, given some of the issues behind the scenes at LSU perhaps this time will be different.

If he did take the Texas job, rumor is he might even be able to bring a corner or two with him to Texas. Behind the scenes we’ve heard Elias Ricks is looking at leaving.

***Also, starting to hear that coach Ash may be set to take the safeties job opening at Florida. Would assume if he went he’d be safeties coach and co-DC running the back end. However, with Mullen looking for a NFL job, I assume this isn’t necessarily a done deal.

Gerry I believe literally said that part about bringing a player with him earlier this week or end of last week can’t recall. But interesting they have heard the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

😲

I thought initial rumor I dismissed was Stingley. Now I have to pretend I'm not imagining Stingley and Ricks heading west?

Edited by TommyGufano

33 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Road-tripping to Pigville in the SWC days was a hoot. That is, if you like slashed tires and gas stations that didn't want to sell to anyone with Texas license plates. Eddie Sutton only made it that much worse. But hey, enough about those vermin. Let's focus on us.

I sense Muschamp is a pipe dream for 2021 (maybe beyond) but that Raymond is actually in play for a change. Bringing him aboard would be outstanding, no matter who the DC ends up being. Even if our offense improves, I'm not sure we can dominate the B12 without a witch who can really recruit and coach corners.  

Gut, Eddie was a piece of crap. I won't go into it but he did something that to my knowledge no coach has ever done to a visiting team. It was beyond disgusting.

Barnhill sucked.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry I believe literally said that part about bringing a player with him earlier this week or end of last week can’t recall. But interesting they have heard the same thing. 

Bag for Raymond. Bag for Ricks. Large Bag for Stingley...who says no?

8 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

😲

I thought initial rumor I dismissed was Stingley. Now I have to pretend I'm not imagining Stingley and Ricks heading west?

There would be a cajun Navy blockade at the border to keep Stingley from leaving

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Gut, Eddie was a piece of crap. I won't go into it but he did something that to my knowledge no coach has ever done to a visiting team. It was beyond disgusting.

Barnhill sucked.

You have to go into detail, this is Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

heard something funny about Boulware from someone who was a staff member for Herman.  He was hired and paid way more than his worth so we could get intel on Lincoln Riley's offense and what kid of defenses make him uncomfortable.  So the first day he was in meetings and they put him on the whiteboard.  And it was clear within two minutes he had no fucking clue what he was doing.  So they stopped asking.

Riley had to have been laughing his ass off when Boulware left.  So transparent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Riley had to have been laughing his ass off when Boulware left.  So transparent.

Yeah, if Mensa was Mensa he should have paid whatever was necessary for OU's offensive line coach. He would have won that game, been in the CCG and still have a job.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, Herman's first staff was a D at best. Watson made the entire Strong era an F. If Strong had done that one thing different and actually hired an OC worth a fuck, he would have probably been here for 5 years. Not saying any longer, but an OC worth a fuck probably buys him a couple of wins in each of the first few years. It's an alternative history worth 5 minutes of thought, but I stopped there.

The whole "it's billionaires wanting to coach the football team" trope about Texas from the uninformed never gets old. The billionaires have better shit to do. They'd like to see a winner just like the rest of us, and there's no fucking harm in having a bunch of them compared to poors like programs in shitholes like Starkville. Frankly, it is impossible for any reasonably informed college football fan to review the original Strong and Herman staffs and make a credible argument that either one was "impressive." Right.

I have a BIL that went to Arkansas and lives up that way. I can go months without hearing from him, and then something happens for the better at Arkansas or just generally with Texas, and I'm getting texted a bunch of questions and thoughts. I never hardly notice when something happens at Arkansas, and would never care enough to reach for my phone to text about it. That said, my wife and I are headed to the game this year and going with his ass and tailgating with the pigs. I've always been told that Fayetteville is a pretty place. I guess we'll see.

In 2004, went with a (then) recent UT grad and tailgated with one of his buddies/fraternity bros from Texas who was engaged to a Texas grad whose family were huge Arkansas boosters/grads. We were severely outnumbered and got lots of terrible looks and a few barbs thrown our way, but her family were gracious hosts and fed us well (BBQ pork ribs!).

At the time, I had a buddy on the Texas staff, so we waited to see him after the game with players’ parents. Ended up walking VY’s momma back to where we had all parked near the baseball field, a long dark walk. Got lots of fingers shot at us and lots of ugly things said to us.

Fayetteville IS a beautiful place and that is one of my favorite road trips ever. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

heard something funny about Boulware from someone who was a staff member for Herman.  He was hired and paid way more than his worth so we could get intel on Lincoln Riley's offense and what kid of defenses make him uncomfortable.  So the first day he was in meetings and they put him on the whiteboard.  And it was clear within two minutes he had no fucking clue what he was doing.  So they stopped asking.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Did Boulware look something like Tom on the cover of Texas Monthly being a “Mastermind”?  What an asshole.