Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Chip saying keep an eye out on Dennis Simmons from OU for WR coach. Apparently played with Sark a long time ago......

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Quick scan of his bio says he's worked with Riley since Texas Tech, followed him to East Carolina and then to Oklahoma.

Feels like Dennis wants a raise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Think the offense is going to be great. Think I’d prefer stability on defense. I’m for Ash or Quinn at this point.

Why Ash? Quinn would likely be a 1 year mercenary.

I honestly think that having the initial staff be long term options is the ideal route. By long term I mean 3-4 years and if they leave then we hope they are leaving for head coaching positions.

I think Arnett has the potential to be a far better coach than Ash. He just needs to be surrounded by the right positional coaches. But that can be said for any defensive coordinator. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why Ash? Quinn would likely be a 1 year mercenary.

10 years of being beaten down has made me a little gun shy on the hot new name. Our defense showed marked improvement this last year. I’m OK with taking a shot at positions coaches or assistance with young talent but I want some stability on the coordinator position. I don’t get the feeling that Quinn would be a one year mercenary, but if he is that’s fine. Then we hire Muschamp after his one year breather......maybe that already the plan. 

Edited by Daichee Bell

2 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

10 years of being beaten down has made me a little gun shy on the hot new name. Our defense showed marked improvement this last year. I’m OK with taking a shot at positions coaches or assistance with young talent but I want some stability on the coordinator position. I don’t get the feeling that Quinn would be a one year mercenary, but if he is that’s fine. Then we hire Muschamp leaves......maybe that already the plan. 

Rocky Long protégé. 

I agree with the Ash or Quinn options.  Sark hasn't fared well as a head coach as it is, I'm sure he has learned a lot since over the last 5 years, but having an experienced former HC as a DC seems like a better setup for Sark than an up and coming DC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dennis Simmons is beginning to surface as a possible option as a wide receivers coach. He was teammates with Steve Sarkisian at BYU.

Nick Saban has tried on two difference occasions to hire him away, but Simmons has stayed with Riley and Oklahoma.

Simmons has coached with and under Lincoln Riley for over a decade at this point.

To this point, it's been considered highly unlikely Simmons would leave Oklahoma.

if you are Sarkisian, it's worth the effort. Simmons has been one of the best wide receiver recruiters in the CFB the last few years. He has long standing relationships with Texas high school coaches, is a volume recruiter outside of his position and is very good friends with influential position instructors in the state.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No, his oft-injured ass shit-talked Texas and attempted to recruit UT commits in a UT commit text string to Bama as he talked up the SEC. He can fuck off too. I hope the players flame out and have to go play for daddy at SMU to finish their two shitty careers as eventual non-entities. 

nevermind

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Dennis Simmons is beginning to surface as a possible option as a wide receivers coach. He was teammates with Steve Sarkisian at BYU.

Nick Saban has tried on two difference occasions to hire him away, but Simmons has stayed with Riley and Oklahoma.

Simmons has coached with and under Lincoln Riley for over a decade at this point.

To this point, it's been considered highly unlikely Simmons would leave Oklahoma.

if you are Sarkisian, it's worth the effort. Simmons has been one of the best wide receiver recruiters in the CFB the last few years. He has long standing relationships with Texas high school coaches, is a volume recruiter outside of his position and is very good friends with influential position instructors in the state.

He has one hell of a list of all time recruits.

11 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Has there been any word on why Saban wants to part ways with Golding?

No one even knows if he does. Their fans just want to try to will it into existence because they played some actual offenses this year and gave up some points, which shocks them. Saban is heavily involved in that of the ball so it’s funny to see them cast blame on the DC.

Edited by Hookem2147

23 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Think the offense is going to be great. Think I’d prefer stability on defense. I’m for Ash or Quinn at this point.

Same. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Ash would have the craptastic sophomore slump like Manny Diaz and Vance Bedford.

And I’d be perfectly fine with Quinn, an experienced DC at the college and NFL levels.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No one even knows if he does. Their fans just want to try to will it into existence because they played some actual offenses this year and gave up some points, which shocks them. Saban is heavily involved in that of the ball so it’s funny to see them cast blame on the DC.

Whenever you have an elite offense, the defense gives up more points.  Just the nature of football..

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

No. That's not a discussion. That's you posting when a hire is confirmed.

I mean it would be nice to have a thread that actually stayed on topic. At the beginning of this thread you and the other mods made it very clear that this thread should only be about coaching hires. But now you're crossing your fingers that this will turn into another Urban Meyer or bust thread, which I know was a lot of fun for you and a lot of other posters, but for many of the rest of us it was a fucking slog to check in after 8 hours to find 3,000 posts about curtains and bbq, and day shift/night crew/BDE and a myriad of other jerkoffery. 

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a thread that stays on topic. But I know that's asking too much. So I'm just gonna petulantly bitch about it this one time and then shut the fuck up.

This thread was rolling along pretty well until this...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean it would be nice to have a thread that actually stayed on topic. At the beginning of this thread you and the other mods made it very clear that this thread should only be about coaching hires. But now you're crossing your fingers that this will turn into another Urban Meyer or bust thread, which I know was a lot of fun for you and a lot of other posters, but for many of the rest of us it was a fucking slog to check in after 8 hours to find 3,000 posts about curtains and bbq, and day shift/night crew/BDE and a myriad of other pointless bullshit. 

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a thread that stays on topic. But I know that's asking too much. So I'm just gonna petulantly bitch about it this one time and then shut the fuck up.

You actually thought that the Urban Meyer or Bust thread was going to be about Urban coming to UT?

comedy-club.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I mean it would be nice to have a thread that actually stayed on topic. At the beginning of this thread you and the other mods made it very clear that this thread should only be about coaching hires. But now you're crossing your fingers that this will turn into another Urban Meyer or bust thread, which I know was a lot of fun for you and a lot of other posters, but for many of the rest of us it was a fucking slog to check in after 8 hours to find 3,000 posts about curtains and bbq, and day shift/night crew/BDE and a myriad of other pointless bullshit. 

I’m with this guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is going to be great just to watch the OU douches get stirred up over it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It was definitely about the Bust. And sometimes the busts. And McRibs...

It was more like the classic Robert Earl Keen song Front Porch. That thread symbolized everything that is great about this site, and everything that is wrong with this site in only 900+ short pages.

• Like 1