Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

56 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

No. That's not a discussion. That's you posting when a hire is confirmed.

I mean it would be nice to have a thread that actually stayed on topic. At the beginning of this thread you and the other mods made it very clear that this thread should only be about coaching hires. But now you're crossing your fingers that this will turn into another Urban Meyer or bust thread, which I know was a lot of fun for you and a lot of other posters, but for many of the rest of us it was a fucking slog to check in after 8 hours to find 3,000 posts about curtains and bbq, and day shift/night crew/BDE and a myriad of other pointless bullshit. 

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a thread that stays on topic. But I know that's asking too much. So I'm just gonna petulantly bitch about it this one time and then shut the fuck up.

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Same. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Ash would have the craptastic sophomore slump like Manny Diaz and Vance Bedford.

And I’d be perfectly fine with Quinn, an experienced DC at the college and NFL levels.

It's funny, Orlando had a sophomore slump too.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Oh you mean like the stickied locked thread that has official coaching updates at the top of the football forum? Only if there was such a thread! 

@blacklab set the tone of this thread early by issuing a ban threat on off-topic posts, so that we don't get a bunch of posts about what people ate for dinner, love life stuff, what they did last night, and other facebook type posts that took up half of the urban thread

Some of us prefer that for this thread

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Man it feels good to read about the coaches we've hired and that the potential hires are coming from legit programs with success. I dont know if Golding is good or not but taking a coach from Alabama sounds better than sending private jets with our President aboard to beg the Tulsa OC/OLC.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's funny, Orlando had a sophomore slump too.

Good coaches use the offseason to look at other teams tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, and figure out ways to improve their performance the next time they meet.  Also, they self-scout to look for areas to improve within their own team.  This necessitates self reflection, humbling yourself, and admitting that you can and should do certain things better.    

Our staff just wanted to go 1-0 for the day and try not to burn their toast.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Gerry basically said that it's not happening

When did he say that?  He posted this morning that they were talking.  I mean, its unlikely, but he didn't dismiss it.

Nevermind - found it:

From Gerry:

I want to say again, IT feels like Simmons is very unlikely at this point.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

52 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The funny thing would be is we hire Golding and Alabama hires Arnett and they're fucked either way. 

Rich get richer. For me, at the end of the day, I am ready to get some consistency and identity on both sides of the ball. Not predictability and head scratching personnel moves. I'm sure the players are just as ready. It goes without saying, but you can really tell a lot about a coach and his staff on the first game they play. The basics have to be covered and it has to look like they are prepared and ready for the game. Mack knew this well, and my hope is that Sark does too. 

42 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Florida game

Early on when Golding was still pretty new to Bama, the defense was riddled with injuries to key guys. It looks like he has matured and has better depth, but some of the former players talk about communication issues, slow to get signals in, etc. The tide faithful are Old Testament entitled to a top 5 defense every season... Who knows.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When did he say that?  He posted this morning that they were talking.  I mean, its unlikely, but he didn't dismiss it.

Nevermind - found it:

From Gerry:

Is TFB saying anything about it? I'd think they'd be the best sources for this situation

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nevermind - found it:

From Gerry:

I want to say again, IT feels like Simmons is very unlikely at this point.

Thanks Hipho...

(Funny 😋  autocorrect changes Hipho to "hip-hop" )

I don't have a problem with any of the candidates mentioned for the WR position. 

What's currently weird is since the Banks stuff died down there hasn't been much talk about the TE position. 

There is another guy on the Bama staff that is a dang good recruiter too in Charles Huff that could also fulfill that role. Also has interesting coaching history regarding the positions he's coached. With offensive line, tight end, and special teams experience he could be someone to keep an eye on.

image.png.12c62ef2d6711514a8ba94a25cc04764.png

Here is his all time recruit list:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Charles-Huff-1732/AllTimeRecruits/

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Man it feels good to read about the coaches we've hired and that the potential hires are coming from legit programs with success. I dont know if Golding is good or not but taking a coach from Alabama sounds better than sending private jets with our President aboard to beg the Tulsa OC/OLC.

No man.  I much prefer the days of arguing over whether a former HS coach or former okie Jay Norvell should take over play calling duties for Mr. 59 himself, Shawn Watson.  The days of two washed up never beens and a maybe fighting it out for the OC position at THE University of Texas were F A N T A S T I C!   It felt so good to see clowns, jetpack men and getting proven soft by a fat fkn regard at the Texas Bowl.  Good times.  Its surreal.  

bxsasdoccaapuoo.0.jpg  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Guess Ciarrocca didn't work out for them, I remember him being a name that was floated for OC around this time last year. But I guess Franklin needed to shake things up at least a little.

Yeah - that was supposed to be big hire for them after the work Ciarrocca had done at Minnesota.

Good landing spot for Yurcich.

6 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Does this mean we don't have to pay the buyout?

Curious how this works, schools can’t give too much of a discount because it lowers the future contract for other candidates, correct? But at the same time, they know that these guys have buyouts or so it’s a balancing act?

7 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Guess Ciarrocca didn't work out for them, I remember him being a name that was floated for OC around this time last year. But I guess Franklin needed to shake things up at least a little.

Man this was the PJ Fleck OC, surprised you see him flame out after only one year

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't have a problem with any of the candidates mentioned for the WR position. 

What's currently weird is since the Banks stuff died down there hasn't been much talk about the TE position. 

There is another guy on the Bama staff that is a dang good recruiter too in Charles Huff that could also fulfill that role. Also has interesting coaching history regarding the positions he's coached. With offensive line, tight end, and special teams experience he could be someone to keep an eye on.

image.png.12c62ef2d6711514a8ba94a25cc04764.png

Here is his all time recruit list:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Charles-Huff-1732/AllTimeRecruits/

He's work.

Humidor

By: IT Staff

As we posted during the Urban Meyer pursuit, the initial information one receives on a big development is often the most accurate. The longer a search goes on, the more info washes through the spin cycle, the more games of telephone are played, and the more agents have their way.

Last Thursday is when we initially heard the names who ended up in Gerry’s Sunday post regarding potential staff makeup. The main names of interest were OC/QB AJ Milwee, OL Kyle Flood, TE/ST Jeff Banks, DL Bo Davis, DC Will Muschamp, WR Keary Colbert, and LB Mike Stoops.

Stoops had a spear run through him immediately.

Milwee and Flood are expected to be part of the staff. Let’s get to the rest.

Head Coach: Steve Sarkisian (de facto OC)

Defensive Coordinator: First, we’re not expecting resolution on who the defensive coordinator will be until after the National Championship Game.

DC has been the most intriguing piece of the puzzle. It’s difficult to put the broader puzzle together without the border, and Will Muschamp was expected to be the border. It’s been rumored part of the allure of hiring Sarkisian was Muschamp joining him and we have heard that ourselves. As of now, that pairing isn’t going to happen.

Arkansas DC Barry Odom was a hot name earlier this week. We believe he had a detailed discussion with Texas, if not a downright interview, Monday evening or Tuesday morning. It was the type of discussion where either an offer is extended or the parties part ways. For an unknown reason, no offer was made. Our speculation is Odom wanted more say in his defensive staff assembly rather than trying to cobble together celebrity bingo.

Mississippi State’s Zach Arnett is another name at the forefront. Known as a young up and comer, Arnett impressed in the suddenly explosive SEC in his first year. Football people we talk to characterize him as a great fit, not only for the Big 12, but UT’s current personnel. San Diego State, where Arnett spent years, was actually at the forefront of the defense largely popularized by Iowa State. With Sarkisian and CDC looking to put together a recruiting monster, Arnett would provide the necessary coaching and schematic IQ. Texas isn’t the only school to take note. Notre Dame has shown interest, as has South Carolina, which he declined. Miss State is pressing hard for him to remain in Starkville and that’s still a possibility. As long as he’s at Mississippi State, his name will likely be associated with any bigger openings, like perhaps Oregon. We’ve even heard the possibility of Alabama if Pete Golding leaves. Clearly he’s turned heads in Tuscaloosa. Arnett is seen as a good fit for the state from a personality standpoint. He may not be a recruiting superstar but he’d be good, especially with the football-serious. Positive selection, imo.

We haven’t heard much actual info on Alabama’s Pete Golding potentially following Sarkisian to Austin but it’s only natural to speculate, especially since Muschamp’s declination lengthened the process and Golding will technically be available next Tuesday. Maybe the timeline is telling us it’s Golding. With the big game looming, if this hire was to be made, it would stay as quiet as possible.

To our knowledge, no formal offer has been extended to a defensive coordinator. But with the activity at other positions, that doesn’t really make sense, does it? There’s a chance a dark horse candidate is waiting to pounce on an offer in the coming days. Maybe it’s Dan Quinn, who we’ve heard would enthusiastically return to the college game.

We haven’t heard that Chris Ash has been formally released. That’s probably the best sign they don’t have a DC locked up.

Defensive Line: We heard Bo Davis’ name a week ago, we posted his name on Sunday, and we are still hearing he is the most likely candidate but by no means a done deal.

We haven’t heard real info on fabled recruiting witch Tosh Lupoi. We have mentioned his relationship with Sarkisian has been icy at times. If their mutual interests intersect perhaps something happens here but as of now we haven’t heard anything real.

Linebacker: It’s most likely the defensive coordinator will have a background at this position and continue to coach it.

We’re not ruling out Coleman Hutzler staying, but it doesn’t look likely.

Defensive Back: We heard Corey Raymond’s name early on but assumed for that to happen Will Muschamp would have to be the coordinator. That isn’t the case, however, as Raymond is reciprocating interest with Muschamp (seemingly) out of the picture. People close to Raymond downplay him having an offer from Texas but we’re not sure we’re buying that.

Tennessee defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, Derrick Ansley, has also been mentioned. We think his candidacy is more real than a couple of days ago but we’re still not sure he’s a legitimate target. He makes a lot of money at Tennessee, is close with Jeremy Pruitt (left the NFL to work for him), and is still employed (for now). Ansley is highly respected with both Nick Saban and Jon Gruden hiring him.

In talking to a coach who knows Raymond and Ansley well, he says Ansley is the better fit for Texas, but of course Raymond would make the most sense from an immediate recruiting impact standpoint.

Special Teams: Blake Gideon, who was a four-year starter in the Texas secondary during one of the most talented runs in program history, has been hired to coach special teams. He may also coach the safeties but that’s yet to be determined. He’s seen as an up and comer who was recommended by Muschamp. Ever the glue guy, Gideon will get in where he fits in.

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks: AJ Milwee

Offensive Line: Kyle Flood

Running Back: Stan Drayton

Tight End: We mentioned Jeff Banks as having the pole position but knew him to be the one assistant coach Saban wanted to hold on to because he’s an assassin on the trail. Banks is reportedly staying in Tuscaloosa, but he could be monkeying around and buying time to make his ultimate decision after the Ohio State game.

This position could very likely be filled by BRA (best recruiter available).

Wide Receiver: After hearing Keary Colbert last week we haven’t heard his name once since Sarkisian was announced.

OU’s Dennis Simmons was mentioned elsewhere this morning, but as Hamilton stated in the moderator thread, Saban/Sarkisian already tried to hire him twice. He doesn’t even have an agent which suggests he’s pleasantly tethered to Lincoln Riley. This is very, very unlikely to happen.

Current Alabama wide receivers coach, Holmon Wiggins, is the leader in the clubhouse to be the man in Austin. In fact, Inside Texas is putting in a brass ball prediction that Wiggins will join Milwee and Flood in following Sarkisian.

Strength and conditioning: Cal’s Torre Becton will be the strength coach at Texas but it remains to be seen who handles conditioning.

Like throwing and running events in track and field it makes sense to split these two disciplines, but it’s still imperative strength and conditioning are working in concert.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

No man.  I much prefer the days of arguing over whether a former HS coach or former okie Jay Norvell should take over play calling duties for Mr. 59 himself, Shawn Watson.  The days of two washed up never beens and a maybe fighting it out for the OC position at THE University of Texas were F A N T A S T I C!   It felt so good to see clowns, jetpack men and getting proven soft by a fat fkn regard at the Texas Bowl.  Good times.  Its surreal.  

bxsasdoccaapuoo.0.jpg  

that joker was shockingly bad 

Can someone give me a TL;DR explanation of Sark, an offensive-minded coach, hiring all of his defensive position coordinators without first hiring a DC? I can't imagine most guys wanting to come to a place where they have no say in their staff: is there someone that he's already unofficially tapped for the job?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, touchthemonolith said:

Can someone give me a TL;DR explanation of Sark, an offensive-minded coach, hiring all of his defensive position coordinators without first hiring a DC? I can't imagine most guys wanting to come to a place where they have no say in their staff: is there someone that he's already unofficially tapped for the job?

There has only been one hire that might be defensive (Gideon).  

• Hook 'Em 1