Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So what's your tier list since it sounds like Muschamp is out?

Arnett and Freeman are on the same tier for me. Arnett gets the edge because there's no uncertainty about the head coach / DC dynamic that Freeman and Fickell have.

Dan Quinn

Chris Ash

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Arnett and Freeman are on the same tier for me. Arnett gets the edge because there's no uncertainty about the head coach / DC dynamic that Freeman and Fickell have.

Dan Quinn

Chris Ash

People that really know the college coaching ranks seem to believe that Freeman is a bad ass. If he goes to LSU, there is suspicion that part of what they may value in him is that he could replace Orgeron under certain circumstances.

1 minute ago, GTX Horn said:

If Wiggins stays at Bama, would Tee Martin still be on the table? That wouldn’t be a bad consolation at all IMO.

Martin is a known dirtbag when it comes to recruiting. I'm less excited about hiring a guy with his history while his current staff is under investigation and headed to some potentially ugly discoveries that could make it a problem to have him on UT's payroll. There are better choices to be made right now.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So what's your tier list since it sounds like Muschamp is out?

Offer Matt Quinn and Will Muschamp $3.5 and take the first that bites.

Offer Tosh Lupoi, Corey Raymond and Jeff Banks record setting deals for their position + title.

Profit

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

People that really know the college coaching ranks seem to believe that Freeman is a bad ass. If he goes to LSU, there is suspicion that part of what they may value in him is that he could replace Orgeron under certain circumstances.

Martin is a known dirtbag when it comes to recruiting. I'm less excited about hiring a guy with his history while his current staff is under investigation and headed to some potentially ugly discoveries that could make it a problem to have him on UT's payroll. There are better choices to be made right now.

Yes - seems like the Tenn investigation (or soon to be investigation) should disqualify Martin for now.

11 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

First post...Texas grad but I come from a Cal family and grew up in the Bay Area so I follow Cal and the Pac 12 closely.

As I was wading through this post, I saw a bunch of Cal mentions.  For those interested...

Peter Sirmon has a lot of Sark connections but he is besties with Wilcox at Cal and their families are super tight.  Wilcox pushed out Ted DeRuyter at DC so Sirmon could take over despite the excellent job TDR did.  Sirmon is an excellent LB coach but is seriously meh as a DC

Torre Becton is a fucking home run for Sark.  That dude is a badass and is a big part of the culture at Cal.  He takes no shit from the players and demands toughness, grit and accountability.  No prima donnas allowed... Cal is short on talent but every team they play hurts afterwards.  SC tried to poach him in '19 and he turned them down, not surprised he has been picked off, he is one of the best.

Saw some questions on who Tosh Lupoi got to Cal.  Basically, all the big names Cal got during his 4 years there ('08-11).  Keenan Allen would be the headliner but there were a bunch of others.  He also had Cal lined up for a monster class in '12.  Cal didn't/doesnt pay and Sark picked him off to go to UW for an extra $150k.  Story is, Tosh confirmed the deal in his car, walked into Shaq Thompson's house for an in home and before telling Jeff Tedford that he was leaving for UW, proceeded to trash Cal and poach Thompson to UW.  Shaq was considered a Cal lock before that and Cal was in line for a top 5 or 6 class nationally that year before Lupoi jumped.  It wouldve included Arik Armstead and 4 top 50 national players, 6 or 7 top 112. The class fell apart after that...they kept 2 of those dudes.

re: Sark... I hope the alcoholism was why he was so incredibly mediocre at UW and SC because he was really average.  Shit in game coach.  Maybe he has learned and/or maybe the booze was the cause but he was pretty underwhelming before.  And dont give him too much credit for turning UW into a 7 win team 2 years after they went 0fer... they have a ton of cash and always have had excellent facilities.  Willingham sucked but they had some decent players...

Anyways, just my 2 cents

TLDR

Forget Sirmon

Bechton is a home run

Lupoi is a fucking badass and if we get him hold on to your butts   

Sark after dark on game day isn’t all that, but it could be because he was shitfaced  

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

TLDR

Forget Sirmon

Bechton is a home run

Lupoi is a fucking badass and if we get him hold on to your butts   

Sark after dark on game day isn’t all that, but it could be because he was shitfaced  

yup, thats it exactly

I'm really starting to get my hopes up for Dan Quinn if he is in fact a legitimate possibility. Dude was the DC for one of the best defenses in the NFL in the past 30 years. Plus you have to imagine the whole "legion of boom" rabbit would be a good one to pull out of your hat when recruiting guys like Denver Harris. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I have Jekyll and Hide feelings about the QB position and how it should be utilized. On one hand, you want a QB with a great arm and ability to execute a sophisticated passing attack. 

But on the other hand, a QB with great running ability, combined with a great arm and either a sophisticated or simple passing attack is the most difficult combination to defend.

Of course I want a QB that can do both, but those are really hard to find, so I understand the statement about not looking for a running QB. But at the same time I want utopia and Sark is telling me I’m not going to get it. 

Ideally you want your QB to be mobile like Mahomes not primarily a runner like Jackson

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Not to piss in the Dennis Simmons money whip excitement here but..  TFB is still a bottom bitch covering ou, right?  Think they might be doing a solid for Simmons (source?) into getting a raise, or am I thinking too much here?

Offering to double someone's salary cannot be ignored. Now if they come back with a 50% raise, will it be enough to keep him? It wouldn't be enough to keep me, even if I loved where I was. 

3 hours ago, MissouriHorn said:

For those who have the time today... Sark talking some ball here. 

Worth going to about 34:45 on this video even if you don't watch the X's and O's prior to that. Pretty good insight into the guy just from those five minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A little surprised Emmett Jones hasn't come up at all for WR. By most accounts he would lock down Dallas recruiting. Maybe Sark really values Xs and Os/coaching at that spot more than others

I don't think anyone has truly connected him to us yet, but Roach has pitched him several times the past week. 

2 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:
There’s always the chance that Saban really is retiring, in which case he doesn’t care that staff is leaving. Low odds, but one can dream. 

Thats not something I want right now, just opens the door for aggy since the rest of the SEC sucks shit through a straw. What I'd like is to get Texas to a level we can seek revenge for 09...then everything will come full circle for his post game retirement announcement.

Damn good point. We want Saban there for another year or two so that we reclaim our rightful place in the hierarchy of the universe. 

30 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Furk.  We are looking for a winning culture.

Harsh but fair

in all seriousness, Cal's football culture under Wilcox is all about the OKGs "Our Kind of Guys".  Smart, team oriented, love football and love smashing people in the face.  No quitting.  So maybe fewer high star guys but once they play hard and for each other.  Becton drives a lot of that off the field and off season.

Mike Roach on Lupoi:

Spoiler

Not a ton of movement on that front, but I thought I'd share where things are.

I spoke to a source close to Lupoi. I was told he has had iniital conversations with Sarkisian but nothing formal at this point as far as this source knew. Another source I spoke with said that Tosh has several options he's looking at including several NFL jobs. What he wants is a fast track to being a head coach. If Lupoi were to come to Texas, it would have to be under the DC title according to this source. Lupoi was last a DC for Alabama in the 2018-2019 season before making the move to the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike Roach on Lupoi:

Reveal hidden contents

I spoke to a source close to Lupoi. I was told he has had iniital conversations with Sarkisian but nothing formal at this point as far as this source knew. Another source I spoke with said that Tosh has several options he's looking at including several NFL jobs. What he wants is a fast track to being a head coach. If Lupoi were to come to Texas, it would have to be under the DC title according to this source. Lupoi was last a DC for Alabama in the 2018-2019 season before making the move to the NFL.

Co-DC yes.... sole DC with PC duties... probably less enthused

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So if the DC ends up being Ansley, what's going to be the thoughts on that?  I honestly don't know much about him.

I thought all of the talk about Ansley was as a DB coach - with the assumption he is either fleeing the sinking Tennessee ship or that the entire coaching staff is purged pre-investigation?

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike Roach on Lupoi:

Hide contents

No way should Lupoi be the play calling DC for Texas. That would be a mistake. He is a bagman and a damn good position coach He was a pretty shitty DC.

• Hook 'Em 1