Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep, I'm of two minds on Quinn.

I think he would bring it on the recruiting trail, he would be an adult in the room for Sark to listen to, and would be well-respected in the locker room.

I'm not sure he has the schematic chops for modern CFB.

IMO it is the same as bringing in Muschamp they seem to be very similar in a few different ways

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Muschamp

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Bryan Harsin left for Arkansas St.

Muschamp for sure, I'm not sure if Harsin counts. That seemed more like a get the fuck out before this derails my career type situation. Normally I think a young coordinator would wait for a better opportunity than Ark St. to come out of being the Texas OC.

• Hook 'Em 1

From the Bama 247

Spoiler

Tim Watts
Posted on 16 mins, V I P, , User Post Count: 0
16 mins
VIP
Just an FYI here, but we are aware of all the discussion involving coaching changes. We aren't ignoring, just focusing on the Heisman, awards and prep for NC game. The UA staff continues to focus on the game and have been told by numerous sources Saban isn't worried about any moves until after the game on Monday. Not a shock as it's been his MO at Alabama. Saban usually meets with his entire staff after the season.

Here are a few things we have heard with some having already been reported. Bear in mind these things go back and forth often (see Mike Bobo to So Car and then to Auburn), so there could be changes. As things stand now:

- We do expect Kyle Flood to leave for Texas as reported barring something unexpected. We are told he will be OC. Promotional move makes sense.

- The UA replacement obviously will be a priority for Saban after the game, but we are told he won't be in a hurry. Again getting the right one is the priority. Which he seems to be well within his wheelhouse. We are told there is a lot of excitement about the talent that will be on campus next year on that side of the ball and there will be a lot of quality candidates.

- Multiple sources indicate Bill O'Brien will be under consideration. He was in town for a few days and is leaving this week and could be at the game. How involved is to be determined in our opinion. O'Brien is likely to have other options as well, so both parties are in the starting phase here. O'Brien was expected in Tuscaloosa for a visit before the Sark news broke. But we aren't sure if Sark leaving played a role in his visit. Saban knew Sark was leaving before the media did.

- There is plenty of buzz that Holmon Wiggins will also go to Texas. Sources tell BOL they believe its likely he will, but that one could still be up in the air somewhat. If he leaves it's likely to be with Saban's blessings.

- Two good sources told us they do not expect Jeff Banks or Karl Scott to head to Texas. Nothing definite here but not hearing they are leaving at this stage.

- Checked on the Bo Davis to Texas report and it sounds like Texas has shown interest but so have other schools and NFL teams. He's likely to have options. Doesn't mean he won't end up in Austin but this could have some twists and turns. But Davis was at Texas a few years ago.

We've heard other rumors but nothing substantial enough to report or comment on at this stage.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll ask again where the “we’re going to have two guys managing the S&C side “ is coming from besides Nahlin claiming he’s hearing that? 

I’m not saying that it won’t happen, I’d just like to understand what the underlying support to the premise is beyond one guy who has no insights whatsoever otherwise to what the Sarkisian end is doing or planning. Some of you guys are being matter of fact about it, so it would be helpful to track the different places claiming it, in order to understand that it’s not a hypothesis of one being floated by a guy known for making shit up. 

The guys at Bama were unknowns when Saban picked them up. One is a PhD with no football background of interest. Is the premise here that we’re going to slap a dork into the S&C sandwich with an old school guy and call it a success along the likes of whatever Bama is doing?

First, let me preface that I am pretty much the furthest from an “insider” that has ever lurked on this site. Second, I respect and appreciate a lot of what you, Machinator, and many others bring to the site.

Now that I’m done kissing your collective asses; let me offer a counter point- from reading the contributions of many on this board, S&C Coaches have long been more than just that, Strength & Conditioning coaches- They’ve been babysitters, enforcers (of punishment) and even confidante to players.  Maybe, just maybe, Saban is on to something here- Two of these HAS to be better than one; no?  The more eyes on the Team, the lesser the chances of a major screw up.  
Perhaps the dude with the PhD and no football acumen whatsoever is really a licensed psychiatrist/therapist?  Or maybe one educated in straight EQ; like a Professionally Certified Leadership/Life Coach? 
Hell, let’s go contract Tony Robbins, John Maxwell or Inyala Vanzant.  
#whateverittakes 

#allgasnobrakes

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, runthebone said:

We should want our coordinators to be ambitious and successful and become head coaches elsewhere.  You think Saban would not hire someone because he'll only be there for 1-2 years?

While this is true Saban kept his first set of Coordinators around awhile outside of Major which allowed him to get the machine up and running. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll ask again where the “we’re going to have two guys managing the S&C side “ is coming from besides Nahlin claiming he’s hearing that? 

I’m not saying that it won’t happen, I’d just like to understand what the underlying support to the premise is beyond one guy who has no insights whatsoever otherwise to what the Sarkisian end is doing or planning. Some of you guys are being matter of fact about it, so it would be helpful to track the different places claiming it, in order to understand that it’s not a hypothesis of one being floated by a guy known for making shit up. 

The guys at Bama were unknowns when Saban picked them up. One is a PhD with no football background of interest. Is the premise here that we’re going to slap a dork into the S&C sandwich with an old school guy and call it a success along the likes of whatever Bama is doing?

First, let me preface that I am pretty much the furthest from an “insider” that has ever lurked on this site. Second, I respect and appreciate a lot of what you, Machinator, and many others bring to the site.

Now that I’m done kissing your collective asses; let me offer a counter point- from reading the contributions of many on this board, S&C Coaches have long been more than just that, Strength & Conditioning coaches- They’ve been babysitters, enforcers (of punishment) and even confidante to players.  Maybe, just maybe, Saban is on to something here- Two of these HAS to be better than one; no?  The more eyes on the Team, the lesser the chances of a major screw up.  
Perhaps the dude with the PhD and no football acumen whatsoever is really a licensed psychiatrist/therapist?  Or maybe one educated in straight EQ; like a Professionally Certified Leadership/Life Coach? 
#whateverittakes 

#allgasnobrakes

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

From the Bama 247

Reveal hidden contents

Tim Watts
16 mins
VIP
Just an FYI here, but we are aware of all the discussion involving coaching changes. We aren't ignoring, just focusing on the Heisman, awards and prep for NC game. The UA staff continues to focus on the game and have been told by numerous sources Saban isn't worried about any moves until after the game on Monday. Not a shock as it's been his MO at Alabama. Saban usually meets with his entire staff after the season.

Here are a few things we have heard with some having already been reported. Bear in mind these things go back and forth often (see Mike Bobo to So Car and then to Auburn), so there could be changes. As things stand now:

- We do expect Kyle Flood to leave for Texas as reported barring something unexpected. We are told he will be OC. Promotional move makes sense.

- The UA replacement obviously will be a priority for Saban after the game, but we are told he won't be in a hurry. Again getting the right one is the priority. Which he seems to be well within his wheelhouse. We are told there is a lot of excitement about the talent that will be on campus next year on that side of the ball and there will be a lot of quality candidates.

- Multiple sources indicate Bill O'Brien will be under consideration. He was in town for a few days and is leaving this week and could be at the game. How involved is to be determined in our opinion. O'Brien is likely to have other options as well, so both parties are in the starting phase here. O'Brien was expected in Tuscaloosa for a visit before the Sark news broke. But we aren't sure if Sark leaving played a role in his visit. Saban knew Sark was leaving before the media did.

- There is plenty of buzz that Holmon Wiggins will also go to Texas. Sources tell BOL they believe its likely he will, but that one could still be up in the air somewhat. If he leaves it's likely to be with Saban's blessings.

- Two good sources told us they do not expect Jeff Banks or Karl Scott to head to Texas. Nothing definite here but not hearing they are leaving at this stage.

- Checked on the Bo Davis to Texas report and it sounds like Texas has shown interest but so have other schools and NFL teams. He's likely to have options. Doesn't mean he won't end up in Austin but this could have some twists and turns. But Davis was at Texas a few years ago.

We've heard other rumors but nothing substantial enough to report or comment on at this stage.

Not a word about Golding. I'm not sure what to make of that.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

This is what DFW does does to people. Get yourself down to the Gulf Coast, friend.

I'm from Beaumont and once brought a ton of Boudin from home to a freind's in Weatherford. It was a Memorial Day weekend get together. It was of course a hit, but seeing facial expressions when I explained what it was, was priceless. The food culture that seeps into my part of TX is one of the few positives. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Muschamp for sure, I'm not sure if Harsin counts. That seemed more like a get the fuck out before this derails my career type situation. Normally I think a young coordinator would wait for a better opportunity than Ark St. to come out of being the Texas OC.

Harsin didn’t like the culture here.  May have called out mad dog to Mack.    Allegedly took the arky st job without visiting 

55 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Quinn for one year and then promote someone from within?

No Quinn in year 1. Install a defense that is similar to Will's since all these guys are in the Muschamp/Quinn tree. Quinn leaves after 1 year for a HC job, Muschamp comes in to replace him after his year sabbatical.

That is some 6D chess.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

From the Bama 247

Hide contents

Tim Watts
16 mins
VIP

Hasn't FootballScoop said they expect Wiggins to be on Sark's staff? Pretty sure I remember seeing him included on a list with the other supposedly done names - Flood, Drayton, Gideon

And what do they mean here by "If he leaves it's likely to be with Saban's blessings"? As in Saban doesn't want him?

Just now, HtownHorn said:

No Quinn in year 1. Install a defense that is similar to Will's since all these guys are in the Muschamp/Quinn tree. Quinn leaves after 1 year for a HC job, Muschamp comes in to replace him after his year sabbatical.

That is some 6D chess.

Then Sark/Muschamp threepeat as national champions. After conquering college football Sark wants a new challenge and takes an NFL job and Muschamp is promoted finally fulfilling his HCIW title from 2008. 

consciousness-709143.jpg

With Flood, can we say without a doubt this is a better coaching staff than Herm or Charlie?  If so how much better?  Like waaaay better, like the staff difference alone should account for 1 or 2 additional victories?  I wasn’t paying attention in 98.  How does this staff compare to Mack’s staff?  

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep, I'm of two minds on Quinn.

I think he would bring it on the recruiting trail, he would be an adult in the room for Sark to listen to, and would be well-respected in the locker room.

I'm not sure he has the schematic chops for modern CFB.

I feel the same, but I also wonder whether my reaction is just reflexive stereotyping (long time in the NFL, can he keep up with the craziness of modern college offenses?), or whether that has actually proven to be true.

Any recent examples come to mind?

• Like 1

Just now, Getafix said:

I feel the same, but I also wonder whether my reaction is just reflexive stereotyping (long time in the NFL, can he keep up with the craziness of modern college offenses?), or whether that has actually proven to be true.

Any recent examples come to mind?

It's a Pete Carroll DC thing. Most of his coaching tree are currently failing or stagnant as DCs, with the notable exception of Robert Saleh, who's in line for an NFL HC job.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

#whateverittakes 

#allgasnobrakes

I’m with you. I think if you read further in the thread you’ll see where that is clarified. 

• Like 1