Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

FWIW - may only be tree fiddy - but he does hit all the right notes re: Texas.  

5-star Alabama commit Ryan Williams breaks down three finalists, locks in commitment date
Williams will take a trio of official visits and then sign on his birthday in early February.
Greg Biggins

Spoiler

5-star Alabama commit Ryan Williams breaks down three finalists, locks in commitment date
Williams will take a trio of official visits and then sign on his birthday in early February.
Greg Biggins

Earlier this month, Saraland (Ala.) wideout and long time Alabama commit Ryan Williams decided to reclassify from the ’25 class in to the class of ’24. He told us during check-in for the Under Armour Next All-America Game on Friday that he plans to sign in early February after taking a few official visits.

Williams is a tremendous talent who checks in as the No. 3 wideout and No. 10 player overall in the Top247. He was a top-five overall prospect in the ’25 class and remains a consensus five-star prospect after the reclassification.

Williams committed to Alabama back in October 2022 and his pledge to the Tide still sounds very strong. He’s set to take an official visit to Bama on Jan. 20.

“It will take a lot to get me away from Bama,” Williams said. “I really love the Tide and my family has come around as well. My dad played at Auburn, so our whole family was Auburn fans but now that I’ve been committed for almost two years, they have all come around.

“Bama is NFL U (University) and do a great job developing at all positions but especially receiver. Coach (Holmon) Wiggins is a great WR coach and Nick Saban is obviously a great coach as well. You go to Bama, you know you’re going to win a lot of games, get developed and get to the League (NFL) and that’s the goal for all of us.”

As mentioned, Williams grew up an Auburn fan and the Tigers will get his final official visit on Feb. 3.

“I was on a visit to Auburn and they said they wanted to get my last official visit before I sign so that’s why I’m going there on the third,” Williams said. “I’ve always loved Auburn, but they were going through some struggles and a coaching change at the time I committed to Bama.

“As soon as Hugh Freeze was hired, he hit reached out right away along with coach (Marcus) Davis and they have been recruiting me hard ever since. I’ve been up there at least a dozen times and I’m really comfortable and know the school really well so that’s why I’m taking that visit.”

Texas will get their shot at Williams on Jan. 27.

“Texas is losing a few receivers and there’s a lot of opportunity there,” Williams said. “That’s a big market there and I think I can really thrive in a city like Austin.

“I like their QB room a lot as well and that’s very important and Sark (Steve Sarkisian) is a great play caller. He was the guy calling the plays at Bama when Smitty (DeVonta Smith) won the Heisman and he has a great track record for getting receivers to the League. Texas is a hot team and I think they have a great thing going right now.”

Williams will make his decision and sign on Feb. 9.

“That’s my birthday and also when my dad signed with Auburn 16 years ago,” Williams said. “I’m excited to take these visits and then evaluate everyone.

Get the latest football and basketball transfer portal news from 247Sports.

“A big thing for me is finding a program where I can win, I like winning and also a place where I’m comfortable and can get developed. I think all three of these schools provide that opportunity so I’m looking forward to this.”

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Greg Biggins

Hide contents

Greg Biggins

Earlier this month, Saraland (Ala.) wideout and long time Alabama commit Ryan Williams decided to reclassify from the ’25 class in to the class of ’24. He told us during check-in for the Under Armour Next All-America Game on Friday that he plans to sign in early February after taking a few official visits.

Williams is a tremendous talent who checks in as the No. 3 wideout and No. 10 player overall in the Top247. He was a top-five overall prospect in the ’25 class and remains a consensus five-star prospect after the reclassification.

Williams committed to Alabama back in October 2022 and his pledge to the Tide still sounds very strong. He’s set to take an official visit to Bama on Jan. 20.

“It will take a lot to get me away from Bama,” Williams said. “I really love the Tide and my family has come around as well. My dad played at Auburn, so our whole family was Auburn fans but now that I’ve been committed for almost two years, they have all come around.

“Bama is NFL U (University) and do a great job developing at all positions but especially receiver. Coach (Holmon) Wiggins is a great WR coach and Nick Saban is obviously a great coach as well. You go to Bama, you know you’re going to win a lot of games, get developed and get to the League (NFL) and that’s the goal for all of us.”

As mentioned, Williams grew up an Auburn fan and the Tigers will get his final official visit on Feb. 3.

“I was on a visit to Auburn and they said they wanted to get my last official visit before I sign so that’s why I’m going there on the third,” Williams said. “I’ve always loved Auburn, but they were going through some struggles and a coaching change at the time I committed to Bama.

“As soon as Hugh Freeze was hired, he hit reached out right away along with coach (Marcus) Davis and they have been recruiting me hard ever since. I’ve been up there at least a dozen times and I’m really comfortable and know the school really well so that’s why I’m taking that visit.”

“Texas is losing a few receivers and there’s a lot of opportunity there,” Williams said. “That’s a big market there and I think I can really thrive in a city like Austin.

“I like their QB room a lot as well and that’s very important and Sark (Steve Sarkisian) is a great play caller. He was the guy calling the plays at Bama when Smitty (DeVonta Smith) won the Heisman and he has a great track record for getting receivers to the League. Texas is a hot team and I think they have a great thing going right now.”

“That’s my birthday and also when my dad signed with Auburn 16 years ago,” Williams said. “I’m excited to take these visits and then evaluate everyone.

“A big thing for me is finding a program where I can win, I like winning and also a place where I’m comfortable and can get developed. I think all three of these schools provide that opportunity so I’m looking forward to this.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Greg Biggins

Reveal hidden contents

Greg Biggins

Notice how he doesn't mention KJ Lacey being committed to Texas as part of the draw of going there. 

Alabama or Auburn, and I think they could both flip to Auburn on the same day.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Notice how he doesn't mention KJ Lacey being committed to Texas as part of the draw of going there. 

Alabama or Auburn, and I think they could both flip to Auburn on the same day.

He did mention the QB room at Texas and with him reclassifying Quinn and Arch would be at QB the next 3 years and he likely goes to the NFL after that. 

• Like 1

Some Arch content ...

Thought this pic was really funny.

(From an article - below - about how the media was all over Arch at media day, and gave Ewers far less attention when Arch was around.)

image.png.27d61bbf3f77bad365e514c5a0924069.png

Full article below - paints a nice, down to earth portrait of Arch.

The Sugar Bowl has Arch Madness: Inside Arch Manning's show-stealing introduction in New Orleans

Brandon Marcello (247Sports)

Spoiler

The Sugar Bowl has Arch Madness: Inside Arch Manning's show-stealing introduction in New Orleans

NEW ORLEANS — On most days, the starting quarterback at Texas is a superstar, but in the Land of Manning, Quinn Ewers was just another guy Saturday inside the Caesars Superdome.

Arch Manning walked onto the field at the Caesars Superdome in his hometown, found a seat on a bench along the visitor's sideline and before he could remove his hands from his pockets, the freshman was surrounded by 22 reporters. Ewers enjoyed a rare reprieve from the spotlight for the next 38 minutes, entertaining a crowd no larger than three at the Sugar Bowl's media day.

"He can have it all," Ewers joked. "It's nice. I'll take it."

(Texas' QB1 Quinn Ewers took a backseat to Arch Manning at Sugar Bowl Media Days; Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
Two days away from the College Football Playoff semifinal between Texas and Washington, the big story was Manning. He has done nothing substantial yet in his career at Texas, but as the fourth quarterback from the First Family of Football, his lineage has paved a path to celebrity, and championship expectations await the class of 2023's No. 1 recruit whenever he does take over as the Longhorns' starter. The grandson of Archie and nephew of Peyton and Eli can not escape the weight his name carries in New Orleans. The Manning Family is synonymous with football across the planet, but in New Orleans they are royalty. Arch needed only to glance above him if he needed a reminder Saturday. His grandfather's name is high in the rafters of the Superdome as a member of the New Orleans Saints' Ring of Honor. It reminded him also of the advice "Red" gave him Saturday morning.

"My grandfather always likes to say in interviews less is best. Sorry about that, guys," Arch smiled.

Arch followed his grandfather's advice Saturday, offering short answers to long-winded questions just as his uncles Peyton and Eli did throughout their college and NFL careers and finally putting his voice to the transfer rumors that are bound to pop up until Arch becomes a starting QB.

"I mean, there's always rumors especially nowadays. I haven't looked into transferring at all," Manning said. "I'm focused on developing and helping this team anyway I can and one day playing for the University of Texas like I've always wanted to. Sark's one of the realest guys I know. He keeps it 100 with you and that's what I want."

Arch is respectful of his peers and affable in his responses. There is no air of superiority around Arch, even with the cache of three generations of greatness underneath his wings.

"There is good and bad to it," Arch said. "The bad thing is you're kinda recognized a lot of places you go and sometimes you just want to be laid back and undercover, but there's a lot of good to it. I get a lot of Grade A advice."

Arch has a difficult time telling people "no." He is often asked by classmates to pose for photos at Texas. During his first week on campus in January, a classmate discovered Arch's lost student ID, and a picture of the card was plastered all over social media by the student. "As long as you're a good guy, I'll talk to you all day," Arch said. "I think I've gotten better at saying no to some autographs because I'm not allowed to sign."

Arch aims to please to a fault, his high school coach Nelson Stewart said. It's why Cooper Manning, Arch's father, enlisted the help of Peyton and Eli, along with Stewart, to guide him through an insane, four-year recruiting process at Isidore Newman High School that saw the Longhorns win out for Arch over Georgia and Alabama. Peyton secretly shared ideas for drills and offered notes from film cut-ups during the season. "He didn't want anyone to know, but it was so helpful," Stewart said. Archie helped with Arch's mechanics, taking notes on his iPhone to share with Stewart.

Meanwhile, up to 30 college coaches each day wanted to speak to Arch, but no coach — not even the invincible Nick Saban — had direct access to him. Stewart filtered all recruiting calls and welcomed every coach into his office before they were allowed to speak to Arch. One day seven coaches had to be squeezed into a 30-minute break between classes. Some were turned away.

"They would just keep coming," Stewart told 247Sports this week. "It was my life. It was like a '30 for 30.'"

One powerful Power Five head coach sat in Stewart's office for three hours waiting for an opportunity to speak to Manning for a few minutes. Stewart didn't want to share the coach's name and embarrass him.

"The biggest reason why I was always so protective of him is because he's such a good kid," Stewart said. "He's somebody with that last name, and then you see him throw a football once, you can see a silhouette and know it was him. He's grown up with so much scrutiny and so much media attention, he has every reason to be a different kind of kid and he isn't."

It's not a surprise to learn Arch, like his uncles and grandfather, is constantly taking notes. He often asked Texas deep snapper Christian Rizzi, a native of nearby Metairie, Louisiana, questions about the Longhorns and the positives and negatives of the university during the recruiting process. "He's always thinking about football," Rizzi said. "But if you talk to him and football is not part of the conversation, he's a normal guy."

He diagrammed plays with Sarkisian over Zoom and FaceTime, including a session when he was babysitting a family friend's child in an arcade, Stewart said.

"I give him a lot of credit, because he operates on a daily basis like [Manning] is not the name on the back of his jersey," Sarkisian said. "He comes to work and works as hard or harder than anybody in our program."

Arch's roommate on road trips is Ewers, whom he constantly pesters with questions. Ewers, in turn, quizzes Arch on plays.

"I've learned a lot from him," Arch said. "He's just a good dude. I like the way he attacks his preparation and carries himself because he was a big-time recruit. He doesn't get into all the media and goes about his business and works very hard."

Manning was elevated to Ewers' backup after spending the regular season on the third team behind Maalik Murphy. Murphy departed the program and transferred to Duke after the Big 12 Championship, leaving Manning as the primary backup for the playoffs.

What's the difference today knowing he is one play away from being thrown on the field?

"I've gotten that question from my dad, too," Arch said. "I've tried the whole time to prepare like I'm the starter. That was the advice Peyton and Eli gave me before the season."

What Manning could provide Texas remains to be seen, but expectations are obviously high. Stewart, who played alongside Peyton and Cooper at Isidore Newman in the early 1990s, believes Arch is more athletic and nimble than his uncles, and his throwing motion is unmatched.

"He can get the ball out faster than any quarterback I've ever seen," Stewart said. "He doesn't even need to set his feet. It's almost art the way it comes off. I heard coaches when they were recruiting him say, when you stand behind him, you can hear it. It's a hiss that goes off the football."

The list of superlatives and high school accolades is long, but Manning is short on experience at Texas. He made his debut Nov. 24 to the delight of a punch-drunk home crowd at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, completing 2 of 5 passes for 30 yards in a 57-7 beatdown of Texas Tech. Manning flashed his wheels and his arm talent in mop-up duty, but the next pass will be the biggest of his life.

"Just stick with the process," he said. "My time, whenever that may be, it's coming."

Full interview.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Some Arch content ...

Thought this pic was really funny.

(From an article - below - about how the media was all over Arch at media day, and gave Ewers far less attention when Arch was around.)

image.png.27d61bbf3f77bad365e514c5a0924069.png

Full article below - paints a nice, down to earth portrait of Arch.

Reveal hidden contents

NEW ORLEANS — On most days, the starting quarterback at Texas is a superstar, but in the Land of Manning, Quinn Ewers was just another guy Saturday inside the Caesars Superdome.

Arch Manning walked onto the field at the Caesars Superdome in his hometown, found a seat on a bench along the visitor's sideline and before he could remove his hands from his pockets, the freshman was surrounded by 22 reporters. Ewers enjoyed a rare reprieve from the spotlight for the next 38 minutes, entertaining a crowd no larger than three at the Sugar Bowl's media day.

"He can have it all," Ewers joked. "It's nice. I'll take it."

(Texas' QB1 Quinn Ewers took a backseat to Arch Manning at Sugar Bowl Media Days; Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
Two days away from the College Football Playoff semifinal between Texas and Washington, the big story was Manning. He has done nothing substantial yet in his career at Texas, but as the fourth quarterback from the First Family of Football, his lineage has paved a path to celebrity, and championship expectations await the class of 2023's No. 1 recruit whenever he does take over as the Longhorns' starter. The grandson of Archie and nephew of Peyton and Eli can not escape the weight his name carries in New Orleans. The Manning Family is synonymous with football across the planet, but in New Orleans they are royalty. Arch needed only to glance above him if he needed a reminder Saturday. His grandfather's name is high in the rafters of the Superdome as a member of the New Orleans Saints' Ring of Honor. It reminded him also of the advice "Red" gave him Saturday morning.

"My grandfather always likes to say in interviews less is best. Sorry about that, guys," Arch smiled.

Arch followed his grandfather's advice Saturday, offering short answers to long-winded questions just as his uncles Peyton and Eli did throughout their college and NFL careers and finally putting his voice to the transfer rumors that are bound to pop up until Arch becomes a starting QB.

"I mean, there's always rumors especially nowadays. I haven't looked into transferring at all," Manning said. "I'm focused on developing and helping this team anyway I can and one day playing for the University of Texas like I've always wanted to. Sark's one of the realest guys I know. He keeps it 100 with you and that's what I want."

Arch is respectful of his peers and affable in his responses. There is no air of superiority around Arch, even with the cache of three generations of greatness underneath his wings.

"There is good and bad to it," Arch said. "The bad thing is you're kinda recognized a lot of places you go and sometimes you just want to be laid back and undercover, but there's a lot of good to it. I get a lot of Grade A advice."

Arch has a difficult time telling people "no." He is often asked by classmates to pose for photos at Texas. During his first week on campus in January, a classmate discovered Arch's lost student ID, and a picture of the card was plastered all over social media by the student. "As long as you're a good guy, I'll talk to you all day," Arch said. "I think I've gotten better at saying no to some autographs because I'm not allowed to sign."

Arch aims to please to a fault, his high school coach Nelson Stewart said. It's why Cooper Manning, Arch's father, enlisted the help of Peyton and Eli, along with Stewart, to guide him through an insane, four-year recruiting process at Isidore Newman High School that saw the Longhorns win out for Arch over Georgia and Alabama. Peyton secretly shared ideas for drills and offered notes from film cut-ups during the season. "He didn't want anyone to know, but it was so helpful," Stewart said. Archie helped with Arch's mechanics, taking notes on his iPhone to share with Stewart.

Meanwhile, up to 30 college coaches each day wanted to speak to Arch, but no coach — not even the invincible Nick Saban — had direct access to him. Stewart filtered all recruiting calls and welcomed every coach into his office before they were allowed to speak to Arch. One day seven coaches had to be squeezed into a 30-minute break between classes. Some were turned away.

"They would just keep coming," Stewart told 247Sports this week. "It was my life. It was like a '30 for 30.'"

One powerful Power Five head coach sat in Stewart's office for three hours waiting for an opportunity to speak to Manning for a few minutes. Stewart didn't want to share the coach's name and embarrass him.

"The biggest reason why I was always so protective of him is because he's such a good kid," Stewart said. "He's somebody with that last name, and then you see him throw a football once, you can see a silhouette and know it was him. He's grown up with so much scrutiny and so much media attention, he has every reason to be a different kind of kid and he isn't."

It's not a surprise to learn Arch, like his uncles and grandfather, is constantly taking notes. He often asked Texas deep snapper Christian Rizzi, a native of nearby Metairie, Louisiana, questions about the Longhorns and the positives and negatives of the university during the recruiting process. "He's always thinking about football," Rizzi said. "But if you talk to him and football is not part of the conversation, he's a normal guy."

He diagrammed plays with Sarkisian over Zoom and FaceTime, including a session when he was babysitting a family friend's child in an arcade, Stewart said.

"I give him a lot of credit, because he operates on a daily basis like [Manning] is not the name on the back of his jersey," Sarkisian said. "He comes to work and works as hard or harder than anybody in our program."

Arch's roommate on road trips is Ewers, whom he constantly pesters with questions. Ewers, in turn, quizzes Arch on plays.

"I've learned a lot from him," Arch said. "He's just a good dude. I like the way he attacks his preparation and carries himself because he was a big-time recruit. He doesn't get into all the media and goes about his business and works very hard."

Manning was elevated to Ewers' backup after spending the regular season on the third team behind Maalik Murphy. Murphy departed the program and transferred to Duke after the Big 12 Championship, leaving Manning as the primary backup for the playoffs.

What's the difference today knowing he is one play away from being thrown on the field?

"I've gotten that question from my dad, too," Arch said. "I've tried the whole time to prepare like I'm the starter. That was the advice Peyton and Eli gave me before the season."

What Manning could provide Texas remains to be seen, but expectations are obviously high. Stewart, who played alongside Peyton and Cooper at Isidore Newman in the early 1990s, believes Arch is more athletic and nimble than his uncles, and his throwing motion is unmatched.

"He can get the ball out faster than any quarterback I've ever seen," Stewart said. "He doesn't even need to set his feet. It's almost art the way it comes off. I heard coaches when they were recruiting him say, when you stand behind him, you can hear it. It's a hiss that goes off the football."

The list of superlatives and high school accolades is long, but Manning is short on experience at Texas. He made his debut Nov. 24 to the delight of a punch-drunk home crowd at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, completing 2 of 5 passes for 30 yards in a 57-7 beatdown of Texas Tech. Manning flashed his wheels and his arm talent in mop-up duty, but the next pass will be the biggest of his life.

"Just stick with the process," he said. "My time, whenever that may be, it's coming."

Full interview.

You're teetering dangerously close to becoming Spambot Jr., amigo

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You're teetering dangerously close to becoming Spambot Jr., amigo

Yeah ... didn't want to necro bump the Arch thread or venture to the fb board.  He responds to questions about transferring, so guess it could have gone there ... but when we go through page after page of salad puns and shit on one of these threads, who cares.

• Hook 'Em 6

55 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Wells and others have been commenting all year on Kobe now being in the 6’2” 200 range, which is why many see him at safety at some point. 

I guess that it is possible that Kobe is standing on something but to me he looks to be a good 4" taller than Filsaime and Filsaime is listed as 6'1".

GCsB88IW8AA5Dqy.jpg.19b3d07d25b04de424cbca1565e8eb0f.jpg

With the caveat the least trustworthy source on height/weight is a sports information department, the University considers Black 6’2”, 200. As noted earlier, 9.95ers who covered him in person said he was in that size range.

IMG_2991.thumb.jpeg.80b1bb5249dc3558c8085a2eef74b580.jpeg

https://texassports.com/news/2023/12/20/football-national-signing-day-central.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1