USMNT 2021

Napoleon

11 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

At El Salvador Canada in Nashville at Honduras 

also, enjoy some Deuce

Gracias señor. Have to assume Pulisic at least plays the Canada fixture. Wonder if Chelsea is going to let him play in borderline 3rd world Latin America. 

Any news on Reyna? I haven't seen any BL teams impose rules on international fixtures yet.

(Also that vid is awesome)

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Lots of Mexican media saying he has picked USMNT.   Fingers crossed 

58 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

yep.  lots of smoke.

giphy.gif

I did NOT see this coming! (Obviously, I've stated as much several times.)

200.gif

Perhaps the USMNT upped their promise. Berhalter was showing a map to playing time, and Mexico was promising the 2022 World Cup.

Let's look back at a 16 year-old Ricardo Pepi making his MLS debut...

wrxtu3d0pms9dfp3zdto.png

(Debbie Downer says that he can still play 3 qualifiers and then switch to Mexico, but Debbie's a b*tch.)

In the meantime, this is a time for celebration.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about why Pepi would choose the USMNT and perhaps Jesus Ferreira is also going to be called in some this fall and that swayed him. I'm fairly certain that they're best buds on the team.

Vamos a ver!

I will be severely put out if this is just Lucy holding a football for Charlie Brown. I've prepared myself for not getting him for a month or two now. 

MLS All-Star Game is on tonight at 8:30pm. FS1 & Ch. 23*

*in Dallas... check your local listings for the Spanish channel in your area.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I will be severely put out if this is just Lucy holding a football for Charlie Brown. I've prepared myself for not getting him for a month or two now. 

We're going to be fucking loaded either way going forward from his age range. I wouldn't sweat it too much - regardless of how much you like the guy. Getting him would be nice but it's just gravy at this point. 

That hype vid that Ted shared shone some light on our current situation. It opens by flashing Pulisic, Dest, McKennie, Adams, Reyna. MOST countries don't have 5 players under 25 that good. The ones that do are perennial top 20 FIFA teams that are regular fixtures in the knockout rounds of the WC.

This Pepi thing is wild right now and awesome. From what I have heard it was the fact that USA guranteed the call up for this round but Mexico didn't. No idea if true but I am still not getting excited about it until it is confirmed. I fucking hope so though

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm wondering if Pulisic will be cleared. It looks like he might be back stateside based on his ig but just a guess. 

Who are our game(s) against in this window?

I would think he would be good to go, but I'm no doctor and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in years. I have a feeling that being vaccinated, he is probably going to come up with a negative test kind of quickly (at least I hope - fingers crossed).

54 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

At El Salvador Canada in Nashville at Honduras 

Fortunately none of these are red list countries for England. 

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Gracias señor. Have to assume Pulisic at least plays the Canada fixture. Wonder if Chelsea is going to let him play in borderline 3rd world Latin America

Any news on Reyna? I haven't seen any BL teams impose rules on international fixtures yet.

(Also that vid is awesome)

They won't have a choice, El Salvador and Honduras are only Amber List in England, so they can let him play.

What is interesting is what countries ARE currently red list: Costa Rica, Mexico and Panama.

We go to Panama Oct 10

Mexico Mar 24

Costa Rica Mar 30

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

This Pepi thing is wild right now and awesome. From what I have heard it was the fact that USA guranteed the call up for this round but Mexico didn't. No idea if true but I am still not getting excited about it until it is confirmed. I fucking hope so though

This is the drama soccer needs 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This is the drama soccer needs 

Yep it's fun and @ztejas is right if he did choose Mexico it wouldn't be a huge deal. Fucking crazy typing that out considering USA soccer for the last decade but I would love to see him play for us. I have followed him for awhile and of course a big FC Dallas fan so that adds to it of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

It’s happening?

Both countries can put him on the list to be called in. 

1) If he plays for the USMNT, he can play up to 3 qualifiers before he turns 23 (what I’ve read) …or maybe before 21 (what the All-Star commentator said during the first half) and still switch over to México. 

2) Since he has represented the US at the U-17 level (U-17 World Cup?), he would have to make a switch to México and I’m pretty sure that even with the new rules, that would lock him into representing México.

The rules have changed this year and I have only read articles mentioning the new rules, I have not read FIFA’’s actual press release. 

Again, I fully expect him to be on both countries’ roster list that is released tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

And Pepi wins it for MLS!!!

Hopefully seeing some of those USMNT players running to him to celebrate Robinson, Lletget, Bello, Sands, C. Roldan, Zimmerman, Cowell (maybe), and (maybe) A. Roldan with Turner in his peripheral view…

In his interview right now he just said “Tomorrow is the official announcement.”

Ugh. I don’t like drama!!

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

We're going to be fucking loaded either way going forward from his age range. I wouldn't sweat it too much - regardless of how much you like the guy. Getting him would be nice but it's just gravy at this point. 

True, but it would be nice if we had a stud 9 to tie all the other pieces together. Hell, Pepi might not even be the guy, but we need a 9 to step up. The more guys we have in the mix, the less chance of seeing Zardes out there ever again in a meaningful match. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Jive Turkey said:

True, but it would be nice if we had a stud 9 to tie all the other pieces together. Hell, Pepi might not even be the guy, but we need a 9 to step up. The more guys we have in the mix, the less chance of seeing Zardes out there ever again in a meaningful match. 

I still like Sargent. There are dozens of us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I’m still on the Sargent train, but super excited about Pepi…

Pepi just jogs around and heads back toward his onrushing teammates, just cool as a cucumber. 

He’s 18 and probably about to become a millionaire in the next 1 to 5 months and the world is his ostra.

While he can’t be officially cap tied over the next three matches, even if he plays in all three,  he has to sit for three years if he decides to switch.  

The new rules outlined at the 70th FIFA Congress are now applicable if the player:

1. Was fielded in a match in official competition at “A” international level in any kind of football for their current association
  2. At the time of being fielded for their first match in an official competition (at any level) in any kind of football for his current association, they held the nationality of the association which he wishes to represent
  3. At the time of being fielded for their last match in an official competition in any kind of football for their current association, they had not turned 21 years old
  4. Was fielded in no more than three matches at “A” international level in any kind of football for their current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition
  5. At least three years have passed since being fielded for their last match at “A” international level in any kind of football for their current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition
  6. Has never participated in any kind of football at “A” international level in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or a final tournament of a confederation competition
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

here it is, the WC qualifying roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 23/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 7/0)

DEFENDERS (10): George Bello (Atlanta United; 3/0), John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 43/3), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 11/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 6/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 45/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 12/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 9/3), James Sands (New York City FC; 6/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 64/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 17/2)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 37/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 14/1), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 29/7), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 24/7), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 25/0)

FORWARDS (8): Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg/AUT; 7/3), Konrad de la Fuente (Olympique Marseille/FRA; 1/0), Jordan Pefok (BSC Young Boys/SUI; 6/1), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 38/16), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 8/4), Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 16/5), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 13/1)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/08/usmnt-september-2022-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-roster

Good group overall.  But I am surprised to not see Cannon, who is always reliable.   And I didn't think Bello did enough in the Gold Cup to warrant a call up for this.  

Strange to only have 5 midfielders -- but maybe it means Aaronson will get some time in the midfield.  Hopefully Lletget and Roldan are only used as late game subs.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Tim Ream and Lletget?

🤮

only 5 midfielders?

🤔

Reams is Reyna’s shrink/mentor/sensei.

Roldan looked great ever he came on late in the Gold Cup against better teams than we’re going to face in this qualifying window.

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Pepi ain’t pulling a heel turn and switching to Mexico. 

Was just going to post the FC Dallas link. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

Why only call up 26?   There is no limit on the # you can call up.   Should have brought in Green, LDLT, and Hoppe

Its odd to call in Pepi and leave off Hoppe, though I wonder if him trying to secure a transfer has anything to do with it?