USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Pepi made some nice unlocking passes, but the possessions didn't amount to anything.  We weren't precise enough with runs or passes.

Our three wins are against a disorganized Jamaican team and two teams on the third game in the window.  One who is too old and one who made poor substitutions. 

We've been out coached and out played in the other games.  No third game for the next window, so let's meet and beat Mexico's quality at home and hope that Jamaica still sucks. 

Solid points. Still disagree on Richards. He was poor and was lucky to not give them a pen. Not going to judge anyone that hard on their first cap, though. 

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Richards is going to be a star but CBs are like offensive lineman - they need some seasoning before they're really ready.

Yes - and nothing I saw necessarily had me questioning his quality. I just thought he wasn't super sharp and maybe a little nervous in a big moment. I trust most posters here and a few of you have been talking him up saying he's our future at the position. 

And - to further the point - playing CB in CONCACAF is weird. Maybe not tougher than being in the BL but it's different.

Edited by ztejas

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

US$12M -to- US$15M isn’t going to get you shit, unless you are happy with 50% of his rights. 

Give everyone here more credit as the futbol board is probably the smartest on this site. You're typing out what we know. He isn't going sub 20.

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He is a natural winger or wingback. Borderline awful defensively, so I've no clue why clubs insist on playing him at right or left back. His managers obviously know more about the sport than I ever will, but I'll insist that it is unwise to play Dest in defense if there's a spot for him on the wings.

If playing a team with zero offensive threat on the wings, he can play as a fullback, because it will play out like he’s a wingback. 

If playing a team that has offensive threats on the wing, I can tell you before the game has started that he is partially responsible for giving up at least one goal if he started as a fullback.

• Like 1

Reyna missing more games is definitely an injury we can absorb.  would be great to have him, but with only 2 games in the next window, we won't have to rotate much.  we do need Pulisic, though.  Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, and Hoppe/Konrad can handle the wings in Gio's absence.

Busio getting a start for Venice right now against Fiorentina.

47 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Reyna missing more games is definitely an injury we can absorb.  would be great to have him, but with only 2 games in the next window, we won't have to rotate much.  we do need Pulisic, though.  Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, and Hoppe/ Konrad/Dest can handle the wings in Gio's absence.

Busio getting a start for Venice right now against Fiorentina.

fify 

Hoppe is a #9. Dest is a #7.

I can't get over how much better the USMNT would be if the fans could choose the lineups and positions for the players rather than Berhalter.

The USMNT and the Dallas Cowboys, two of my favorite teams, have been winning in spite of their head coaches rather than because of them and it's so unnecessarily "exciting"/ nerve wracking. It was like being a Longhorn football fan during the Mack Brown/ Greg Davis days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

34 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Now, I'm not a billionaire like Clark & Daniel's mom, nor am I in charge of running the family's multi-billion dollar business like Clark, and to a lesser extent Daniel, but . . .

I've seen enough movies and followed enough Euro soccer transfers to know that the Hunt clan are doing their damndest to get the best price that they can over the next 3 months and 11 days, because they know that Ricardo se fue... YA!... and playing as many clubs against each other as possible AND playing those clubs against an imaginary calendar extension is the best way to get the highest price possible now! Plus, they can use Pepi's massive sticker price to entice other young studs to come train at FC Dallas' academy while also using the coming year to get some kid valuable first team minutes.

$15M to $20M in their pocket NOW is much better than maybe $25M to $30M in 12 months if everything goes perfectly. They know from their Kellyn Acosta fiasco that what Jimmy Fallon says in Almost Famous (2000) is spot-fucking-on!...

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Now, I'm not a billionaire like Clark & Daniel's mom, nor am I in charge of running the family's multi-billion dollar business like Clark, and to a lesser extent Daniel, but . . .

I've seen enough movies and followed enough Euro soccer transfers to know that the Hunt clan are doing their damndest to get the best price that they can over the next 3 months and 11 days, because they know that Ricardo se fue... YA!... and playing as many clubs against each other as possible AND playing those clubs against an imaginary calendar extension is the best way to get the highest price possible now! Plus, they can use Pepi's massive sticker price to entice other young studs to come train at FC Dallas' academy while also using the coming year to get some kid valuable first team minutes.

$15M to $20M in their pocket NOW is much better than maybe $25M to $30M in 12 months if everything goes perfectly. They know from their Kellyn Acosta fiasco that what Jimmy Fallon says in Almost Famous (2000) is spot-fucking-on!...

Good post. Dallas is one of the business savvyiest cities in the world. They ain't getting caught with their pants down. Part of why I think he's going for probably 20. 

Busio with the hockey assist in Venezia's surprising 1-0 win over Fiorentina in the Lagoon.

The first touch on #14 is insane.

Also noticed that Argentina's longtime (but no longer) #1, Sergio Romero, is between the pipes for Venezia. Yet another compatriot to pull for.

🇦🇷  🇺🇸

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Busio with the hockey assist in Venezia's surprising 1-0 win over Fiorentina in the Lagoon.

The first touch on #14 is insane.

Also noticed that Argentina's longtime (but no longer) #1, Sergio Romero, is between the pipes for Venezia. Yet another compatriot to pull for.

🇦🇷  🇺🇸

That's just a beautiful goal all around.  Incredible 1st touch by Henry.  Great pass by Busio.  

I gotta get me one of the Venezia home or away shirts.  Fucking sick  

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I found this to be funny

I’m not saying that I was right when I said that “The Powers That Be”, first Pepsi and then probably NIKE, stepped in with money and persuaded Pepi not to switch to El Tri after he had likely made the decision to play for México, but before he had made the announcement, but…

He made the Pepi / Pepsi publicity thing upon being selected as a coaches choice to play in the All-Star Game (shocking!) and then announced that he was committed to the USMNT and now we have NIKE prominently displayed on his Twitter page. 

#CorporateAmericaSavedTheDay

FCF9942A-03E7-47CF-9E86-20E9BDB014D1.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Josh Sargent needs to fire his agent. How do you find a team worse than Bremen last season to sign for?

Eh. Top half of the Championship is still better than the bottom BL teams. Is he on loan? If not I'd guess he's at least making more money.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was just offering an unsolicited opinion, not responding to anything other than his continued suckage. 

Two years ago I thought that he would be the first choice #9 for the next decade or so. Basically until after the 2030 World Cup.

I felt that Weah could be useful and maybe play some wing/second striker, but that Sargent had the size, savvy, strength, skill, and composure to grab the #9 jersey and not let it go. Maybe that would have been the case if he had chosen a better club than Bremen, but that shitty choice led to another shitty choice which has led to him sucking ass for the time being. 

He needs to get the hell out of Norwich as fast as he can. Maybe go to a different German club, a French club, a Spanish club, even an Italian club, but stay away from cellar dwellers no matter where he goes. I don’t think that he currently remembers how a good club flows, nor which runs he should be making, which direction to one-touch the ball… just what it is like to be a creative member of a team that plays positive football. 

• Hook 'Em 2