USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Miles Robinson hasn’t been convincing tonight. 

He's had some lazy passes that very nearly cost us, including that one to Ruiz. Fortunately, he got on his horse and tracked the old man down.

And Antonee Robinson needs to work on his crosses. 

Saborio and Bolaños also Tico legends. All part of the 2014 WC team that bossed the "other" Group of Death along with Ruiz and an up-and-coming Joel Campbell. If I recall, England, Italy and Uruguay were also in that group, yet the Ticos won it outright. It was no fluke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dominant yet ugly ...  we'll take it.

Btw: US possession 64 percent to Costa Rica's 36 percent. It wasn't empty possession, either. Tons and tons and tons of great buildup; just lacked precision inside the box.

Shots were 12(5) : 4(3), also in the US's favor.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I thought that Aaronson looked really active like usual. He didn't make any big plays, but just so pesky all over 

he’s really good at finding open space. We don’t have enough good passers to find him frequently but he’s going to do great when we get Puli and Reyna back in the squad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

I missed the first goal running an errand with the boy.

That goal should have been disallowed for offside. 21 clearly interfered with Stefan on the play and he was offside.

Dest had run past the end line during the cross. There was no way anyone could be offside with a player in that position. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dest inarguably MotM so far.

Tip o' the cap to @ztejas, who's been clamoring for Dest since the weekend.

Adams the most impactful after Sergiño. Tyler might be our most important player, if I'm honest. He's a fucking boss back there.

I'm not always full of shit. I don't always love his play but his quality is undeniable. Barcelona is a mess but they don't let scrubs hang around. And when you have a coach who at times seems in over his head usually the best move is putting the best players on the pitch. 

40 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

He also wants more Sargent so it's a wash 

Hey. That was pre Pepi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Some REAL ugly shit in there.  But also some moments of brilliance along with a pretty dominant performance.

This is pretty accurate.  A different ref and I think CR gets a PK in the first half.  And if Ruiz had any speed we were in serious trouble in the 2nd when he had nobody but the keeper left.  I'll be grateful for those 3 pts tonight

Just watched all 3 goals with decent build up. 

The first was just an awkward play off of a great ball in. You could make a case that everyone including Steffen should have played it better but I really couldn't point out an obvious flaw after watching it 4-5 times. Kind of a "shit happens" goal. 

The Dest goal was just stupid. He brought the ball back LEFT off his LEFT foot to put it top corner. I'm serious when I say just let him play mid or on the wing if we're hesitant about his D. He's too dangerous to leave on the bench. 

I will say I think there may be some Barca shittery behind the scenes. Hard to blame Greg too much without knowing more but him getting 0' against Panama is not a good look. 

On the third - Aaronson is so awesome. And Weah correctly has the presence of mind to just put one on frame. You never know what might happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

the most talented team in a generation and we're gutting out 1 goal wins at home against a sunday squad of 40 year olds. FUCK GERGG

This is our concern, dude

Lmao. Someone explain to ESPN what an own goal is. 

Screenshot_20211013-212211_ESPN.thumb.jpg.eca2acca706697d680142e74d5558eaf.jpg

Wait - was it scored an own goal? I've seen conflicting scoring. It shouldn't be. 

As far as I could tell - Weah puts it off the keeper who then deflects it into the post. The shot was on frame to my eye - should be a good goal for Weah. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I had game on with no sound. Was there any reason Steffen was playing in place of Turner?

Gregg is easily influenced by his Columbus heart.

He doesn’t sport a mullet, but I think that he wanted to get Zardes in for his swan song and want to get Steffen in for the same reason. 

I will say that I am so much less anxious when defenders and midfielders pass the ball back to Steffen than I am with Matt Turner. (Turner’s ball “skills” scare the shit out of me.)

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wait - was it scored an own goal? I've seen conflicting scoring. It shouldn't be. 

As far as I could tell - Weah puts it off the keeper who then deflects it into the post. The shot was on frame to my eye - should be a good goal for Weah. 

I agree with you. I think it’s a terrible ruling (not just today). A shot/cross on goal that goes in should 99% of the time be credited to the player that shot it. An instantaneous rebound off the post and bounce back off the keeper is never an own goal in my opinion (I know that’s the current ruling but it sucks). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How is the keeper allowed to handle that back pass from his defender? Looked intentional. Should've been a PK, or am I nuts?

You’re nuts. A back pass is an indirect free kick not a PK, even in the box. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Anyone know where I could find a replay?

My DVR, if you want it, PM me and I will restore it and put it somewhere you can get it. 

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I agree with you. I think it’s a terrible ruling (not just today). A shot/cross on goal that goes in should 99% of the time be credited to the player that shot it. An instantaneous rebound off the post and bounce back off the keeper is never an own goal in my opinion (I know that’s the current ruling but it sucks). 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Yeah, how is a keeper tipping a ball an OG?   I don’t get it. 

Because the shot isn’t on goal. If the keeper isn’t there, that isn’t going in, it’s bouncing out into the field of play.

So I just finished watching my Recording because I too was at dinner. Great win. The Weah for superfluous third nipple move proves just how stupid LilBrohalter is. Weah did so much, even ignoring the goal he was 1,000x better than any of nipple’s starts.

like most, I agree, no way this should have been a nail biter. That said, take away that bad opener for CR and it’s a 2-0 win.

The overall performance was what I expect of our team. We made mistakes, but prevailed. And played with some fire under our asses (how much of that was the early goal for CR though?)  Our stars shined  it was great.

That Dest goal - WHOLE LEE SHIT. A beauty. Slightly reminiscent of Jones in the World Cup.

this team still needs work. But we aren’t firing LilBrohalter anytime soon, so I hope they grow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was born in '84, and i grew up playing soccer and watching the USMNT, and as i recall it was generally Eddie Pope, Cobi Jones, and 21 white dudes, with maybe a Mexican-American or two thrown in. I think it's really, really cool, that black and brown kids across this country can tune in to a match and see a bunch of faces that remind them of their own.

now if only we could get those faces a coach with a fucking pulse and a clue. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1