Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

And this is why I laugh hysterically at anyone who thinks trading back is a good idea with this front office. They are clueless fucking morons. The last 2 picks have been very bad. But hey, that's why we are one of 3 teams in the NFC who has not been past the divisional round in over 25 years.

The guy from Iowa was graded as an end of the draft guy.

They have no direction. At all.

The Cowboys draft room is replete with sad, weak-minded, talentless cunts.
Stephen is picking up right where his dad left off.

And don't let McClay off with a pass. I scratch my head at why people think he's some guru. He's right in the middle of this shit year after year.

But a franchise who chooses Taco over Watt, this is what we can expect yearly.

I mean I've seen them draft different positions than I'd prefer but they are usually taking guys in the realm of the round/slot they are in but I can't remember 3 what the fuck obvious late 5-7 round guys taken in the top 100 or so picks.

fuck em all.

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this was all Dan Quinn.

Kind of agree with this. It’s one thing to take players you like, but we didn’t get good value today outside of the Joseph pick. You had 4 bites and you got one pick that is universally thought of as good to decent value.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Stephen is picking up right where his dad left off.

And don't let McClay off with a pass.

stephen is borderline special needs. and there’s a reason mcclay hasn’t been hired away by anyone over the last 10+ years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Wait taco was a “bad kind of guy” or just a bad draft pick?

Gregory wasn’t a bad character guy either. Wasn’t a good pick(in a long line of bad 2nd rounders) he just had issues with weed. Wasn’t a criminal or some shit.

Hill was probably the best case and you missed him. But how many other draft picks were “bad character guys”

Also we’re talking the DRAFT. Not all their offseason moves. The cowboys have not added “dawgs”, especially on defense, because of Garrett’s philosophy. The DRAFT is where they made the mistakes of looking at “character over talent”.

Talk about a stupid comment. Jesus you walked right into that.

Idiot 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

The Cowboys haven't drafted a safety before the  4th round in 8 drafts yet for some reason we as fans continue to be surprised when they don't draft highly rated safeties with their top 100 picks.  It's clear as day they don't value safeties.  And honestly the league doesn't seem to value them either.  Top rated safeties go later than predicted every year in the last few drafts.

That's no different than trusting a grandparent with dementia at this point.  They just drafted guys who were predicted to be udfa's or backup/special teams contributors on the 2nd day.

Edited by kevwun

And lol at taking Matt Miller’s opinion as anything more than worthless. The fact he had them rated so lowly actually makes me more confident in the picks.
It's not just him. The consensus of everyone who covers the draft said that our draft has been anything but head scratching to say the least. Especially the 3rd round. All of those guys were huge reaches. There was still so much better players were left on the board.

And this is on top of this front office being jumped by other teams so they could get their guys but we stand pat. Did we even draft one guy we really wanted? We were always one pick too late. We had 5 picks in the top 100. I would have much rather traded a few of those to get guys who will start day 1. But now we got 3 guys who might not even make the team or if they do, they will be low contribution.

This is shaping up to be the depth and special teams draft a decade ago.

stephen is borderline special needs. and there’s a reason mcclay hasn’t been hired away by anyone over the last 10+ years. 
Precisely. This fanbase for some reason values McClay really high. I'm guessing it stems from the offensive side of the ball. Even though that hasn't exactly been a great strategy i.e. Going all in to build some mammoth OL. Using so much draft capital.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
8 hours ago, futureman said:

Precisely. This fanbase for some reason values McClay really high. I'm guessing it stems from the offensive side of the ball. Even though that hasn't exactly been a great strategy i.e. Going all in to build some mammoth OL. Using so much draft capital.

It seems like every other these he has a good draft and then a terrible draft. I think it’s safe to say he’s gotten really lucky in a few drafts, and then it’s evened out in 2017, and possibly this year. Because the jury is still out, but last year appears to be a pretty good draft. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Name the good drafts McClay has had on defense. He can't draft defense for shit.

Best thing I heard about the two DL guys was that they have high floors. One should help replace Dorrance Armstrong. The other one can be a nice rotational piece.

The UDFA corner was a Dan Quinn pick. He liked his height and ball production. Dude had one of the worst 3 cones in the draft.

Giants, Redskins, and Eagles have put some dominant defensive lines together over the years. Got the Giants two Super Bowls, Fletcher Cox and them got the Eagles one. Washington has a top 3 DL in the NFL right now.

Year after year the Cowboys Dline is held together with gum and tissue paper. Idk maybe these 5th round talents will rise up.

12 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If the first two picks work out, the rest of the draft doesn’t matter IMO.

I disagree. roster depth is a necessity for teams if they really want to compete and we need to hit on more of these cheap rookies. 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

I disagree. roster depth is a necessity for teams if they really want to compete and we need to hit on more of these cheap rookies. 

Let me rephrase what I said. These first two picks need to be studs, and high level starters through the life of their rookie deals. We need other players to be competent and help out, but you need your top 50 picks to hit big. So I don’t disagree with you.

The Cowboys went a round too soon for their first two third-round picks, defensive linemen Odighizuwa and Golston. They are solid players -- and this organization is going all-in to try to improve its defense -- but I had Day 3 grades on both. Elsewhere, Wright is my 44th-ranked corner. Let me say that again -- the Cowboys took my 44th-ranked corner in the third round. I'm really surprised Wright went here, because I didn't see a starter when I watched his tape.

Kiper weighs in...

Wright had the worst short shuttle of any DB in the draft. Maybe change of direction doesn't matter for an NFL cornerback now? 

Seems like when Rod Mellineli was allowed to take some pet cats and they all flopped.

Actually think Dallas is a decent drafting team most years but this looks bad on paper.

7 minutes ago, pacman said:

To pile on of sorts, linebackers are going much later than originally thought. Had they passed on Parsons, they likely could have easily gotten a better value LB in later rounds.

Thought JOK and Nick Bolton were really good LB prospects. Went in the middle of the 2nd round.

24 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Let me rephrase what I said. These first two picks need to be studs, and high level starters through the life of their rookie deals. We need other players to be competent and help out, but you need your top 50 picks to hit big. So I don’t disagree with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

these guys are fucking morons.  I could deal with the Osa pick but Golston over Perkins(it can't be the drug thing for Perkins as we drafted 2 potential charcter issues) and the UDFA Corner are beyond moronic.  They are players that you stick in a round/pick and if they are there great if not, no loss.  we essentially traded up to get them. you don't do that for round 6-7 players. 

can't wait to see our UDFA/3rd round corner with no change of direction ability try to cover Devonta Smith.

This is all on Stephen for listening to Dan fucking Quinn, the guy that blew a 28 point lead to Brady.  There is no way they take those guys without him chiming in.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 hours ago, futureman said:

It values him high because before he came along we'd do things like draft for special teams and take Quincy Carter in the 2nd round.  In other words, McClay's esteem is all relative to the absolute shit show that took place when Jerry was truly running things.  

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It values him high because before he came along we'd do things like draft for special teams and take Quincy Carter in the 2nd round.  In other words, McClay's esteem is all relative to the absolute shit show that took place when Jerry was truly running things.  

good point. now we are taking tall UDFA corners in the 3rd round so.....progress?

If these players don't pan out maybe they should just give up drafting defense. They're as bad at it as Jon Daniels is drafting pitch... Well, anyone. 

Just restock offense every draft and spend almost all non Dak free agent money on defense. It'll never work but at least they could act like they know how to draft when they're finding good TEs and OL in the 2nd/3rd round

• Fuck You 13