Andrew Yang announces he is running for Mayor of NYC!

PenelopeWitherspoon

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

. When taken with everything else Mr. Yang has said it shows a human being with a complete lack of interpersonal skills and empathy. 

No, it just shows that we have a long way to go before an AI understands what it means to be a human being.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yang rules. If you people want to gaslight, gatekeep and democratboss him to death, so be it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Effectively governing the city of New York requires the ability to manage a Byzantine bureaucracy, a military-sized police department, and a mass-transit system in budgetary crisis, to name just a few of the top tasks. Other than being “politically incorrect”, is there a single experience in this cement head’s life that makes him qualified for this job?

Fortunately he’s plummeting in the polls as people start paying a modicum of attention to the race.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Effectively governing the city of New York requires the ability to manage a Byzantine bureaucracy, a military-sized police department, and a mass-transit system in budgetary crisis, to name just a few of the top tasks. Other than being “politically incorrect”, is there a single experience in this cement head’s life that makes him qualified for this job?

Fortunately he’s plummeting in the polls as people start paying a modicum of attention to the race.

yang would be terrible. dude basically is rehashing 90s Republican policies but as Democrat.

i dont get his appeal except he seems "cool" and "hip"

8 hours ago, LABEVO said:

yang would be terrible. dude basically is rehashing 90s Republican policies but as Democrat.

i dont get his appeal except he seems "cool" and "hip"

Thanks for reminding me about Bob Dole’s campaigning for UBI and drug legalization and full decriminalization! I had forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Thanks for reminding me about Bob Dole’s campaigning for UBI and drug legalization and full decriminalization! I had forgotten.

Yang's version of UBI sucks ass. I bet Bob Dole would actually love it.

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Our tech overlords are just the absolute dumbest fucking people.

I'm not a huge fan of Yang but I don't get the 'tech overlord' association.  He did a couple of tech startups during the dotcom boom, but nothing overtly tech since then.  Or am I missing something?  I have an idea of why he gets this label...but I really don't want to play that card.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, YChang said:

NYers, is he even the front runner  at this time? Or just the one getting the most notoriety?

It’s him and Eric Adams right now. I saw Adams out campaigning on 125th last week when I was there. He’s ex-NYPD and has no reforms in mind as yet that would do anything to change the department. He is also in favor of Stop and Frisk if I remember right.

Honestly I am in favor of a ban on men holding the top office in the city because they learned nothing from the protests of last summer. I guess at least Adams did not abandon his home to head to another one in the suburbs though so he’s got that going for him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol

Peep his eyes cutting away at the end.

He was stalling till a staffer could scribble the name of a Jay Z song on a cue card for him.

Like any of the NYC people who post on here know any Jay-Z. I’d bet a thousand bucks UpperWestside has never been to Carbone, either.

Guest Lobo

If I were a Democrat candidate for something, and I was trying to appear "hip" or "multi-cultured"...and somebody asked me what my favorite song or movie is by an artist I don't actually follow...I'd just own it and say, "Oh, I like they equally.  Jay-Z is just very special to me, very personal.  I don't like to talk about it.  Very personal."  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

I thought the girl from MSNBC was running, Abby or Maya something. 

Maya Wiley is on the ballot. She will likely get a vote from me. Which position in the order I do not yet know. I am trying to set aside that she worked for De Blasio and look at her based on her own ideas. 

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

He was stalling till a staffer could scribble the name of a Jay Z song on a cue card for him.

I joke about an AI not being able to put themselves in a human being's shoes, but rather than asking himself what a mentally ill person is dealing with, he pivoted and went to people who deal with them (cops, experts, whatever).

That's pretty much what some tech bro types will do - rather than trying to actually understand a problem, they'll just ask somebody else how they deal with it.

Same with the Jay Z question.  He should have just said he couldn't name one, but he could cite multiple versions of the Baby Shark song or whatever, but no, he sought out an answer from a staffer.

• Hook 'Em 1

As it stands right now, 1 is Kathryn Garcia. 2 is Yang (he says stupid shit, but I also think he is quick to learn and if he won would bring in people like Kathryn Garcia...he recognizes her value).

Don't have anyone beyond that, but the two guys who thought the average home price in Brooklyn is 100k...lol.

So Yang is a nerd that can’t name a Jay Z song? Perhaps he’s culturally out of sync with many nyc residents but that is a weak headline against him.

I’m 50 and while I recognize, by hearing, many popular songs over the last decade or two, song titles escape me. I’m a big foo fighters fan, but I would struggle to name 5+ songs off the top of my head even though I “know” dozens of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol

That might be the easiest question anyone has ever been asked.  Just say New York you bozo.  2+2 type shit...

Anyways, this is high comedy.  Let’s see more of his hot takes on policing and the mentally ill.  Jesus.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So Yang is a nerd that can’t name a Jay Z song? Perhaps he’s culturally out of sync with many nyc residents but that is a weak headline against him.
I’m 50 and while I recognize, by hearing, many popular songs over the last decade or two, song titles escape me. I’m a big foo fighters fan, but I would struggle to name 5+ songs off the top of my head even though I “know” dozens of them.
I can't name a Jay Z song. I'm a white woman in my 40's. I can, however, name Run DMC and Snoop Dog songs.

That might be the easiest question anyone has ever been asked.  Just say New York you bozo.  2+2 type shit...
Anyways, this is high comedy.  Let’s see more of his hot takes on policing and the mentally ill.  Jesus.  
Technically, New York is an Alicia Keys song featuring Jay Z. I wouldn't categorize that as a Jay Z song. I believe she wrote it as well.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Umm, the transit system is run by the state, not the city, which is part of the massive fucking problem.  That is why it is shitty that DeBlasio and Cuomo act like third graders.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
23 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Technically, New York is an Alicia Keys song featuring Jay Z. I wouldn't categorize that as a Jay Z song. I believe she wrote it as well.

I can name way too many Jay Z songs but for that interview in his shoes you name Ny state of mind then go into the if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere...was just too easy.  

24 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I can name way too many Jay Z songs but for that interview in his shoes you name Ny state of mind then go into the if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere...was just too easy.  

Eh, not if you are not a Jay Z fan. Sorry, but that is pretty fucking weak criticism.  

I am not a Yang apologist.  I know he has his flaws.  All the candidates do.  But I also know he is putting in the work.  He is going to a lot of communities and talking with people.  I have not seen a lot of the other candidates doing similar things. Garcia still is my #1, but I am holding Yang at #2 as no one else has really done anything to wow me.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Why do you keep mentioning Carbone?

I don’t know who or what that Carbone reference is about. I hear that and I can only think of Toni Carbone from Catholic Girls (“With a tongue like a cow, she can make you go ‘Wow’”) which I foreshadowed in the Jerusalem thread when I posted Jewish Princess. (Again, NSFW.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Umm, the transit system is run by the state, not the city, which is part of the massive fucking problem.  That is why it is shitty that DeBlasio and Cuomo act like third graders.

Can't disagree with that. Which is good, because it is one less task on a mile long list that he is woefully underqualified to tackle.

In any event, it sounds like we both have Garcia at the top of our ticket. That gives me hope, as it seems (though I could be wrong) like you may skew more towards the Bloomberg side of the party whereas I skew more to the Warren/Sanders side of the party. Even my most "woke" friends have Garcia in their top 3, because she just seems like she would be damn good at the job of managing a major city, rather than a political grandstander vying for the national spotlight.    

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

57 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Can't disagree with that. Which is good, because it is one less task on a mile long list that he is woefully underqualified to tackle.

In any event, it sounds like we both have Garcia at the top of our ticket. That gives me hope, as it seems (though I could be wrong) like you may skew more towards the Bloomberg side of the party whereas I skew more to the Warren/Sanders side of the party. Even my most "woke" friends have Garcia in their top 3, because she just seems like she would be damn good at the job of managing a major city, rather than a political grandstander vying for the national spotlight.    

I am definitely not a progressive, and I do not believe in demonizing success.  I think Warren/Sanders/AOC have good ideas, but at the end of the day, you have to pay for those ideas, and quite frankly, my tax burden is fucking ridiculous as it is.  I tend to find a lot of waste in government, but especially in New York State and City.  Some of that has to do with the mob still having sway via Unions and other ways.  Then you have fucksticks like Cuomo who run the state like the mob and an ineffectual asshat like DeBlasio in charge of the city....sigh.

• Hook 'Em 1