UTRGV commits to add FCS football by 2024

Beau Vine

45 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I highly doubt any Mexican HS Team, even recruited nationwide, would beat a “solid” 4-5A TXHS team, let alone the 6A’s of just North Shore, Katy, or any team from greater D/FW.

Hook’em!!!

Not their high school team. Their college team would. The age & size gap alone would be hard to overcome for an American team. They famously beat Cam Newton when he was at blinn. 

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Monterrey tech also has a feeder private high school and their team is who comes and plays the American high schools. Their college level team is called the Borregos Salvajes (Wild Rams… high school team has same name iirc) and they’d skullfuck any American high school team. They’re the class of Mexico football and I’d say they’re about the level of an American NCAA D2 team. Not quite FCS level though. They’d really be a perfect scrimmage opponent for UTRGV. 

Yea they played TAMUK a few years ago up in Jerryworld.  They got beat up pretty good in the first half, but came back strong in the second and gave the Javs a scare.  

27 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yea they played TAMUK a few years ago up in Jerryworld.  They got beat up pretty good in the first half, but came back strong in the second and gave the Javs a scare.  

and a&i has sucked for more than several years. years ago they were kinda good.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, msucolt45 said:

I highly doubt any Mexican HS Team, even recruited nationwide, would beat a “solid” 4-5A TXHS team, let alone the 6A’s of just North Shore, Katy, or any team from greater D/FW.

Hook’em!!!

To paraphrase the words of Scipio Tex from long ago, Chuy aint' covering LaJarametrious.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

QB of the future

United has had QBs with better stats in the past but none with this kids measurables. He’s a Laredo giant at 6’1. 

looooooooooooot of great south Texas qb’s, but being ‘5-6’ holds them down from dominating college 

• Hook 'Em 1

Love the orange helmet, it’s actually really good. I’d like the gray without a bevel on the V. 

I don’t have a claim because I didn’t go to the school, but put me down as one who wishes they’d have kept the UTPA name and Broncho brand. UTPA especially is a good name. 

I am usually anti “special unis” but they need to do a UTPA “fauxback.” 

I remain mystified as to who they will recruit to be competitive at the FCS level. Where is the hook here to get the athlete that would otherwise go to Sam or Stephen F. Maybe they need to build a stadium near the Laguna Madre and a training facility on SPI. 

22 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Love the orange helmet, it’s actually really good. I’d like the gray without a bevel on the V. 

I don’t have a claim because I didn’t go to the school, but put me down as one who wishes they’d have kept the UTPA name and Broncho brand. UTPA especially is a good name. 

I am usually anti “special unis” but they need to do a UTPA “fauxback.” 

I remain mystified as to who they will recruit to be competitive at the FCS level. Where is the hook here to get the athlete that would otherwise go to Sam or Stephen F. Maybe they need to build a stadium near the Laguna Madre and a training facility on SPI. 

The most dominant teams at that level are in the Dakotas and Montana. They’ll find recruits willing to come.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, Helobious said:

Not their high school team. Their college team would. The age & size gap alone would be hard to overcome for an American team. They famously beat Cam Newton when he was at blinn. 

I had no idea they had a college team.  That's cool.  Would love to read about the game against Newton if you have a link handy.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The most dominant teams at that level are in the Dakotas and Montana. They’ll find recruits willing to come.

They’ll get players, we will see the caliber. A surprising proportion of the players for those teams up north are from nearby and the same state, and those programs are the Crown Jewels of those states. They invest a lot in them.

The fact is that Texas underperforms at the college level from FBS to the DII level. I believe we are oversubscribed with college football programs. We are a big state, but per capita we are not near the top for DI recruits. And we are also picked over by everyone, Texas kids don’t fly under the radar. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Because they're developing under recruited small town Midwest farm kids, primarily on the OL, TE, and QB. I don't think the RGV has similar demographics.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They’ll get players, we will see the caliber. A surprising proportion of the players for those teams up north are from nearby and the same state, and those programs are the Crown Jewels of those states. They invest a lot in them.

The fact is that Texas underperforms at the college level from FBS to the DII level. I believe we are oversubscribed with college football programs. We are a big state, but per capita we are not near the top for DI recruits. And we are also picked over by everyone, Texas kids don’t fly under the radar. 

Kids in the 4 largest metros in Texas won’t get overlooked, but West Texas and South Texas can get overlooked. Generally they are overlooked for good reason because the talent isn’t there or the demographic is mostly diminutive, but occasionally an Aaron Jones will get overlooked and will end up playing for the local school since no one else offered. It’s going to be tough for UTRGV no doubt, but it’s certainly doable to be competitive if they evaluate and recruit at a high level l. It wouldn’t hurt for the valley coaches to take as recruiting trip up north in the Midwest to find those overlooked big men that are looking to play in a warmer climate near the coast

Edited by perfectchaos007

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Because they're developing under recruited small town Midwest farm kids, primarily on the OL, TE, and QB. I don't think the RGV has similar demographics.

Are you suggesting that an offensive line full of 5'8" dudes won't cut it?

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you suggesting that an offensive line full of 5'8" dudes won't cut it?

Ale Aparicio & the alphabets would like a word. That’s a big o-line for most any high school

*I already completed my Helobious Poll preview and spoiler alert, I have them winning the region & going to state. Probably going to drop it a week before the season. This year I did one for the SA area too.

Edited by Helobious
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Kids in the 4 largest metros in Texas won’t get overlooked, but West Texas and South Texas can get overlooked. Generally they are overlooked for good reason because the talent isn’t there or the demographic is mostly diminutive, but occasionally an Aaron Jones will get overlooked and will end up playing for the local school since no one else offered. It’s going to be tough for UTRGV no doubt, but it’s certainly doable to be competitive if they evaluate and recruit at a high level l. It wouldn’t hurt for the valley coaches to take as recruiting trip up north in the Midwest to find those overlooked big men that are looking to play in a warmer climate near the coast

I’ve been a RGV HS sports fanatic all my life, so yeah. Some kids get overlooked but we really are lucky if we get a kid on an FCS roster from our really good teams. One thing I will say, I think playing close to home will be a help for a lot of our athletes. 

I will be pulling for them and get some merch. I do hope they kill it. 

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve been a RGV HS sports fanatic all my life, so yeah. Some kids get overlooked but we really are lucky if we get a kid on an FCS roster from our really good teams. One thing I will say, I think playing close to home will be a help for a lot of our athletes. 

I will be pulling for them and get some merch. I do hope they kill it. 

Robert Garza is probably the most recent overlooked product from the RGV via Rio Hondo.   He went to TAMUK up the road and got drafted in the 4th round by the Falcons, but probably had the most impact on the Bears.   He was one of those who should’ve been on an FCS roster.  

UTRGV when it was Pan Am back in the day had no problem recruiting talent to come play down there for basketball and baseball.   They had some pretty darn good teams in the 1970s and 80s especially on the diamond.    It wouldn’t shock me if they exceed expectations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Robert Garza is probably the most recent overlooked product from the RGV via Rio Hondo.   He went to TAMUK up the road and got drafted in the 4th round by the Falcons, but probably had the most impact on the Bears.   He was one of those who should’ve been on an FCS roster.  

UTRGV when it was Pan Am back in the day had no problem recruiting talent to come play down there for basketball and baseball.   They had some pretty darn good teams in the 1970s and 80s especially on the diamond.    It wouldn’t shock me if they exceed expectations.

Yep, I remember Garza well. Damn good Bobcat and one of the last of the generations of A&I/TAMUK draft factory players.  

Agree that he was good enough to be on a FCS roster but honestly at the time he was playing, he likely had a better shot at getting noticed and drafted as a Javelina. 

I went to summer football camp at TAMUK back in the mid-1990s and the “counselor” roster was SICK.  Jermaine Mayberry (Eagles 1st rounder), Kevin Dogins (UDFA but about a decade in the league) and Jorge Diaz (UDFA and later Tampa Bay starter). 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep, I remember Garza well. Damn good Bobcat and one of the last of the generations of A&I/TAMUK draft factory players.  

Agree that he was good enough to be on a FCS roster but honestly at the time he was playing, he likely had a better shot at getting noticed and drafted as a Javelina. 

I went to summer football camp at TAMUK back in the mid-1990s and the “counselor” roster was SICK.  Jermaine Mayberry (Eagles 1st rounder), Kevin Dogins (UDFA but about a decade in the league) and Jorge Diaz (UDFA and later Tampa Bay starter). 

Yep.   And Mayberry was another small South Texas town kid from Floresville.    Not in the RGV, but still part of the whole region that historically gets overlooked.  

I lived in the RGV for 2 years in the early 90s when I was in high school.  I loved it down there.  But I love to hunt and fish in the bay.  The dove hunting and inshore fishing were incredible.  And could be done on the cheap.  I used to keep my pump 20 gauge and a case of shells in the trunk of my beater and would go hunt dove right after school.  Easy limits.  We would also go to Mexico for dinners once a week.  I have a lot of fond memories from those days.  Really enjoyed the people down there.  The high school football was very competitive.

As a little kid, we used to "vacation" at Rancho Viejo.  It was a very nice golf course in the early 80s and had a great pool.  Not sure what it is like today.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

https://goutrgv.com/news/2023/11/27/football-hires-marco-regalado-as-assistant-coach.aspx

RIO GRANDE VALLEY – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) head football coach Travis Bush announced on Monday the hiring of Marco Regalado, who spent the last two seasons as the executive director of player personnel & recruiting innovation at Rice, as an assistant coach.

Regalado helped Rice sign their highest-rated recruiting class ever according to 247Sports, with three members of the 2023 recruiting class ranking among the top eight in 247Sports' database to ever sign with Rice. He also helped bring a strong Texas presence to Rice, signing 14 players from the state.

This past summer, Regalado gained experience with the Jacksonville Jaguars as part of the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship.

Regalado was named to FootballScoop's Minority Watch List/Rising Stars in 2022 and the 247Sports 30 Under 30 Coaches List in 2021.

"Coach Regalado was a no-brainer for us, and we're fired up that he chose to join our coaching staff,'" Bush said. "He is a south Texas native and has great ties to the Rio Grande Valley. Marco has been well known and respected across the RGV and the state of Texas for years and has recently expanded that same reputation across the nation in Division I football. He has proven to build amazing relationships with recruits, families, and Texas high school coaches, and his experience in the recruiting departments at Rice and Washington State will add great value to our organization."

Prior to joining Rice, Regalado spent one year at Washington State, where he was promoted twice in less than one year. Regalado started as a recruiting assistant, was elevated to director of on-campus recruiting, and then promoted to director of recruiting. During Regalado's tenure, Washington State won the Apple Cup with a victory over arch-rival Washington, appeared in the Sun Bowl, and doubled the number of recruits from Texas in 2022 from the previous year's class.

Regalado spent the 2020 season as the running backs coach/recruiting coordinator at V.R. Eaton High School in Fort Worth, helping the team to its best season in school history with a 9-4 record while a pair of his running backs combined for over 2,000 yards of total offense.

He was the special teams coordinator/linebackers coach at PSJA Memorial in 2019 and worked in a variety of roles at Mathis High School in 2018. Regalado also spent two seasons at Santa Gertrudis High School in Kingsville from 2016-17, helping the team to win its first district title in 2016.

Regalado began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Texas A&M-Kingsville, coaching on defensive line from 2014-16.

"The Rio Grande Valley is a special place for me – it's home," Regalado said "I played high school games all over the Valley, and I've coached in and against RGV schools. I always hoped my journey would bring me back home, and when Coach Bush called, I knew this was the perfect opportunity to help him build the Vaqueros into a respected and feared program. I am so honored and grateful to Coach Bush, Mr. Conque, and the entire UTRGV family. I can't wait to get boots on the ground and help launch football at the preeminent Division I school in South Texas."

Originally from Zapata, Regalado earned a Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sports Science from Texas State in 2014, where he founded and served as president of the Texas State club football team which played semi-pro teams in Texas. He earned his Master of Education in Educational Administration from Texas A&M-Kingsville in 2016.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

That's a big dude for a military school

Yeah he’s huge, originally from Houston I think. When I was living there MMA was basically where rich families sent their fuck up kids. Not sure if it’s still like that or not. 

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Two really good HS QBs in that class, but they are going to get Eddie Lee Marburger via the portal, right?

That’d be a sweet homecoming, he’s been completely passed up by McCown there at UTSA. On the plus side David Amador caught his first ever TD in the bowl game. He’s not a valley dude but I’ll support most any homie. 

Also is a 12.2 average punt yardage good? 

On 12/21/2023 at 2:10 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah he’s huge, originally from Houston I think. When I was living there MMA was basically where rich families sent their fuck up kids. Not sure if it’s still like that or not. 

That’d be a sweet homecoming, he’s been completely passed up by McCown there at UTSA. On the plus side David Amador caught his first ever TD in the bowl game. He’s not a valley dude but I’ll support most any homie. 

Also is a 12.2 average punt yardage good? 

I’ve told this story before, but when you were really young and before, MMA played an independent schedule against mostly valley big school teams. They played Harlingen, San Benito, and later South every year and they just got wasted each year. 

Some wealthy MMA alums decided they were sick of it and embarked on a project. They’d promise to get grades up for kids needing to get their scores to play NCAA ball and went out and recruited D1 level athletes in football and basketball. They’d even take kids after their senior year and play them as long as they didn’t graduate. They recruited Nigerians to play hoops. All legit because they didn’t play in a league. 

And for a few years it was just a BLOODBATH.  They made “City Championship” banners and would just kill every team in the valley.  They then recruited a kid from HHS who was a good DB but had grade problems and that was the end of the fun.  Valley schools told them to go to hell and didn’t schedule them.  They kept it up for a while, playing a crazy schedule with teams far away but eventually packed it in and joined one of the private leagues and cut that shit out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ve told this story before, but when you were really young and before, MMA played an independent schedule against mostly valley big school teams. They played Harlingen, San Benito, and later South every year and they just got wasted each year. 

Some wealthy MMA alums decided they were sick of it and embarked on a project. They’d promise to get grades up for kids needing to get their scores to play NCAA ball and went out and recruited D1 level athletes in football and basketball. They’d even take kids after their senior year and play them as long as they didn’t graduate. They recruited Nigerians to play hoops. All legit because they didn’t play in a league. 

And for a few years it was just a BLOODBATH.  They made “City Championship” banners and would just kill every team in the valley.  They then recruited a kid from HHS who was a good DB but had grade problems and that was the end of the fun.  Valley schools told them to go to hell and didn’t schedule them.  They kept it up for a while, playing a crazy schedule with teams far away but eventually packed it in and joined one of the private leagues and cut that shit out. 

If I recall, that was back in the mid 90s or so?      Another thing that helped end it was they got in a big brawl with one school down there with those same players.     

Now they fill up their  schedules with Progresso, Santa Rosa, etc.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If I recall, that was back in the mid 90s or so?      Another thing that helped end it was they got in a big brawl with one school down there with those same players.     

Now they fill up their  schedules with Progresso, Santa Rosa, etc.  

Yeah, that was mid-90s shenanigans. I remember the fight, too.  The Harlingen schools drew the line at grabbing kids from the town, and it really was bullshit to have these kids that could have been in college all there just to play ball. Kind of IMG-like but shadier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, that was mid-90s shenanigans. I remember the fight, too.  The Harlingen schools drew the line at grabbing kids from the town, and it really was bullshit to have these kids that could have been in college all there just to play ball. Kind of IMG-like but shadier. 

At least MMA pivoted real fast after all that hit the fan and went back to being like the movie TAPS....      

On 12/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah I had heard people talk about how they “used to be good” before, never knew how or why. I just remember the MMA kids being easy to spot around town on weekends because of their uniform and haircuts. I know nowadays they’ll still play the Harlingen JV sometimes, and usually lose. One of the Morton’s is their head coach now.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 11:13 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah I had heard people talk about how they “used to be good” before, never knew how or why. I just remember the MMA kids being easy to spot around town on weekends because of their uniform and haircuts. I know nowadays they’ll still play the Harlingen JV sometimes, and usually lose. One of the Morton’s is their head coach now.

MMA used to beat Harlingen High and McAllen high when they had the post graduates playing.  This was early 90s.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:54 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Interesting. I remember them beating the shit out of La Feria a couple times, and knowing they were good (I would've been in elementary in the late 90s, but already loved football would go to many LF games).... then by the time I got to high school (and moved back to Houston), they crumbled. I guess the late 90s would've been them just scheduling whoever was left over. Never knew what happened to the program.

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Bush has gotten like 5 of his former NB Canyon players to commit. Which is, uh, certainly a choice. Not exactly the first school I’d raid. 

Spots gotta be filled.

I mean, you take the 5 that's at the bar when it closes. No sense waiting for a 10 when the music stops.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

4 commits from Steele, Boerne, and SV kids the past couple days. He’s really raking in the “SA/CenTex players not quite good enough to go to UTSA” market. Not a bad niche for an FCS level program honestly. 

What's the drive like 4-5 hours home?

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

4 commits from Steele, Boerne, and SV kids the past couple days. He’s really raking in the “SA/CenTex players not quite good enough to go to UTSA” market. Not a bad niche for an FCS level program honestly. 

I'm excited to see a Valley team grow. It looks like it'll be a rough few years to start though.