Policy shit I like (for non liberals)- in the spirit of unity

Wulaw Horn

In the spirit of unity and coming together as a country thought I'd start a policy shit I like on here.  Only rule is you can't be a liberal to bring that in here- this is stuff that reaches across the aisle- or good policy that isn't on a leftists dream list.  Shit that a lot of the country can (or should) probably get behind.  I didn't vote for Trump and had total contempt for him but said I'd be happy when he did shit I like and accomplished shit I liked.  Same with Obama.  Same now with BIden.

DACA peeps can now get a mortgage again.  This was the case. I was working with some dreamers in 2018 and they were about a week away from closing when the brakes were put on this program that allowed the dreamers to be eligible. It was really really heartbreaking.  And in the next year I talked to about half a dozen people that were good people that you'd want to see get a home (side note- I'm shocked at how many people are officially married to non- citizens- and have been for many years- can someone explain that to me? I thought if your marriage wasn't a sham it was a basic auto ticket to citizenship- why is that such a thing).

Anyway- I like that this happened in the first 24 hours.  

I hope- from my industry- they get rid of the 50 basis point adverse market fee on refinances soon.  The prior admin saw rates go down and figured they could just fleece the consumer to the tune of thousands of dollars over the life of the loan (b/c why not) in a desire to shore up fanny/freddy balance sheets and take them private. Dumb, dumb, dumb policy that would be anti consumer, as well as killing a lot of the little guys, and end up with everyone getting their mortgage from Chase, BofA or Wells.  Anyway, I'm sure that dreams dead so hopefully they clean that up when they have a chance to get around to it.  It can't possibly be at the top of the priority list- but I'd like to see that box checked eventually.

Anyway- that's my first unity- anyone else have anything feel free to add.  In the spirit of this thing this isn't the place to jack off about getting back into the Paris accords or something like that.  That goes in the 2021 agenda thread of doom/dominance.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Now that the silly wall has been cancelled, I eagerly look forward to the two parties coming together to fund AI powered self-driven drones and Boston Scientific border control robots, who will scour the border, looking for illegal immigrants to pump full of lead. 

• Haha 3

Some kind of college tuition reform.  Which might mean student loan forgiveness or a cap and definitely would include some sort of reform of student loans.  That might take care of tuition inflation by itself, or possibly more aggressive measures are needed.

The student loan issue is federal in nature, so should be the solution.

The tuition is probably more state in nature (public and private schools racing to the top) and I would prefer something that incentivizes states to freeze or reduce tuition/increase support.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In the spirit of unity and coming together as a country thought I'd start a policy shit I like on here.  Only rule is you can't be a liberal to bring that in here- this is stuff that reaches across the aisle- or good policy that isn't on a leftists dream list.  Shit that a lot of the country can (or should) probably get behind. 

Anyway- that's my first unity- anyone else have anything feel free to add.  In the spirit of this thing this isn't the place to jack off about getting back into the Paris accords or something like that.  That goes in the 2021 agenda thread of doom/dominance.  

I have no idea what this means. Can I get a listing of topics that are forbidden in this thread as "liberal?" Why exactly are mortgages for Dreamers not included on "liberal" side?

• Like 4

And in the next year I talked to about half a dozen people that were good people that you'd want to see get a home (side note- I'm shocked at how many people are officially married to non- citizens- and have been for many years- can someone explain that to me? I thought if your marriage wasn't a sham it was a basic auto ticket to citizenship- why is that such a thing).

The waiting period from green card to citizenship is five years. It’s actually a relatively straightforward and affordable process. I did say relatively— no major encounter with the federal bureaucracy is painless, but our procedures are pretty painless in comparison with nearly everywhere else in the world including places we think of as progressive. This is assuming no prior run ins with the law or deportations, stuff like that.

Most common reason I find is that some countries will not allow dual citizenship and they don’t want to lose their original nationality. After that, it’s the cost and headache when a green card allows you to do almost everything except vote.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I guess here is my offering, completely ignoring the nonsensical restrictions of the OP

• Legalizing possession marijuana for personal use (really, should be pretty much any and every drug in my opinion);
  • Investing resources in renewable energy and battery technologies (direct investment and tax incentives);
  • Reducing US incarceration rate by 90% (which would be comparable to most of Europe);
  • Space! AKA, increase NASA budget and eliminate requirement for NASA to develop/use SLS;

You’ve obviously been smoking way too much of bullet one. 

And in the next year I talked to about half a dozen people that were good people that you'd want to see get a home (side note- I'm shocked at how many people are officially married to non- citizens- and have been for many years- can someone explain that to me? I thought if your marriage wasn't a sham it was a basic auto ticket to citizenship- why is that such a thing).

The waiting period from green card to citizenship is five years. It’s actually a relatively straightforward and affordable process. I did say relatively— no major encounter with the federal bureaucracy is painless, but our procedures are pretty painless in comparison with nearly everywhere else in the world including places we think of as progressive. This is assuming no prior run ins with the law or deportations, stuff like that.

Most common reason I find is that some countries will not allow dual citizenship and they don’t want to lose their original nationality. After that, it’s the cost and headache when a green card allows almost everything except the right to vote.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You’ve obviously been smoking way too much of bullet one. 

Bunch of states have already legalized it. I don't see any reason why personal use of a drug should be criminal. It'll help reduce prison population and associated waste with prison system. It'll help generate business and reduce black market violence. It is just good policy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, sidis said:

because it financially benefits him directly.  the same reason he spent the last two decades railing on the fiscal irresponsibility of the government but celebrating his covid stimulus check.

it is a solid glimpse into what i call the country club republican.  their ideals and imposed virtues of political and economic policy are a simple dichotomy...does it financially benefit me or not.

Bullshit. I have more deals than I can handle- this isn’t a financial win for me- this is good policy. I’ve been a bush immigration guy for 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Most common reason I find is that some countries will not allow dual citizenship and they don’t want to lose their original nationality. After that, it’s the cost and headache when a green card allows almost everything except the right to vote.

It's about 6 years total from green card application to oath ceremony and about $2500. 

Most Americans do not have $2500 in the bank to pay for this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Should have been a little more clear I envisioned this as more backwards looking shit about stuff that had been done, vs prospective what you’d like to see done. 
The spirit of this would be, as simple as I can bottom line it- policy reversals more to a Bush wing of the party as opposed to a Trump wing of the party. 
immigration policy that makes sense and isn’t unnecessarily caustic. Or, basically shit that gets done that gets support from Mitt Romney as opposed to AOC of that makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I guess here is my offering, completely ignoring the nonsensical restrictions of the OP

• Legalizing possession of marijuana for personal use (really, should be pretty much any and every drug in my opinion);
  • Investing resources in renewable energy and battery technologies (direct investment and tax incentives);
  • Reducing US incarceration rate by 90% (which would be comparable to most of Europe);
  • Space! AKA, increase NASA budget and eliminate requirement for NASA to develop/use SLS;

Strong cosign on the first three, can you expand on number 4? I tend to go back and forth on the utility of funneling tons of money to NASA.

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So you like the DACA program because..... they can get mortgages, which benefits you financially?  And not because it's the right thing to do for the country and these people and the contributions they make to our society, both financially and culturally? 

Well, I never. 

Because it's expensive.  And time consuming.  And takes forever.  And the Trump admin implemented a lot of new requirements to show you won't require public benefits so that you basically have to hire an immigration lawyer to get it done correctly. 

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the spouse was in the country illegally when you got married, yeah, it ain't happening.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Should have been a little more clear I envisioned this as more backwards looking shit about stuff that had been done, vs prospective what you’d like to see done. 
The spirit of this would be, as simple as I can bottom line it- policy reversals more to a Bush wing of the party as opposed to a Trump wing of the party. 
immigration policy that makes sense and isn’t unnecessarily caustic. Or, basically shit that gets done that gets support from Mitt Romney as opposed to AOC of that makes sense. 

Backward?  How does your DACA mortgage thing fit into "stuff that had been done." 

37 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no idea what this means. Can I get a listing of topics that are forbidden in this thread as "liberal?" Why exactly are mortgages for Dreamers not included on "liberal" side?

Right there with ya.  I read that first paragraph and thought "fuck it".  What are you talking about, Wulaw?  Centrist policies (as defined by the median between fascism and old school conservatism)?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's about 6 years total from green card application to oath ceremony and about $2500. 

Most Americans do not have $2500 in the bank to pay for this. 

So I should clarify that the five year wait time to apply is from the receipt of the green card and doesn’t include processing times.

The 2500 is a bit misleading because it includes green card application fees, you don’t have to pony that whole thing up-front (you can’t, in fact). The actual citizenship package fee is $725.00. Spreading $2500 across five years is $500 dollars per year. I don’t see it as particularly onerous and the reality is that it costs money to process these things. I think it’s fair for prospective immigrants and their sponsors to absorb that cost.

As I said, the actual paperwork and process is far more reasonable than what you go through almost anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but if the spouse was in the country illegally when you got married, yeah, it ain't happening.

It depends.  It's complicated.  Which is why people hire the lawyers. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It was really really heartbreaking.  And in the next year I talked to about half a dozen people that were good people that you'd want to see get a home (side note- I'm shocked at how many people are officially married to non- citizens- and have been for many years- can someone explain that to me? I thought if your marriage wasn't a sham it was a basic auto ticket to citizenship- why is that such a thing).

This is true for all hard-working undocumented immigrants in this country, who are good people, and who you should want to see not just get a home, but obtain reasonably easy legal status and a path to citizenship. I hope Biden's proposal gets passed through Congress. I have some hope now that Moscow Mitch can't just block everything.

Edit to say "most" not "all" before someone posts articles of undocumented immigrants who commit crimes like DUI etc, which of course occurs, but "most" undocumented immigrants in the US are hardworking good people just looking to do good for their families.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

There’s a waiver for that and it gets approved pretty regularly. You might have to spend some time separated and you will have to leave to get the visa approved. Since 2013 the waiver can be submitted in advance of travel which streamlines the process.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

We should pass a law that all bills going forward in the House and Senate have no pork and anything in that bill has to pertain to the subject of the bill.  For example if we have a healthcare bill we can't have sections of that bill that give money to MI for car rebates or NC for tobacco funding etc...  When we pass laws they are filled with so much crap that has nothing to do with the subject of the particular bill it's criminal in my opinion.

Earmarks have been banned since 2011, which might've had the unintended consequence of further nationalizing our politics. There's actually a decent argument to be made that part of the solution to some of our current problems is allowing them again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So I should clarify that the five year wait time to apply is from the receipt of the green card and doesn’t include processing times.

The 2500 is a bit misleading because it includes green card application fees, you don’t have to pony that whole thing up-front (you can’t, in fact). The actual citizenship package fee is $725.00. Spreading $2500 across five years is $500 dollars per year. I don’t see it as particularly onerous and the reality is that it costs money to process these things. I think it’s fair for prospective immigrants and their sponsors to absorb that cost.

As I said, the actual paperwork and process is far more reasonable than what you go through almost anywhere else.

5 year wait time is for green cards based on employment, not marriage  - that's only 3 years.

2500 is not misleading - you pay the immigrant visa petition (I-130) and green card (I-485) first  - that's $1770.  You pay the citizenship fee later, after your 3 year waiting period.   So it's $1770, wait 2 years for the green card, wait 3 more years, and then you pay the $725 and wait another 18 months. 

Figure out how to reverse the flow of money from the middle class to the top 1%.  A lot of problems get fixed if you fix this root problem.  Edit:  Put the smartest person in the room, Elizabeth Warren, on the problem and give her a mandate to come up with policies to fix it and the resources necessary to execute them.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

5 year wait time is for green cards based on employment, not marriage  - that's only 3 years.

2500 is not misleading - you pay the immigrant visa petition (I-130) and green card (I-485) first  - that's $1770.  You pay the citizenship fee later, after your 3 year waiting period.   So it's $1770, wait 2 years for the green card, wait 3 more years, and then you pay the $725 and wait another 18 months. 

Exactly, you aren’t asked to pay 2.5k up front.  You can get a provisional green card without waiting two years, it’s two years to have conditions removed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Figure out how to reverse the flow of money from the middle class to the top 1%.  A lot of problems get fixed if you fix this root problem.

Isn't that ebil lib class warfare? We're rolling back the clock to the good old days of GOPs pretending they stand between sweet ol' once great America and the Red Menace.

The framework of this thread is absurd and presumptuous.

I read the OP as "guys who aren't democrats and/or vote for Biden, be reasonable and strive for unity by finding common ground policy that Biden has enacted in his first 24 hours or likely will that you like/support/agree". I think he was trying to filter out crazy left ideas and the alt-right insanity to widen the aperture of the middle, which I find commendable (if not naive for this website and the world at large).

That said: I agree that rejoining the Paris is probably good. Not leaving the WHO, even if just for optics/political reasons, is good.

I really like that Biden is keeping some Chinese tariffs and has implied he will still manage China as a competitor and adversary, but will get some global help and not go it alone unilaterally.

I like the urgency and stronger vaccine strategy in the first 100 days.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Isn't that ebil lib class warfare? We're rolling back the clock to the good old days of GOPs pretending they stand between sweet ol' once great America and the Red Menace.

The framework of this thread is absurd and presumptuous.

Maybe.  But let's see if any conservatives will support relief for the backs that their castles are built on.

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As in- it was an executive order. It’s finished. No need to legislate. It’s done and over and we are moving on in a different direction. 

So you want us to have a discussion limited to things that have happened in the last 24 hours? Or is your request for unity that we find stuff we like from Trump's administration? Cause, I have to say, I'm drawing a blank on the latter. The best I can say is that Jim Bridenstine was a decent administrator for NASA. That's it. Otherwise, everything else was trash or trash adjacent. 

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I read the OP as "guys who aren't democrats and/or vote for Biden, be reasonable and strive for unity by finding common ground policy that Biden has enacted in his first 24 hours or likely will that you like/support/agree". I think he was trying to filter out crazy left ideas and the alt-right insanity to widen the aperture of the middle,

All in the spirit of "unity?"

I'm not starting a jihad or anything, but when you toss around fuzzy terms like conservative and lib/leftist without thinking they need to be defined, it starts to feel like somebody is looking to start a (wink wink) private club.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. 

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I really like that Biden is keeping some Chinese tariffs and has implied he will still manage China as a competitor and adversary, but will get some global help and not go it alone unilaterally.

That was never not going to be the case. Well, I guess unless we end up with a Trump-esque puppet, but for China instead of Russia. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That was never not going to be the case. Well, I guess unless we end up with a Trump-esque puppet, but for China instead of Russia. 

Well, even better then! The key call out there, though, is that he will build coalitions and relationships globally to help-- you know, play politics-- which is needed.

I will also second some reasonable gun reform and reasonable student loan reform/forgiveness as something I think is good and will happen (keyword, reasonable).

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

All in the spirit of "unity?"

I'm not starting a jihad or anything, but when you toss around fuzzy terms like conservative and lib/leftist without thinking they need to be defined, it starts to feel like somebody is looking to start a (wink wink) private club.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. 

It's like you didn't even listen to that poem everyone was fawning all over yesterday. Yes, unity.

The premise of this thread is straightforward. And why are the most confused those whose beliefs and politics disqualify you from materially participating (e.g. Card-carrying Liberals/Democrats)?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So you want us to have a discussion limited to things that have happened in the last 24 hours? Or is your request for unity that we find stuff we like from Trump's administration? Cause, I have to say, I'm drawing a blank on the latter. The best I can say is that Jim Bridenstine was a decent administrator for NASA. That's it. Otherwise, everything else was trash or trash adjacent. 

Not trump- Biden only. And I’d envisioned this as a place holder for everything I liked over the next four years. So- it might get updated once a day, once a month or once a year as something happens I like. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It's like you didn't even listen to that poem everyone was fawning all over yesterday. Yes, unity.

The premise of this thread is straightforward. And why are the most confused those whose beliefs and politics disqualify you from materially participating (e.g. Card-carrying Liberals/Democrats)?

The OP is very confusing. I'm neither a card carrying liberal nor a Democract. I just have no idea what the OP is asking for.  Is this it?

"If you are not liberal, post things you like about what Biden has done in his first 24 hours" 

If so, (1) that is a really short thread, (2) all the former GOP on here are going to be confused about whether they are allowed to contribute or not, and (3) seriously, that is a really short thread. 

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

One, I didn't hear or read or care about the poem.

Two, see my use of presumptuous in my first post on this thread. Apply it to your apparent assumption about my politics and the politics of others. 

Who is a card-carrying Lib/Dem that you refer to? (Consult OP if you can afford his fees.)

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a fan of this administration treating the COVID pandemic like it's a pandemic.  I like that they are using science and data to drive policies that are intended to save American lives and get us back to normal as soon as possible instead of sitting on their asses and lying to the American people to protect a deranged President's fragile ego.  Wait . . . science . . . data . . . honesty . . . saving lives.  Shit, those are liberal values.  My bad for messing up the intent of the thread.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Truly- no ulterior agenda. Literally a place to say- check in here if you aren’t a liberal and say something nice about a policy you liked as it happened. In the spirit of unity and being a happy person dealing with the world optimistically. 

^^ Should have led with this to minimize confusion and in the future be more clear.

As a side not, you do have to use effective written communication for a living, right? I have noticed you seem to ramble and there are lots of issues with your writing, generally across most threads, in a lack of clarity and succinctness. And if you are going to not be succinct, you have to have style, which you also severely lack. Not trying to be mean, and if you are just thumbing these threads on your iphone as you take your daily constitutional, I get it, but a little more effort would be helpful for the community here.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bullshit. I have more deals than I can handle- this isn’t a financial win for me- this is good policy. I’ve been a bush immigration guy for 20 years. 

doing transactions isn't a financial win for you when you are in real estate and title processing? okay.

if you have more deals than your can handle, stop whining about how financially distressed you are.  you operate in an industry that is so fucking rigged that bored, platinum-haired suburban housewives looking for spending money can't screw it up.

also, just to help you to realize how bizarre this thread really is given your premise, you just described its central purpose to be a thread that isn't a wishlist of policies you would like to see changed in the future, but instead a placed where you are supposed to say something nice about a policy that has already happened in which you liked it...when it happened. nothing more.

meanwhile, a material portion of the op is lamenting a former policy that you called "dumb dumb dumb policy" and that you found objectionable...while expressing hope that the policy would eventually change in the future.

think for a minute.

Edited by sidis

I’m not saying liberals can’t comment on here or have an opinion. I’m saying if we change the national anthem to the international, while knocking out Bernie’s top 10 list I don’t want to hear about it on this thread. There is an entire other board for this- everywhere else on the CR. This is for non Biden voters, or Biden skeptics from a conservative side of the aisle to say- look at that old bastard get one right. 
If bad teammate wants to take a victory lap after getting universal healthcare- cool- just don’t post it in this thread. 
if you want to well actually something I put in here and discuss- then cool- this is the place for that. 

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

^^ Should have led with this to minimize confusion and in the future be more clear.

As a side not, you do have to use effective written communication for a living, right? I have noticed you seem to ramble and there are lots of issues with your writing, generally across most threads, in a lack of clarity and succinctness. And if you are going to not be succinct, you have to have style, which you also severely lack. Not trying to be mean, and if you are just thumbing these threads on your iphone as you take your daily constitutional, I get it, but a little more effort would be helpful for the community here.

^ this.

I will say it's kinda silly, if not downright naive, to expect left-leaning surlies to stay off this thread.  That said, as we have stated probably hundreds of times in the last year, a large swath of anti-Trump surlies aren't classic progressives, but more disenchanted Republicans who want the fuck out of that dumpster fire.  So, maybe you'll get some traction.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3