Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not disagreeing with that, but it feels like we are operating with a double standard here with that comment.

Florida's pass defense sucks and it is because of their DC, ours sucks and it's because of the position coaches. At a certain point the guy who calls and operates the defense needs to step in. If a coverage isn't being deployed or taught the way you want it, you are paid almost $2 million a year to correct it and make sure it is done to your satisfaction. There are only so many coverages you can run in football and I would hope all DB coaches at this level are familiar with them. This isn't like offense where there a million different directions you can go. 

I get certain coaches are comfortable together or complement each other well, but if you need a specific position coach to make your defense work you probably aren't a very good coordinator. 

These situations are polar opposites Florida has an inexperienced DC. Raymond has been one of the most respected secondary coaches for over a decade.  Gideon is coaching safeties at the P5 level for the first time in his career.  PK has a long history of success as a DC. That said Sark’s response to a question about the secondary was interesting. He said maybe the calls weren’t aggressive enough (something to that effect)

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

These situations are polar opposites Florida has an inexperienced DC. Raymond has been one of the most respected secondary coaches for over a decade.  Gideon is coaching safeties at the P5 level for the first time in his career.  PK has a long history of success as a DC. That said Sark’s response to a question about the secondary was interesting. He said maybe the calls weren’t aggressive enough (something to that effect)

I have no strong opinion on the guy, but it’s probably worth something that both Will Muschamp and Patterson think highly of Gideon as a coach. Muschamp obviously recommended him to Sark and Patterson told people last year he thought Gideon was a rising star.

Maybe they are wrong and Gideon isn’t as good as they thought, but they have a pretty good track record.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have no strong opinion on the guy, but it’s probably worth something that both Will Muschamp and Patterson think highly of Gideon as a coach. Muschamp obviously recommended him to Sark and Patterson told people last year he thought Gideon was a rising star.

Maybe they are wrong and Gideon isn’t as good as they thought, but they have a pretty good track record.

Better rise faster 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t think Gideon and Muschamp ever coached together (GA doesn’t count). Either way that doesn’t change the point. Coaches like Raymond, Bo Davis, Larry Johnson and even PK have amassed a history of good work. Gideon and the Florida DC are still learning on the job. It may not be correct, but it is just logical to question the inexperienced coach first. 

Edited by Codaxx

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

The problem is no one in the secondary (or the linebackers) really seems to know what to do if they have to defend for 3+ seconds in a zone. We get lost and don't communicate. It seems to fundamentally be a teaching problem. 

This. something is majorly wrong on the coaching end.

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

We cant really blame the pass rush. Texas leads the Big 12 in sacks and pressures, so this secondary is getting more help than the rest of the Big 12. Its awesome when the pass rush is dominating like in the 1st half of the Baylor or TCU games, but that is not a real test of the back-end. 

I think that Stat is misleading. Anytime you get close to a QB as he is throwing is considered a pressure. It doesn't say how long QBs are holding the ball. QBs seem to be standing back there for an awfully long time judging by eye test. Just my opinion. I'd like to see a Stat on that though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Then again that doesn't excuse some of our dumb safety play either. Take this play for instance. This is the play where TCU ran a sprint out, or rolled the pocket coupled with a levels concept or flood patterns for the olds. Look at Thompson at the top of the screen. He gets turned completely around. What I want you to think about is this. The quarterback rolling to his right is telling you where the pattern is going. Why the fuck would the receiver be breaking to his left Thompson? This is just dumb football. The route was always going to match where the QB was going. Had he played the percentages he assumes the route breaks playside and has a chancento jump it or at worse discourage the throw. Just stupid football by the guys on the back end. This is why Taafe is playing. 

Screenshot_20231114_020634_YouTube.jpg

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, DreadHead said:

Bring Akina AND Patterson back as analysts/fixers. 

We’re giving up 5 more pass yards per game this year compared to last. 

We’re giving up 30 less rushing yard per game. 

We’re giving up 3 less points per game. 

What is Patterson going to fix that he couldn’t fix last year?

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Damn, it seems like 5 more pass yards per play. I guess it isn't so bad after all, but what's it going to be like when opposing teams run HUNH all game?

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Seems to me like we have 3 transfers and a walkon in the secondary for a reason.  The question I have is it eval, development, or ust not getting our choice recruits?

• Like 1

I added this in another comment, but I think it deserves its own post. 

Sark’s response to a question about the secondary giving up yards was interesting. He said maybe the calls weren’t aggressive enough. Sark usually is pretty protective of players and coaches. I wonder if we see some changes this weekend (though PK was very aggressive in the 1st half)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I think it deserves its own post.  Sark’s response to a question about the secondary giving up yards was interesting. He said maybe the calls weren’t aggressive enough. Sark usually is pretty protective of players and coaches. I wonder if we see some changes this weekend (though PK was very aggressive in the 1st half)

I really appreciated Sark's comments about

how at times our tackling looked like a "7 on 7 defense" that wasn't even close enough to pull the flag.  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He wouldn't be so frustrated if he could fix it.

Yeah. Its more than one thing. The main thing is that these guys lose their intensity and focus once they get up on teams and then they can't find the switch to turn the lights back on. They are actually better when the opponent is strong enough to keep the game in doubt the entire time. Its weird. They aren't talented enough yet to play sloppy and still play decent.

My issue with them is there are a lot of dumb football players in our back 7. MT, Watts, Ford, and Barron are the only ones seeing the field and even they are going to make mistakes. The others don't seem to understand situational football. 4th and 2 and 9 yard cushion. QB sprinting out right and you bit on the fake headed to the opposite pylon, as if the QB could ever manage to make that throw. Gbenda and whatever the fuck that dude is doing every play. Constantly losing leverage. Secondary is the one area where it is hard to see consistent growth. We've been seeing the same M.O. all season.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Yes, it’s more than one thing. It’s a bit different each game. I’m sitting here on YouTube when I should not be.

We’re up 26-6. 2nd and 11. The backup Dline is in. I’m not sure what Hill is supposed to do, but in my humble opinion, he does a crappy job. He chases the back to the flat rather than squeezing the curl a bit that still would allow for an easy tackle in the flat. Encourage the throw to the flat and play 3rd and 8. Then Ford gets a terrible angle as does Crawford.

40 yards later TCU has a drive. Multiple culprits, but the first two were the starting LBs.

• Like 1

In the highlights that resulted in TCUs TDs, it was TCU taking advantage of different persons and others not helping their teammates.

Hill seems to get wide in his drops before he gets depth. That’s similar to our issues in 2021 and first half of 2022. Similarly we are too aggressive to the flat. As a QB you pretty much want that WR underneath rather than the RB.

But they threw on Barron twice. Brooks. Watts. The TD run was between Broughton and Burke, who got upfield. Again not sure what Hill is doing. The TD between Taafe and Ford was a solid throw. Again if we cause some QB hesitation, Ford probably gets there.

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

In the highlights that resulted in TCUs TDs, it was TCU taking advantage of different persons and others not helping their teammates.

Hill seems to get wide in his drops before he gets depth. That’s similar to our issues in 2021 and first half of 2022. Similarly we are too aggressive to the flat. As a QB you pretty much want that WR underneath rather than the RB.

But they threw on Barron twice. Brooks. Watts. The TD run was between Broughton and Burke, who got upfield. Again not sure what Hill is doing. The TD between Taafe and Ford was a solid throw. Again if we cause some QB hesitation, Ford probably gets there.

The TD run Burke flies upfield like we used to do when Diaz was here. It looks like Hill is looking at the playside A gap and expecting VB to handle the B and Burke to handle the C.

Barron I give a pass because he was clearly hurt. He couldn't even chase Wiley after he caught the ball. I think we pulled him after that.

The TD run Burke flies upfield like we used to do when Diaz was here. It looks like Hill is looking at the playside A gap and expecting VB to handle the B and Burke to handle the C.
 Barron I give a pass because he was clearly hurt. He couldn't even chase Wiley after he caught the ball. I think we pulled him after that.

Could be on Hill. We’re probably in good shape if Burke doesn’t run upfield.

My point is not to isolate Barron but to say it’s a little bit of everyone. Gimpy or not, it was a big play. For him, I do believe he’s best around the Los. But that’s not surprising for aggressive guys. Yes, he did come up gimpy on that play and Guilbeau came in..

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

My point is not to isolate Barron but to say it’s a little bit of everyone. Gimpy or not, it was a big play. For him, I do believe he’s best around the Los. But that’s not surprising for aggressive guys. Yes, he did come up gimpy on that play and Guilbeau came in..

Agreed. Everyone had a hand in baking that cake.

Does Barron look 100% ?
Seem to be favoring his right leg,  noticed same when he got up from table at post game press conf.

I had forgotten til now, but he got up slow earlier after making a tackle. Maybe 1st half.

On that Wylie catch, he was waving Ford to get Wylie because he wasn’t able to run. Don’t think he came back in.

Remember he missed part of Houston so he’s banged up. I’ll miss that dude when he’s gone. Maybe as much as Daly.giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Burke flying up field with reckless abandon was pretty much his biggest red flag from HS. He did it more often last year than he has this year, but he left a gaping hole on that play in particular due to it.

Hill got caught in the wash, which actually happens pretty often, but on that play in particular he wasn't able to recover with his athleticism. He also needs much improvement with his zone drops, but that's expected.

They had much more success running the ball when we were subbing in Broughton, Carter and Finkley.  The backups were worse, shocking I know.  But it does make me question why we were doing such wholesale substitutions.  I can see Sweat needing to be spelled, but did we have to also take out Sorrell and Murphy at the same time?  I think this speaks to our complacency when we think we have a game in the bag.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

That was Burke getting too far upfield opening up a hole. Hill could have player that better, got caught a bit flat footed. MUhammad took a terrible angle. Thompson said hold my beer and watch this angle. Rest is history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, gurt said:

They had much more success running the ball when we were subbing in Broughton, Carter and Finkley.  The backups were worse, shocking I know.  But it does make me question why we were doing such wholesale substitutions.  I can see Sweat needing to be spelled, but did we have to also take out Sorrell and Murphy at the same time?  I think this speaks to our complacency when we think we have a game in the bag.  

Our substitution patterns are interesting. We do seem at times to go with mass unit subs rather than substituting one or two players. I guess there is an argument that having a group that plays together will allow better unit cohesion. But it doesn't appear to be working for us so well. 

8 hours ago, Kwix said:

To be fair. Greg Davis won this award,

In 2005 it seemed like every play was run out of the same personnel and formation. Maybe it was a bit like air raid, in that the very lack of variability made it somehow unpredictable. No tendencies to track. Nothing to give a play away. Like GD had somehow solved offense with one magic set of 4 plays. 

(But mostly it was an elite NFL roster and a singular genius mobile QB just torching everything.)

Edited by CleverNickname
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I guess there is an argument that having a group that plays together will allow better unit cohesion. But it doesn't appear to be working for us so well. 

The Texas defensive back 7 has no clue what "cohesion" is in pass coverage... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kwix said:

To be fair. Greg Davis won this award,

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

In 2005 it seemed like every play was run out of the same personnel and formation. Maybe it was a bit like air raid, in that the very lack of variability made it somehow unpredictable. No tendencies to track. Nothing to give a play away. Like GD had somehow solved offense with one magic set of 4 plays. 

(But mostly it was an elite NFL roster and a singular genius mobile QB just torching everything.)

Yep. Greg Davis' offensive schemes were an incoherent grab bag of clusterfuck. He "won" the Broyles Award, because he finally got the fuck out of VY's way and let him go H.A.M with his ultra-talented teammates..

It's hard to overstate how dominant the 2005 offensive players were. OU knew our plays multiple times and couldn't do shit to stop it. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/17/17579422/vince-young-2005-texas-oklahoma-billy-pittman

Kasey Studdard, one of the offensive linemen was very nervous because the defensive guys were yelling out the play that we were about to run, which they were correct but they didn’t know that we were running a wheel route with it. 

We called that timeout and Kasey was on the sideline nervous about it. I said ‘Man, listen. We’re going to run the same play and when we score, we’re going to go, everybody, and run down to the end zone and we’ll pile on each other.’

We went out there and rand the same play and Billy Pittman made a great catch and then you just see the whole entire team run down into the end zone and do the pile on. I thought that was pretty cool.

Uhh, guys.... We pushed their shit in.  I don't care who you are.  Defense dominated the line of scrimmage.   A few slants and a few missed tackles but generally nothing easy other than the 4th and 1.  Carried the team until the offense got untracked.   If you can't be happy with that defensive performance not sure what to say.  

https://x.com/InsideTexas/status/1726096645165810005?s=20

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 4

Clearly our safeties are a huge liability. Hopefully that will get fixed by next season. It's maddening to the point that you have to ask yourself how these guys are starting for the University of Texas, and not Louisiana Monroe. Derek Williams will be a force to be reckoned with in due time. I wish BJ Allen would take that next step, but he's still just a RS frosh. Safety play is abhorrent. We have good corners, but they're young right now. Muhammad shows promise, even though he tries to tackle with one arm and gets burned. He does tackle well when the guy is in front of him. Brooks will be a dude probably next year. We forget he's just a rs frosh. So boundary will be Muhammad, then Brooks opposite of him. I'm wondering who will be our safeties? Williams for sure, but not sure who else. We'll take our lumps next season with youth. 

Safety: Maybe I'm missing some, but this doesn't bode well currently 

Crawford should hopefully be out of eligibility

Austin Jordan 

BJ Allen Jr

Larry Turner-Gooden (assuming he doesn't transfer)

Michael Taaffe (hopefully doesn't see much time. Good kid, good family, good home, lunch pail)

Jelani Mcdonald (no clue if safety or LB)

Mo Blackwell (no idea if he'll stick at LB or move to safety)

Corner: 

Jaylon Guilbeau 

Austin Jordan (probably safety)

Malik Muhammad 

Terrance Brooks 

Gavin Holmes (assuming he doesn't transfer)

X'Avion Brice (not sure if corner or safety)

Warren Roberson (not sure if corner or safety long-term)

So, this is what we're looking at going into next season. It's pretty bleak with how young we are.