Hostage Situation - 1900 Block of West 35th Street (Jackson Ave.) Near Mopac

atomheartbevo

41 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’d be very surprised if it turns out she was being held hostage very long. I think he killed her early on & probably even killed himself hours before the police broke in.

That could very well be true.  But how does it not escalate the shit out of the situation to bring in a massive military-style SWAT team?  There was intelligence on the ground -- the 5-ish folks that had been released.  They could tell the cops exactly where the hostage and the perp were located in the building.  With that knowledge, it wouldn't seem difficult to undertake a plan to eliminate the perp out in a less subtle way.

Right now, Narumanchi's family is cooperating with police, but they're asking close friends to come forward to help answer still lingering questions.

"We don’t know exactly why he decided to take these actions and target this particular business. We’re asking if anyone is friends with either Dr. Dodson or Dr. Narumanchi and knows why he wanted to come to this particular business, or knows what may have been going on in his life or thought process, please call out to the Austin Police Department tip line and let us know. For all intents and purposes, the case - as far as who did this - is closed. We know who did it and we know there’s no longer a threat to the public, but we really really want to answer the question of why, and provide as many facts and circumstances to the family, friends as we can, and provide as much closure in this tragic situation as we can," Greenwalt said.

Detectives are asking anyone with information or video of the incident to call APD Homicide at 512-974-TIPS.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/doctor-took-hostages-killed-pediatrician-in-murder-suicide-at-austin-doctors-office

Really hard to see the picture of her with her hubby and three kiddos. My brother was saying that his college friend's wife is a pediatrician and knew her well. Not sure if she worked in the same practice or just worked with her elsewhere. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

1. No doubt the police did all they could with the best info that thought they had. I do question their judgement and leadership. But point is well taken. 
2. I believe family was notified before the presser, but friends definitely were not. The staging of that thing was a blunder. 
3. Just got an email from the Casis principal and wife broke down again. It was a good email.  
4.  This is still fucked up. All the moms are just driving around to each other’s houses. It’s a fucked up day. 
5.@Futureman should go fuck up another thread. 
Why would they notify friends?

8 hours ago, Newdoc said:

The brain cancer made have made the guy mentally unstable (which brain tumors pressing on the wrong spot are known to do)...

My completely unqualified, slept-at-a-Holiday-Inn opinion is that I don't see any other better explanation at this point.  Of course it's really early but no one's apparently giving any hint (friends or relatives etc.) that this guy had any signs whatsoever of being a threat, never mind disagreeable.  He spent almost 2 decades saving critical newborns' and infants' lives.  The only thing that remotely shows up on his radar is a bitter custody fight and alleged spousal abuse (dismissed out of court, who knows in that he said/she said world?).

It does seem suspicious that he recently was unemployed (or quit?) but even so, asking to be a volunteer when he knew he had weeks left doesn't sound like a deranged future killer, but more of the same selfless thing.

I realize one or two new facts can completely debunk all of this, but right now this doesn't add up at all.  My FIL died of brain cancer and he went within a week or two from being completely sane to being very very out of it reality-wise about 3 weeks before his death.  This sounds like that case right now.

The longer we don't hear any ominous things about this guy, the more it seems like it.  Very scary along with the tragic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Please tell us more. Lay out your subtle plan for us.  

Tragic situation. Quote taken out of context, I'm simply dubious about the militarized SWAT team approach to such incidents, but I'll play along with you. 

Use the intelligence from the released hostages about the location.  I assume that the other docs/employees knew the building security codes to back entrances.  It's not a big or complex building.  Breach and make a direct shot to perp.  Aside from that -- Turn off power,  Flash bang, Tear gas, LRAD sonic weapons -- I'm sure that APD has those tools in their bag.

I'm just not a fan of militarized police tactics.  I don't think that they are helpful.  YMMV. 

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Tragic situation. Quote taken out of context, I'm simply dubious about the militarized SWAT team approach to such incidents, but I'll play along with you. 

Use the intelligence from the released hostages about the location.  I assume that the other docs/employees knew the building security codes to back entrances.  It's not a big or complex building.  Breach and make a direct shot to perp.  Aside from that -- Turn off power,  Flash bang, Tear gas, LRAD sonic weapons -- I'm sure that APD has those tools in their bag.

I'm just not a fan of militarized police tactics.  I don't think that they are helpful.  YMMV. 

since they knew he was a doctor, and probably knew no real history of violence if they had his name, maybe they thought they could talk him out of it.  He let others go and I assume he could have shot them if he wanted to.    You run in and he shoots her you get second guessed for escalating.

what you are saying is they should just assume they can't talk a guy down and make a plan to go in.  I'm not saying that it is wrong to do that but both options were on the table and I think he was communicating at the beginning right?

It is possible the 2 duffel bags had them concerned about explosives which is why SWAT might be called.

Its a damn tough call and I'm not going to second guess it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Seriously?  Was there a single word of sympathy or compassion in that tweet?  Nope.  He was just pushing the "Gun Violence" narrative.

Yeah, Doggett is a solid guy...but the first sentence of a condolence tweet shouldn't have the term "gun violence" in it.  Maybe later in the tweet, or better yet a separate tweet, or even better than that-in proposed legislation that if you have terminal brain cancer, ask your doctor before buying a high-capacity handgun.  

We know it was gun violence because the fucking APD guy told us.  Just say something comforting about the victim and save the terminology for another day.  I dunno, doesn't really matter either way unless you really knew her.  My wife apparently was in joint-referrals with her for decades but they never met personally.  Her reputation was beyond reproach.  Just beloved by everyone.  What a damn shame. 

No, I'm not saying that.  Call it what it is...just don't open with it.  It's public speaking 101.  

"Thank you all for coming to the wake of this victim of gun violence, John Smith."   that doesn't sound right especially from an elected official/dignitary.  

Try something like, "Thank you all for coming to the wake of our dearly departed John Smith who was a father, friend, neighbor, son, and brother in Christ."  

Anyway, doesn't fucking matter.  It only matters what her family thinks.  And eventually something helpful comes of this like...and this gonna sound harsh...if you have a terminal illness.  Like real fucking terminal, particularly involving the brain.  You can't buy guns.  I don't know how you develop the watch-list but if you're truly sick mentally, we don't want you playing with firearms.  If you're thinking of taking your own life, there are other ways to go about it and we can look the other way as a society while you ease your pain.  But you only need one bullet for that.  This guy shouldn't have had these two firearms and that many rounds.  Gotta be a way to dampen that.  I dunno.  Yeah, nevermind about Doggett.  Not the lead.  

On 1/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Never let a crisis go to waste, eh Lloyd?

It's odd you somehow omitted his follow up tweet he posted within the same minute of the one you're complaining about.

But you know what? He at least gives a shit about expressing his condolences to those in his district who may have been effected by this - even though her offices are not in his district and it seems she wasn't a resident of it either. He apparently does give a shit about the broader Austin community. 

I challenge you to see what the responses were from the other representatives purportedly "serving" and "representing" Austin from their gerrymandered districts.

Es5VONgXUAMri4T?format=jpg&name=medium

You're welcome to visit any of their Twitter accounts or even do a google news search.

• TX-21 Chip Roy: @chiproytx ; @RepChipRoy
  • TX-25 Roger Williams: @RepRWilliams
  • TX-31 John Carter: @JudgeCarter
  • TX-17 Pete Sessions: @PeteSessions
  • TX-10: Michael McCaul: @RepMcCaul

But I made it easy for you and have done the work. None of them have said a gotdam thing to console the community or even acknowledge this tragedy, but I don't know why you would even give a shit since you apparently live in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Lloyd's a good dude.  I reached out to him back in 2002 with an issue I couldn't get resolved, and he and his staff completely took care of it.  No incentive other than helping out a constituent. I certainly had nothing to offer at that time, and I'm not from an important family or a big donor.  I was just a young fella with a problem, and he graciously helped.  I'm not in his district any more, but he'd get my vote any time.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/29/2021 at 12:31 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Lloyd's a good dude.  I reached out to him back in 2002 with an issue I couldn't get resolved, and he and his staff completely took care of it.  No incentive other than helping out a constituent. I certainly had nothing to offer at that time, and I'm not from an important family or a big donor.  I was just a young fella with a problem, and he graciously helped.  I'm not in his district any more, but he'd get my vote any time.

I met Doggett at an election night watch party back in 2012 when Obama got re-elected. He sat down on a couch next to me with a beer and just started shooting the breeze. Very friendly and no pretense at all. 

Edited by South Austin
shouting the breeze?

On 1/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, phdhorn said:

My completely unqualified, slept-at-a-Holiday-Inn opinion is that I don't see any other better explanation at this point.  Of course it's really early but no one's apparently giving any hint (friends or relatives etc.) that this guy had any signs whatsoever of being a threat, never mind disagreeable.  He spent almost 2 decades saving critical newborns' and infants' lives.  The only thing that remotely shows up on his radar is a bitter custody fight and alleged spousal abuse (dismissed out of court, who knows in that he said/she said world?).

It does seem suspicious that he recently was unemployed (or quit?) but even so, asking to be a volunteer when he knew he had weeks left doesn't sound like a deranged future killer, but more of the same selfless thing.

I realize one or two new facts can completely debunk all of this, but right now this doesn't add up at all.  My FIL died of brain cancer and he went within a week or two from being completely sane to being very very out of it reality-wise about 3 weeks before his death.  This sounds like that case right now.

The longer we don't hear any ominous things about this guy, the more it seems like it.  Very scary along with the tragic.

If we are throwing opinions around, I think the killer formed an infatuation for the victim...

Edited by pacman