Because Jeff Bezos doesn't have all the money in the world

Horn Under a Bad Sign

• 1 month later...

I had a friend that worked there as a sorter between jobs during Covid, made like 19hr starting with health insurance.  I think the lowest they start at is 16hr.  I mean there’s plenty of companies that pay less for thankless positions, what more are they actually wanting?  Haven’t read the whole thread so excuse me for not knowing everything but seems much better then going to DQ, McD, Walmart, Home Depot, Tyson, ect, ect.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

I had a friend that worked there as a sorter between jobs during Covid, made like 19hr starting with health insurance.  I think the lowest they start at is 16hr.  I mean there’s plenty of companies that pay less for thankless positions, what more are they actually wanting?  Haven’t read the whole thread so excuse me for not knowing everything but seems much better then going to DQ, McD, Walmart, Home Depot, Tyson, ect, ect.

I think they expect all of that but without the hard work. A teacher friend worked one summer at the San Marcos warehouse. He averaged 17 miles a shift. He said it was the most physically exhausting job he’d ever had.

That doesn’t really answer the “what they want question” though. They want to walk less? I get that it’s an exhausting job, but it also seems to pay well more than other unskilled-labor positions. So it seems like some of those types of issues are accounted for by the benefits.

Also not fully versed on their situation. Maybe I’m stating a really stupid position.

ETA: This was in response to cooter two posts up

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

That doesn’t really answer the “what they want question” though. They want to walk less? I get that it’s an exhausting job, but it also seems to pay well more than other unskilled-labor positions. So it seems like some of those types of issues are accounted for by the benefits.

Also not fully versed on their situation. Maybe I’m stating a really stupid position.

ETA: This was in response to cooter two posts up

Pretty sure a lot is about poor working conditions. Shit like people have to piss in plastic bottles because they can't take a bathroom break without missing their quotas. Amazon blows.

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Lulz. DQ, HEB, and plenty of run of the mill fast-food, cheesedick jobs are now advertising $15/hr based on the signs when I drive by, so I imagine if I wanted to spend a few days actually looking for a low skilled job, I could do better than that and not have to put up with Amazon's bullshit. Amazon could pay  more than they do, and in the process make a difference in the lives of many thousands of people. But the American way now leans towards rewarding the C Suite and shareholders, not the people on whose back the company is built. Amazon is not unique in that regard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Pretty sure a lot is about poor working conditions. Shit like people have to piss in plastic bottles because they can't take a bathroom break without missing their quotas. Amazon blows.

My buddy that worked there never had to piss in a bottle and didn’t have any complaints really.  Now if you are a fat lazy bastard, maybe the jobs not for you if you can’t meet a baseline quota you may complain a lot and makeup shit after fired…

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. DQ, HEB, and plenty of run of the mill fast-food, cheesedick jobs are now advertising $15/hr based on the signs when I drive by, so I imagine if I wanted to spend a few days actually looking for a low skilled job, I could do better than that and not have to put up with Amazon's bullshit. Amazon could pay  more than they do, and in the process make a difference in the lives of many thousands of people. But the American way now leans towards rewarding the C Suite and shareholders, not the people on whose back the company is built. Amazon is not unique in that regard. 

During Covid or after maybe but most of your baseline cheesedick jobs don’t start at 16/19hr with insurance right away in Texas. McDonalds I saw today was advertising 12hr, that’s also no insurance cause they won’t give most employees 40 hours just like Walmart and many others.  I’m not saying it’s an amazing job, but for people willing to work hard in a non skill job, Amazon is pretty much the cats meow of pay and benefits in Texas.  Know a guy that is a assistant manager at Tractor supply and doesn’t make over 12.50 a hour..  Another lays flooring all day the same, now both aren’t dumb but are just content I guess cause they could just drive farther to HEB and get better pay right away but they don’t. With Amazon It’s either some people walk a lot a day or their jobs will be automated to a machine, I don’t think it’s the 19 miles a day as stated above anymore anyway because automation has advanced.  Do warehouse workers really need pay that starts at over 20/hr?  That’s making more then some people with basic college degrees make like teachers and close to what hopper airplane pilots make starting out, ect.. There’s no perfect answer for everyone in any government system or “American way” as you say, that’s life.  

Edited by Hook1997

8 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

You seem to place a lot of importance on the opinions of personal connections.  I would like to be your friend, also you should join my Amway group.  

I think first had knowledge of knowing people working these jobs is a bit better than a Reddit thread or a random person quoted in a article but maybe that’s just me?

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I think they expect all of that but without the hard work. A teacher friend worked one summer at the San Marcos warehouse. He averaged 17 miles a shift. He said it was the most physically exhausting job he’d ever had.

Maybe they should open up more of them in Mississippi and Texas so more people could walk 17 miles/day and get off the Diabeetus meds 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I think first had knowledge of knowing people working these jobs is a bit better than a Reddit thread or a random person quoted in a article but maybe that’s just me?

Yes, thinking you understand the Amazon worker experience sufficiently to dispute their claims because you know one person who worked there is just you.

I met a woman in a small WV town, where Amazon was pretty much the only thing going for 15+ miles until you got into a “bigger” city, which was still small af.  To my surprise, she didn’t bitch at all. Said it was a lot of walking, but steady work.  Think they were getting 16 or 17/hr, which surprised tf out of me.  There was barely any fast food options there, so this was about it, or I guess the truck stop.  I just remember being shocked the way her and her friend spoke about it, like full on company men. You’d have thought bezos had them mic’d up. I fully understand that’s 2 opinions out of a million.