Because Jeff Bezos doesn't have all the money in the world

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Motherfuckers.  One of my friends is an Amazon driver these days after losing his job in Cleveland as an architect (no George Costanza, he's a real architect with a degree from UT).  He's telling me all the time that it sucks because 1) he's an Amazon driver and 2) he's an Amazon driver in Cleveland fucking Ohio.   I want him to leave and go back to Texas but he's in love and I have to say his gf is very nice, indeed. 

But apparently, Amazon has to have every single penny ever earned by anybody in history, so they're screwing their delivery drivers out of tips:

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Had no idea tipping Amazon drivers was even a thing.

It's the ones delivering the 2-hour grocery delivery. When you checkout, it includes a tip amount that you can change or refuse. 

I imagine the Doordash-type drivers are having their tips stolen as well. 

Edited by Deej

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

It's the ones delivering the 2-hour grocery delivery. When you checkout, it includes a tip amount that you can change or refuse. 

I imagine the Doordash-type drivers are having their tips stolen as well. 

Yep I always tip my Amazon Fresh delivery person. 

20 minutes ago, APEX said:

Sales for the quarter exceeding $100B and Bezos is stepping down as CEO. I mean what else is he going to do after ruling the world of commerce?

Just did the math....

he could hire a $2000 hooker every day for the next 137,000 years, and that’s at a $100bn net worth calc.   

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Been wondering when this would happen - I heard a year or two ago that he was going to step down at some point, to focus on his space company.

Interesting timing given that SpaceX announced they are going to send an all-civilian crew into space this year, NASA is selecting landing sites on the moon, and Boeing is getting their shit together.  

How long until there's an antintrust suit against Amazon.  They have their hands in everything.  They got to be broken up at some point.  

I'm sure someone has done the research, but if we take the entire Amazon community: revenue, payouts, customers and employees, where would they rank in the order of richest countries?

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just yearning for tip?  I know how that ends. 

You don't know how it ends, you just know how it begins.

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m not sure the politicians want to break up the company that offers the best prices, selection and delivery to 75% of its constituents. 

I don't get all the animosity towards Bezos in this thread. He's created one of the most iconic companies in the world that has contributed trillions towards global GDP, wealth, and development. I hope he's able to advance space exploration, carbon reduction, or whatever else he's interested in to even a thousandth of his success with Amazon.

The FTC enforcement action is not good. I doubt Bezos was personally involved in the tip structure for flex delivery drivers. If you're operating one of the biggest companies in the world, you're going to have occasional slip-ups, lawsuits, government entanglements, etc. That's part and parcel of operating a multinational.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I don't get all the animosity towards Bezos in this thread. He's created one of the most iconic companies in the world that has contributed trillions towards global GDP, wealth, and development. I hope he's able to advance space exploration, carbon reduction, or whatever else he's interested in to even a thousandth of his success with Amazon.

The FTC enforcement action is not good. I doubt Bezos was personally involved in the tip structure for flex delivery drivers. If you're operating one of the biggest companies in the world, you're going to have occasional slip-ups, lawsuits, government entanglements, etc. That's part and parcel of operating a multinational.

Exactly. This is just a slip-up. Some middle-level manager mistakenly pushed the “keep the tips and fuck the drivers” button. There is no precedence of Amazon treating its employees like shit. None whatsoever.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Well, for one, he allowed for this confiscation of tips long enough for the feds to get involved.

Given the speed of federal response, he also insulated himself too well. His is a multinational concern, after all.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Moar
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Exactly. This is just a slip-up. Some middle-level manager mistakenly pushed the “keep the tips and fuck the drivers” button. There is no precedence of Amazon treating its employees like shit. None whatsoever.

There have been plenty of complaints of poor treatment , especially among Amazon warehouse workers,

14 minutes ago, CDAK said:

His minimum wage warehouse employees have to piss in cups while they work instead of taking bathroom breaks because they're not allowed unscheduled personal breaks.

He is a complete piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

His minimum wage warehouse employees have to piss in cups while they work instead of taking bathroom breaks because they're not allowed unscheduled personal breaks.

He is a complete piece of shit.

Argument well supported. If true.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Sometimes, a man will crab.

18 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Not just front line either.  When I finished grad school in data science, I was semi-head hunted by Amazon and did a first round interview.  When some of my coworkers heard about it, they told me that work/life balance is something that isn’t a part of the culture and even 20-somethings with no spouse, kids or life outside the office often have a hard time handling. 

Ive definitely put my career on pause since 2017 when I graduated and have left money on the table, but at my current employer I have an amazing boss whose motto is ‘family first’ and has backed that up countless times...I’m not micromanaged, I work odd hours sometimes so I can manage my 1st grader during his pointless asynchronous days, check out the moment a kiddo has a fever, take a day off because it’s a holiday with both school and daycares closed, etc.  that’s worth a lot of money to me. 

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I don't think this is accurate. The below article is from 2018. Did Amazon not follow through or were you referring to pre-2018 practices?
Amazon Sets $15 Minimum Wage For U.S. Employees, Including Temps : NPR

You're right the minimum wage thing was the important part of my post, not that Amazon has reduced the employer employee relationship down to wage slavery to the point where their employees are literally not allowed to take bathroom breaks.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17243026/amazon-warehouse-jobs-worker-conditions-bathroom-breaks
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're right the minimum wage thing was the important part of my post, not that Amazon has reduced the employer employee relationship down to wage slavery to the point where their employees are literally not allowed to take bathroom breaks.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/16/17243026/amazon-warehouse-jobs-worker-conditions-bathroom-breaks

I don't know what the important part was. You made a few claims. At least one of them was false. When confronted, rather than acknowledge any error, you discarded your false claim as unimportant. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

I don't know what the important part was. You made a few claims. At least one of them was false. When confronted, rather than acknowledge any error, you discarded your false claim as unimportant. 

Anyway, how do you feel about the article I posted? You ok with employees being forced to urinate in cups and bottles or risk being fired? You're okay with him literally stealing his employee's wages? Just a good old magnanimous billionaire?
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Bathroom needs are human needs. Might be my age, but I’ll piss on anyone standing irrevocably between me and pressure equalization. At best.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Anyway, how do you feel about the article I posted? You ok with employees being forced to urinate in cups and bottles or risk being fired? You're okay with him literally stealing his employee's wages? Just a good old magnanimous billionaire?

Shockingly, you still haven't acknowledged any error. Just say you made a mistake and move on. I

I'm happy to read the article and respond - if I have anything to respond to (I'll read later tonight). Without reading, I think bathroom breaks should be allowed. 

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Holy crap.  A girl I went to elementary school with (and made out with in 7th grade) is married to Andy Jassy, who is now going to be CEO of Amazon.  And no, she is not hot.  But was always cool.

So you're saying she's going to be available pretty soon

• Haha 1

Jeff Bezos Tables Latest Breakthrough Cost-Cutting Idea After Realizing It’s Just Slaves

Deciding at the last minute to hold off due to ethical concerns, Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos reportedly set aside his latest cost-cutting initiative Wednesday after realizing it was actually human slavery. “On the surface, it seemed plausible—owning our employees’ bodies, implementing a mandatory 18-hour workday, restricting their movements, and not compensating them with anything besides minimal food and shelter—but then it started to sound really familiar in a bad way,” said Bezos, who acknowledged his fears were confirmed when Amazon’s general counsel kept reporting back that such labor arrangements had been illegal throughout the United States since 1865. “It’s too bad; the increased efficiency and cost savings would have been tremendous. And now I have to go explain to our shareholders why I spent $1.8 million outfitting all of our managers with bullwhips, shackles, and branding irons.” Bezos went on to describe the setback as temporary, saying it wouldn’t matter in five to 10 years when his entire workforce was robots.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Shockingly, you still haven't acknowledged any error. Just say you made a mistake and move on. I

I'm happy to read the article and respond - if I have anything to respond to (I'll read later tonight). Without reading, I think bathroom breaks should be allowed. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/05/amazon-workers-protest-unsafe-grueling-conditions-warehouse

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/11/amazon-warehouse-reports-show-worker-injuries/602530/

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/inside-the-hellish-workday-of-an-amazon-warehouse-employee/

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2020/4/1/21201162/amazon-delivery-delays-coronavirus-worker-strikes

• Like 1