Because Jeff Bezos doesn't have all the money in the world

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Shockingly, you still haven't acknowledged any error. Just say you made a mistake and move on. I
I'm happy to read the article and respond - if I have anything to respond to (I'll read later tonight). Without reading, I think bathroom breaks should be allowed. 
For fuck's sake Jeff, go relax on your yacht for a bit
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Why haven't they unionized if so poorly treated?

Because federal law, an ineffectual Department of Labor and very well paid and competent private attorneys who specialize in this area of law prevent it.  Being going on since 1980.

Duh.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Why haven't they unionized if so poorly treated?

There numerous national employment law defense firms who have entire division whose only goal is to prevent unionizing of employees among major corporations. They don’t hide it at all and they are very very good at it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

It's the ones delivering the 2-hour grocery delivery. When you checkout, it includes a tip amount that you can change or refuse. 

I imagine the Doordash-type drivers are having their tips stolen as well. 

Instacart is the absolute worse at this.  Somehow batch pay has mysteriously been cut in half or by two-thirds while the workload of each batch has doubled or more.   It's awful.  

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm starting to think that I'm literally the only person in the country who doesn't receive tips.

I thought you received just the tip?

2 hours ago, CDAK said:

I don't get all the animosity towards Bezos in this thread. He's created one of the most iconic companies in the world that has contributed trillions towards global GDP, wealth, and development. I hope he's able to advance space exploration, carbon reduction, or whatever else he's interested in to even a thousandth of his success with Amazon.

The FTC enforcement action is not good. I doubt Bezos was personally involved in the tip structure for flex delivery drivers. If you're operating one of the biggest companies in the world, you're going to have occasional slip-ups, lawsuits, government entanglements, etc. That's part and parcel of operating a multinational.

Because of how he treats his employees like slaves and doesn't pay an honest wage relative to the revenues of the company.   It's disgusting.  

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm starting to think that I'm literally the only person in the country who doesn't receive tips.

I’m starting to think I am the only person in the country who has never ordered anything off Amazon. I don’t see the point.

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m starting to think I am the only person in the country who has never ordered anything off Amazon. I don’t see the point.

Not the only one.  We've long avoided them based on principle.  Screw that slave driver. 

Not to mention that Whole Foods has turned to crap.  #BringBackTheSmokedSomethingSomethingWholeChickens

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CDAK said:

I don't get all the animosity towards Bezos in this thread. He's created one of the most iconic companies in the world that has contributed trillions towards global GDP, wealth, and development.

Know how I know that you've never known anybody who worked in an Amazon warehouse, or who was an entry level developer there?

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Know how I know that you've never known anybody who worked in an Amazon warehouse, or who was an entry level developer there?

I know a handful of Amazon employees but my anecdotes are just that.

The developers can get jobs anywhere. If they don't want the hours and stresses at Amazon, there are numerous companies that will hire them. They might be paid less, however.

I'm not as sure about the warehouse workers. But I imagine if they hated it, they'd quit and work at a comparable place (Walmart, UPS, etc.). Maybe they don't have that option during Covid, however, which is lamentable. Pre-Covid, unemployment was at record lows and job postings were at record highs.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

One of my grandsons worked in an Amazon warehouse for a couple of years. He was considered a long term employee by his peers. 

1 hour ago, CDAK said:

I know a handful of Amazon employees but my anecdotes are just that.

The developers can get jobs anywhere. If they don't want the hours and stresses at Amazon, there are numerous companies that will hire them. They might be paid less, however.

I'm not as sure about the warehouse workers. But I imagine if they hated it, they'd quit and work at a comparable place (Walmart, UPS, etc.). Maybe they don't have that option during Covid, however, which is lamentable. Pre-Covid, unemployment was at record lows and job postings were at record highs.

So if an employee works at a piece of shit company they should just quit and move on and the fact that the company is a piece of shit is just ignored and it’s somehow the fault of the employee. Got it. 

4 hours ago, CDAK said:

I don't think this is accurate. The below article is from 2018. Did Amazon not follow through or were you referring to pre-2018 practices?

Amazon Sets $15 Minimum Wage For U.S. Employees, Including Temps : NPR

What is not accurate? He said minimum wage workers are not provided the time to have bathroom breaks and finish their fulfillment demands. Nothing was said about the amount of their wages. Why the fuck are you going on about that when the treatment of employees that he is mentioning is the thing? The fact that some are wearing diapers during their shift and pissing in bottles is fucked. Don't act like he lied or ignored your $15 dollars, that doesn't negate the treatment of the employees.

• Hook 'Em 1

A hub in Alabama is on the verge of voting for unionization despite all of the voting roadblocks and 'uppity' accusations. I hope that it is a game changer.

While we are at it can we break off Amazon Web Services. It allows the other ambitions of Amazon to run at a loss in order to snuff out competition.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

What is not accurate? He said minimum wage workers are not provided the time to have bathroom breaks and finish their fulfillment demands. Nothing was said about the amount of their wages.

What does "minimum wage warehouse employee," which was his actual quote, mean to you if it has nothing to do with the amount of their wages? I interpreted "minimum wage" to mean the legal minimum wage. 

I didn't dispute (or affirm for that matter) the bathroom shit. I don't know much about it. I'll try to read the articles folks have posted. 

(I try not to respond to emotional diatribes but yours had a semblance of substance so here I am)

Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos | Watch S2020 E12 | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site

That he is talking about minimum wage workers, not managers or salaried workers.  This is a good doc that came out on PBS a while back. If you have the time, this isn't a bad documentary. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos | Watch S2020 E12 | FRONTLINE | PBS | Official Site

That he is talking about minimum wage workers, not managers or salaried workers.  This is a good doc that came out on PBS a while back. If you have the time, this isn't a bad documentary. 

Yeah, I was referencing Amazon's lowest paid workers. y The "minimum wage" thing was a passing comment. My point was pretty straightforward and obviously the heart of the point was that people are fucking pissing in bottles because they aren't allowed breaks. Dude just latched on to the minimum wage thing because he's on the wrong side of a stupid argument but doesn't want to admit it. My wife does the same thing so it's nothing I'm not used to.

• Haha 1

Hey I did a gig as a consultant at Amazon's 1.3 million sq. ft. warehouse facility on Mohave Street in Phoenix, AZ back in 2012.

How Amazon treated the associates in that facility was very poor. They wanted me to take on a senior leadership position within that facility, but I had to pass due to what I observed in that facility. By the way (I know I will catch some shit for this) I was a Vice President of Logistics for Kohl's Department Stores (opened/led Kohl's Southwest, Southeast, and West Coast warehouses) prior to my consultation job at Amazon. Absolutely no work/life balance for associates and management at that facility in Phoenix..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CDAK said:

What does "minimum wage warehouse employee," which was his actual quote, mean to you if it has nothing to do with the amount of their wages? I interpreted "minimum wage" to mean the legal minimum wage. 

I didn't dispute (or affirm for that matter) the bathroom shit. I don't know much about it. I'll try to read the articles folks have posted. 

(I try not to respond to emotional diatribes but yours had a semblance of substance so here I am)

https://bgr.com/2015/08/17/what-is-working-for-amazon-like/

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I was referencing Amazon's lowest paid workers. y The "minimum wage" thing was a passing comment. My point was pretty straightforward and obviously the heart of the point was that people are fucking pissing in bottles because they aren't allowed breaks. Dude just latched on to the minimum wage thing because he's on the wrong side of a stupid argument but doesn't want to admit it. My wife does the same thing so it's nothing I'm not used to.

You two can keep digging this hole. It's stupid. He didn't mean lowest paid employee at Amazon or hourly wage employee of any amount. That's ridiculous. Everybody interprets minimum wage employee as legal minimum wage.

"Hi my name is Bob, I'm a minimum wage employee at Silver Lake Capital."

"What? Silver Lake Capital pays you the legal minimum wage?"

"No, asshole. I make $7,000 per hour. By 'minimum wage,' I obviously meant that I'm paid per hour."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, CDAK said:

You two can keep digging this hole. It's stupid. He didn't mean lowest paid employee at Amazon or hourly wage employee of any amount. That's ridiculous. Everybody interprets minimum wage employee as legal minimum wage.

"Hi my name is Bob, I'm a minimum wage employee at Silver Lake Capital."

"What? Silver Lake Capital pays you the legal minimum wage?"

"No, asshole. I make $7,000 per hour. By 'minimum wage,' I obviously meant that I'm paid per hour."

Negged for refusing to address the point, repeatedly, while being a pedant and a Bezos bootlicker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If you have a chance, read Brad Stone's "The Everything Store:  The Story of Jeff Bezos."  It forecasted most of this and the threats to staff safety go back a long ways.  I was looking back through my Amazon order history.  I've made 12 purchases in 14 years.  But as a logistics junkie and in the trucking business, I am fascinated with their systems.   

Hey, Kroger!  My son says your store stinks!  /frankcostanza  

Really does make you appreciate everything HEB does for its partners and its communities.  HEB has been amazing during Covid-19.  

9 hours ago, Old Box Pusher said:

Hey I did a gig as a consultant at Amazon's 1.3 million sq. ft. warehouse facility on Mohave Street in Phoenix, AZ back in 2012.

How Amazon treated the associates in that facility was very poor. They wanted me to take on a senior leadership position within that facility, but I had to pass due to what I observed in that facility. By the way (I know I will catch some shit for this) I was a Vice President of Logistics for Kohl's Department Stores (opened/led Kohl's Southwest, Southeast, and West Coast warehouses) prior to my consultation job at Amazon. Absolutely no work/life balance for associates and management at that facility in Phoenix..

Bet you never were invited to ride on Jeff’s yacht.

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you have a chance, read Brad Stone's "The Everything Store:  The Story of Jeff Bezos."  It forecasted most of this and the threats to staff safety go back a long ways.  I was looking back through my Amazon order history.  I've made 12 purchases in 14 years.  But as a logistics junkie and in the trucking business, I am fascinated with their systems.   

Hey, Kroger!  My son says your store stinks!  /frankcostanza  

Really does make you appreciate everything HEB does for its partners and its communities.  HEB has been amazing during Covid-19.  

Charles Butt is going after Kroger in Houston like they owe his mama money. Seriously, he is literally encircling the top-selling Kroger stores, hollowing them out like a spider does a fly, and you love to see it. Kroger just cannot adapt and they don't know the market. They apparently don't even try -- they seem to think that Texans eat like Ohioans, and I find that not only wrong but insulting. 

I know a few people who actually prefer Kroger. None of these people are friends of mine. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Never doubt the power of negative pub here on Surly Horns. I posted this and literally within hours Bezos stepped down.

SurlyHorns: what starts here fucks up the world.

So you’re taking credit for predicting something that had already been announced?