2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

He's arguing that they aren't doping the ball to prevent wp and hpb.  They're doping it to get more break on their breaking balls and more rise on their fastballs.  And to be able to let it go at 100% effort and still hit the black.  Maybe if the k rate got to 50% everyone would acknowledge that it's a problem?

That’s not what’s being argued here. Everyone knows that’s been happening and that’s precisely why MLB is cracking down.

I argued that MLB screwed up by not in the past developing and enforcing a sensible policy on foreign substances in view of common practice for decades and which would prohibit the usage of the kinds of substances that have cropped up in the past few years specifically intended to create a substantial competitive advantage.  The kind of substances which have the capability of turning a pitcher with average stuff into a pitcher with elite stuff. This argument was apparently 100% wrong for reasons that have yet to be elucidated itt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All-Star starters in the link. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31747327/vladimir-guerrero-jr-fernando-tatis-jr-shohei-ohtani-lead-way-all-star-game-starters

Who would have bet on this guy getting voted in? 

2B: Adam Frazier, Pirates (first). Frazier entered Thursday hitting .327 and becomes the first Pirates player voted in as a starter since Andrew McCutchen in 2015 (Josh Bell started at DH in 2019).

11 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

That’s not what’s being argued here. Everyone knows that’s been happening and that’s precisely why MLB is cracking down.

I argued that MLB screwed up by not in the past developing and enforcing a sensible policy on foreign substances in view of common practice for decades and which would prohibit the usage of the kinds of substances that have cropped up in the past few years specifically intended to create a substantial competitive advantage.  The kind of substances which have the capability of turning a pitcher with average stuff into a pitcher with elite stuff. This argument was apparently 100% wrong for reasons that have yet to be elucidated itt. 

They did develop a sensible policy. It's in the rules and everything. Previous enforcement is a valid concern but you're in this thread defending the pitchers who are upset now that MLB is actually enforcing the rules, so you can see the credibility issue with your logic.

Your argument is basically "the problem is you've never enforced the rules so you can't enforce the rules."

12 hours ago, WBT said:

He's arguing that they aren't doping the ball to prevent wp and hpb.  They're doping it to get more break on their breaking balls and more rise on their fastballs.  And to be able to let it go at 100% effort and still hit the black.  Maybe if the k rate got to 50% everyone would acknowledge that it's a problem?

For the millionth time, it’s currently beyond human capability to get a fastball (thrown overhand) to rise.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They did develop a sensible policy. It's in the rules and everything. Previous enforcement is a valid concern but you're in this thread defending the pitchers who are upset now that MLB is actually enforcing the rules, so you can see the credibility issue with your logic.

Your argument is basically "the problem is you've never enforced the rules so you can't enforce the rules."

No, my argument is that the players have reason to gripe about MLB mid-season announcing that they will be suspending players caught using substances that have been used nearly universally by pitchers for decades because some players began recently using other substances for a different purpose and which, if adopted more widely throughout the league, could accelerate (if it hadn't already) the decline in offense and BIPs that MLB is concerned about.  Now pitchers overnight are having to adjust their grip/mechanics to adjust and which Glasnow claims is responsible for his injury. 

If they wanted to begin enforcing the rules they should have warned the players that they would begin policing the rule (including issuing suspensions) before spring training when pitchers would have more time to adjust.  I think it's also silly to suspend players for using the older, more common substances that MLB doesn't care about and which has nothing to due with the current crackdown.  I really don't even fault the players for pushing the boundaries in view of MLB's lack of enforcement.  This isn't your kid's little league team - their livelihoods depend on providing value to their organizations and so of course they are going to push the limits when there is no serious enforcement.  It's not a surprise at all that as soon as teams/players figured out how meaningful spin is to performance players began enhancing it with foreign substances like Spider Tack.

Nationals left fielder Kyle Schwarber left tonight’s game after suffering an apparent right leg injury.  Schwarber singled in the second inning but stepped awkwardly while rounding first base, leaving Schwarber favoring his leg (particularly the upper portion, making a hamstring injury a possibility).  Gerardo Parra replaced Schwarber as a pinch-runner and in left field.

Did not know Parra was still employed. 

He also may never hit .300 in a full season again.  It's wild how Altuve has so transformed himself from an empty batting average slap-hitter into a guy who walks and slugs home runs.  Can't imagine there are many players that like that.
I'll e it was an r u fort have lookahead of dsw of sodcossoxuzidi#____$$$3$¢$¢$$$$$$$¢$$$$$$$$¢$$$$$$$$$$ddddddd DD see dress so way too íciccccicc7+-8-&7

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'll e it was an r u fort have lookahead of dsw of sodcossoxuzidi#____$$$3$¢$¢$$$$$$$¢$$$$$$$$¢$$$$$$$$$$ddddddd DD see dress so way too íciccccicc7+-8-&7

lol I was outside in the garage sanding some bathroom cabinets. 

pocket surl. 

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Dude. Calm. Down. 

• Haha 1

Nice tag by the catcher, too.
Great play all around, quintessential baseball dramatics. Hernandez executed a perfect somersault seed to home plate.

Walkoff homers are cool and all but game-changing, bang-bang outfield assists where the outfielder makes a great throw and catcher gets down a perfect tag are just as enjoyable.