2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

Girardi has never struck me as being real bright:

“There were some coaches that were screaming at me,” Girardi said. “Coaches that I know. And it bothered me. Right? I mean, I’m not playing games. I’m trying to win games here. I’m not playing games. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Pitchers went too far with some of the substances.  many have admitted to using them, or they refuse to answer which means the same thing. Now they’re mad when baseball wants to check them?

Maybe, but a mid-inning check request by an opposing manager is pure bs, imo.  

When you hear Max Scherzer say, “These are Manfred rules. Go ask him what he wants to do with this,” how do you take that and do you wish now you were more transparent in the process?

Manfred: First of all, it would be incorrect, blatantly incorrect, to assume that the players and the union did not a) provide input into what we are doing and b) have additional opportunities to provide input that they did not take advantage of. The transparency that I owe is to the players. We were really transparent from the beginning of the year that this was an issue of concern to us and that things needed to change. That’s why we were collecting information. We were clear in the March memo we sent out if things didn’t change there was going to be discipline. We, around the owners meetings there was a ton of publicity around the fact that things had not changed. In fact they had gotten worse.

I just don’t see any secret about where this was headed and I know for a fact there was plenty of opportunity for input in the process.

https://theathletic.com/2669798/2021/06/23/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-responds-to-the-enforcement-on-sticky-substances-the-first-two-days-have-gone-very-well/

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Manfred is an idiot, but for sure the MLBPA and MLB players in general seem to be very stupid as well. Never know who to believe.

It's crystal clear who to believe in this instance and it's not guys like Trevor Bauer.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Maybe, but a mid-inning check request by an opposing manager is pure bs, imo.  

Scherzer was running his hand through his hair a lot; more habitually than he has done in the past.  He could have had some kind of sticky product in his hair that would be very hard to detect - mousse, gel, hairspray.  Scherzer sure was defensive about it.  I think Girardi is an asshole, but I also think he had a legit reasons for suspecting something.  The unwritten rule that managers look the other way has been re-unwritten.  Shit like this was bound to happen.

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Scherzer was running his hand through his hair a lot; more habitually than he has done in the past.  He could have had some kind of sticky product in his hair that would be very hard to detect - mousse, gel, hairspray.  Scherzer sure was defensive about it.  I think Girardi is an asshole, but I also think he had a legit reasons for suspecting something.  The unwritten rule that managers look the other way has been re-unwritten.  Shit like this was bound to happen.

I agree and Scherzer was being a megadouche about it. The easy response from the Nats should have been to ask for the ump to check the Phillies pitcher.

This was an isolated incident that isn't likely to be the norm but the Manfred haterz are running wild with this as an indictment against the league's policy when in reality it's just a matter of certain players making fools of themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

oh my god, i just saw the josh naylor injury. i'm not even going to post it. snapped his leg in half on an OF collision with a teammate. he was rolling around the OF grass screaming bloody murder. that type of injury could end his career. the other players (for both teams) were visibly shaken ups just terrible stuff.

i mean it's as bad PG13, Gordon Hayward, and Joe Theisman, so i wouldn't call that a 3/10. also, in the video i saw it kept playing well after the injury, where you could really see his leg flopping around. you also saw him pounding the grass, screaming out in pain, and crawling along the ground while his teammates around him watched on all horrified. it was bad. somewhat reminiscent of when Jason Kendall dislocated his ankle.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Reminds me of that scene in band of brothers where the Germans were so shocked that the American guy was running past their lines that they didn’t think to shoot at him. Dbacks infield was so surprised at how slow he was moving they couldn’t comprehend that he was still a part of the play.

• Haha 1

Rockies are 25-16 at home, not far off the pace of the best teams in baseball.  Yet they are cellar dwellers because of an ungodly 6-31 road record.

This would be, of course, the worst road record in MLB history.  That split cannot hold any longer.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-2021-rockies-are-on-pace-to-be-the-worst-road-team-in-mlb-history/