Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

I walk past a cube farm office every day, twice a day, and on one of the tables, in plain sight of God and everybody, is a stack of paper plates and forks. I know they must have had a pot luck or something at some point, but shouldn't somebody have picked that stuff up and put it away some time in the last three months? Don't they have a break room or something?

On 9/8/2018 at 10:47 AM, NorthLoop said:

My dog smells like fritos, even after a fresh bath

I used to have a retired greyhound whose feet smelled like Fritos and whose head smelled like sweetgrass. Had another retired greyhound who smelled like maple syrup for the first month or so that we had her. 

10 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I used to have a retired greyhound whose feet smelled like Fritos and whose head smelled like sweetgrass. Had another retired greyhound who smelled like maple syrup for the first month or so that we had her. 

What's more, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's punching it in on a keypad. The software interface is expecting a numeric value. If it says "3/22" on your card, just say "three, twenty-two." You're complicating things unnecessarily. 

I'm complicating things unnecessarily? By having the man who is preparing my pizza convert "March" to a numerical equivalent? The man makes pizza gdammit, I think he can handle this "problem". 

23 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'm complicating things unnecessarily? By having the man who is preparing my pizza convert "March" to a numerical equivalent? The man makes pizza gdammit, I think he can handle this "problem". 

Does it say "March" on your card? You're the one introducing a conversion and expecting the other person to convert it back. Try just reading it the way it's imprinted on your card next time and see how much more smoothly it goes. 

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Does it say "March" on your card? You're the one introducing a conversion and expecting the other person to convert it back. Try just reading it the way it's imprinted on your card next time and see how much more smoothly it goes. 

It's a symbol that represents March. Do you even context, bro? The man asked for the expiration date, not what was stamped on my card.

Edited by El Diablo

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

It's a symbol that represents March. Do you even context, bro?

Lol. Context? 'Duh, yeah, well it says "3" but I know that means March on the calendar so I'll say "March" and assume he'll understand the context and enter "3" into the customer service interface.' Apparently you don't value efficiency. 

Try putting yourself in the shoes of the person on the other end of the phone. What level of expertise are you expecting from him? Try thinking in terms of making life for the person who is trying to help you as easy as possible. 

Lol. Context? 'Duh, yeah, well it says "3" but I know that means March on the calendar so I'll say "March" and assume he'll understand the context and enter "3" into the customer service interface.' Apparently you don't value efficiency. 

Try putting yourself in the shoes of the person on the other end of the phone. What level of expertise are you expecting from him? Try thinking in terms of making life for the person who is trying to help you as easy as possible. 

I guess I don't understand how long it takes for someone else to make the conversion. I'm pretty quick at it myself. How long did you work on it? :) 

I'm not sure how it works, but if I was heading to the electric chair, my last meal would consist of steaming me 15 artichokes with some drawn butter with a dash of lemon. Take the leaves off and leave the hearts for me to eat. Chase it down with a good IPA or ice tea.

I'd rather have that than a steak, sushi, etc which I love.

As a kid I guffawed when people say "they don't make em like they used to"....I thought it was just something crotchety old fucks repeat just for the sake of it. 

Or when they judge a product based on toughness and weight.

I thought it was crude, and antiquated method of evaluation. 

New = light = tech = modern, ye gimpy old fucks.

One time I needed a new vacuum cleaner, a gimpy, crotchety old fuck at work said "government recently passed regulation limiting the power of new vacuum cleaners; go to xxx and find the old models of yyy"

I did as instructed and sure enough...got a machine as tough as a tank and sucks like a seasoned whore.

Now with a bit more wisdom on general manufacturing, business, material science, etc etc .... when looking for power tools, floor fans, speakers, etc, give me the old, heavy-as-rocks copy each and every time.

• Like 1

Just hit the enter/return key once when starting a new paragraph. Once looks like this:

See? Double spacing. Twice looks like this:

Quadruple spacing. The last icon on the right in the row of icons above the text editor, the one that looks like a document with a folded or "dog-eared" corner, lets you preview your post. 

And yes, planned obsolescence sucks. Imagine owning a TV that works for more than 20-30 years. The TV my family owned when I was born was still working just fine after I went to college and moved away from home. Where's the profit in that? Quality doesn't pay. The Sony Trinitron I bought in 1998 started to break down in three years and was dead in six. (Fuck Sony, btw.)

As a kid I guffawed when people say "they don't make em like they used to"....I thought it was just something crotchety old fucks repeat just for the sake of it. 

One time I needed a new vacuum cleaner, a gimpy, crotchety old fuck at work said "government recently passed regulation limiting the power of new vacuum cleaners; go to xxx and find the old models of yyy"

I did as instructed and sure enough...got a machine as tough as a tank and sucks like a seasoned whore.

Now with a bit more wisdom on general manufacturing, business, material science, etc etc .... when looking for power tools, floor fans, speakers, etc, give me the old, heavy-as-rocks copy each and every time.

Appliances definitely don't last like they used to. Seems washers and dryers have a 8 to 10 year life span.

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Read more  

Appliances definitely don't last like they used to. Seems washers and dryers have a 8 to 10 year life span.

You have to remember there was a whole industry dedicated to repairing the good old stuff.

Now when a part on an $800 washer goes out it doesn't make much fiscal sense to put $50 worth of parts and $600 worth of labor into fixing it.

• Like 1

Hits close to home because I got roped into a new French door fridge via no interest and great Labor Day savings recently and it was almost $3k. I imagine it will last a decade, which is what our last French door fridge did before the color on it went obsolete (my wife is redoing our kitchen away from black and into matte stainless fingerprint free steel)

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
19 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Read more  

Considering your "heavier is better" approach to the women I am not surprised by your stance on appliances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1