Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

The thought crossed my mind, unbidden and apropos of nothing, that someone out there has almost certainly shipped Homer Simpson with Ned Flanders, and I now hate every choice I've made in my life, as they've led me to this moment.

Something weird and fucky today. Did a 11pm run to airport. I saw no less than 20 cars without their headlights on, or at most only their parking lights on. I flashed a few of the ones ahead of me (same direction) to no avail. Also saw a bunch of cars with only 1 functioning head or tail light. 

Never seen that much on a single drive. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Something weird and fucky today. Did a 11pm run to airport. I saw no less than 20 cars without their headlights on, or at most only their parking lights on. I flashed a few of the ones ahead of me (same direction) to no avail. Also saw a bunch of cars with only 1 functioning head or tail light. 

Hey some of us live in America. The 3rd world thread is on texags.

• Hook 'Em 1

I drove past Talladega last Monday going west about 11am. There were a hundred RVs headed east and the race was still running. So people just go for the party? Also, there were entire trucks of people's golf carts being shipped to the next stop. So people go in an RV, but pay someone else to take their golf cart? Make it make sense. 

This is a thing now. I flash my lights at them, over and over…nada.

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

My theory is because we’re in this weird transition period in which most new cars have auto headlight functions, but most old cars don’t. So people sometimes drive a car that has the function, and sometimes drive a car that doesn’t. They get used to the function in their new car and forget to turn them on in the old. 

The problem is compounded because many newer cars also have daytime running lights, which means that the parking lights are always on, and sometimes means the headlights are on, but not the tail lights.  When it gets dark, people see the light in front of them because of the running lights function, and never turn on the full headlights. 

On 4/28/2024 at 8:21 AM, tbone_ said:

So tl;dr - people are stupid?

Yes. People are dumb and/or intoxicated enough to not realize when their fucking headlights are off.

Edited by ztejas

6 hours ago, nnm said:

My theory is because we’re in this weird transition period in which most new cars have auto headlight functions, but most old cars don’t. So people sometimes drive a car that has the function, and sometimes drive a car that doesn’t. They get used to the function in their new car and forget to turn them on in the old. 

The problem is compounded because many newer cars also have daytime running lights, which means that the parking lights are always on, and sometimes means the headlights are on, but not the tail lights.  When it gets dark, people see the light in front of them because of the running lights function, and never turn on the full headlights. 

For sure this is why, but ive never seen so many of them on the same drive. Highway was well lit, but 11pm is 11pm and ambient was dark that they shouldve noticed. And the cars with the busted lights - annual inspections are strict so that was also unusual to see. 

• Like 1

Well I went to both the game in Austin and the one in D.C.  And they beat they shit out of us both times.  And I only got one crabcake between the two trips and it was fantastic.  So, I dunno.  

Random thought-every year about 30,000 people kill themselves with a gun in this country.  After they do that, do they still responsibly secure the gun safely so nobody else can access it, or?  

Edited by YGIFS

I get that.
What I don’t get is that there is zero awareness of someone behind them flashing their lights and even honking at them.
  • Like 1

Maybe this should be in the football thread, but with the disparity of talent the worst pro team could easily demolish the best college team, but what about the UFL? Haven’t seen a lot but the talent seems better than I expected.

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Random thought-every year about 30,000 people kill themselves with a gun in this country.  After they do that, do they still responsibly secure the gun safely so nobody else can access it, or?  

Whatever your point is, you failed…

27 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Whatever your point is, you failed…

You’ve never ever wondered what happens to all those weapons?  Obviously most of the time another adult or first responder finds it. Or it’s some kinda murder-suicide.   But a guy at a meeting of ours did it and kids found it.  Thankfully nothing more tragic happened.  But that’s 30k weapons dropped on floors or in cars. I had a random thought that we never really give much thought to what happens after somebody finds it that doesn’t know what they’re doing or is in shock.  Just something random and tragic that we never talk about as a society.  Coulda been so much worse

6 hours ago, Superhero said:

My next for neighbors listed their house for $1.8M, which I thought was a tad low.

I checked Zillow last night and the house was sold for $2M.

Crazy. 

i-dont-mean-to-boast-brag.gif

Here is 15 year old Tyson fighting some 15 year old palooka. My guess is this is probably a fair representation of what any of us would do against Iron Mike. 

I hope he murders Logan Paul. And then I hope everyone forgets who Logan Paul was. And then all of Logan Paul’s family is forced to drink prime until the microplastics kill at least the other brother.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I have noticed over the years a high number of not quite evil, but villain adjacent characters in shows and movies who will have a discussion with a primary character (good, bad, or indifferent) at some sort of lowly restaurant/diner/coffee shop/etc.  And their veiled threat will come just as they are reaching for a tissue paper-thin napkin from one those old school vertical metallic dispensers as they dispense with their commentary.  And barely wipe their mouth before making their exit.  I never realized what a ubiquitous trope it was/is.  

Also, we need to celebrate libraries more for recycling all the batteries from all my kids' shit toys that run through them like Mike Lindell runs through 8-balls.  

Tyson vs lil Roy Jones was a lot of 1 punch and then clinching. All boxers look impressive when shadow boxing.  I just hope his cardio holds up at his age. 

That said, Jake shows basically 0 cardio fighting washouts so who knows...

This is what I hate about our world.

In a normal world, I’d say wtf does Jake Paul have to gain from this fight? If he wins, congrats dickhead, you just beat a 60 yo guy. If he loses, congrats dickhead, you just lost to a 60 yo guy.

But in this shittastic bizzarro simulation world, he wins just because it gets people talking about him. Reality tv trumps all.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

This is what I hate about our world.

In a normal world, I’d say wtf does Jake Paul have to gain from this fight? If he wins, congrats dickhead, you just beat a 60 yo guy. If he loses, congrats dickhead, you just lost to a 60 yo guy.

But in this shittastic bizzarro simulation world, he wins just because it gets people talking about him. Reality tv trumps all.

giphy.gif

Watch the Netflix Untold: Jake Paul the Problem Child.  It’s all about promotion. Tyson loves Jake. Thinks he’s great for the sport.  More people have watched JP fights than any fight in recent memory.

Whatever the result, it’s not going to be a Tyson walkover, because Mike wants to promote. It’s not about boxing skills.  It’s about eyeballs and dollars.

For the record, I think “influencers” like JP are a scourge on society. 

Reminds me of the 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” farce where Billie Jean King whipped 55 year old big mouth Bobby Riggs in three straight sets 6/4, 6/3, 6/3. 
30,000 watched it in the Astrodome along with 90 million on TV. 
IIRC, it was $100,000 - winner take all.

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I bet cardio decides it.  Tyson will still have old man strength and if he can hit him early, it'll be lights out (fingers crossed).  If Paul can clench and jump around the ring for a few rounds, there is no way a grandpa can keep doing that forever.

They're wearing 16 oz gloves. While I have no doubt me being hit by Tyson wearing them would kill me, in the world of boxing it's akin to being hit by a pillow. 

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Reminds me of the 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” farce where Billie Jean King whipped 55 year old big mouth Bobby Riggs in three straight sets 6/4, 6/3, 6/3. 
30,000 watched it in the Astrodome along with 90 million on TV. 
IIRC, it was $100,000 - winner take all.

Bobby Riggs was a tennis hustler deluxe. I know he had a angle to make money, even while losing. 

Watch the Netflix Untold: Jake Paul the Problem Child.  It’s all about promotion. Tyson loves Jake. Thinks he’s great for the sport.  More people have watched JP fights than any fight in recent memory.
Whatever the result, it’s not going to be a Tyson walkover, because Mike wants to promote. It’s not about boxing skills.  It’s about eyeballs and dollars.
For the record, I think “influencers” like JP are a scourge on society. 

All makes sense. I’ll pass on the Netflix doc.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:09 AM, Horn_Spanker said:

Went to pick up a prescription and was told it would be $67.  Why so high?  Insurance doesn't like the quantity of 20.  Took out two and the price dropped to $2.

WTF?

So, 18 boners before you need a refill?

7 hours ago, Crapinon said:

They're wearing 16 oz gloves. While I have no doubt me being hit by Tyson wearing them would kill me, in the world of boxing it's akin to being hit by a pillow. 

I was under the impression that gloves amplified the concussive force. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I was under the impression that gloves amplified the concussive force. 

I don't think so. It means more padding and the heavier the glove the more energy you have to exert to move it. 

"A heavier glove does not hit harder, nor does it hurt the opponent more. Choosing a heavier glove is more about ensuring the safety of you and your partner than about inflicting damage on an opponent. Heavier gloves have more padding, designed to better soften the blow of a hard hit as you leverage your body weight into a punch. To hit harder, work on improving your technique - not sizing up your gloves."

https://blog.joinfightcamp.com/boxing-equipment/boxing-glove-ounces-explained/