Bourbon

Jimbaround

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know where an MSRP bottle of EH TaylorSingle Barrel is. Should I buy it? Serious question, I’ve never had it.

The man, the myth, the legend has never had EH Taylor Single Barrel. 

It's a 85-88 bourbon. If you're willing to pay $55-60 for it, go for it. 

It's fairly consistent. I haven't liked a particular year or barrel more than the other. 

1 minute ago, mbpcb said:

Thanks. Was planning to go to that location with friends tomorrow.

Whiskey Cake is probably the only thing in Katy I wish we had inside the loop. If I lived nearby I'd probably be in there a couple times a week. 

I love Eight Row Flint, but the place is always packed. Whiskey Cake is a much more relaxed scene with actual food options. 

I’m a noob to the deep bourbon game. I’ve always just thrown back jack/crown and cokes and thought I knew stuff about whiskey. 

I’m starting to dip my feet into the waters of straight whiskey. Got a bottle of woodford and makers for Christmas. Looking forward to developing my tastes and taking some recs from you assholes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’m a noob to the deep bourbon game. I’ve always just thrown back jack/crown and cokes and thought I knew stuff about whiskey. 

I’m starting to dip my feet into the waters of straight whiskey. Got a bottle of woodford and makers for Christmas. Looking forward to developing my tastes and taking some recs from you assholes. 

Some years ago, I asked if they had any Blanton's in the back on a whim. They came back with Blanton's and a store pick of Eagle Rare. I've been hooked every since. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know where an MSRP bottle of EH TaylorSingle Barrel is. Should I buy it? Serious question, I’ve never had it.

Of course.  It’s good for $60 and I’m not opposed to paying $80.  At $60 it’s one of the better commonly available options.  Over $80 and it will get worked by other options.  Came in last for this lineup.  

imgur

Edited by USCATX

Help me choose my next bottle. I just did a recon mission at the LS near my office. I've narrowed down the options to Harper 15, ETH Single Barrel, Pikesville Rye, or EC Barrel Proof. I'm leaning towards the EC but could be persuaded to go a different route.

They also have a few bottles of Blanton's left of the shelf. I'll probably grab one or two of those as well. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Help me choose my next bottle. I just did a recon mission at the LS near my office. I've narrowed down the options to Harper 15, ETH Single Barrel, Pikesville Rye, or EC Barrel Proof. I'm leaning towards the EC but could be persuaded to go a different route.

They also have a few bottles of Blanton's left of the shelf. I'll probably grab one or two of those as well. 

They have a few bottles of Blantons ?  Well there's half your answer: a few bottles of Blantons.

17 hours ago, USCATX said:

Of course.  It’s good for $60 and I’m not opposed to paying $80.  At $60 it’s one of the better commonly available options.  Over $80 and it will get worked by other options.  Came in last for this lineup.  

Please tell me more about the Wild Turkey bottle. I've heard it referenced on a few a podcasts. Is it an older bottle? 

I've heard Wild Turkey 101 in the early 2000's tastes quite a bit better than it does now. I remember drinking some pretty respectable bottles of it in about 2008. 

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If you've never had Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, I'd go with that. The 2018 release received great reviews, but I wasn't that impressed with my bottle. It's possible I drank one of the lesser than batches. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You couldn't have started off any luckier IMO.  Your results may have varied.

The young man that helped me is a real sweetheart. His store allows him to sample everything that comes in, and he's never steered me wrong. If something isn't that good or not worth the money he'll tell me so. He never pushes any new products on me, and he'll tell me not to stop by if nothing good is in the store. "We don't have anything in the store up to your standard sir." That line always cracks me up. 

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Fuck,   get all of them.  All great bottles.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll go ahead and give Jefferson’s Reserve Double Oaked a Buy recommendation if you can find a store pick/ Single Barrel.

I’m not in love with price, but it’s pretty good and unique. It drinks like a better, older version of 1910. 

Pretty sure I saw a bunch in the case at Specs Bee Cave. 

2 minutes ago, thestud said:

Damnit CK. I just acquired an extra ‘18 GTS that I would be interested in trading. But I see you’re not interested in shipping. Bummer

Have plane will travel, but would prefer something other than another GTS. Whats your feedback on the 2018. Its lower proof, but hearing good word by mouth.

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just opened a John J. Bowman single barrel. The nose was all alcohol, which was strange as it’s only 100 proof. However on the palate, it was delightful. Not too strong, a warm classic bourbon taste. Well balanced. The finish was too short. 

I've noticed it's about the same. It's one of the bastard brands of Sazerac. I doubt they pump much money or attention into it. If you live in Viriginia it'd be a cool story to serve to your guests. It's a solid 80 bourbon for me, but I've had some bottles that would score better. 

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've noticed it's about the same. It's one of the bastard brands of Sazerac. I doubt they pump much money or attention into it. If you live in Viriginia it'd be a cool story to serve to your guests. It's a solid 80 bourbon for me, but I've had some bottles that would score better. 

It’s fine. Nothing great, but good. Anything to keep me from drinking all my Weller 12

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s fine. Nothing great, but good. Anything to keep me from drinking all my Weller 12

They have a few offerings that are all pretty decent, but nothing that blows me away.  Just opened their port barrel finished bourbon.  Best served neat in my opinion, gives you the best nose and flavor.

I usually drop a small ice cube (not one of those stupid ass, titanic sinking icebergs that have become all the rage) in my bourbon, that contracted the flavors in my opinion.  It drinks best as it warms up and the nose and  flavor really opens up

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please tell me more about the Wild Turkey bottle. I've heard it referenced on a few a podcasts. Is it an older bottle? 

I've heard Wild Turkey 101 in the early 2000's tastes quite a bit better than it does now. I remember drinking some pretty respectable bottles of it in about 2008. 

It’s just age stated export 101. But damn it’s good and I really like it.  Not sure what the exact age is because it’s not laser coded like US Wild Turkey.  I picked it up because an additional bottle is only $10 more shipping when ordering Blanton’s Gold from the UK.  And then I can go all bourbon snob on people when they come to the house.  “You want to try this?  It’s not available in the US.”

Edited by USCATX

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked another liter of Weller 12. Just a lucky find when I asked for something cheap and good. 

I'm glad I stocked up last year. I'm going to be up against in 2019. 

You lucky SOB. 

I am also trying to clear out some bottles I’ve built up. The wife was asking too many questions. 

2 minutes ago, USCATX said:

It’s just age stated export 101. But damn it’s good and I really like it.  Not sure what the exact age is because it’s not laser coded like US Wild Turkey.  I picked it up because an additional bottle is only $10 more shipping when ordering Blanton’s Gold from the UK.  And then I can go all bourbon snob on people when they come to the house.  “You want to try this?  It’s not available in the US.”

Color me intrigued. I think it's safe to assume that Campari is selling the choice Wild Turkey 101 abroad. Man this stuff frustrates me to no end. Just sell a Wild Turkey 101 88 for $10-$20 more in the US. 

I just bottled my final home barrel. I "finished" the barrel a Woodford Reserve Rye and aged Very Old Barton BiB 6 Year for a month. I'm retired after this one. I've used the barrel 3 times, and I'm not buying another one. 

Vatting or blending sounds more interesting to me now. I might try this if I can find some Buffalo Trace White Dog and if I get bored during the offseason. http://bourbonr.com/blog/how-to-age-whiskey-at-home/

Some tips for you brave home barrelers: 

- Don't buy a 2 liter barrel. You'll have to buy a handle and another 750 ml just to fill it up. This can get expensive. It could potentially leak more, but get the 1 liter barrel. 

- Fill the barrel all the way to the top. 

- Rotate the barrel every 2 days. By this I mean, pick up the son of a gun up and turn it upside down. Barrels leak primarily because the top drys out. This will also greatly increase your yield. 

- Barrel cheap stuff. You're going to lose 25% to the angel's share and leaks. I'd suggest Very Old Barton SiB and Old Overholt Rye. I'd go bourbon - rye - bourbon. Your third batch should be the best because of the rye finish. 

- I sealed my barrel with limestone water from Kentucky. It was expensive (for water) and probably a dumb buy. Ozarka probably would have worked just as well. Rinse out your barrel and let it dry for 24 hours between uses. 

- Don't barrel age for more a month. Again angel's share/leakage, and it doesn't improve much between 4 weeks to 8 weeks. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I finally caved and bought a bottle of the OF1910.  It’s good, but a little heavy handed with the sweetness.  It’s like a sweet, less complex Little Book   

Still pissed I passed on a bottle of Little Book. I've never seen it or heard it mentioned by my bourbon guys in Houston. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still pissed I passed on a bottle of Little Book. I've never seen it or heard it mentioned by my bourbon guys in Houston. 

I know where at least a dozen bottles are in Austin between $89 and $109.  Not hard to find at all.  

Read an article about the best “bottom shelf” bourbons. This was top of the list. I like it quite a bit. Decent complexity and a lot of flavors. Article said it should cost 12.99, I paid $15.99. I wouldn’t quite consider that “bottom shelf” but I’m pleased with the purchase.

a815ad328da3fd110f5976799368631c.jpg

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Read an article about the best “bottom shelf” bourbons. This was top of the list. I like it quite a bit. Decent complexity and a lot of flavors. Article said it should cost 12.99, I paid $15.99. I wouldn’t quite consider that “bottom shelf” but I’m pleased with the purchase.

If you think that's good. Try the BiB 6 Year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

BIB bond version is significantly better any only like $2 more. Sometimes they have 1.75l of it at Goody goody.