Bourbon

Jimbaround

OFBB on some website for $700. A worthy bottle for my wedding weekend in December?

This years release has been panned by just about everyone myself and BigD know. Not sure if placebo effect or coincidence, but it’s also the youngest ever BB release. If I find it at or near msrp I’ll buy it to form my own conclusions, but I’m not trading for it on the secondary market or playing any fireballs for it

Speaking of Smoke Wagon, we blind tasted these 6 bottles last night:

1. Remus Volstead 14
  2. Barrell Bourbon 15
  3. Smoke Wagon Private Barrel (Spec's)
  4. Weller Full Proof
  5. Kentucky Owl Wise Man
  6. EHT Barrel Proof

I ranked them 6, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1. The Smoke Wagon was in everyone's top 2-3, which is saying something given what we had on the table. It's something I will always try to have in my collection at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Evidently my local merchant sees me as a 'regular' when it comes to bourbon now.   Asked if I'd like one of these out of their allocation from behind the counter.   As a matter of fact, yessir, I would.

I know it's not a huge 'get,' but for $30 I was pretty pleased.  Might have been even better to know down the road he will keep me in mind...

Mc-K10year.jpg

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

Speaking of Smoke Wagon, we blind tasted these 6 bottles last night:

1. Remus Volstead 14
  2. Barrell Bourbon 15
  3. Smoke Wagon Private Barrel (Spec's)
  4. Weller Full Proof
  5. Kentucky Owl Wise Man
  6. EHT Barrel Proof

I ranked them 6, 3, 2, 4, 5, 1. The Smoke Wagon was in everyone's top 2-3, which is saying something given what we had on the table. It's something I will always try to have in my collection at this point. 

Who was present at this tasting? @Neonmoon and @USCATX?

It's interesting that EHT BP didn't make the top 3. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

This years release has been panned by just about everyone myself and BigD know. Not sure if placebo effect or coincidence, but it’s also the youngest ever BB release. If I find it at or near msrp I’ll buy it to form my own conclusions, but I’m not trading for it on the secondary market or playing any fireballs for it

I won't hold my breath on this one. I usually receive a bottle the week of Halloween, but I'm kind of indifferent this year. I'd rather get 150 to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EHT was my number one, and was in nearly everyone's top 3. I don't think my post was clear. My personal order of preference went EHTBP, Smoke Wagon, Barrell, WFP, Owl, and Remus.

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

EHT was my number one, and was in nearly everyone's top 3. I don't think my post was clear. My personal order of preference went EHTBP, Smoke Wagon, Barrell, WFP, Owl, and Remus.

Good to hear on the Smoke Wagon. I was slightly pissed when I saw that the Spec's barrel was only 8 years old. Every review I had seen up to that point was of 12 year old Smoke Wagon SiB. 

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

If any of y'all are interested Chris' Liquor on South Lamar has around 3 of these left. Deb's sold out before I could get to them but I picked one up at Chris' this morning.

image.png.069136a3650c6016b29759c2c67a2eb5.png

They also have some Old Forester barrel strength store picks left, but you have to put buy with another store pick. They have a few to pick from, but the OF is $100 itself. I combined that with a Russell’s Reserve pick they had for $70.

The OF is the same one that Debs had (they called it Over the Top). It’s like 135 proof, but it doesn’t have the cool sticker that Debs put on their bottle (if that matters to you). 

Edited by Yev Kassem

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Evidently my local merchant sees me as a 'regular' when it comes to bourbon now.   Asked if I'd like one of these out of their allocation from behind the counter.   As a matter of fact, yessir, I would.

I know it's not a huge 'get,' but for $30 I was pretty pleased.  Might have been even better to know down the road he will keep me in mind...

Mc-K10year.jpg

I stopped in at a liquor store in a little town in Minnesota this morning while picking up my new squaredrop camper.

I was quite pleased to get these for $38 each off the shelf.

C9CE7DEC-D3DF-4184-B954-C9E8A6785526.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Balmorhea sucks. Walking over to [mention=355]GreenspointTexas[/mention] house to throw him a beating for suggesting it. 

Do you like any of their other stuff? I tried some of the first batch last night and really liked it. It’s unmistakably a GB whiskey, but I’ve really come around on their flavor profile.

7 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Do you like any of their other stuff? I tried some of the first batch last night and really liked it. It’s unmistakably a GB whiskey, but I’ve really come around on their flavor profile.

I almost spit out their small batch earlier this year. Only Garrison Bros would send a sample DUDE to a liquor store. Please Dan, take yourself less seriously. 

Tried the single barrel at the distillery some years back. It was OK. It was beautiful property, and it was in the high 90s so literally any alcohol would taste good.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I always spit out their small batch earlier this year. Tried the single barrel at the distillery some years back. It was OK. It was beautiful property, and it was in the high 90s so literally any alcohol would taste good.

Well if you’re looking to rehome that bottle, I’m happy to be of assistance.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Balmorhea sucks. Walking over to @GreenspointTexas house to throw him a beating for suggesting it. 

Man, sorry you didnt like it. But will also say you are the only person I know of that did not care for it. 

Shit, Murray named it Micro Whiskey of the Year a few years back

To give Balmorhea some credit, it’s different. You’ll never confuse it with a Kentucky bourbon or a MGP. It kind of reminds me of a Woodinville in that it tastes very, very different from something you’ve tasted before. 

Balmorhea looks like a cup of black coffee in a glencairn. Should be a dead give away in a blind tasting. 

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ha, Remus Volstead is money but I can’t imagine it not getting crushed by EHTBP for me.  The real contest would be Volstead vs EHTSiB, Masters Keep 17, Knob 15 LE and Wm Heavenhill BiB in a Power 5 conference/distillery 100 proof throw down.  

4 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Ha, Remus Volstead is money but I can’t imagine it not getting crushed by EHTBP for me.  The real contest would be Volstead vs EHTSiB, Masters Keep 17, Knob 15 LE and Wm Heavenhill BiB in a Power 5 conference/distillery 100 proof throw down.  

I like where your head is at. I think a good barrel of McKenna 10 could run the table in that competition. 

7 minutes ago, After irth said:

Had a decent haul this week. Stocking up the essentials and trying something new on a friend’s recommendation. 

4BD26315-9D72-4CF0-8B5D-7C78304A9370.jpeg

Whoever recommended that Peerless is not your friend.  Worst bourbon I drank or bought in ‘19, losing out slightly in the worst whiskey category to Balcones Rye. 

• Like 1

I wondered about that. This dude loves anything and everything and is always falling prey to the next new thing. Plus, he drinks Irish, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey...anything. So...not sure if his palate is refined or he’s just a dumbass. Aside from all that, he IS a good friend. 

He was also with me when I shopped. And there was one bottle of Peerless on the shelf. I caved to his peer pressure. 

At the very least, I’ll cross it off the list and just feed it to him when he visits. 

Thanks for the warning. Kinda makes me wanna crack it now. 

I like where your head is at. I think a good barrel of McKenna 10 could run the table in that competition. 

McKenna is great for what it is: a 10
Year bottle at a very reasonable price. It is most definitely not something I would even consider including in a flight amongst the likes of KC 14+ or an EHT single barrel.

HH bib is overrated. Part of what made it so enjoyable was the $16 price tag.

30 minutes ago, After irth said:

I wondered about that. This dude loves anything and everything and is always falling prey to the next new thing. Plus, he drinks Irish, Scotch, Bourbon, Whiskey...anything. So...not sure if his palate is refined or he’s just a dumbass. Aside from all that, he IS a good friend. 

He was also with me when I shopped. And there was one bottle of Peerless on the shelf. I caved to his peer pressure. 

At the very least, I’ll cross it off the list and just feed it to him when he visits. 

Thanks for the warning. Kinda makes me wanna crack it now. 

I love a good tater bottle and didn’t mind the Peerless Rye, but damn that bourbon is an overpriced joke. Crack it and let me know what you think. 

Edited by USCATX
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can’t match some Yankee basement/man cave but I’ll play a weak hand of a home office/mini cave/bourbon vault-closet. Pictures to come when it’s all put together. 

Looking real sharp so far Bill.  Looking forward to seeing the glamour shots later on. 

Sipping on some ER tonight.  Still a bit of a bourbon newby but Im slowly working out the kinks.  Had a pour of Blantons at lunch today to see what the fuss was all about.  I have to admit I thought it was not going to live up to the hype but damn it was fucking great.  I was kinda hoping it would fall short so I could write it off but it was great.  Didn’t get me wrong I won’t overpay for it but at anything close to retail that is my top target now.    

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

Sipping on some ER tonight.  Still a bit of a bourbon newby but Im slowly working out the kinks.  Had a pour of Blantons at lunch today to see what the fuss was all about.  I have to admit I thought it was not going to live up to the hype but damn it was fucking great.  I was kinda hoping it would fall short so I could write it off but it was great.  Didn’t get me wrong I won’t overpay for it but at anything close to retail that is my top target now.    

ER to Blanton’s is a very normal progression as you get started. Keep trying as many different types as possible. As you do so, come back to where you started and calibrate what you like best as you are exposed to more variety. I have ER and Blanton’s in my bar, but I rarely reach for them. They are fine, but very straight forward expressions. I prefer others that have more complexity/layered flavors or bourbons that are more unique due to the aging or finishing process.

I’d point you towards Old Forrester (1910, then 1920) and Four Roses (small batch or single barrel) as a next step.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, stork642 said:

I’m just here for the dump dates. 

• Hook 'Em 1