Bourbon

Jimbaround

17 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Brother in law is one of these who blows his wad chasing bourbon and waiting outside liquor stores like he's in the year 2000 waiting outside Walmart all night for a PS2 launch. I don't get it but it's not my time and money wasted. 

I enjoy a good scotch occasionally but haven't cared for bourbon so haven't tried any in years. What's the consensus on the best bottle of bourbon I could walk into a specs or total wine and buy tomorrow? I'd like to try one to see if I like it any better than 20 years ago. 

I like Angel's Envy sometime.  Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey are my everydays.

19 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Brother in law is one of these who blows his wad chasing bourbon and waiting outside liquor stores like he's in the year 2000 waiting outside Walmart all night for a PS2 launch. I don't get it but it's not my time and money wasted. 

I enjoy a good scotch occasionally but haven't cared for bourbon so haven't tried any in years. What's the consensus on the best bottle of bourbon I could walk into a specs or total wine and buy tomorrow? I'd like to try one to see if I like it any better than 20 years ago. 

In terms of bottles that are almost always on the shelf at TW, I'd say Old Forester 1910 and 4 Roses Small Batch Select.  Michter's and Knob Creek 12 are good choices as well.   

On 11/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

My God, Master’s Keep 17 Year BiB is oaky. Honestly, it tastes like a single malt scotch. Still a buy, but I don’t think the oak bomb warnings were emphasized enough. 

Oak bomb/luden's cherry cough drop. I love it for a special occasions but won't drink more than one in a night. 

20 hours ago, Hermanator said:

$300: Kentucky Owl Batch 10

$200: die in a fire

$150: Doc Swinson’s 15 

$90: Remus Repeal

$50: 1792 Full Proof Pick

$37.99: Dickel BiB

$21.99 Weller Special Reserve

If you called or asked around a bit the Rebecca Creek 12 year small batch or cask strength MGP is maybe doable.  Same with Elijah Craig Barrel Proof   

I know what this looks like, but no it's not that, it's Alton Brown's aged eggnog. I swap the bourbon with Rye, cause I love rye. Stick it in the fridge for a few weeks to age, and add a little nutmeg when you pour it. Great stuff, the rye really dulls the super sugar flavor most nog has.

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/
20211129_224248.jpg

21 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

i seem to like everything (maybe thats a problem) so i would like to try it.  specs guy said they got two and they went to the two guys with 100k and 75k points.

Wine guys spend an obscene amount of money on booze. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

20 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Interested to know your impressions of TD.
Have you tried it before or are you buying on a rec?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dallas guys in this thread suggested it. 

My Houston buddies say it’s similar to Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Dallas guys in this thread suggested it. 

My Houston buddies say it’s similar to Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered. 

I do not get the hype for the young MGP like SWUU and Tumblin’ Dice 5-6 year picks. They just aren’t that great. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Gotta say, I may need to hit you up next year for ofbb since I lost both my contacts and have one on the way, you have some serious work put in down there.

I’ve been very fortunate. A Birthday Bourbon for every year I’ve collected. I think it’s distinguished itself as the best annual release in bourbon.

If you’re still in Kentucky, you better go get those 4 Maker’s Mark DNAs for $440. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Gotta say, I may need to hit you up next year for ofbb since I lost both my contacts and have one on the way, you have some serious work put in down there.

Just spent a weekend in NYC and saw my first birthday bourbon in the wild at a liquor store near Chelsea Market-$1k for 2021.  Hard pass-

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

my brother is a bourbon man and xmas is upon us, is whistling pig a good gift ? i saw it on the shelf at costco liquor store, i think was a 12 yr something

maybe a better question, what's something you'd like to get as a gift and on the shelf ?

I’d be careful there. 100% ryes aren’t for everybody. 

I’d suggest a Bowman Single Barrel. Buffalo Trace’s two most popular mashbills and aged 8-10 years. 

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

my brother is a bourbon man and xmas is upon us, is whistling pig a good gift ? i saw it on the shelf at costco liquor store, i think was a 12 yr something

maybe a better question, what's something you'd like to get as a gift and on the shelf ?

I’d like a Remus Repeal V.  

I’ve been very fortunate. A Birthday Bourbon for every year I’ve collected. I think it’s distinguished itself as the best annual release in bourbon.

If you’re still in Kentucky, you better go get those 4 Maker’s Mark DNAs for $440. 

I've come across 1 or 2 of the proofs, but didn't pull the trigger since it was some expensive ass makers. I've been mostly buying shelf stuff and being selective on releases lately

We dont really get special stuff around these parts.  So are any of the below worth a shit?

Jeffersons Ocean

Knob Creek Smoked Maple

Baker's 7 years

Makers Mark Cask Strength

Wild Turkey Russell Reserve

Michter's

Jefferson's Reserve (and Jefferson regular)

Woodford Double Oak

Eagle Rare SB 10

Smooth Ambler Contradiction/Old Scout

James E Pepper 1776

Hudson Baby

Theres also Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece that costs like too much to spend on Bourbon.  I think Eagle Rare is the one I've seen mentioned in this thread.  Though I like plain ole Buffalo Trace just fine.

Edited by 52-80

51 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

We dont really get special stuff around these parts.  So are any of the below worth a shit?

Jeffersons Ocean

Knob Creek Smoked Maple

Baker's 7 years

Makers Mark Cask Strength

Wild Turkey Russell Reserve

Michter's

Jefferson's Reserve (and Jefferson regular)

Woodford Double Oak

Eagle Rare SB 10

Smooth Ambler Contradiction/Old Scout

James E Pepper 1776

Hudson Baby

Theres also Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece that costs like too much to spend on Bourbon.  I think Eagle Rare is the one I've seen mentioned in this thread.  Though I like plain ole Buffalo Trace just fine.

Yes to Michter's (the bourbon, I assume), ER10, Russell's Reserve, and Maker's Cask.  I know several people really like the Woodford Double Oaked, but I haven't had it.  Jefferson's Reserve is okay but overshadowed by other bottles you can get for about the same $.  All the others I haven't tried, except for Baker's, which I haven't had since Beam remade the brand.

• Hook 'Em 1