Bourbon

Jimbaround

16 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

EHTBP Batch 12 dropped at Spec’s in SA today. They put everything on the shelf with no call list. 131.1 proof. 

IMG_8900.jpeg

I think the Houston Bourbon Facebook groups got a hold of your post Yev. I heard the line at Smith was about 30+ deep at 945 this morning. 

No EHTBP, but they did put out 3 cases of 13th Colony Double Oak Cask Strength. 

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 1:46 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the Houston Bourbon Facebook groups got a hold of your post Yev. I heard the line at Smith was about 30+ deep at 945 this morning. 

No EHTBP, but they did put out 3 cases of 13th Colony Double Oak Cask Strength. 

Surprisingly this was around 3:30pm on a Friday. A buddy of mine in town texted me that afternoon and let me know it was dropping so I figured I’d take a chance. Glad I did. Hopefully this is a trend that continues.  So tired of the fucking call lists where all the good stuff goes to the same people over and over. 

20 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Surprisingly this was around 3:30pm on a Friday. A buddy of mine in town texted me that afternoon and let me know it was dropping so I figured I’d take a chance. Glad I did. Hopefully this is a trend that continues.  So tired of the fucking call lists where all the good stuff goes to the same people over and over. 

image.gif.24ee6b74186128119c6b817c6c6387d8.gif

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

image.gif.24ee6b74186128119c6b817c6c6387d8.gif

Why should call lists be a thing? I spend probably $5k a year on whiskey, with most of it going towards various picks and groups I’m part of.  I don’t just go for the tater bottles. I like a variety of high quality, interesting stuff.  I spend maybe a few hundred bucks a year at the big box stores in TX. I don’t need to buy daily drinker BS that’s on the shelf because I’ve moved on from most of that stuff (and appreciate their participation in my bourbon journey).

I drink/share everything I buy and only participate in trades with local friends.  My collection is to the point where I choose to be selective with what I buy. I get that BTAC level stuff should go to best customers, but why should stuff like ECBP and Stagg be on a call list (which is what I’m told every time I go into a Specs)? 

Basically, fuck Spec’s (except last Friday when they actually put something great on the shelf 🤘🏻). 

• Like 2

Why should call lists be a thing? I spend probably $5k a year on whiskey, with most of it going towards various picks and groups I’m part of.  I don’t just go for the tater bottles. I like a variety of high quality, interesting stuff.  I spend maybe a few hundred bucks a year at the big box stores in TX. I don’t need to buy daily drinker BS that’s on the shelf because I’ve moved on from most of that stuff (and appreciate their participation in my bourbon journey).
I drink/share everything I buy and only participate in trades with local friends.  My collection is to the point where I choose to be selective with what I buy. I get that BTAC level stuff should go to best customers, but why should stuff like ECBP and Stagg be on a call list (which is what I’m told every time I go into a Specs)? 
Basically, fuck Spec’s (except last Friday when they actually put something great on the shelf ). 

Do yourself and all of us a favor and 1) pay no mind to what that tater you quoted says and put that idiot on ignore. 2) See #1. 3)repeat steps 1 and 2.
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Basically, fuck Spec’s (except last Friday when they actually put something great on the shelf 🤘🏻). 

Spec's Smith Street is still a good store. When I walk in there, I know them and they know me. I'm not on the call list because of points. I'm on the call list because I shop there frequently. They floor drop Stagg Jr, ECBP, and everything below it. Cellar Aged went on the shelf. So do all the JD Special Releases. Everybody with a day off has a chance I suppose. 

But yes, all of the other stores in Houston are going to put Blanton's and up on a call list. 

16 hours ago, deft said:

I miss the EW SiB. What’s the replacement in the same value/$ price point?

Bill's reference to EW 1783 makes sense, though 1783 isn't as smooth as the SiB.  Regular ol' Elijah Craig would be around the same price and comparable, IMO.

The answer a few years ago would have been McKenna BiB (same mash bill, bottled at a higher proof), but not anymore.

32 minutes ago, RichUT said:

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/little-book-chapter-7-in-retrospect

Picked this up the other day and I can definitely confirm that there is a lot to unpack in this release. It’s a whiskey you really have to pay attention to as you’re drinking it, but there is a lot to like in there.

I'll look for it. Interesting blend. 

Cask strength/barrel strength (?) Beam rye is always worth the price tag. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How was the OFC? I’m also curious about the High West Cask Strength. 

The OFC definitely benefits from the 25 years in the barrel. It’s only like 90 proof, so it needs the oak to punch up the flavor.  Pretty typical bourbon notes, but a cool experience to say I’ve had it. 

Didn’t get into the High West, but my buddy owned it up later in the evening and he said he liked it. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i would have stayed past the point of needing an uber.  some good selections there.  what stood out for you?

The Old Fitz 1849 was pretty wild. It’s from somewhere between 1955-65 and was crazy to drink something from that era. It’s only around 90 proof or so, but tons of flavor. Didn’t taste thin either at that proof. 

• Hook 'Em 1