Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 12/23/2018 at 9:34 AM, joe dirt said:

my wife came home with the little guy on the left yesterday morning. my buddy then dropped off the guy on the right 1/2 hour later. nothing mind blowing, but i like em just fine. 

33-ED1731-40-EC-4673-8-D37-2-E2556605-EA

I've got shit tons of every edition of that stuff you can find.  And we are pouring it like it's going to go bad at the CTD household right about now.  Merry Christmas you filthy bastards!

• Like 1

Picked up an ETL, 8 yr Parker's Heritage Collection Barrel Finish and BT Single Barrel Select this weekend. Told my family don't shop for me. Santa came early.

How is that Parker’s Barrel Finished? Seen it at a number of bars but haven’t ordered it. Orange Curaçao barrels right? I find orange too often overpowers whiskey.

32 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

I’m in Houston for the holidays. Any suggestions anyone is willing to share where I can do some hunting? My parents have no brown water, so drinking St Arnold’s Xmas Ale this evening.

Spec's Midtown, check out the glass case. They'll have something decent if you're willing to pay for it. 

Houston isn't a great town for picking. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If I win the lottery for the Pappy here, that's exactly what I'll do.  Not a fan and don't want to deprive those that are Fans ... and if I can make a little coin on the side.. well.........

I think I posted on the old site I bought out a large restaurant group's allotment 4 years ago.  Don't ask but they sell absolute shitload in booze but no pappy.  Think lounge/club.  I believe I paid 18k cash which seemed insane to spend on booze but it paid off... gave some mid level stuff away.  Kept all the 23/20/15/rye and they've just gone up and up.  The rye has gone through the roof.  We were offered $50kish to take them to auction but passed.  Will hold on and if a top client has a taste for it we'll let one go.  Otherwise I'll keep pounding Blanton's, straight from the barrel or gold, and finish off the 12/10 that I've still got for the Pappy.  I'll keep at least 3 full sets (rye/10/12/15/20/23).  Not really a humble brag - bragging is when you pound them, not hold them.  Need to get to that 3 comma club...

Anyways, bottoms up gents.

Edited by ChiTownDoc
boozing
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think I posted on the old site I bought out a large restaurant group's allotment 4 years ago.  Don't ask but they sell absolute shitload in booze but no pappy.  Think lounge/club.  I believe I paid 18k cash which seemed insane to spend on booze but it paid off... gave some mid level stuff away.  Kept all the 23/20/15/rye and they've just gone up and up.  The rye has gone through the roof.  We were offered $50kish to take them to auction but passed.  Will hold on and if a top client has a taste for it we'll let one go.  Otherwise I'll keep pounding Blanton's, straight from the barrel or gold, and finish off the 12/10 that I've still got for the Pappy.  I'll keep at least 3 full sets (rye/10/12/15/20/23).  Not really a humble brag - bragging is when you pound them, not hold them.  Need to get to that 3 comma club...

Anyways, bottoms up gents.

I just hope you're a not a surgeon. 

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How is that Parker’s Barrel Finished? Seen it at a number of bars but haven’t ordered it. Orange Curaçao barrels right? I find orange too often overpowers whiskey.

It's terrific and at 110 proof. The Orange finish is very little if at all. Helps bring out the other flavors even more. Actually, myself and wife like the PH more than the ETL and my wife likes the lower proof bourbons. This is not to say anything bad about the ETL. Been searching for this for years. It doesn't disappoint.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

ER10 is plentiful out here on the Left Coast.  Weller and ETL?  Not  so much.

I can find ER everywhere in and outside of Houston. Specs doesn't put it on the shelf or that's what I was told by the FW manager. If you can find a liquor store in Louisiana. You can usually find it in abundance.

This is the 1st time I have seen a ETL in a store in several years. With the exception of Luckys in Beaumont. They have it in a case, but not for sale. Its for display only. WTF

16 hours ago, HookEm said:

Merry Christmas to me. Nice haul the last few days...

Looking forward to trying the Balcones Blue Corn cask strength. Any opinions?

Had the 1910 last night. Really like it.f9923f9aefc2e83f5172dea9025ad8ec.jpg

Looooove Balcones Blue Corn Bourbon... my favorite product of theirs. A little hot and in-your-face, but thats how i likes it

1 minute ago, mbpcb said:

While in Houston been looking for watering holes to visit. Anyone vouch for a place called Whiskey Cake?

I've been to the Katy location numerous times. They have everything you'd ever want, but you'll pay for it. I'd ask about flights, and check the price before you order. The prices on their bourbon/whiskey are very dated. 

The food is pretty good. They're into local ingredients so it's pretty hard to mess that up. 

I've been to the Katy location numerous times. They have everything you'd ever want, but you'll pay for it. I'd ask about flights, and check the price before you order. The prices on their bourbon/whiskey are very dated. 
The food is pretty good. They're into local ingredients so it's pretty hard to mess that up. 

Thanks. Was planning to go to that location with friends tomorrow.