Bourbon

Jimbaround

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I liked the 2017 Handy better than the 2017 Stagg. But darn, it was smooth. 

I would have agreed with you six months ago, but I have both and drink them weekly. I have to agree to disagree, but there is no wrong.

Edited by ckhorn

7 hours ago, huge said:

How is this Parkers anyway?

People have talked a lot of shit about it online and it’s one of the lowest priced PHC bottles on the secondary.   But i had a pour at Oasthouse last week and really enjoyed it.  Was expecting the orange finish to overpower but it’s actually really low key.  I’d buy the hell out of it at retail and I’m considering paying $135 for a bottle.  

From Balcones.

Perhaps the biggest news of the quarter though, is not from a new esoteric cask strength product but from a whisky class with which many American consumers are quite familiar.  In 2019, Balcones will release a new core product which we are calling Texas Pot Still Bourbon. This straight bourbon whisky is distilled in our 100% copper pot stills, aged for a minimum of 24 months in new American oak barrels, made from a mashbill of Roasted Blue Corn, Texas Wheat, Texas Rye, and Malted Barley and is bottled at 92 proof.  As always with Balcones Distilling, this whisky is mashed, fermented, distilled, aged and bottled in Waco, TX and is never colored or chill filtered.  The distillery release of Texas Pot Still Bourbon should coincide with the public release throughout Texas and in some select markets outside of the state.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Hold on. Let me go check it out.

Some Orange-Honey scent to the nose. Orange-Honey taste, but not over the top. Nice little burn on the back end. Something similar to MWND, but stronger and not as desert y. A very smooth bourbon, but a little dry. I got it for $99.00.  Sales on the 2nd market around $300.

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

From Balcones.

Perhaps the biggest news of the quarter though, is not from a new esoteric cask strength product but from a whisky class with which many American consumers are quite familiar.  In 2019, Balcones will release a new core product which we are calling Texas Pot Still Bourbon. This straight bourbon whisky is distilled in our 100% copper pot stills, aged for a minimum of 24 months in new American oak barrels, made from a mashbill of Roasted Blue Corn, Texas Wheat, Texas Rye, and Malted Barley and is bottled at 92 proof.  As always with Balcones Distilling, this whisky is mashed, fermented, distilled, aged and bottled in Waco, TX and is never colored or chill filtered.  The distillery release of Texas Pot Still Bourbon should coincide with the public release throughout Texas and in some select markets outside of the state.

Please age more and keep it under $50.

Well boys, I hit that certain oaky liquor store off of 183 today. I was pretty impressed with their store picks. 

Little Book from Total. That stuff would last about 5 minutes up front at a Houston location. 

Its ridiculously easy to find Weller 107 and ER10 in this town. It goes without saying y’all are fortunate  to live in Austin, but your cups runneth over. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well boys, I hit that certain oaky liquor store off of 183 today. I was pretty impressed with their store picks. 

Little Book from Total. That stuff would last about 5 minutes up front at a Houston location. 

Its ridiculously easy to find Weller 107 and ER10 in this town. It goes without saying y’all are fortunate  to live in Austin, but your cups runneth over. 

Did they have antique?

On 4/11/2018 at 1:22 PM, Dutchrudder said:

My brother got me a gift of Flaviar for Christmas, but when I went to sign up, they said they don't ship to Texas.

Furk. I didn't see this post and just tried to sign up based on a friend's recommendation. I had the same problem. F our liquor laws in this state. Guess I'll ask my friend in TN or my boss in FL.

My haul from my recent adventure in Austin: 

Oak: 

Knob Creek Single Barrel Store Pick, 13-14 Years 

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Store Pick (he swore by, said it was awesome, so I acquiesced) 

Old Scout 107 Single Barrel Store Pick (I was on the fence about this one until I remember someone in this thread is hoarding the stuff because Smooth Ambler is phasing it out to introduce their Big Level s***) 

Barrel Cask Strength Single Barrel Store Pick, 14 Years (this one was pricey, but if it's good enough for NASA and the same price, what the heck?) 

Sagamore Rye Single Barrel Store Pick (I bought it because of the label. The Austin Bourbon Hunters can draw pretty well. 

I'm planning to drink the Sagamore this weekend to change it up with a nice rye. It's going to be "cold" in Houston this weekend. 

Twin

ER10 

They had one behind the counter for some reason. Do they just sell one and then replace it every time? They also had a couple bottle of MWND at retail. I think High West released a lot this year. It's been really easy to find. 

Lil' Deb's

Antique 

Total

Little Book - Noe Simple Task 

Big Deb's

Bourbon wise, probably the most disappointing part of the trip. They had some Little Book at 130% mark up, and that was it. However, they did have two dozen bottles of Hideous. Anybody that went to Cain & Abel's West Campus in the mid to late 2000s has enjoyed an H Bomb. Apparently Hideous has fallen on hard times and they're going out of business. The guy at Deb's said it'd be the last shipment they'll receive. I bought 4 bottles for sentimental purposes. 

Tell me about Booker's. 

I had a bottle in 2017 that was just normal Booker's Small Batch, around 126-128 proof. 

Its appears the Noes have done four special releases of Booker's since 2015.  The 2018 releases: 1)The Kathleen, 2)Chew, 3)BBQ and 4)Kitchen Table. I was curious about the releases, so I bought a bottle of Kitchen Table and passed on a bottle of BBQ. 

Kitchen Table is the last release, and I assume it's the best. It's probably a marketing gimmick, but are these releases significantly better than your standard Booker's Small Batch? 

I've read a little and heard about the Booker's 25 and 30 Anniversary Editions. Both are supposed to be phenomenal. 

Booker’s is my go-to when I’m not drinking old turkey.  

Of the small batch releases, I like “center-cut” 2015-03  and “off your rocker” 2016-05.  There are also some good round table selections pre-2015.

Of the special releases, I wasn’t too impressed with the 30th although it was freshly opened when I sipped it.  I’ll revisit it in 2 weeks.  The 25yr anniversary  2014-01 is a stellar bottle with a bit older juice in the blend.  Another good release in 2014 is an export from Japan and it’s called Fred’s Select, a private small batch made for a large grocery store Seijo Ishi.  This is good juice if you can find a bottle.  The 10yr anniversary bottling I haven’t opened yet but saving it when Fred or Freddie comes to town.  

The true unicorn of the bunch goes to the brown wax Booker’s.  I have a ‘82 and it is by far, the best tasting Booker’s in my stash.  

15 hours ago, huge said:

Last bottle of 12 I bought I paid $50.

I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

I got a bottle, singular,of Weller 12 in 2018. My stash will be hurting by 2020 if I don’t do better this year. 

I’ll also probably make a batch of Poor Man’s Pappy every 6 months and let it sit for a year before drinking it. I started the latest batch in November 2018. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I got a bottle, singular,of Weller 12 in 2018. My stash will be hurting by 2020 if I don’t do better this year. 

I’ll also probably make a batch of Poor Man’s Pappy every 6 months and let it sit for a year before drinking it. I started the latest batch in November 2018. 

I have made several batches of PMP over the last couple of years and really haven't noticed a difference in taste after 3-4 weeks.  Just my experience...

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My haul from my recent adventure in Austin: 

Oak: 

Knob Creek Single Barrel Store Pick, 13-14 Years 

Buffalo Trace Single Barrel Store Pick (he swore by, said it was awesome, so I acquiesced) 

Old Scout 107 Single Barrel Store Pick (I was on the fence about this one until I remember someone in this thread is hoarding the stuff because Smooth Ambler is phasing it out to introduce their Big Level s***) 

Barrel Cask Strength Single Barrel Store Pick, 14 Years (this one was pricey, but if it's good enough for NASA and the same price, what the heck?) 

Sagamore Rye Single Barrel Store Pick (I bought it because of the label. The Austin Bourbon Hunters can draw pretty well. 

I'm planning to drink the Sagamore this weekend to change it up with a nice rye. It's going to be "cold" in Houston this weekend. 

Twin

ER10 

They had one behind the counter for some reason. Do they just sell one and then replace it every time? They also had a couple bottle of MWND at retail. I think High West released a lot this year. It's been really easy to find. 

Lil' Deb's

Antique 

Total

Little Book - Noe Simple Task 

Big Deb's

Bourbon wise, probably the most disappointing part of the trip. They had some Little Book at 130% mark up, and that was it. However, they did have two dozen bottles of Hideous. Anybody that went to Cain & Abel's West Campus in the mid to late 2000s has enjoyed an H Bomb. Apparently Hideous has fallen on hard times and they're going out of business. The guy at Deb's said it'd be the last shipment they'll receive. I bought 4 bottles for sentimental purposes. 

His Buffalo Trace Store Pick was really good. I need to go pick up another bottle

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

His Buffalo Trace Store Pick was really good. I need to go pick up another bottle

He seemed like a really good dude with fair pricing for a small store. He offered to sell me a bottle of Boss Hog III for $300. It’s a great price given the MSRP, but no Boss Hog is steeply overpriced. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

f13957470c6eca68ec4e6345bb4987f9.jpg

You see this one?

I do. Yikes. 

I think Buffalo Trace is doing it because they have a lot of Weller Antique to sell and they know they get $50 a bottle for it. 

Check out Episode 182 of Bourbon Pursuit. It’s a long interview/discussion with Jeff Hopmayer. Jeff is one of the world’s leading bourbon brokers. He finds sourced bourbon barrel and then sells it to brands like Kentucky Owl. During the discussion he argues that no “premium” bourbon should be priced under $50 because it’s impossible for sources brands to make money under this threshold. 

I know comparing sourcers to distilleries is like comparing apples to oranges, but I’m sure Buffalo Trace is keenly aware of what their competitors prices are and what the market will bear. 

Bourbon Pursuit also interviewed Larry Kass of Heaven Hill guys in episode 181, and of course they asked about Heaven Hill 6.

HH6 I believe was sold only in Kentucky for $15 a bottle. It was the gold standard for bottom shelf bourbons. 

He said simply Heaven Hill didn’t want to divert barrels from brands like Elijah Craig to keep HH6 going. “We’re running a bourbon business, not a bourbon charity.”

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I've been enjoying WT101 quite a bit lately. Thinking of dipping into some of the Russell's Reserve. I've read mixed reviews of the 10 year. How is the single barrel? 

I’d find a store pick if possible. 

The Wild Turkey folks swear up and down they haven’t changed a thing with 101, but almost every expert says it was much better about 10 years ago before the bourbon craze.

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d find a store pick if possible. 

The Wild Turkey folks swear up and down they haven’t changed a thing with 101, but almost every expert says it was much better about 10 years ago before the bourbon craze.

I've been drinking it for about 10 years.  It's probably changes a bit, but I don't care...still enjoy it and a great value.  I took a bottle of WT Rare Breed barrel proof for the hotel in NOLA and it was awesome.  

How many of the places you shopped had Eagle Rare?

36 minutes ago, Paco said:
On 1/15/2019 at 8:57 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

How many of the places you shopped had Eagle Rare?

It hasn't been on the shelf or behind the counter in Houston for a few years. 

Well done Austin Bourbon Hunters, the Sagamore Rye SIngle Barrel is pretty tasty. 

Spec's Single Barrel Store Pick circumstance is pathetic. I believe they have a WhistlePig 10Year Single Barrel and that's it. Total has a store pick on every row. Other than access to the unicorns, Spec's is beyond saving.