Next 10 years, who are you taking Mbappe or Haaland?

shnsajax

Next 10 years, who are you taking Mbappe or Haaland?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the guy you want for your team, money is no object.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

yeah, i may want to change my answer.

so help me if Real Madrid gets them both.

i can't remember which former stat player it was, but i read that some former European star told Haaland, "if you want to win the Ballon d'Or, don't go play with Mbappe." strong words. i hope he listens. 

also for those who didn't watch the match yesterday, i didn't just bump this thread because he scored the winning goal with 30 seconds left- Mbappe was just unreal yesterday. during the post match analysis the folks in the studio said, "this wasn't real madrid vs psg, this was madrid vs Mbappe." he dominated that match, and looked like the best player in the world. 

On 2/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, Jive Turkey said:

that's the thing about Mbappe.  for country and club, he plays on teams absolutely stacked with world class superstars.  and he always looks like the single best and most indispensable player on each of those teams.

Mbappe, to me, is a mix of Henry and Neymar. he's got the speed, the power, the straightforward style of play, and the lethal finishing of Henry. but on top of that, he also has the skills, the flair, and the improvisational skills of someone like Neymar. which, i'm now realizing, sort of makes him a smaller, faster Ronaldo Fenómeno type of player. he just has everything you could want as an attacker, save maybe the strength and ability in the air of bigger CFs. still, just an amazing all around attacking player. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Erling reminds me of Ibra--tall, strong, and immensely skilled--but with a better work ethic.

To me he is part Ronaldo Nazario and part Ibra. He’s the strongest player on the field and on the ball and he’s faster than almost every defender in the EPL. He strikes the ball as quickly and cleanly as Ronaldo from any angle around the box needed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

One thing that I think that’s left out of this discussion is their coaching. And I think Pep has stepped up another level. He clearly had Haaland coached right and knows exactly how to use him. 

there's also the sharing element of it.  mbappe is sharing with neymar and messi up front.  haaland has 9 goals in 5 games and the next highest has 2.  mbappe has 5 in 5 but neymar has 7 and messi has 3.

i'm imagining kdb with through passes and other service to mbappe against the likes bournemouth, newcastle, west ham, crystal palace, and nottingham and it probably looks pretty easy in that scenario...just like it has looked easy in psg's matches against ligue 1 opponents.

the problem is that mbappe has fully embraced diva status and neymar's bullshit has rubbed off a bit in style of play which is unfortunate.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So we are comparing a guy that wins trophies every 4 years vs what Haaland is going to be doing the next 4 years?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952tschamx1pq4egxjqauf

trophies mbappe has won:

2015: french youth cup winner for monaco.

2016-17: u19 european cup for france.

2016-17: league trophy with monaco.

2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20, 2021-22 (and presumably 2022-23): league trophies with psg.

7 domestic cups (3 time french cup winner, 3 time french super cup winner, 2 time french league cup winner)

2018: world cup trophy.

2021: nations cup trophy.

so i count 16 trophies for mbappe in 7 years.

haaland has won a german domestic cup, an austrian cup, and the austrian league.  and is currently 5 points off first in league with a zillion dollar club and the best assist player in the world.  norway hasn't sniffed a world cup since before haaland was born.

a reasonable debate could be had about who the more impactful player is but saying mbappe wins trophies every four years is a bit spursy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sticking with Haaland for now. PSG is turning into a shitshow of distractions, and I can't take Mbappe seriously in Ligue 1 while Halland is breaking EPL records in his first year with a legit chance for the Treble.

If the players were stocks I am investing 70% into Halland and 30% into Mbappe right now. 

While many of you are likely yelling "GO HAALAND or "GO MBAPPE!" I'm yelling "GO FINANCIAL FAIR PLAY and good custodians of football clubs! due diligence on sources of wealth! sound financial business models!

In all fairness City got Haaland for less than ManU got Antony. But I fully agree and things need to change, and a Super League isn’t the answer either.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...