The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

On 10/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, UpperWestside said:

twice the vitriol and hatred you could ever hope to find in a thread in the CR

Been saying that for a while. Noobs can get hammered flat if they start popping off hot sports opinions in football or one of the related forums. You can wind up with a lot of negs fast.

I don't know if it's over my head or I'm too sober.  But what is this vitriolic/CR-esque posting rhetoric sweeping over the football forum?  I mean, we all make grumpy posts when the team isn't playing well, but I don't get the parallels between that and cloak room posting?  What am I missing here?  

40 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't know if it's over my head or I'm too sober.  But what is this vitriolic/CR-esque posting rhetoric sweeping over the football forum?  I mean, we all make grumpy posts when the team isn't playing well, but I don't get the parallels between that and cloak room posting?  What am I missing here?  

Some people are still getting over the Astros losing to the Rangers. 

No I get that we all get pissy when things arent going our way in sports.  But I meant to say that I don't notice what others on this thread are talking about.  I'm not seeing the CR-like posting going on with regards to the sports forums.  Other than some veiled racism

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 3:17 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Been saying that for a while. Noobs can get hammered flat if they start popping off hot sports opinions in football or one of the related forums. You can wind up with a lot of negs fast.

I don’t watch much college football, but seeing people who are legitimately upset with how Texas looks despite being 9-1 now is incredible. It’s a game. If you start to take it too seriously back away from it and reevaluate where you are in life. I can understand the 20 something fan having an attachment to the team, but not older folks getting angry over this stuff. The football board is the most toxic forum on this site.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

I don’t watch much college football, but seeing people who are legitimately upset with how Texas looks despite being 9-1 now is incredible. It’s a game. If you start to take it too seriously back away from it and reevaluate where you are in life. I can understand the 20 something fan having an attachment to the team, but not older folks getting angry over this stuff. The football board is the most toxic forum on this site.

Strongly disagree.

I am a Texas grad. Two degrees in fact. I love Texas football. I am left of center. Don’t tell me how to be when it comes to UT football.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Strongly disagree.

I am a Texas grad. Two degrees in fact. I love Texas football. I am left of center. Don’t tell me how to be when it comes to UT football.

I don’t much care if you’re left or right of center or way out in left field. How middle age people and beyond behave about a college sporting event is odd, at best. The vitriol and negativity in general on the football board has no equal on this site. 

• Drool 1

And I hope the prior message was not taken personally because there is no offense meant. It is observations on my part, nothing more. I have read you plenty in other spaces on this board and I enjoy your contributions, especially when you helped guide me through taking care of my first tattoo when it hurt like all get out to walk.

2009 bcs game kinda took the edge off that level of fanaticism for me. All the feels were a bit muted after that one. Then you have kids come along and the schedules get complex and you are lucky if you can pop into a sportsbar for a few beers to catch a quarter in between their games. 

Edited by Anastasis

8 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Strongly disagree.

My point is that we accept the vitriol in football. It's a part of the game day experience. No troll goes in a thread with the expectations of being treated as anything other than a troll on a timer. The same person could go troll any thread in CR and they would expect to be able to post disingenuous bullshit in the guise of 'just asking questions' and they would be afforded the benefit of the doubt. 

It's gotten better. Two of the more persistent and egregious troll posters are quickly shown the door when they return. But, that the social norms of football are better or different than the forums dedicated to politics is not right. A noob that unknowingly posts in football some hot sports opinions is more likely to get a pile of negs than in CR. 

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

You can’t believe a sports fan would be critical of a sports team because [insert any reason]? Really? Have you ever met any sports fans? Are they ever allowed day passes up to your tower?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

You can’t believe a sports fan would be critical of a sports team because [insert any reason]? Really? Have you ever met any sports fans? Are they ever allowed day passes up to your tower?

It’s college athletics. That’s it. Nothing more and nothing less. Yes I find it odd behavior how angry people get over athletes 18-22 or so years old.  It’s entertainment and nothing more. Of all the things in life to spend time being angry about being upset about college sports, or really sports in general, are something that I cannot understand anymore as I get older.

For me it took a couple of moments in life to reach this point because I was guilty of the same misplaced anger about sports. You get one shot at life and wasting years of your life being pissed over something that should be a nice diversion from real life is sad to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

My point is that we accept the vitriol in football. It's a part of the game day experience. No troll goes in a thread with the expectations of being treated as anything other than a troll on a timer. The same person could go troll any thread in CR and they would expect to be able to post disingenuous bullshit in the guise of 'just asking questions' and they would be afforded the benefit of the doubt. 

It's gotten better. Two of the more persistent and egregious troll posters are quickly shown the door when they return. But, that the social norms of football are better or different than the forums dedicated to politics is not right. A noob that unknowingly posts in football some hot sports opinions is more likely to get a pile of negs than in CR. 

You kind of spelled out my thoughts with this. The cloak room is okay. I can tolerate and be fine with reading someone’s differing opinion there. We all look at the world differently. I am sure people think it’s a liberal echo chamber, but that’s more on having so few posters willing to engage on topics in good faith because of who they voted for in 2016 and 2020. Chrispy gets shown the door in there repeatedly and GRHorn does on the rare occasions he comes in under a new name. Outside of that there’s not much out of the norm going on. 

The stupidity around sports, specifically things like football, has basically driven me to not care about them anymore. It's an exaggerated version of the worst qualities of America.

College football was a lot more palatable, but it's gotten just as horrid as the NFL. I didn't even watch Alabama's last championship, I just couldn't be bothered. Cycling, F1 and a bit of EPL is about all I'm good for these days.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, G650 said:

The stupidity around sports, specifically things like football, has basically driven me to not care about them anymore. It's an exaggerated version of the worst qualities of America.

As I've gotten older, I care less and less about sports (but still care a lot), due to the rule I adopted: If it doesn't make you happy, get it out of your life.

And yeah, the game threads on this site are full of people with just absurd levels of anger.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/12/2023 at 1:50 AM, UpperWestside said:

I don’t much care if you’re left or right of center or way out in left field. How middle age people and beyond behave about a college sporting event is odd, at best. The vitriol and negativity in general on the football board has no equal on this site. 

Criticism of Sark is warranted but I support him and have definitely enjoyed the season. I’m 45. I watched two almost fights in Amon Carter on Saturday. Both initiated by men my age, and those not wearing jerseys. One was totally initiated by a jackass Texas fan, fists were thrown, and security took both away (y’all may recall this at end of game in the concession area leaving the stadium).

The other the TCU fan was the clear aggressor and the middle aged Texas fine said “I’m not going to fight you. This is silly.  Your 5-year old son is watching you. 

Behind me, the whole game, were two loudmouth UT fans, both women in their late 20s or early 30s, that very clearly trying to get some TCU fans to engage them.  Nobody did because everyone probably knew where it’d go, as they were beyond obnoxious. 

Fan behavior and people going ape shit here bores me. 

On 10/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, UpperWestside said:

The football forum is flat-out unreadable though and filled with twice the vitriol and hatred you could ever hope to find in a thread in the CR. 

Yep.