2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread

Machinator

Just now, Underdog said:

Good enough for Hickory, good enough for these fellas. 

What's sad is it looks like a pretty new arena - or maybe recently renovated. Seems like a design oversight to blast a third of one team's side of the court with sunlight during the day. 

Just now, ztejas said:

What's sad is it looks like a pretty new arena - or maybe recently renovated. Seems like a design oversight to blast a third of one team's side of the court with sunlight during the day. 

You're not familiar with Hinkle?  UF won the coin toss, picked the correct end of the court. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Almost as shocking as Boston not fixing that stupid wall thing at Fenway.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nah, Hinkle isn’t new—it’s old as dirt but has been renovated. Why would they take out the windows when their team is accustomed to playing in that type of environment and it was part of the original design? It’s a built in advantage for Butler, and it’s not illegal. I can see how people would wonder since it’s on the national stage this week.

It's pretty simple. If you think the sun shining through the window at Hinkle Fieldhouse and onto the court is one of the reasons the historic arena is the best place to hold a game, you're a basketball aficionado.

If you think otherwise, you're should not be allowed within the borders of Indiana nor, frankly, should you be allowed to watch basketball.

"The sun spots, the glare, the sunlight, that’s part of the story and history of here of the daytime games here through the years at Hinkle," CBS announcer Jim Nantz said during Friday's NCAA tournament first round game between Virginia Tech and Florida

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2021/03/19/ncaa-tournament-2021-sun-shining-onto-hinkle-fieldhouse-court-majestic/4766401001/

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Nah, Hinkle isn’t new—it’s old as dirt but has been renovated. Why would they take out the windows when their team is accustomed to playing in that type of environment and it was part of the original design? It’s a built in advantage for Butler, and it’s not illegal. I can see how people would wonder since it’s on the national stage this week.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2021/03/19/ncaa-tournament-2021-sun-shining-onto-hinkle-fieldhouse-court-majestic/4766401001/

Yeah, well, I think it's stupid, despite what some Indiana basketball blowhard writing for the Indy Star has to say about it. Different strokes I suppose.

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Best postseason in sports. Fight me

The first weekend is awesome, the best single weekend of sports there is based on volume of games and excitement in many of them....it drops off considerably after that many (though not all) years.

Plus definitely room for argument about the purity of the champion, but that's an issue in one form or another with any postseason. Unless you go to a European Soccer model of complete home/home round robin and whoever comes out on top of all that is the best there always is going to be that argument to some extent (though single elimination in a game that can be so streaky makes this one of the most questionable).  

Edited by Surly Bevo

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Built in 1928. Renovated a few times but the windows have always been there. Apparently it's part of the "charm"

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, well, I think it's stupid, despite what some Indiana basketball blowhard writing for the Indy Star has to say about it. Different strokes I suppose.

Having some character outside soulless cookie cutter concrete corporate cunthouses suits me just fine.  They swap ends of the court to mostly even it out.  Anything is better than giant converted stadiums with awkward seating, raised courts and (not as applicable this year) crowd noise vanishing into the ether.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The first weekend is awesome, the best single weekend of sports there is based on volume of games and excitement in many of them....it drops off considerably after that many (though not all) years.

I mostly agree.  The Sweet 16 round often has some surprising teams in it, but it can get chalky after that.  Of course UPenn, Indiana State, George Mason, VCU, Witchita State, Loyola of Chicago, and Butler would disagree.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I bet you also believe Texas/OU should be played at Jerryworld.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

High energy whitey probably said something as he rolled by the bench.

or maybe he thought he was "throwing" the ball at him

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Still holding my breath. You guys know better than anyone how good we are at blowing leads.

I went to Tech for 1.5 years before transferring to UT.  Tech is good at blowing in more ways than one. 

I’m here all day folks and haven’t started drinking yet!

• Haha 2

• Machinator changed the title to 2021 NCAA Tournament - Meta thread
  • immamac unpinned this topic